• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Dragon Quest XI screenshots + battle system info

Ray Down

Banned
3DS version looking nice. It's cool that you can switch between 2D and 3D models for battle. Will pick this up.

Nice! Was thinking a Switch version of the PS4 game would be great.

To be fair nothing confirmed and its more of an assumption.

MoonFrog

Okay...so PS4 version still confuses me. Does seem fixed camera is classic though. But really, what is going on in free move?

This reminded me that I still haven't even opened my copy of Dragon Quest 7 I got for Christmas, and I've only played Pokemon Moon for a few hours...

Oh, and I'm close to the end if Xenoblade Chronicles.

Goddamn, why am I drowning in so many RPGs?! Stupid Zelda and Mass Effect sacking up all my gaming time. D:

LordKano

S80runJ.jpg

This screenshot is very pretty.

i-Jest

I will buy this for both PS4 and 3DS. Gotta support Dragon Quest now that Square and Nintendo are giving it a fighting chance in the West with Builders, 7 and 8.

Love that the party run along the fields and towns in the 3DS version. And the battle set up for the 3DS version is just perfect. It looks like it'll be just as fast as DQVIIr.

PS4 version details are a bit sketchy but I assume that free movement will work like it does in DQX? Otherwise what's the point? I remember in DQIX the characters would randomly move around the field in battles but it didn't mean anything mechanically. Auto sounds like DQVIII style battles which pleases me as long as it's fast like 3DS version and not slow like PS2.

This looks amazing. It looks like they are literally trying to appease everyone and they may actually be able to pull it off.

Yep. Do you want modern DQ? PS4. Do you want something that's in between modern and classic? 3DS 3D mode. Want pure classic? 3DS 2D mode.

jett

D-Member
The 2D mode on the 3DS neat would be neat if the monsters had the gorgeous animations of the PS1 games. Too bad they don't.

Dark_castle

I hope they release gameplay video soon. It's hard to tell how the battle system truly works with mere screenshots and descriptions.

BigEmil

The more i see these the more i want the PS4 version instead of the 3DS version which at first i wanted

EDarkness

I just saw some new character art for the game and I think Martina is my new waifu. Total babe.

Game looks great so far.

Prophane33

Definitely grabbing both Japanese versions, will likely get the PS4 one on day one and wait for the price to come down a bit on the 3DS one. I hope the release date is this year, though we likely won't have to wait too much longer to find out.

In for the PS4 version. I'm hoping the battle system feels fully fleshed out and not half baked since they're essentially making two completely different games.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I kinda want the Switch version to be the 3DS version. I like it more :>

Understandable. One would be an upgrade and provide cleaner visuals where as the other would be a downgrade.

Heck, the initial gimmick of the 3DS version is the two art styles, so it would be apt for the Switch version to also have the version where you switch between them.

The 2D mode on the 3DS neat would be neat if the monsters had the gorgeous animations of the PS1 games. Too bad they don't.

*DS games. PS1 games were missing idle animations. But yeah I agree, the static battles are a little too old school for me. Though I didn't mind it much in the mobile version of DQII so probably won't here.

PSFan

I think the Switch version is really a long way off TBH. It's quite telling that they never mention it when showing new screens from the PS4 and 3DS versions. It just seems like they aren't far along at all on the Switch version.

If they were planning to release the Switch version alongside the other two, they would have shown a screen or at least mentioned which it is based off of. And if the Switch version is coming later than PS4/3DS versions, a localization of it, if it comes, will be even farther off.

Both games look excellent. I prefer having the 2D option for the 3DS version so that is what I would like to buy. I'm worried they won't bother bringing a 3DS game over so late in its life though. So I guess I'm hoping the Switch version is based on the 3DS game (and gets a western release).
I will say that if the PS4 game is the only one that gets a western translation and isn't released on PC later, then I will finally have my reason to buy a PS4.

Oregano

Man, the CG makes my problems with the PS4 art style even worse. As cheap as it likely was in comparison, it really does feel like that DBXV2 is going to be the best game in terms of capturing Toriyama's aesthetic.

Until Ganbarion makes a Switch DBZ game.;)

Kyzer

Banned
Wouldnt mind if the switch version was souped up 3ds version...since ill definitely also be playing on ps4

Raw64life

Wouldnt mind if the switch version was souped up 3ds version...since ill definitely also be playing on ps4

Same. Rather get a beefed up 3DS version than a watered down PS4 version. I think S-E will solve that dilemma for western fans by simply not releasing that version here though.

Oxn

Same. Rather get a beefed up 3DS version than a watered down PS4 version. I think S-E will solve that dilemma for western fans by simply not releasing that version here though.

Just a gut feeling that switch will get a dual-pack. So both.

Top Bottom