• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New God of War III screenshots

thetrin said:
I'm not looking at it and saying "HOLY CRAP THIS LOOKS INCREDIBLE!"

I find myself saying that when I play Bayonetta.

I'm certainly not shitting on the game. I'm pretty excited for it. I just wish it looked a little better.

Did you check out the screenshots on the first page, the shit looks great, what more do you want?

Chromax

thetrin said:

I'm certainly not shitting on the game. I'm pretty excited for it. I just wish it looked a little better.

Uhh...I have the PS3 Bayonetta and I played my friend's 360 import. GoW3 demo shits over both graphic wise.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Pterion said:
:lol Bayonetta looks impressive to some?

Sure does to me! Maybe it's just the art direction, but it really resonates with me.

The GoW3 demo didn't impress me at all (other than the fantastic animation on Helios' head rip), so I'm hoping the game throws things at me I'm not ready for.

dreamer3kx said:
Did you check out the screenshots on the first page, the shit looks great, what more do you want?

I'm in the middle of playing FFXIII, so maybe that's it. The models look kinda janky to me.

*shrug* Graphics aren't everything. Looking forward to the game.

Chromax said:
Uhh...I have the PS3 Bayonetta and I played my friend's 360 import. GoW3 demo shits over both graphic wise.

I don't know what to say. Maybe it's the art direction. Bayonetta looks better to my eyes. It's more aesthetically pleasing. What more CAN I say?

thetrin said:
I'm pretty excited for the game, but considering it's going head to head with Bayonetta, the lack of graphical wow is a little underwhelming.

wat

God of War 3 is like... light years ahead of Bayonetta regarding gfx.

Brofist

thetrin said:

Hmmm maybe I need to play through Bayonetta again, I must have skipped the "HOLY CRAP THIS LOOKS INCREDIBLE!" parts by accident or something.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Lagspike_exe said:
wat

God of War 3 is like... light years ahead of Bayonetta regarding gfx.

Then maybe it's the art direction holding it back. Something about the game doesn't look right to me.

I'm not entirely sure why everyone is jumping on me. I'm very excited for the game. Bayonetta just looks better to me. It could just be the art direction, or it could be the fact that I'm fucking blind and I don't know what I'm talking about.

I'm certainly not trying to say Bayonetta is better by virtue of it's graphics (or that GoW3 will suck). GoW3 just...doesn't look all that great to me graphically. GoW has always had some great (albeit simplified) action gameplay, so I'm looking forward to it.

kpop100 said:
Hmmm maybe I need to play through Bayonetta again, I must have skipped the "HOLY CRAP THIS LOOKS INCREDIBLE!" parts by accident or something.

I thought the clock tower scene at the beginning was pretty mind blowing.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I've only seen a level of GoW3, but I think if I had to nit-pick, it's just that everything looks a little too clean, or that the grimy effects and all that look kind of artificial. A lot of the appeal of Bayonetta is all in the little special effects and flourishes that occur on screen as a result of you kicking ass in a battle, which, as it's coupled with actual player control, is probably what thetrine likes about it, it's designed to make your brain go 'WHOA', whereas the GoW3 'WHOA' moments are often QTEs, thus not stimulating the same response, you know? When I'm fighting the cyclops, centaur or three-stage thing who's name escapes me, there's very little feedback given visually that I'm doing damage until the "O" symbol appears, thus colouring my whole impression on not only the way the game plays, but also how the game looks.

This is based off of a <20 minute, old demo. We'll see how the final game turns out.

thetrin

Rez said:
I've only seen a level of GoW3, but I think if I had to nit-pick, it's just that everything looks a little too clean, or that the grimy effects and all that look kind of artificial. A lot of the appeal of Bayonetta is all in the little special effects and flourishes that occur on screen as a result of you kicking ass in a battle, which, as it's coupled with actual player control, is probably what thetrine likes about it, it's designed to make your brain go 'WHOA', whereas the GoW3 'WHOA' moments are often QTEs, thus not stimulating the same response, you know?

This is based off of a <20 minute, old demo. We'll see how the final game turns out.

I've also always thought God of War has had a really really ugly HUD. A huge garish pixelated blade with tiny thin health bars on them.

It's a little thing.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I've never been a fan of the HUD either, but that's neither here nor there for me, because I become accustomed to it after, like, five minutes. ;)

thetrin

Rez said:
I've never been a fan of the HUD either, but that's neither here nor there for me, because I become accustomed to it after, like, five minutes. ;)

No question. I just always thought it was a weird piece of bad art compared to the rest of the game.

dragonflys545 said:
Isn't there a preview for the latest build coming out this month?

on PSN? I'd love to check it out.

Denzar

I can definitely understand why people prefer Bayonetta's look over GoW III's.

It's a completely different style. Bayonetta has tons of shit going on on the screen at once, lots of flashes, effects, movement, etc... it's very busy.

God Of War is more subtle when it comes to the effects, but is more impressive on a technical level.

Well from what I've seen from both demos at least.

Both games ditch subtelity when it comes down to action though. :lol

At least on ps3...bayonetta looked unimpressive graphically to me...GoW 3 is up there with U2...technically there is no comparison...

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
it seems this whole "debate" about "technical" visuals vs. "artistic" visuals is moot. Which game is more technically proficient isnt really debatable, whereas the artistic side is highly subjective thus not really up for discussion :p

It seems some gaffers arent familliar with the idea that some people will find that B > A even though A might be ; [superlatives]

Elios83

Come on! Where's my new trailer? The latest one was released in December 2008 :lol

And btw people really want to compare GOW3 and Bayonetta technically? O_O
GOW3 has a state of the art engine, Bayonetta.........emmm NO.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Where are you guys seeing footage of GOW3 that looks like Uncharted 2?

Shito

Elios83 said:
GOW3 has a state of the art engine, Bayonetta.........emmm NO.
"State of the art", hrmf, no, not when it means sub-30fps with a lot of tearing/slowdown.
I know, it's not fair to judge a game by its demo, but considering the philosophy they had with GOW2 I'm not holding my breath on them giving priority to a stable framerate with no tearing.

antiloop

Shito said:
"State of the art", hrmf, no, not when it means sub-30fps with a lot of tearing/slowdown.
I know, it's not fair to judge a game by its demo, but considering the philosophy they had with GOW2 I'm not holding my breath on them giving priority to a stable framerate with no tearing.

GOW2 ran fine and looked amazing though..

Shito said:

A couple things here. GoW3 runs above 30fps most of the time, it rarely dips under 30fps. It also has no screen tearing as it's vsynced.

Shito

antiloop said:
GOW2 ran fine and looked amazing though..
... with tearing all over the place.

SolidSnakex said:
A couple things here. GoW3 runs above 30fps most of the time, it rarely dips under 30fps. It also has no screen tearing as it's vsynced.
While playing I had the impression it often dipped under 30fps, but googling a bit it seems you are right, with the game running at 30~45fps most of the time.
The impression I had probably came from the fact they did not lock the framerate, which is a mistake in my opinion: I prefer a stable 30fps game to a 30~45 one.
Let's wait and see what they'll do with the final version...

Lumine

Wait what? Bayonetta has better art direction than GoW3?

That's a first. I'm not commenting on either's gameplay nor am I saying GoW3 has the most amazing art direction out there, but really Bayonetta? That game's art direction is a complete incoherent mess. It reminds of japanese B action games that were released during the early PSX days. Which is a shame because the game does some interesting stuff. Hell I even like the backgrounds and enemy designs. I find everything else to look like a complete mess though. Very uninspired stuff. :(

At least GoW has a solid coherent and polished look to it. To be honest there's very little out there that rivals it graphically, so called it dissapointing seems a little odd to me.

Lumine said:

That's a first. I'm not commenting on either's gameplay nor am I saying GoW3 has the most amazing art direction out there, but really Bayonetta? That game's art direction is a complete incoherent mess. It reminds of japanese B action games that were released during the early PSX days. Which is a shame because the game does some interesting stuff. Hell I even like the backgrounds and enemy designs. I find everything else to look like a complete mess though. Very uninspired stuff. :(

At least GoW has a solid coherent and polished look to it. To be honest there's very little out there that rivals it graphically, so called it dissapointing seems a little odd to me.

If you are into latex chicks... yes.

If you are into sweaty men... then GoW3 is the superior art direction.

Lumine said:

Taste in Art really can not be discussed, it blows my mind really why one would prefer Bayonetta's art over GoW3.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Omotesando said:
Taste in Art really can not be discussed, it blows my mind really why one would prefer Bayonetta's art over GoW3.

The joy of subjectivity. It blows my mind people can even compare the visuals of GoW3 to Uncharted 2. Haven't played the demo though. Maybe it has some crazy overhaul and advancement that's not present in released footage.

Denzar

EatChildren said:
The joy of subjectivity. It blows my mind people can even compare the visuals of GoW3 to Uncharted 2. Haven't played the demo though. Maybe it has some crazy overhaul and advancement that's not present in released footage.
Not saying the demo is of the same visual level as Uncharted 2 but seeing footage on a computer screen and playing it on my own HD Tv is a world of difference to me.

thetrin said:
I'm pretty excited for the game, but considering it's going head to head with Bayonetta, the lack of graphical wow is a little underwhelming.

never change gaf... my first massive LOL of the year.

klier

NinjaFusion said:
never change gaf... my first massive LOL of the year.

Well so far GOW isn't maxing out the PS3 like the other games did on PS2, but seriously, the GOW III demo is visuallly superior to Bayonetta no doubt.

klier said:
Well so far GOW isn't maxing out the PS3 like the other games did on PS2, but seriously, the GOW III demo is visuallly superior to Bayonetta no doubt.

And that's a very old demo, that got heavily updated. Not to mention that God of War always pushed the sense of scale, and we're yet to get a taste of that.

klier said:

Never change gaf... my first massive LOL of the year.

;)

Oh wait.. maybe not.. I think I had one yesterday.

-viper-

Banned
GOW3 is one of the best looking games out based on the demo and it looks better than every other action game out there. I don't know how you can be disappointed by the graphics. I've played the GOW3 demo 10 times already and it still looks amazing to me. Bayonetta looks no where near as good. I think DMC4 looks way better than Bayonetta.

EatChildren said:

Having played the demo and uncharted 2, I think it is visually in the same ballpark...obviously I have played all of U2, and there are levels in that which are quite a lot more impressive...but the tech seems around the same level to me. There are even some aspects of GoW3 which impress me more than in equivalent in U2

SmokyDave

Doesn't nit-picking over fucking graphics ever get boring?

Bayonetta, Uncharted 2 and GoW3 are all leagues ahead of anything that was available just a few years ago and yet there is so much bitching and moaning you'd think this gen regressed to flat untextured polygons.

Darkman M

SmokyDave said:

Bayonetta, Uncharted 2 and GoW3 are all leagues ahead of anything that was available just a few years ago and yet there is so much bitching and moaning you'd think this gen regressed to flat untextured polygons.

Pretty much, i don't think these people know just how god damn stupid they sound, but what else can you expect from gaming side. People can't enjoy both game for what they are worth i guess....

Playing Bayonetta reminded me of watching the Star Wars Prequels. They are just trying to cram too much shit on the screen at once.

nib95

Banned
SmokyDave said:

Do you really think Bayonetta looks leagues ahead of DMC4? If anything, I'd say DMC4 looked better based off of what I have played from both. That said, Bayonetta is probably doing more. But who knows.

We'll find out how well GoW3 holds up to U2 soon enough. The build that we've been looking at now is 7 months old. So it really isn't realistic to expect that to look better than U2.

Darkman M

Im sure some people will think Gow III will look better then UC2 on Art direction alone, im not sure why it matters though both games are visually pleasing in they're on right.

Top Bottom