• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Dragon Ball movie announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beth Cyra

Why is Gohan a Super Saiyan? AAAAARGH!

Honestly shocked so many are hung up on this.

To me its the only way to make the character slightly interesting. Giving him a power boost that passes up a brand new SSJ level and several years of the hardest trainig in existence just for sitting on the ground was retarded.

Will be very happy if they drop that stupid thing.

It doesn't matter if it's canon or not.

Canon and non-canon are equally bad since frieza saga.

Toriyama was more suited for DB than DBZ. It should have ended with the legendary super saiyan.

Takao

Banned
Have they given details on the staff for this yet?

From the OP:

Following up on this morning’s announcement leak are the first details about the new animated Dragon Ball movie (and what appears to be a specifically Dragon Ball Z movie) on the way, now confirmed for a Japanese theatrical release 30 March 2013.

The tagline for the movie (as first seen on the mystery countdown website) is 最強、始動。(“The mightiest get moving.”), followed by 全人類待望。かつてない興奮へー。 (“All humanity has been waiting. Toward an unprecedented excitement–.”).

The movie’s director has been announced as Masahiro Hosoda (細田雅弘), who directed several episodes during the Cell arc of the Dragon Ball Z TV series. The script will be written by Yūsuke Watanabe (渡辺雄介), a newcomer to the franchise, though one with an extensive and on-going history of work. Animation direction will be provided by Tadayoshi Yamamuro (山室直儀), a well-known veteran of the franchise responsible for a plethora of animation direction and promotional art work.

Also included is a special note from original manga author Akira Toriyama, who appears to be “deeply involved” with the script writing of a Dragon Ball movie for the first time:

珍しく、というより初めてアニメーションに脚本の段階から深く関わらせてもらいました。
なにしろ久しぶりだったので忘れていることも多かったのですが、さすが原作者、すぐにテンポだけは思い出すことができました。
今回の映画は、オリジナルの雰囲気はそのままに、ほんの少しだけ味付けを現代風にして、昔どおりの楽しい娯楽作品になると思います!

It’s rare, or I should say, it’s the first time, that I’ve been deeply involved with the animation from the scriptwriting stage.
It had been a while, so there was a lot I’d forgotten, but as expected of the creator of the original work, I was soon able to get back into the tempo of things, at least.
For this film, while leaving the atmosphere of the original intact, we’ve added just a little bit of modern flavor, so I think it will be an enjoyable work of entertainment, just like old times.

A new www.dragonball2013.com domain name is listed on the promotional art, which currently loads a mostly-blank page (filled with just a couple placeholder dashes at the moment).

There may have been some additional staff announced but those are the main peeps.

Takao

Banned
He fucked up napa, cell, 2nd frieze and 1st cell. He's a G no doubt.

Also fucked Marron and 18.

pN6do.jpg

mondo cool

The Boat

I was never too crazy about the Mystic Gohan thing, but that might be because due to dubs we got like 1/10ths of the story in its intended form.

Varna

I was never too crazy about the Mystic Gohan thing, but that might be because due to dubs we got like 1/10ths of the story in its intended form.

What would that have been? He unlocked his true potential. That's about it right?

GT writers forgot about that detail so I'm not surprised these guys did too.

KurowaSan

With Mystic Gohan out of the way, Goku would be the strongest once again (if we don't count Gotenks). Maybe that's why.

If this is supposed to be after Buu and before DB ending, it's weird though. After Gohan got his power unlocked, his eyes changed and he still had those eyes in the original series ending... So much for Toriyama's involvement in the movie, I guess he also forgot about that...

With Mystic Gohan out of the way, Goku would be the strongest once again (if we don't count Gotenks). Maybe that's why.

If this is supposed to be after Buu and before DB ending, it's weird though. After Gohan got his power unlocked, his eyes changed and he still had those eyes in the original series ending... So much for Toriyama's involvement in the movie, I guess he also forgot about that...

Toriyama forgot Launch, who Tao Pai Pai was, that half-Saiyans are born with tails, and that Goku, Piccolo, and half the other fighters and their ki techniques were broadcast all over the world during past tournaments and shouldn't have been unknown by the time Mr. Satan came around.

This new ememy that Goku is fighting can't be all that much of a threat if he only needs to be in his Super Saiyan 1 transformation.........

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Toriyama forgot Launch, who Tao Pai Pai was, that half-Saiyans are born with tails, and that Goku, Piccolo, and half the other fighters and their ki techniques were broadcast all over the world during past tournaments and shouldn't have been unknown by the time Mr. Satan came around.

I wouldnt say "forgot" as much as "he fucking hated working on DBZ and decided to stop giving a shit about that kind of stuff"

He fucked up napa, cell, 2nd frieze and 1st cell. He's a G no doubt.

Also fucked Marron and 18.

Yes, Krillin is definitely the biggest pimp in DB/Z

and I'm also really glad to see Tien in the back there, hopefully they let the "weaker" characters get some ass kicking in on some minions or something.

Not gonna nit pick all the negatives about to the poster because to me, and DB is good DB especially new material (but the rabbit did make me laugh)

Yeah, I hope the other characters get to whoop-up on the other enemies as well. Obviously it'll be Goku front and center, but I'm hoping Vegeta, Piccolo, and Krillin get some time in the spot light as well.

This new ememy that Goku is fighting can't be all that much of a threat if he only needs to be in his Super Saiyan 1 transformation.........

Naturally, we're only seeing the first form of this new enemy.

jaxword

Yes, Krillin is definitely the biggest pimp in DB/Z

and I'm also really glad to see Tien in the back there, hopefully they let the "weaker" characters get some ass kicking in on some minions or something.

I'd be surprised if Tien comes back, since the actor is dead...

Didn't he try to turn super saiyan and ended up 'transforming' into that weird state? I thought he lost the ability in exchange for something better.

Btw who the fuck is Marron?

He gained the ability to gain SSJ power without expending the energy of transformation, which made him more powerful than a SSJ3 without changing appearance.

And Marron was the name of Krillin's old girlfriend whom his daughter is named for.

EVOL 100%

I'm guessing Krillin boning some other chick was only in the anime then? Only read the manga.

On a side note, naming your daughter dangerously close to your old GF's name is just... weird.

Maron

Was teen Gohan's character and first appearances after the Cell arc conceived slightly before Toriyama decided to keep Goku the main character or after?

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
I wanted to make a Dragon Ball community thread but I don't think anyone would care.

And really how often does new shit pop up anyways?

Aiii

So not worth it
I wanted to make a Dragon Ball community thread but I don't think anyone would care.

And really how often does new shit pop up anyways?

I hope this movie does well and we get at least one or two new ones a year. Fk the haters, I would love to see more original new stories in the DBZ universe.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
GT dub score just sounds depressing.

Maybe that's why I got bored with it a few eps in.

And with Dragon Ball you can't just resurrect a villain like SW is doing cause in DB the heroes are a million times stronger than any past villain.

No one mention Super 17.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom