• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Dragon Ball movie announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
It looks like at the very least he recognizes Frieza was the pinnacle of his villains, in terms of buildup, characterization, and definable threat. Everybody else just felt like an asspull.

I thought Cell was pretty good, especially when they reveal he went back into larvae form and came from another timeline that wasn't the same as Future Trunks'. You don't see two time travellers end up in the same time period all that often in fiction. Closest thing is the Terminator movies, and the characters in that are from the same timeline.

I think it's more like he forgot about Cell entirely. Post-SSJ2 treatment of Gohan's character shows as much.

Takao

Banned
Some people found this in the website:

qwkbO.jpg

Animation looks like something TAP would do. Everything looks janky.

Since the premise of this and the 2008 thing have to do with Freeza it's completely 100% clear that Toriyamasama wanted to end the series after Freeza.

lol

more so that the Freeza storyline was the most popular point of Dragon Ball's serialization.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Dragon Ball up to the Freezer fight felt like a thinking mans anime. Fights were about the right training, the right techniques, strategy, etc.

After that it was like yeah, my aura is bigger so you are fucked. Lame.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Dragon Ball up to the Freezer fight felt like a thinking mans anime. Fights were about the right training, the right techniques, strategy, etc.

Pretending to destroy the Earth as a last ditch effort and then Instant Transmission kamehameha to the face is probably the best thing in the series imo.

Dragon Ball up to the Freezer fight felt like a thinking mans anime.

Dragon Ball ... thinking mans anime.

Dragon Ball Z was all about bigger power levels and stupid deux ex machina training. It was fun, but let's not get crazy.

LogicStep

It's kind of jarring how a Super Saiyan was a thing of legend and then in the span of a few years there was what, 5 Super Saiyans? And enemies that could match them lol. I love Dragon Ball though so whatever. I still haven't watched the original DB, I only ever watched DBZ.

Takao

Banned
Calling it, Gogeta goes ssj3.

Gogeta has never appeared in a Toriyama created story, so I doubt it.

It's kind of jarring how a Super Saiyan was a thing of legend and then in the span of a few years there was what, 5 Super Saiyans? And enemies that could match them lol. I love Dragon Ball though so whatever. I still haven't watched the original DB, I only ever watched DBZ.

Eh?

Galang

Banned
The aspect of the balance between good and evil is fairly interesting actually. Would have liked to seen an entire arc on this, might as well have gone all out. Buu arc ruined the story anyway, they couldn't have made it worse... not counting GT.

Davey Cakes

The story isn't really that great anyway up through the Cell Games, but it's serviceable and there are many aspects I do enjoy. I don't know what happened with the Buu Saga though; the whole thing just felt wrong in some way.

As much as I like DBZ, I will never understand the logic behind having more enemies to fight after Cell, who was described as "nearly indestructible." How much more do the characters need to continue "unlocking their power" until nothing can surpass them?

What little I've seen of GT, they make the old villains come off as jokes. Then again, DBZ did the same thing in the OtherWorld Saga. The idea that kid Goku plays around with Cell and Frieza like they're no threat at all, when at one point both were described as the strongest beings in the universe, is crazy. Remember everything that Goku and friends had to go through to get strong enough to even compete? Yeah, let's just throw that under the rug.

Then again, I guess that's basically what DB/DBZ/DBGT series are all about. Constant one-upping even when it reaches nonsensical levels.

This is why I don't particularly find myself enjoying the movies either, though I am intrigued by the developments concerning this new one. Who can be stronger than Cell? Buu. Who can be stronger than Buu? Gods. But weren't the previous two villains basically indestructible gods anyway? Ugh. But we'll see. Pure entertainment isn't always a bad thing.

Dali

qwkbO.jpg

lol

more so that the Freeza storyline was the most popular point of Dragon Ball's serialization.

Digital coloring is the like the worst thing to happen to anime. Umremastered DBZ episodes are like night and day better looking than what they did to the remastered stuff. The texture is... existent and the colors just look so much better (albeit not LOOK AT THIS SHIT levels of saturation).

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Dragon Ball Z was all about bigger power levels and stupid deux ex machina training. It was fun, but let's not get crazy.

I guess living up to your tag is more important than paying attention because where did I mention Dragon Ball Z? I meant the series as a whole.

From kid Goku to Freezer theres a good progression that refers to the themes I mentioned, after that theres a tonal shift for the worse.

Thats not crazy, quoting me 3 times in bolded letters to try to make me look like an idiot, however, is.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I wonder if this "balance of the universe" god in a slumber thing is some way to explain why for thousands of years, there were only just a couple really really really strong dudes in the universe, and then all of a sudden crazy ass powerful villains popped out of the woodwork with an abundance of heroes to match them in a span of a decade.

Takao

Banned
Digital coloring is the like the worst thing to happen to anime. Umremastered DBZ episodes are like night and day better looking than what they did to the remastered stuff. The texture is... existent and the colors just look so much better (albeit not LOOK AT THIS SHIT levels of saturation).

Nah

I guess living up to your tag is more important than paying attention because where did I mention Dragon Ball Z? I meant the series as a whole.

From kid Goku to Freezer theres a good progression that refers to the themes I mentioned, after that theres a tonal shift for the worse.

Thats not crazy, quoting me 3 times in bolded letters to try to make me look like an idiot, however, is.

T'was a joke, but up to Frieza is DRAGON BALL Z. If you don't want to include it, say up to Piccolo.

But sure, Kaoken, "we get stronger when we almost die", Namekian fusion, and super saiyan are all about technique...

I still haven't watched the original DB, I only ever watched DBZ.

if you love DBZ then do yourself a favor and see how the team all met

Reading the manga may be easier so if you don't have access to the anime the manga is better(imo)

The first arc is so-so although young naive Goku is hilarious.

Goku said:
Where's her...?
225164-gokuandbulmapanties.png

Things really pic up when Krillin is introduced.

But yeah the original Dragonball provides the adventures while slowly introducing the battles that become standard in DBZ

Great stuff

Raging Spaniard

Cry more. Up to freeza is DRAGON BALL Z. If you don't want to include it, say up to King Piccolo or something.

But sure, Kaoken, "we get stronger when we almost die", Namekian fusion, and super saiyan are all about technique...

Except the manga never made the distinction between Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z. That was made in the anime and later added to the title as it was sold internationally.

Toriyama always kept working on the manga under the Dragon Ball name. And even with your examples my whole point stands, those plot points made sense and people were still powerful due to specific reasons. When the Cell saga started, enemies were powerful mostly due to "just because they are" not because of training or anything in particular.

Cwarrior

the shape of her eyes give it away and vidal always doing that cross eye'd vision thing, she does look a little bit younger though.

BadTaste

qwkbO.jpg

lol

Not gonna lie, that looks artistically awful.

Einhander

The other character in the back should be the god of destruction, not that horrid purple rabbit. ( ._.)

I'm ecstatic for a new, canon Dragon Ball Z movie.

Except the manga never made the distinction between Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z. That was made in the anime and later added to the title as it was sold internationally.

Toriyama always kept working on the manga under the Dragon Ball name. And even with your examples my whole point stands, those plot points made sense and people were still powerful due to specific reasons. When the Cell saga started, enemies were powerful mostly due to "just because they are" not because of training or anything in particular.

Well I disagree. in order to defeat Cell Goku had to figure out a way to gain more power and speed while being a super-saiyan because he saw that just pumping more power would leave them quite vulnerable. his ace in the hole was Gohan whom he knew that when angered can unleash power beyond any saiyan and once he could harness it in Super saiyan form he would be unstoppable. that sounds like technique and training to me.

I like Gogeta more than Vegito or "Vegerot".

idgaf if he's "weaker", he looks a million times cooler.
Funny, I think Vegito looks nicer.

But I also like the fact that he doesn't even need to go SSJ to kick ass.

Anyways... I like the sound of this. And the rabbit-guy might actually be my favorite-looking DB villain yet, but that's just me.

Well I disagree. in order to defeat Cell Goku had to figure out a way to gain more power and speed while being a super-saiyan because he saw that just pumping more power would leave them quite vulnerable. his ace in the hole was Gohan whom he knew that when angered can unleash power beyond any saiyan and once he could harness it in Super saiyan form he would be unstoppable. that sounds like technique and training to me.
And then it turns out that he had fatally miscalculated as Gohan didn't merely transform into another level of super saiyan - his personality changed too, as he became sadistic and vengeful, resulting in Goku's death and nearly resulting in the destruction of planet Earth.

Yeah, I liked the Cell saga.

FreeMufasa

This is understandable to me. Ssj has a baby and it can turn Ssj. That's why. Goten did with ease and gohan struggled.

Fuck you guys. Buu saga had a lot of dope shit going on. They def needed to cut the number of buus though and gotenks. Everything else was boss in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom