• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New God of War III screenshots

jett

D-Member
-viper- said:
The funny thing is that GOW3 looks "meh", but he thinks MW2 looks very good.

It's also funny seeing people post GeoW2 pictures in this bitch, with its flat, bland lighting system. On the other hand we have GOW3 here pushing self-shadowing on every character.

skulpt

People were really riding on Killzone 2 visuals for the longest time. Then they saw them in motion and they shut up pretty quickly.

If you want great screenshots, UE3/3.5 is the way to go. If you like more than screenshots and actually play a game and see it in motion, this game will IMO impress anyone. Anyone notice the attention PS3 devs are putting towards really fluid and varied animations? Heavy Rain, Killzone 2, God of War 3, Uncharted 2. I'm really glad they're focusing on this aspect of presentation. Uncharted 2 for example would not look nearly as good in motion if they had generic scripted animations like in a load of other games out there that just decided to focus on textures and shaders.

Honolulu

Neo Member
How about discussing some game mechanics for a change... since it's a game and all and not a shiny ultra-smoothed static apple on a pedestal.

I'm really interested in some of the new moves like the one that seems to be similar to the lunge attack in Xmen origins: wolverine, and how it'll work together with the platforming elements of the game.

sentry65

scoobs said:
142bpm1.jpg

Self shadowing is SICK! I can't believe people aren't impressed with this. And to the guy that said GoW2 was all puzzles and QTE's... that is such an exaggeration, theres a metric ton of action

I don't think I'm seeing self shadowing. I think it looks like an ambient occlusion map though

2 Minutes Turkish said:
In your opinion maybe.

But I enjoyed 1 more because it focused less on puzzels and QTEs than 2 did.

It still HAD them of course, but with nowhere NEAR the same frequency.
I enjoyed the first one couldn't last more then 2 hours in GeoW2. The pacing was horribly boring.

Cirekiller said:
I enjoyed the first one couldn't last more then 2 hours in GeoW2. The pacing was horribly boring.

I personally wouldn't go that far. I still loved 2, but I can see where you're coming from.

Be careful though, honest discussion is generally not allowed in these parts.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
2 Minutes Turkish said:
I personally wouldn't go that far. I still loved 2, but I can see where you're coming from.

Be careful though, honest discussion is generally not allowed in these parts.

I was actually the opposite. I could never finish the first GoW, but I love 2.

I liked the extra bosses and puzzles the most, GoW is the one action game that actually does do puzzles well, while I vastly prefer the other action games for the combat(I hate QTE).

I wonder if the "levels" will shift and shit during realtime gameplay. I mean, not a cutscene but while you are fighting, uninterruptedly the levels will turn on their side and you have to find shit to hold on to.

Dante said:
About as disappointing as God of war 3's....Meaning...Not at all.

Unfortunately I think the PS3 will always be held to a "higher standard" when it comes to graphics due to so much pre-launch Sony over hype and releasing a year after the 360. Most people won't admit it but I think this still affect reviewers today. If a PS3 game doesn't blow everything away (KZ2, Uncharted) it will be seen as a failure. I think God of War III looks fantastic and I look forward to playing it.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Lion Heart said:
I wonder if the "levels" will shift and shit during realtime gameplay. I mean, not a cutscene but while you are fighting, uninterruptedly the levels will turn on their side and you have to find shit to hold on to.

Yep. That's exactly what happens.

Ploid 3.0

I can't wait until more epic stuff than what was in the trailer is shown so people can shut up about it looking disappointing. You just know GOW3 is going to rip out our tongues, and make us say our ABCs anyway.

JoJo13

Banned
scoobs said:
142bpm1.jpg

Self shadowing is SICK! I can't believe people aren't impressed with this. And to the guy that said GoW2 was all puzzles and QTE's... that is such an exaggeration, theres a metric ton of action

holy fucking crap

the lighting/shadowing is spectacular.

that character model looks incredible....probably the best in-game model i've seen this gen. sick.

Lion Heart said:
If the Titans take a shit during the middle of the battle that'd be pretty cool.

zoukka

The "shininess" fits this franchise. GoW isn't about realistic visuals at any means. Everything is exaggerated and the colours and effects serve the gameplay. Everything must be clear and easily separateable from the backgrounds... well at least all enemies that pose a threat to Kratos :)

Kittonwy

Banned
It looks alright, not exactly the best-looking PS3 title even after all this development time, granted Santa Monica is so late in the game though, nice Kratos character model.

Kittonwy said:
It looks alright, not exactly the best-looking PS3 title even after all this development time, granted Santa Monica is so late in the game though, nice Kratos character model.
Uncharted 2 will be taking that title back this fall.

zoukka

Kittonwy said:

Get the fuck out of here you xbot!

JoJo13

Banned
iamcool388 said:
Seriously Kitton? Its like people have forgotten the Epic Trailer.

Fixed for great justice.

To be fair to the kitton, God of War 3 has a lot of graphical competition with the likes of KILLZONE 2, Gran Turismo 5, and Uncharted 2.

I'd say that God of War 3 doesn't quite have the visual density of a game like Uncharted 2, or the CG post processing look of Killzone 2, or the damn near photorealistic look of Gran Turismo 5; however, what it does have is a an absolutely epic scale combined with incredible animation that aids in the brutality that they want to convey. If it's not quite at the top tier in terms of graphics, it's damn near close, and we likely haven't seen any of the truly spectacular set pieces yet, which are hallmarks of the series.

zoukka

And then there's the little thing called level design. Which in this case laughs at KILLZONE2 and UNCHARTED2 and pretty much all action game out there.

It's the thing that truly makes GoW so "godly" when compared to DMC, NG and the likes of 'em.

Dizzan

MINI Member
Can someone please ban Click for being a whiny bitch?

The screens look good, just not spectacular. I don't think much more will blow us away this gen. Some stuff will look great but no more huge leaps.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
jump_button said:
:lol oh GAF when will you work out its the gameplay that makes the game
I don't think anyone is saying the game is going to suck based off of screenshots. They're just saying the visuals aren't "OMG BEST EVER".

And more to the point, what do you expect us to discuss other than the visuals when a batch of screenshots are released!?

zoukka said:
And then there's the little thing called level design. Which in this case laughs at KILLZONE2 and UNCHARTED2 and pretty much all action game out there.

It's the thing that truly makes GoW so "godly" when compared to DMC, NG and the likes of 'em.

And enemies. Don't forget enemies. Satyrs, minotaurs and rampaging cyclopes, oh my.

mr_nothin said:
Just cause the scale is great...doesnt mean that the graphics are.
Technical achievements dont always translate well to the eyes.

Perhaps. To me insane gameplay will always trump technical achievements, but those have their place for some gamers I guess. But I hope that people would understand... GoW series has always looked better in motion, the gameplay has always come first (even though they have all been graphically impressive, even if not the absolute top-most game), and that their level design, story telling, sense of adventure, ridiculous set-pieces, incredible boss fights and fun puzzles all combine to make it an absolute gem of a gaming experience one can have. When people put it down solely because it might not be running shaders or AA or Voxels or whatever the latest buzzword in graphics is, they are looking at a book's cover without thinking of the quality of experience contained inside it.

A lot of it comes down to faith in the developers as well. Santa Monica hasnt shown any of the vistas, open spaces, boss fights etc, so i'm going based on their track record here... but I have faith that GoW3 will be an experience I will not easily forget.
Hope this doesnt come back to bit me in the ass :lol

But yeah, apologies to Kitton. I over-reacted.

Rez said:
I don't think anyone is saying the game is going to suck based off of screenshots. They're just saying the visuals aren't "OMG BEST EVER".

And more to the point, what do you expect us to discuss other than the visuals when a batch of screenshots are released!?

Good point. I over-reacted. I award you... 22 points!! :lol

pswii60

Rez said:

Sensible post alert!

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Looks better than It did a while back. Cant wait to get high quality footage and info. I just wish I was a huge fan of the series. I'll play it but I'm not exactly creaming my pants in anticipation.

zoukka

The thing is... people nowadays have no common sense it seems. I mean you get media from any game and the usual crowd is there bitching how the textures aren't UNCHARTED!!1 quality, how the animations aren't up to par with THRILLZONE2 and how the character models pale in comparison with Marines of Gray. The graphics-whoring has just gone batshit in last few years I think.

Like what the hell do GoW and Uncharted have in common? That's right. Compare this to the likes of DMC and NG. Or shut your whine hole (tm)

I have no interest in this game simply due to all the fuckin bitching in this thread. Holy shit. We actually have Gears of War screenshots in here ?!?! :lol

What's next, Killzone 2 shots?

JoJo13

Banned
Opus Angelorum said:
Looks good, far from amazing. Like others have stated, it will look much more impressive in motion (like most games).

Actually, I'd say most games don't really look much better in motion.

But GoW is definitely one that does.

JoJo13 said:
Actually, I'd say most games don't really look much better in motion.

That is unfortunately due to the images being super-sampled and retouched beyond recognition. In cases were we see actual frame buffer grabs (which I believe these are) they tend to look better in motion.

Top Bottom