• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Dragon Ball movie announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reiko

Banned
Fuck you guys. Buu saga had a lot of dope shit going on. They def needed to cut the number of buus though and gotenks. Everything else was boss in my opinion.

No. Akira Toriyama was fed up when he wrote the Buu Saga. Everything was pulled out of his ass.

No. Akira Toriyama was fed up when he wrote the Buu Saga. Everything was pulled out of his ass.

Loved the majina vegeta fight with goku. Loved ssj3 goku. Loved fat buu and hercule. Loved kid buu and vegito. Everything else like saiyan man and three thousands buus and gotenks was ass. Hated gohan in school and videl. There was definitely some high points. Biggest flaw is that everything dragged and took too fucking long. Hence my excitement for a kai version. Also ssj3 theme. Another high point.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Well I disagree. in order to defeat Cell Goku had to figure out a way to gain more power and speed while being a super-saiyan because he saw that just pumping more power would leave them quite vulnerable. his ace in the hole was Gohan whom he knew that when angered can unleash power beyond any saiyan and once he could harness it in Super saiyan form he would be unstoppable. that sounds like technique and training to me.

Yeah, it had its high points and the best art of Toriyamas career, but way too many cases of "Im hitting this guy and he feels nothing! Noooo!"

To his credit though, the manga was always an enjoyable read, even the Buu saga. The anime, however ...

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
It's Videl. You can see Mark, her father, in the poster snoozing:

XvWsC.jpg

Looks almost like West Kaioshin in the background.

FreeMufasa

Loved the majina vegeta fight with goku. Loved ssj3 goku. Loved fat buu and hercule. Loved kid buu and vegito. Everything else like saiyan man and three thousands buus and gotenks was ass. Hated gohan in school and videl. There was definitely some high points. Biggest flaw is that everything dragged and took too fucking long. Hence my excitement for a kai version. Also ssj3 theme. Another high point.

No every fight was shit except the first few mins of kid but be goku. Every fight was so one sided, there was no struggle where you don't no who gonna win. There was no vegeta vs goku (saiyan saga), goku vs frieza, piccolo vs 17 type of fights.

Best example is gohan vs super buu. Ghan dominates den he eats the brats. Now super buu dominates, then vegetto arrives and he dominates. IMO, the best DBZ fights are the ones between 2 even Gs

Busaiku

I always heard ramblings that he actually liked working on Buu.
I mean, he didn't want to get to Buu in the 1st place, but since he was there, he was having more fun with it or something.

I dunno.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Yeah but I guess when you look at dudes like Buu, Freiza ain't really that great of an evil. I mean, he ruled over a galaxy, whereas Buu was supposedly the most powerful evil in all the universe, even more powerful than the Kais. Just seems a bit far-fetched to me that this guy would care about Freiza being destroyed but not Buu. But then again this is DBZ, best to just enjoy for what it is I suppose.

IIRC, the Planet Trade Organization that Frieza's family ran controlled roughly 1/4th of the Northern Galaxy, or, 1/16th of the Dragon Ball Universe.

Platy

fixed with a working link ... and if dies again, it it can be found as "Dragon Ball Z - Battle of Gods" and has 1:15 lenght

Malajax

The movie isn't a continuation of the series, it's a non-canon creation, just like all of the other movies.

This movie does actually have a place in the timeline and has deep involvement with Toriyama himself, so it's possible that its canon.

Besides, as alluded to above, Toriyama has been known to be quite forgetful. Though as far as we know, why couldn't there be some reason that his planet is revived somehow? I can think of far worse leaps of anime logic.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
The movie isn't a continuation of the series, it's a non-canon creation, just like all of the other movies.

Isn't there a difference between the old OVA's and the recent movies is that Toriyama is in charge of the latter?

Piers

Animation looks good.

I don't know about that personally.
So far everything looked sub-par with awkward zoom outs, stiff movements and a low-budget kamehameha. Naruto, Bleach and One Piece's films came out in frequent bursts and even the initial trailer showcased some good animating.

jaxword

Really hoping there isnt alot of mistakes and plot holes in this movie.

You're going to give yourself an aneurism if you try to avoid the inevitable.

Toriyama stopped caring about Dragonball's story almost 20 years ago. The man's long since forgotten details that the fans still argue about to this day.

You should just turn off your brain and enjoy the ride.

Reiko

Banned
You're going to give yourself an aneurism if you try to avoid the inevitable.

Toriyama stopped caring about Dragonball's story almost 20 years ago. The man's long since forgotten details that the fans still argue about to this day.

You should just turn off your brain and enjoy the ride.

SSJ Gohan...

This takes place after Buu was defeated, but before the ending of DBZ. He's still Mystic at the end of DBZ.

Hiltz

I was watching DBZ again on NickToons and I was wondering why the hell Koron (that white talking cat) was not prepared to give the gang any sensu beans before their fight with Nappa and Vegeta. They had like what, nearly a year to prepare for this ? Piccolo could have sure used one during the fight since he wasn't as easily defeated as Tien and the other Z warriors were. Then when Goku gets wished back, Koron only hands him just 2 sensu beans. What else does the cat do all day in his tower to not have more sensu beans made ? Also, Goku was a fool to split his last sensu bean in half to give to Krillan and Gohan. He knew Kaio-ken would cause harm to his own body and he ended up having to use it a lot, once even on Nappa. If he had kept half a sensu bean for himself, then he could have obviously not burnt out his body as much using that technique. Another thing, Goku could have given himself an advantage by using Solar flare on Vegeta before going into Kaio-Ken. I mean, part of the problem with that technique is you need to use it quickly, so why give Vegeta the chance to dodge his attacks ? Goku could have landed 2-3 hits on him while Vegeta was briefly blinded. Alternatively, he could have also used it before creating the spirit bomb.

One more thing. During the Frieza saga, when Vegeta and the others were fighting Freeza, it never occurred to Krillin or Gohan to get Dende to Frieza's spaceship in order to take out Goku from the healing chamber and use Dende's powers to heal him faster.

FreeMufasa

I was watching DBZ again on NickToons and I was wondering why the hell Koron (that white talking cat) was not prepared to give the gang any sensu beans before their fight with Nappa and Vegeta. They had like what, nearly a year to prepare for this ? Piccolo could have sure used one during the fight since he wasn't as easily defeated as Tien and the other Z warriors were. Then when Goku gets wished back, Koron only hands him just 2 sensu beans. What else does the cat do all day in his tower to not have more sensu beans made ? Also, Goku was a fool to split his last sensu bean in half to give to Krillan and Gohan. He knew Kaio-ken would cause harm to his own body and he ended up having to use it a lot, once even on Nappa. If he had kept half a sensu bean for himself, then he could have obviously not burnt out his body as much using that technique. Another thing, Goku could have given himself an advantage by using Solar flare on Vegeta before going into Kaio-Ken. I mean, part of the problem with that technique is you need to use it quickly, so why give Vegeta the chance to dodge his attacks ? Goku could have landed 2-3 hits on him while Vegeta was briefly blinded. Alternatively, he could have also used it before creating the spirit bomb.

One more thing. During the Frieza saga, when Vegeta and the others were fighting Freeza, it never occurred to Krillin or Gohan to get Dende to Frieza's spaceship in order to take out Goku from the healing chamber and use Dende's powers to heal him faster.

From wot I remember, it either takes a long ass time to make the beans or its hard. 1 year he might make 3 and another 300. Den agen, I remember him givin goku like 50 stacks wen he went to Namek.

I think dats just Goku. Even tho the earth is at stake, he don't wanna be a pussy and get a free recharge to fuck vegeta up. He could have done it against cell to and won but wot he do? Give a bean to cell.

When dende came they cudnt get in the ship cos Vegeta was there. After that freeze arrived so I guess they were pussy shook to do anything. But I do remember dem telling to heal vegeta at one point and dende flew off. Cuda done it them for goku and maybe vegeta wouldn't have died.

jaxword

I was watching DBZ again on NickToons and I was wondering why the hell Koron (that white talking cat) was not prepared to give the gang any sensu beans before their fight with Nappa and Vegeta. They had like what, nearly a year to prepare for this ?

Also, Goku was a fool to split his last sensu bean in half to give to Krillan and Gohan. He knew Kaio-ken would cause harm to his own body and he ended up having to use it a lot, once even on Nappa.

If he had kept half a sensu bean for himself, then he could have obviously not burnt out his body as much using that technique. Another thing, Goku could have given himself an advantage by using Solar flare on Vegeta before going into Kaio-Ken.

You have to remember that Toriyama was writing on the fly, he is self-admittedly not a good pacer. So there's always going to be little plotholes about the characters' actions.

That said, a lot of the plotholes you describe are just the characters making mistakes or being themselves, i.e. Goku constantly sees every fight as a chance for a challenge, even when the Earth's at stake.

So that being said...

1. Korin the cat can only grow so many Senzus; they take time like any plant. So presumably they hadn't grown enough by then.

2. Goku will ALWAYS think about his friends first, even when it's dangerous for himself.

3. Almost every character in EVERY battle forgets about the usefulness of abilities like the Solar Flare or Kienzan (DESTRUCTO DIIIISC). All the main villains, including their underlings, can have the same question about why the heroes didn't blind them and cut them in two in that brief moment. It's just Toriyama writing to ensure drama instead of clever battles that end fast.

4. Again, Toriyama just forgot, but there could be numerous explanations: The characters forgot about Goku at that moment, or maybe the ship was just too far away, or maybe they just didn't have time to sit down and work out a plan while panicking and running so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom