• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Dragon Quest XI screenshots + battle system info

Vena

7SsEY63.jpg

I can't put my finger on it, but something about this image just doesn't sit right with me. Like I look at it and I can't help but think it looks bad but I can't exactly say what is causing that reaction.

I think its some combination of the water/sand/background seemingly existing a completely different plane from the characters. Or its just the contrasts of the models/art style against the world textures.

Curious t hear more about the battle system, but at the very least the PS4 version is looking gorgeous. Love the DQ designs alongside the more realistic looking landscapes.

Gator86

This has me more interested. I enjoyed 8, the last one I played, but the presentation of these games has always felt impossibly archaic.

jett

D-Member
*DS games. PS1 games were missing idle animations. But yeah I agree, the static battles are a little too old school for me. Though I didn't mind it much in the mobile version of DQII so probably won't here.

That's neat, I didn't know they made animations in the DS games. DS got DQ4 and DQ5 right (in the DQ7 style)?

LordKano

That's neat, I didn't know they made animations in the DS games. DS got DQ4 and DQ5 right (in the DQ7 style)?

They're not in the DQ7 style tho, they look like this :
dragon-quest-v-hand-of-the-heavenly-bride-20090123115558273-2723895_320w.jpg

And you can rotate the camera freely. DQV and DQVI are both great remakes on DS. DQIV not so much, it miss the party chat, you'd be better with the mobile port for this one.

Graciaus

After reading that I still don't really know how the PS4 system works. They are going to have to show some video comparisons.

Oxn

This has me more interested. I enjoyed 8, the last one I played, but the presentation of these games has always felt impossibly archaic.

I think thats why many of us love it. It brings it back to our roots. I mean if modern jrpgs are like ff15, then i wouldnt be interested.

Although FF12 is one of my favorite FFs.

MoonFrog

I just hope for quick localization (lol)...the quicker it is the more likely we are to get the 3DS version, I'd guess.

I really want Switch version to be a good port of PS4 version and 3DS version to come west, so I can get both versions portable and both on a Nintendo (I want to support DQ on that platform/JRPG on that platform). If Switch port is god awful PS4 version port, I'd just go PS4/3DS. If Switch is 3DS version...PS4/Switch.

Only case where I'd just want one copy is if Switch magically did 2D and UE4, which isn't going to happen as a) I doubt the maps are 1-to-1 and b) it'd be happening on PS4 too if such were happening, no?

_Ryo_

Is auto camera battle traditional turned based? Or is it more like wait mode in Final Fantasy XII?0

And free movement like real time command based?

I don't think pictures can accurately depict the difference between the two modes.

MoonFrog

Is auto camera battle traditional turned based? Or is it more like wait mode in Final Fantasy XII?0

I don't think pictures can accurately depict the difference between the two modes.

We need a demonstration tbh. I hope we get one soon.

Arkeband

Banned

That's what the first two pages of discussion were about, nobody really knows yet. The wording makes it sound like free movement is for goofs (or picture mode), but that seems like kind of a waste, even to someone like me who would prefer just standard turn-based combat.

Strings

Wait.... am I reading this right? PS4 mode has classic turn-based and live battle? I love Enix and Dragon Quest mjcry.gif
'Live battle' is still turn-based; you can just seemingly move around and it doesn't change anything, at least from what I've seen so far.

Game looks gorgeous, but the auto camera mode is kind of a mess in terms of the framing it prefers imo. Cuts way too close and in a weird, random rhythm.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I'm there day one... but I really, aggressively dislike the look of the MC.

I'll try to look past it.

I want to preorder this from the japanese PS Store

Does anyone know a good website to buy digital psn cards?

You can use these to preorder games right?

Top Bottom