• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Driveclub gameplay

Krisprolls

Banned
Would you mind throwing up the original version without the contrast/color correction? I'm sort of curious. The difference in reflection quality is pretty blunt. Also, you can see the difference in motion-blur quality from the artifacting in the bushes to the left and right.

That's the same game, just a different scene with different cars, different time of day. You don't think they patched the game AFTER making the supersampled version and before the release, do you ? The reflections would be the same with the same cars and the same scene. There is no difference in reflections, it's just not the same cars / time of day / scenes...

The only difference is a slightly better IQ on the supersampled version but it's really minimal.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
It's a diff car/paint...

image_driveclub-26470-2662_0002.jpg

This one from the same set of screenshots has similar reflections

Yeah, I guess I should have expected many kinds of paint finishes. Fair point.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Oh my lawd..gif god has arrived. Also people still shitting on DC? C'mon the fuck on..i think Kagari was made clear he would not tolerate this anymore.

I doubt very much a NeoGAF mod has ever said criticism will not be tolerated. It's a certain kind of bullshit they are on the lookout for.

Driveclub gameplay from video capture vs super sampled gameplay from video capture. No sharpness or anything added, only contrast and colour adjusted to better match super sampled gameplay.

Time of day is still different, but otherwise you can see how comparable actual gameplay still is.

DriveclubSuperSampledvsGameplay.jpg~original

Not seeing much difference here.

I'm sure if I brought out my professional analysis tools I could see something. But if that is needed, pretty sure the point is made.

The fact that this game has a fast moving day/night cycle also means the time of day is always going to change. The dynamic lighting will also make it where the shadowing of the entire picture is changed based on cloud cover and stuff like that.

So getting 2 identical pictures is going to be difficult.

Gestault

That's the same game, just a different scene with different cars, different time of day. You don't think they patched the game AFTER making the supersampled version and before the release, do you ? The reflections would be the same with the same cars and the same scene. There is no difference in reflections, it's just not the same cars / time of day / scenes...

The only difference is a slightly better IQ on the supersampled version but it's really minimal.

Please look at the motion-blurred bushes to the left and right. You can see, as I noted, the difference in the motion blur quality from the artifacting you see there, which even extends into some background elements. To your specific point, you would need to have the equivalent car/paint to say for certain "they're the same in both pictures." We don't see similar reflections in the two images, and that Ferrari does have glossy paint. The IQ difference is enough to note. That's no tragedy, the game looks great, but please don't get defensive about well-meaning, factual statements.

Please look at the motion-blurred bushes to the left and right. You can see, as I noted, the difference in the motion blur quality from the artifacting you see there, which even extends into some background elements. To your specific point, you would need to have the equivalent car/paint to say for certain "they're the same in both pictures." We don't see similar reflections in the two images, and that Ferrari does have glossy paint. The IQ difference is enough to note. That's no tragedy, the game looks great, but please don't get defensive about well-meaning, factual statements.

Could the change in motion blur be caused by the 2 cars travelling at different speeds?

Dude you are trying REAL hard lol

We have not seen very many racing games ( or any? ) where the entire screen is dynamically lit, and every material used in the scene is casting light and shadows and everything else.

The ... incredibly minor ... differences you are stating could easily be caused by the way the engine works. Everything changing all the time dynamically based on a myriad of different circumstances

Driveclub gameplay from video capture vs super sampled gameplay from video capture. No sharpness or anything added, only contrast and colour adjusted to better match super sampled gameplay.

Time of day is still different, but otherwise you can see how comparable actual gameplay still is.

DriveclubSuperSampledvsGameplay.jpg~original

nice job. now that gentlemen looks fukin awesome

OmegaDL50

Could the change in motion blur be caused by the 2 cars travelling at different speeds?

Also another point to bring up, different time of day would also mean different lighting conditions and whatnot. shadow placement based on the suns position, that sort of thing.

R3TRODYCE

Are the trophies for the retail version different than the PS+ version? I've been searching on ps trophies but I can only find one set.

Gestault

It wouldn't create the artifacts we're seeing, it would just extend the sampling frames further out at higher speeds.

Also another point to bring up, different time of day would also mean different lighting conditions and whatnot. shadow placement based on the suns position, that sort of thing.

That wouldn't have any effect on this element.

Yep, the Gamersyde vids definitely show more jaggies and shimmering but it's still pretty much clean in movement.
Motion blur too. You can see some kind of dithering in the bushes now. It will look practicly clean while playing on normal viewing distance.
Can't wait though. Will watch that preload timer again tonight.. :(.

When was weather supposed to arrive again?

Also note the change of the sky in the top pic compared to the bottom

when you are dealing with dynamic lighting to this magnitude even small things like different cloud cover will cause the screen to look completely different

Also, shit the quality of the capturing could of been different. The quality of the compression and the upload could be different.

The only real truth is, this game is going to look phenomenal on my TV. GOOD LORD CANT WAIT

i-Lo

The IQ looks good and on tele with people sitting a few feet away as opposed to their monitor screens and in motion, it will look fantastic. That said, I am a bit bummed about Rushy's less-than-whole-truth of a statement.

Namikaze

Wow, it looks incredible, better than I could have imagined. These videos are making me want to skip the PS plus version and just buy it outright.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
I keep getting a message scrolling at the bottom of the screen saying "There's been a communication problem with the Driveclub servers. Some data may not be synched."

Are they penalizing early copies?

Thats bold.
Do you think Driveclub can score higher than Horizon2?

I think it might be the better racing game, but I doubt that its meaty enough for such a high score.
Especially since there is no weather at launch.

This is also what I expect. If there ends up being no replays or weather at launch I expect some of that to affect the score. To be honest I'm expecting a lot of 7-7.5s, but really hoping that it manages to climb above 8 on average.

Regardless I have no doubt Evo will deliver with both the free updates and DLC and the game will be even better in a few months. Day 1 for me still.

aro52

Does this not have pre-load?

Being a midnight PACIFIC release, I was hoping to play for a bit right at midnight. But if no pre-load, guess I'll just start it and hit the sack.

Alien Isolation doesn't note pre-loading either, but at least that's midnight EASTERN, so I can start that download at 9pm here and get some playtime in. :)

viveks86

I keep getting a message scrolling at the bottom of the screen saying "There's been a communication problem with the Driveclub servers. Some data may not be synched."

Probably server tweaking to be prepared for launch. That sounds like a message when servers go offline.

Does this not have pre-load?

You should be able to preload on Oct 5th (assuming you preordered).

Thats just telling you that you are not connecting to the Driveclub servers. The data that may not be synched would be things like your best times, points, etc. Can see the same message on the gamersdye uploads sometimes

AndyD

aka andydumi
I think it might be the better racing game, but I doubt that its meaty enough for such a high score.
Especially since there is no weather at launch.

Yep. The raw number of cars and tracks and lack of weather will be an easy knock, regardless of the quality of the existing package.

That said it looks fantastic and should be a blast. I want to know more about the DLC plans, what type of cars will be coming? Could we see some classics?

And anyone know if there is any camera head tracking for looking around?

Yep. The raw number of cars and tracks and lack of weather will be an easy knock, regardless of the quality of the existing package.

That said it looks fantastic and should be a blast. I want to know more about the DLC plans, what type of cars will be coming? Could we see some classics?

Game has plenty of tracks though. It's a shame this game will docked for number of cars as it's more of an arcade racer which typically don't have that many cars.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
I'm fiddling with the livery editor. Seems accessible enough but I'm not feeling inspired enough to create one.

Is anyone in charge of the GAF club?

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital

Perhaps some features for the online community aren't in place until launch?

Top Bottom