• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Dragon Ball movie announced

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to wonder if Toriyama really 'forgot' about things or if he was just trolling the shit out of people. Maybe he just didn't care and wrote the plot in 5 seconds.

Doubt he was trolling, but it's likely he just didn't care after a certain point. He flat out said it was only a paycheck to him.

Reiko

Banned
Doubt he was trolling, but it's likely he just didn't care after a certain point. He flat out said it was only a paycheck to him.

Drawing the same damn thing gets tiring after a while. Not to mention he pulled the entire Buu Saga out of his ass in frustration.

I can't stand the new artists and animators they've been using.
That Bardock special looked especially generic and boring.

Early DBZ had a lot of charm and care put into it.

UJkZH.gif

Blame Toriyama too. His art took a nosedive after the Freeza Saga.

ajim

I can't stand the new artists and animators they've been using.
That Bardock special looked especially generic and boring.

Early DBZ had a lot of charm and care put into it.

UJkZH.gif

Nappa fucking rules. Wish he was still kicking it about. Would LOVE to see Nappa reppin Super Saiyan form!

Wiseblade

Nappa fucking rules. Wish he was still kicking it about. Would LOVE to see Nappa reppin Super Saiyan form!

How would you even tell when he's bald and has such tiny pupils? He could have been Super Saiyan the whole time, and nobody noticed!

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I always thought he was SSJ in the movie where Hitler came back from the dead. Or was that the GT episode when Goku fights Freezer and Cell again?

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
I hope Tarbles is in this movie. Should be fun. LOL Gokou fought Stalin droid from the Soviet Red Ribbon Army, not Hitler.

Takao

Banned
I hope Tarbles is in this movie. Should be fun. LOL Gokou fought Stalin droid from the Soviet Red Ribbon Army, not Hitler.

Yo! Son Goku & Friends Returns takes place after this movie's events, so no mention of Tarble should be expected, and given how that special was in such low availability that's fair.

As for Hitler, well in Movie 12 ...

DfI84.png

jaxword

Yo! Son Goku & Friends Returns takes place after this movie's events, so no mention of Tarble should be expected, and given how that special was in such low availability that's fair.

DfI84.png

This is the character they need to bring back.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad

DfI84.png

Rofl, well, I guess you can see the likeliness.

SMT

Why do people keep calling Sharrotto Goku's mother?
She doesn't even exist. LMAO

Who is Goku's mother? I think Fasha is his sister.

Takao

Banned
What in the world is Sharotto?

As for who Goku's mother is, well we don't know. I doubt Fasha is Goku's sister or something. She's too old.

Takao

Banned
Poster confirmed to be real, and some info on what the characters are:

The first image, with the poster, has text around the outside that reads:
”Z”の常識を破る破壊神、降臨!!
A God of Destruction who Violates the Common Sense of "Z" Descends!!
[n.b. I'm not sure whether this is supposed to be an in-universe statement, or directed at what the fans take for granted about the series. It could be both, I suppose.]

There's also a blurb that reads:
キービジュアル公開!! コイツが破壊神ビルスだ!!
Key visuals revealed!! This is the god of destruction, Bils!!

Apart from that, the poster is the same except for some minor background differences (such as Yamcha's positioning) and a credit to Akira Toriyama for the Story and Character Designs. Whoever leaked the original image must have had access to the work-in-progress at some stage.

The blurb here says:
劇場版新キャラクター ビルス&ウイス!!
New Movie Characters: Bils & Whis

ウイス
声優:森田成一
Whis
Voice Actor: Masakazu Morita

破壊神ビルス
声優:山寺宏一
God of Destruction, Bils
Voice Actor: Kōichi Yamadera

The term 破壊神 (hakaishin, meaning "God of Destruction") appears to be an actual title of some sort for Bils, as it's included in the box next to him that contains his name. As for my choice of name spellings, ウイス is the first three characters in ウイスキー ("whiskey"), while ビルス could be modified from ピルス ("pils", a.k.a. "pilsner", a kind of beer). I have no idea if that's anywhere near the mark, but the logic seems sound and that's what I'm going to go with for the sake of argument until I can think of something better. Japanese fans also seem to be in agreement, based on the 2ch thread and blog posts in Japanese.

Masakazu Morita previously played Tarble in the 2008 Jump Super Anime Tour special, Heya! Son Goku and Friends Return. Kōichi Yamadera, meanwhile, had subbed for Hirotaka Suzuoki as Tenshinhan in Dragon Ball Z episodes 82 and 84, back in 1991.

Incidentally, with Kōichi Yamadera playing cat-guy, I can't help but imagine him speaking in a thick Tōhoku dialect and singing his own praises. I think I've been watching more Anpanman with my daughter than is necessarily healthy.

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=595310#p595310

Takao

Banned
Unfortunately the beer name puns were shot down by the script writer. There's some speculation on what the puns are actually based on, but after the last round there's no point unless we get confirmation.

Anywhos:

http://www.dragonball2013.com/

Now that the promotional pages from next year’s first issue of Weekly Shōnen Jump covering the upcoming 2013 Dragon Ball Z movie have been officially released as of earlier today in Japan, Toei Animation’s official “Battle of Gods” website has been updated and overhauled with a new design, some new information, and the official movie poster that we’ve known about for a few weeks now. Currently only the “News”, “Movie”, and “Theater” sections are live, with all others listed as “Coming Soon”. Unlike the original iteration of the website, which featured an English version, this updated version is almost entirely in Japanese (albeit for the menu). The original teaser trailer is still available, although it appears Akira Toriyama’s comments originally published in Weekly Shōnen Jump have been removed.

battle_of_gods_website.jpg

Besides information about getting a “Collaboration Ticket” and special present, the only real additional information pertaining to the movie’s actual production is a short list of main staff members, which has been expanded upon from what was previously reported.

脚本: 渡辺雄介
Scenario: Yūsuke Watanabe

監督: 細田雅弘
Director: Masahiro Hosoda

音楽: 住友紀人
Music: Norihito Sumitomo

作画監督: 山室直儀
Animation Supervisor: Tadayoshi Yamamuro

美術監督: 加藤 浩
Art Director: Hiroshi Katō

色彩設定: 堀田哲平
Color Design: Teppei Horita

特集効果: 太田 直
Special Effects: Nao Ōta

CGディレクター: 宮原直樹
CG Director: Naoki Miyahara

製作担当: 藤岡和実
Production Supervisor: Kazumi Fujioka

As expected, the upcoming movie will indeed bring a few more newcomers to the regular Dragon Ball staff, one of which is quite an interesting choice — Norihito Sumitomo (住友紀人), who will be composing the theatrical score to the movie. Not only is he a newcomer to the franchise, but relatively new to the anime movie scene as well. He is most well known for composing the scores for various Japanese TV dramas and live-action films. The other new face to the franchise is color designer Teppei Horita (堀田哲平), although if you’re a One Piece fan, you’re already very familiar with his work.

On the flip side, we have franchise veterans Nao Ōta (太田 直) and Naoki Miyahara (宮原直樹) returning to supervise special effects and CG animation, respectively. Also returning to supervise the movie’s production process is Kazumi Fujioka (藤岡和実), a former assistant director for Dragon Ball Z and production supervisor for Dragon Ball GT.

As far as the cast is concerned, all of the normal hero voices we’ve come to know and love are listed. In addition, both Hikaru Midorikawa and Masaharu Satō are listed in the main cast, indicating that the cast for the film will most likely be the same as Dragon Ball Kai — Midorikawa replaced the late Hirotaka Suzuoki as Tenshinhan, while Satō replaced Hiroshi Masuoka (who was himself the replacement for the late Kōhei Miyauchi) as Kame-Sen’nin. Jōji Yanami is also listed, which means we’ll have the Narrator and/or Kaiō-sama on board for the film. Unfortunately, there is no obvious replacement for Videl’s voice listed, assuming she won’t be played by one of the existing female cast members.

And after all that, it’s now only a matter of time before we find out some of the movie’s more essential plot details. So stick around, because we’ll be sure to keep you updated with the most accurate information as more sections of the website become available!

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/2012/12/03/official-dragon-ball-z-battle-of-gods-website-updated/

As we reported last night, Toei Animation’s official “Battle of Gods” website was revamped yesterday; however, the majority of the new sections have not yet gone live. Thanks to some fun URL guessing, we have stumbled across the website’s new “Introduction” section that is not yet officially available to the public. The page provides an introduction to the series (all of which we’ve seen numerous times already), the special note from Akira Toriyama that was previously posted on the official site, and of course what many fans have been clamoring for; a brief synopsis of the movie. Unfortunately the page is in Japanese only, but fret not, for we have diligently translated it for you!

Akira Toriyama Joins the Battle.
Not only is the real “Dragon Ball” being resurrected with an all-star cast, but what’s more, for this historic project the original author Akira Toriyama is involved with the original work, story, and character design.

The story takes place several years after the titanic battle with Majin Buu, that determined the fate of the entire universe. Bils, the God of Destruction who maintains the balance of the universe, awakens from a long slumber! Hearing rumors that a Saiyan defeated Freeza, Bils tracks down Goku. Goku is so ecstatic that a tough enemy has appeared after such a long time, he ignores Kaiō’s advice and fights Bils, but cannot do a thing against his overwhelming power and is defeated. Bils leaves, but his eerie remark of “Is there nobody on Earth more worthy to destroy…?” lingers on… Can Goku and co. really stop the God of Destruction?!

While there’s still much left to be desired, it’s at least a great starting point for fan speculation. We still don’t know yet what role Whis will play — is he the one who tells Bils of Freeza’s defeat? Where do Whis and Bils come from exactly, and why was Bils asleep this whole time? All-in-all, it’s a great time to be a speculative Dragon Ball fanboy! So be sure to check Kanzenshuu for the latest movie news and updates — we’ve got you covered!

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/2012/12/03/dragon-ball-z-battle-of-gods-story-leaked-on-official-site/

q_q

If Bils is even more powerful than Cell and Buu, why would he give a fuck who killed someone as weak as Freiza?

That's kind of a twisted premise. Seems to suggest that a god of destruction created Frieza's race on purpose to be genocidal assholes for the sake of balance. I love it.

q_q

He maintains the balance of the universe. A great evil dying would indeed upset that balance.

Yeah but I guess when you look at dudes like Buu, Freiza ain't really that great of an evil. I mean, he ruled over a galaxy, whereas Buu was supposedly the most powerful evil in all the universe, even more powerful than the Kais. Just seems a bit far-fetched to me that this guy would care about Freiza being destroyed but not Buu. But then again this is DBZ, best to just enjoy for what it is I suppose.

He maintains the balance of the universe. A great evil dying would indeed upset that balance.

Plus, I guess Frieza's race is naturally occurring, while Cell and Buu were created, possibly during Bils' slumber, and thus he's unaware of their existence.

q_q

Plus, I guess Frieza's race is naturally occurring, while Cell and Buu were created, possibly during Bils' slumber, and thus he's unaware of their existence.

That would make sense I suppose. I'll check this out when it comes out over here, if just for nostalgia purposes than anything else.

Platy

That's kind of a twisted premise. Seems to suggest that a god of destruction created Frieza's race on purpose to be genocidal assholes for the sake of balance. I love it.

Would make perfect sense for a series so shonnen like Dragon Ball Z that everything is exploding at any given time

Anth0ny

Cool premise. I'm still worried it's going to end with Goku going SSJ3 and killing Bils in one shot, though...

If Goku can't lay a finger on Bils during their first encounter, you have to imagine he's a good deal stronger than Kid Buu. Goku (and Gotenks... and Vegeta) should be SSJ3 the majority of the fight, but this is a DBZ movie, so I probably shouldn't expect much...

Hopefully they actually have to think to defeat him, rather than get punched in the face an arbitrary number of times in order to power up enough to win.

I know this is DBZ and that's kinda how the DBZ movies work, but at the point they've chosen in the storyline they're kinda at a point of diminishing returns on SSJ3 and all that

Beth Cyra

Cool premise. I'm still worried it's going to end with Goku going SSJ3 and killing Bils in one shot, though...

If Goku can't lay a finger on Bils during their first encounter, you have to imagine he's a good deal stronger than Kid Buu. Goku (and Gotenks... and Vegeta) should be SSJ3 the majority of the fight, but this is a DBZ movie, so I probably shouldn't expect much...

I would be very happy to finally see SSJ3 Goku get a good long fight where he isn't holding back. The closest we've had is A Fusion Reborn but it didn't last very long and the fights in GT was a fucking travesty.

I just really hope that SSJ3 gets a decent use and not Anger->Transform->Dragon Fist.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Since the premise of this and the 2008 thing have to do with Freeza it's completely 100% clear that Toriyamasama wanted to end the series after Freeza.

Tookay

Since the premise of this and the 2008 thing have to do with Freeza it's completely 100% clear that Toriyamasama wanted to end the series after Freeza.

It looks like at the very least he recognizes Frieza was the pinnacle of his villains, in terms of buildup, characterization, and definable threat. Everybody else just felt like an asspull.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom