• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Gamecube Memory Card Not Compatible With Shitty Games

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
"Because the Memory Card 1019 uses new technology that more than quadruples the previous storage capacity of our other Memory Cards, there may be issues when saving a small number of older games," said NOA. Compatibility regarding SMS is unclear at this time, no one being willing to replay it.

The games affected to date are:
Backyard Football
Sonic Adventure 2
Pro Tennis WTA Tour
NHL Hitz 2003
Darkened Skye
Disney Sports Football
Disney Sports Skateboarding
Mary Kate and Ashley: Sweet 16

BuddyC

further details care of 1up.com

Konami's Disney Sports Soccer, Disney Sports Skateboarding, and WTA Tour Tennis are all incompatible with the card and will not save games to it. Meanwhile, three other games have some more peculiar incompatibilities.

Sega's Sonic Adventure 2 Battle won't display the number of available blocks properly if there are more than 999 available, and is limited to only 99 saved games (although one wonders why anyone would ever want anywhere near that many). Darkened Skye will occasionally refuse to create new save files on the card -- Nintendo suggests removing and reinserting the card to solve this issue. Finally, Backyard Football will lock up if it attempts to format the card, so Nintendo recommends using a different game to format it.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
I think the NOA rep should've just gone ahead and called them "shitty games".

"Look, except for maybe Sonic Adventure 2, you really shouldn't own any of these shitty, stupid games anyway. If you're having trouble saving them with the new memory card, I would suggest breaking them in half and cutting up your arms with shards to remind yourself never to buy such retarded software again."

Slo

human5892 said:

"Look, except for maybe Sonic Adventure 2, you really shouldn't own any of these shitty, stupid games anyway. If you're having trouble saving them with the new memory card, I would suggest breaking them in half and cutting up your arms with shards to remind yourself never to buy such retarded software again."

If the auctions on eBay are any indication, most of those games come free with any Gamecube purchase.

human5892 said:

"Look, except for maybe the new Realistic Zelda, you really shouldn't own a Gamecube anyway. If you're having trouble saving them with the new memory card, I would suggest breaking them in half and cutting up your arms with shards to remind yourself never to buy such a retarded console again."

Fixed.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
DJ Demon J said:

B. Trolling

Trolling is considered to be the act of purposely being disingenuous to an active discussion. Negative commentary on given topics is by no means disallowed; however, such comments should attempt to be substantiated. No matter your supposed intent, if the forum administrators perceive you as a troll making unsubstantiated comments in an attempt to provoke the forum body, actions may be taken by the administrators.

cja

Silly 3rd parties. It only really affects 3 games if you follow the Nintendo advice:

Backyard Football:
When using an unformatted Memory Card 1019, the game will ask if you would like to format the Memory Card. Selecting "Yes" will cause the game to freeze. If you have an unformatted Memory Card 1019, and wish to save Backyard Football game data, you must first save game data from another game not listed as incompatible on this page. Doing so will automatically format the Memory Card.

Sonic Adventure 2 Battle:
If there are more than 999 free blocks on the Memory Card 1019, the game cannot display the amount of free blocks. With less than 999 free blocks, the amount of free blocks will display properly.

While mathematically the Memory Card 1019 should be able to hold hundreds of Sonic Adventure 2 Battle game files, the maximum it can hold is 99.

Darkened Skye:
If multiple save files are created, the game occasionally will not allow any new files to be created, even though there are enough free blocks on the Memory Card 1019. Removing and reinserting the Memory Card 1019 when this happens should solve the problem.

WTA Tour Tennis:
The game does not recognize the Memory Card 1019 properly, and should not be used. We suggest using a Memory Card 59 or 251 with this game.

Disney Sports: Skate Boarding:
The game does not recognize the Memory Card 1019 properly, and should not be used. We suggest using a Memory Card 59 or 251 with this game.

Disney Sports: Soccer:

Games with known issues when used with a Memory Card 1019, 251, or 59:

NHL Hitz 20-03:
When using an unformatted Memory Card, the game will ask if you would like to format the Memory Card. Selecting "Yes" will cause the game to freeze. If you have an unformatted Memory Card, and wish to save NHL Hitz 20-03 game data, you must first save game data from another game not listed as incompatible on this page. Doing so will automatically format the Memory Card.

Mary-Kate and Ashley Sweet 16:
Graphics sometimes will not display properly if a file is loaded and restarted after quitting the game. It is recommended that the system be powered off and powered back on before loading the file to play again.

What is the MSRP for the card? My usual importers are charging $35US (therage.com) or $50can (videogamesplus.ca) yet everywhere else I look have prices of $30US and $40can.

human5892 said:

Your comments about Backyard Baseball and those other "shitty" games can be considered trolling as well to people who enjoyed them and wish to learn more in this thread about how their potential purchase of a new Gamecube memory card will affect them, so what's your point?

WTF??! I HAVE NHL HITZ 2003!! THIS STINKS THIS IS TOTAL B.S.!! I'M GONNA HAVE TO B... Oh! I'll just use my old 59 and 251 memory cards.

Matt

Error Macro said:
WTF??! I HAVE NHL HITZ 2003!! THIS STINKS THIS IS TOTAL B.S.!! I'M GONNA HAVE TO B... Oh! I'll just use my old 59 and 251 memory cards.
Umm, you just have to make sure it’s already formatted, otherwise it will work fine…

human5892

Queen of Denmark
DJ Demon J said:
Your comments about Backyard Baseball and those other "shitty" games can be considered trolling as well to people who enjoyed them and wish to learn more in this thread about how their potential purchase of a new Gamecube memory card will affect them, so what's your point?
No, my comments were relevant, as they directly related to the topic at hand -- the exact title of the thread is "New GC Memory Card Not Compatible With Shitty Games". People knew what they were getting coming in here. Your comment, on the other hand, is just an unfounded attempt to stir up some hate.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Matlock said:
Hey guys, if you don't like what Jason says, hit the ignore button!
I think almost everyone says something worthwhile at least occasionally, DJ Demon included -- his trolling can actually sometimes raise good points that cause me to reconsider my viewpoints. That's why I still have yet to put anyone on my ignore list. I really don't want it to come to that.

Me reminding him about the trolling TOS this time was more of a, "Hey, I think that one went a bit too far," kind of thing.

jarrod

Banned
DJ Demon J said:
I'd say shitty to be a fair analysis of the mentioned software (though I've heard WTA and Hitz are actually pretty decent). Negative commentary being allowed, however I'd also say your incessant Nintendo focused bashing goes to another level. And honestly I'm a little surprised it hasn't gotten you banned more.

Oh and Tekken is about as shitty as they come. :p

I just tried loading my Sonic Adventure 2B save from the new memory card and it loaded just fine, also seems to be saving alrite into it. I haven't tried the chao garden save yet tho.

Top Bottom