• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New FFXV battle system footage and details, playable characters clarified

After watching the video, this looks like the same thing. They've removed the switch mechanic, and added jump. They didn't do a good job of showing off jump though. He jumped and that's it lol. They must still be working on it, but I imagine you'll be able to launch into attacks from jump too. This will make a big difference.

It also seems from the Q and A that it's still a case of being able to both press and hold attack. Press for manual hits, and hold to chain. He doesn't seem to imply that only hold is available for attack.

One question for those who can answer it as he compares the game to Type-0 saying you press a button to invoke a combo; how do you invoke a combo in Type-0 exactly? Do you press it once and this activates a combo, or do you have to keep pressing manually?

If that is indeed the case, and jump is in, this will be a variant of Kingdom Hearts pretty much. The biggest difference really came from that jump and hold to chain as a little extra. As manual presses seem to still be in, and jump is also in, this is going to feel quite similar.

I'm really happy to be honest. It feels like they removed the switch mechanic since they couldn't work around the limitations of it, but ultimately, they've stayed true to what Nomura was originally showing off with the combat. And short warp will do just fine to replace the switch if it works the way I'm imagining. I know they mentioned they're going to reveal the control layout, but I'm hoping they allow us to customise it if possible. I liked those trigger buttons and don't want those changed.

I remember reading in that demo thread that summons were controllable in Type-0, I'm now going to hope that's also the case here. It's been a long time since FFX, I want to control.

Before the E3 2013 re-reveal, you said that XV would be an "exclusive...kind of". Care to clarify?

Verendus

Banned
Before the E3 2013 re-reveal, you said that XV would be an "exclusive...kind of". Care to clarify?
There's nothing to clarify. Nothing is happening. It's not exclusive.

My expectation of summons in FFXV :

Two kinds of summons:
- Small-to-mid sized summons (Shiva, Ifrit, Gilgamesh, Odin, etc)
- Giant sized summons (Leviathan, Alexander... Bahamut?, etc)

Summons like Bahamut/Leviathan/Alexander won't be available in normal combat, and only usable in selected set-pieces, if at all. Maybe you won't even have them as summons, but merely fight them as boss fights.

And small-to-mid sized summons where it'll either work like Type-0 ( you temporarily take control of summons whose purpose is to just spam their special moves until they expire ), or you summon an additional AI character to the field to support your team.
This wouldn't be bad. You have your big special attacks, but can also control some. Although, I'd really want to control Bahamut. I have fond memories of those 50,000+ damage attacks. Plus, he's a dragon.

I hope they don't go with the bold though. That's what was in FFXII, and I didn't like it. Summons have felt useless to me since FFX. I want them to return in a big way.

Basically you are saying that Luminous wasn't even at a "prototype" stage, as that "Ebony" prototype environment was more 'complete' to do that E3 demo? Jesus.

Just hope the game doesn't get "delayed" anymore because of technical issues with Luminous or something like that.

Ebony was a retooled version of an existing engine, and presumably what Versus XIII team worked with.

It was natural that it would be more complete at that point of time, not that it excuses Luminous's state of lol development.

I just thought of that because they mentioned PS4 has plenty of buttons in regard to the jump mechanic, yet didn't say anything about XB1. Guess thats typical fare for Japanese games regardless if multi-platform, though.

QFT.
Exactly what I think, too, as a huge FF, who played every main-line entry and their spin-offs. A deep battle system was NEVER the reason why I played FFs, lol. It's the art, music, production value, etc.

I don't quite agree. They may not have been "deep", but they were all a lot of fun and all unique in their own way (the entries I played at least), even if they were all based on the same fundamental design, so actually combat is an extremely important part in all FFs. And none of the games in the series have messed that part up yet. (The "worst" of all was 9 imo, which was extremely conservative, but even so, the only real problem with it was the slooooow speed and it was a brilliant game otherwise.) The combat absolutely has to feel good in an FF. It must be fun and varied, like in all FFs before. It doesn't have to be super deep, but it must be something that feels fun for hundreds of hours, and several replays. But I'm pretty sure they'll manage.

This wouldn't be bad.

Although, I'd really want to control Bahamut. I have fond memories of those 50,000+ damage attacks. Plus, he's a dragon.

Crisis core battle against bahamut was intense.

Two kinds of summons:

Summons like Bahamut/Leviathan/Alexander won't be available in normal combat, and only usable in selected set-pieces, if at all. Maybe you won't even have them as summons, but merely fight them as boss fights.

And small-to-mid sized summons where it'll either work like Type-0 ( you temporarily take control of summons whose purpose is to just spam their special moves until they expire ), or you summon an additional AI character to the field to support your team.
I agree with the small/mid summons bit. Hopefully they'll be actually playable like Type 0

Big summons could always be a cinematic spell like old summons.

Soma

Feeling a lot better about this game despite having only one playable character.

Really loving how forthcoming they've been about the game recently. Such a strange change of pace compared to the last few years lol.

I can't wait to see some more magic spells being used at some point. Blizzaga is going to look amazing.
S3zw422.png

I just thought of that because they mentioned PS4 has plenty of buttons in regard to the jump mechanic, yet didn't say anything about XB1. Guess thats typical fare for Japanese games regardless if multi-platform, though.

When it comes to japan you could say it's "exclusive" doubt anyone in japan is going to buy it for the xb1 ;P ps4 version is going to be the lead platform seller just like MGSV.

This wouldn't be bad. You have your big special attacks, but can also control some. Although, I'd really want to control Bahamut. I have fond memories of those 50,000+ damage attacks. Plus, he's a dragon.

I hope they don't go with the bold though. That's what was in FFXII, and I didn't like it. Summons have felt useless to me since FFX. I want them to return in a big way.
If summons in FFXII added an additional party member instead of replacing two of them they'd actually be great. Going from three people to four, I mean.

FFX summons are awesome but go from being overpowered early on to underpowered in the late game once your party members' stats catch up. Having the summon appear IN ADDITION TO your party is the perfect way to make sure they're always useful.

I cannot for the life of me remember a summon in FFXII or FXIII. Were they even in XIII?

I kind of remember Ifrit in XII but nothing else rings a bell.

I'd love a return to the time when Summons were this grand spectacle.

Verendus

Banned
I have to say though, SE's swift response makes me feel that overreactions to FFXV should be encouraged. Tabata is obviously very keen to please, and whilst he may not have full control, I'm sure SE management is also quite willing to allay any fears.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Liking all these details, great that we got more information and footage so soon. It looks like they're settling on a pretty interesting system here and even though I love the KH gameplay I'm extremely interested in where they're going with this new version of the game.

Zero problems with only Noctis being playable. Even when this game was supposed to play like KH I didn't entertain the idea of playing as someone who wasn't Noctis since shooting things with Prompto Dirge of Cerberus-style never looked terribly interesting in the previous trailers. It obviously would be better if they worked some amazing multi-character play in, but since they're being honest in that it wasn't working like it should I'm ok with them focusing on developing the main character's gameplay (who always seemed to have the most interesting skills anyway) to the best of their abilities. As long as you can manage the rest of your party to an extent with Gambits, dual techs and whatnot it's fine for me.

Skilletor

I cannot for the life of me remember a summon in FFXII or FXIII. Were they even in XIII?

I kind of remember Ifrit in XII but nothing else rings a bell.

I'd love a return to the time when Summons were this grand spectacle.

Ifrit wasn't in 12, they had the Zodiac summons from the Ivalice universe.

You had to fight every summon for the story in 13. You don't remember Odin? Shiva Bikes? :p

Swarna

You're definitely wrong. Especially on higher difficulties.

Sorry. I'm not seeing where Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2 are particularly mechanically-involved games if that's what you're implying. They are pretty much the definition of stream-lined action gameplay. What else do you have aside from a context-sensitive attack, a dodge, a jump, and a block? Everything else is pressing X from menu commands. Disregarding that I only played these games on the highest difficulties I'm not even talking about the difficulty here, but rather the mechanics of gameplay. I enjoyed it for what it was as a kid, played them to death, and grinded everything you could grind in them. It's not really satisfying for me nowadays, though. Opinions and all that.

Dark_castle

You know, one thing I hope Tabata share with us soon is the updated list of staff members who are now working on the game. I mean obviously Nomura is gone, and one of the main programmer for XV is also gone. Who was him replaced by? What is Yusuke Naora's role in this game? Art director for characters? For environment? Is Takatsugu Nakazawa involved in game design? Is Roberto Ferrari still working as the sub character designer? What happen to Hashimoto?

May seem trivial in the big picture, but I'm curious about the behind-the-scenes stuffs.

Jarmel

Banned

Two kinds of summons:

Sounds about right. I can't imagine how much of a nightmare it would be on a development standpoint to be able to have the player capable of summoning something like Leviathan at all times.

killatopak

wow...

Why is it that everytime they off this game it looks like it has a completely new battle system ?

Today looks much,much bثtter than what they've shown before.It looks closer to E3 2013.

Tabata said that the E3 trailer was using the Ebony engine so most of the stuff shown at the TGS was just some parts of the assets being migrated to the Luminous engine. No wonder it looks worse. But as you can see, as development goes further, it gets closer and closer to the E3 rereveal.
Looks ok I guess...I am not saying I wanted a traditional turn based FF game ,like the PS1 games but this look like DmC in the FF Universe...I hope we get options,you know like Dragon Inquisition where you can go real time or also pause the game and plan stuff,2 choices....
You can.

Newboi

I'm really happy time was taken to clarify the earlier statements and confusion that arose from them.

It also seems we have direct confirmation that FFXV is now completely running on the Luminous Engine, while the 2013 demo was running on the Ebony engine.

It seems that there still needs to be a lot more work done on it though, as it appears to not be completely ready to allow for full development on KH3.

I'm curious to see how much improvement the final game will receive visually. If the final game actually approaches Agni's Philosophy, we will be in for an epic visual treat.

Sorry. I'm not seeing where Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2 are particularly mechanically-involved games if that's what you're implying. They are pretty much the definition of stream-lined action gameplay. What else do you have aside from a context-sensitive attack, a dodge, a jump, and a block? Everything else is pressing X from menu commands. Disregarding that I only played these games on the highest difficulties I'm not even talking about the difficulty here, but rather the mechanics of gameplay. I enjoyed it for what it was as a kid, played them to death, and grinded everything you could grind in them. It's not really satisfying for me nowadays, though. Opinions and all that.
What else do you have in Devil May Cry 1 apart from an attack button, a jump button, and a shoot button?

Not saying that KH1/2 are as deep as that but it's all in the execution. Simply listing inputs is very poor argumentation.

KH2 also has attack, air attack, juggling, air recovery, counterattack, dodge, jump, block, a timed-defense Reflect spell, several offensive magic spells, and numerous ways to get crucial invincibility frames. Play it on Critical and you'll see that all that stuff actually matters a lot.

Kind of looks like a hack and slash. It actually reminded me of an action game, except with less freedom. I hope Noctis stays locked onto a enemy and doesn't keep switching around to different ones. That was a bit disorienting

Feeling a lot better about this game despite having only one playable character.

Really loving how forthcoming they've been about the game recently. Such a strange change of pace compared to the last few years lol.

I can't wait to see some more magic spells being used at some point. Blizzaga is going to look amazing.
S3zw422.png
It worked for XIV:ARR, so maybe they think it'll work for this and will be a strategy they try to incorporate for future game releases.

Edit: Though I'm sure they'll keep silent about the details of giving Nomura the boot.

zeromcd73

You know, one thing I hope Tabata share with us soon is the updated list of staff members who are now working on the game. I mean obviously Nomura is gone, and one of the main programmer for XV is also gone. Who was him replaced by? What is Yusuke Naora's role in this game? Art director for characters? For environment? Is Takatsugu Nakazawa involved in game design? Is Roberto Ferrari still working as the sub character designer? What happen to Hashimoto?

May seem trivial in the big picture, but I'm curious about the behind-the-scenes stuffs.
Tabata said something about doing another live demo like this again next month with different staff members, so get excited :)

To everyone telling me that I was overreacting about no character switching and that it may be in the game:

Told you so.
I think you were overreacting in that the character-switching stuff with each character playing fundamentally differently (especially Prompto) sounded godawful and I'm glad the game will be focused and polished instead of trying to contain a full third-person shooter mode.

Verendus

Banned
I think you were overreacting in that the character-switching stuff with each character playing fundamentally differently (especially Prompto) sounded godawful and I'm glad the game will be focused and polished instead of trying to contain a full third-person shooter mode.
I don't see how character switching is a bad thing. Just because you have four different playstyles, doesn't mean they won't be focused or polished. Having four different playstyles could be amazing, especially with Prompto since he at least has a unique hook to him. Even with the game as it is now, you could enable a playstyle for Prompto from long-range and have it work. They probably cut the idea because they have a deadline, and don't have the time to really implement it.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Ehhh, I'm still pretty skeptical overall. SE has a lot to prove. There will be no hype train for me.

killatopak

I don't see how character switching is a bad thing. Just because you have four different playstyles, doesn't mean they won't be focused or polished. Having four different playstyles could be amazing, especially with Prompto since he at least has a unique hook to him. They probably cut it because they have a deadline, and don't have the time to really implement it.

True. Hoping that this can be patched or can be included in a DLC.

or at least be a true mechanic on XV-2. :)

Yeah that sounded real awful. I hate having different characters that all play different which would have given me a lot of freedom and options playing the game between all characters. The things you read here sometimes....

killatopak

Yeah that sounded real awful. I hate having different characters that all play different which would have given me a lot of freedom and options playing the game between all characters. The things you read here sometimes....

Would you like some FFVII- Dirge of Cerberus gameplay in XV? I imagine that they would have put it in if they had the time or the resources for it not to break the game.

Verendus

Banned
SE should just go ahead with a worldwide release for this game. As much as I think staggering the release about a month or so would be the best idea, this would be a pretty amazing move for their fanbase.

December 2015, worldwide. Just do it.

Sometimes people deserve to have their faith rewarded.

Jigolo

SE should just go ahead with a worldwide release for this game. As much as I think staggering the release about a month or so would be the best idea, this would be a pretty amazing move for their fanbase.

It's happening. I said this

BumRush

Zero problems with only Noctis being playable. Even when this game was supposed to play like KH I didn't entertain the idea of playing as someone who wasn't Noctis since shooting things with Prompto Dirge of Cerberus-style never looked terribly interesting in the previous trailers. It obviously would be better if they worked some amazing multi-character play in, but since they're being honest in that it wasn't working like it should I'm ok with them focusing on developing the main character's gameplay (who always seemed to have the most interesting skills anyway) to the best of their abilities. As long as you can manage the rest of your party to an extent with Gambits, dual techs and whatnot it's fine for me.

I completely agree. If Noctis plays like a dream and all of the mechanics (swordplay, magic and especially teleport) work well, I'm more than pleased to play as only him with support from the other bros.

Ehhh, I'm still pretty skeptical overall. SE has a lot to prove. There will be no hype train for me.

It's a fair position.

But everyone who jumped on the game having no depth/one-button-awesome nonsense out of that single interview was also not being entirely level-headed.

Even the most casual JRPGs don't have a system so streamlined that it's press-to-win. It's best to be rational about these kind of things instead of making up doomsday scenarios in the mind.

killatopak

bu-bu-but 55%.

Honestly, I'm not too optimistic about that date and even the q1 2016. But if they can, I'll be damned if I don't buy an LE just for their effort.

I would go apeshit over a worldwide release.

I would buy the fucking SE with the signature boot that costs like 120 bucks.

DNAbro

Well just because they would like it doesn't mean it's possible. But 2015 release world wide would blow my mind.

Pandacon

I just beat Tales of the Abyss last night.

Now watching the FFXV gameplay footage, it reminds me very much of Tales gameplay.

Damerman

bu-bu-but 55%.

Honestly, I'm not too optimistic about that date and even the q1 2016. But if they can, I'll be damned if I don't buy an LE just for their effort.

what makes me optimistic is that they are just creating massive amounts of content that an open world entails which doesn't seem that demanding as opposed to concept iterations and scenario planning and all that other creative non sense. If i read the transcript correctly anyways.

Development progress is at 55%. Final Fantasy XV has entered the phase where they are mass producing resource material. After that, it’s a fight against the amount of resource material and time.

zashga

I'm not crazy about this, but I appreciate them releasing something that looks like unedited gameplay footage. It looks flashy and insubstantial, but I still want to play it before I get all judgemental. Bring on the demo.

Damn you sounded Alfred at the end of the dark knight, but uncharted4 Verendus and for we all know MGSV is releasing fall 2015 FFXV needs some breathing space.

Top Bottom