• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New God of War III screenshots

Looks good to me...better graphically than the opposition at least

Hopefully it looks impressive in motion...HS impressed me somewhat, but neither DMC4 or Bayonetta have impressed me with their visuals

thaOwner

Wax Free Vanilla said:
weak visuals compared to sony's other games.

why have santa monica gone from top dog on ps2 to the bottom on ps3?
Stupid question considering this is their first PS3 game and a release date has yet to be set for this title which leaves
room for polish and improvements.

jmd494

Wax Free Vanilla said:
weak visuals compared to sony's other games.

why have santa monica gone from top dog on ps2 to the bottom on ps3?
Looking at these visuals, I wouldn't be surprised if it was because they cheated and used some hybrid PS2/PS3 engine.

Being the best looking game on PS2 might have made them think they could get away with that.

Because honestly, there is a lot to these visuals that reminds me of an amped up PS2 games.

witness

Rapping Granny said:
So if it doesn't look better than KZ2 or Uncharted2 then it's somehow a half sequel, you somehow came to the conclusion that the game is a half sequel without actually playing the damn thing or knowing much about it. way to go sir, you win the internet.

:lol :lol

Holy shite I wasn't serious. My complaint graphically is that it does look too clean, kinda 'plasticy' in a way.

Aske

Yoboman said:
Am I missing something?

You people must have some insane expectations

It might be as simple as art direction. I'm just not seeing anything that really blows me away at this stage. I expect Sony to come through, but it just looks very been-there-done-that.

Ploid 3.0

Yoboman said:
Am I missing something?

Gaf has been going crazy with graphics lately. Last week it was Heavy Rain looks horrible, now GoW3 is the flavor of the week.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
bdouble said:
I do not follow. Why is this one bad. Looks fine to me. If anything its far from "awful"

What did you expect from Greek architecture?
it's no big deal, I'm just calling it how I see it. Everything looks flat, it would be nice to see a bit of contour. The city is almost in ruins, after all.

jmd494

Slurmer said:
If you were to show me pictures of God of War III and tell me it was a PS2 game, I'd almost believe you.

img005-121109.jpg

Truth...this is how I remember PS2 graphics looking...until I turn on my PS2 and realize that I'm remembering with rose-tinted glasses. But still, it's probably not a good thing to be perceived as having PS2ish graphics. I won't say this game looks anything other than fine when compared to Sony's other first party efforts.

But it's somewhat irrelevant because I will buy and probably play through this 3 - 4 times!

thaOwner said:
Stupid question considering this is their first PS3 game and a release date has yet to be set for this title which leave
room for polish and improvements.

Hopefully they get some big improvements in there, but I find it unlikely that it will ever be on par with Sony's other releases this generation. Some things (like the lighting engine and the way that skin diffuses light (which creates the plastic look)) are likely to be tweaked, but the systems, which look outdated, are unlikely to be replaced by their current gen counterparts (I don't know much about tech, I'm just going on what it looks like to me).

Yoboman said:
Am I missing something?

Nah, the game is blowing me away graphically (well, first four shots). Look carefully, its not like other games where the harder you look the shittier it is, look at the ground and the big enemies closer, its got lots of detail. Fuck this looks amazing.

I hope the puzzles are great though, I was indifferent on them in the first 2 but I like the combat. Day 1 without hesitation. This destroys the competition on every level except depth of combat which is fine for me.

It doesn't move me that much. It has the expected graphical improvements but nothing more. The concept is also tried and proved after 3 games so consider me marginally interested.

thaOwner

Pistolero said:
Fu** it ! I know that in motion, people are gonna eat some frozen crows...
Thats exactly what happened with the last thread. The pictures did look bland and too clean but when the shit was
shown running in realtime, yup that is where it was at. Most of the pictures with the exception of the artwork are old
anyway. I can't wait to see what an updated build looks like right now.

Ploid 3.0 said:
Gaf has been going crazy with graphics lately. Last week it was Heavy Rain looks horrible, now GoW3 is the flavor of the week.
Have you seen the jaggies in inFAMOUS?! They should have just called it Sarah Jessica Parker.

Pistolero

Moreover, people are too much into textures and shaders as sole technical criteria anyway: Scope, animation, lighting, AI, graphical effects (DOF, motion blur, sparks -doombringer, hello !- particles...)...all these go down the toilets, unnoticed by the majority, while shiny/colourful and dead environments get unlimited "WOAH !"...It's abit depressing IMO...

If I were to bet my money on a single title to steal the show this coming E3 regarding visuals and animation, I would certainly go with GOWIII...

bdouble

Justin Dailey said:
Because honestly, there is a lot to these visuals that reminds me of an amped up PS2 games.
Add in Xbox and you just described every single Xbox 360 and PS3 game I have seen this generation.
Pistolero said:
Moreover, people are too much into textures and shaders as sole technical criteria anyway: Scope, animation, lighting, AI, graphical effects (DOF, motion blur, sparks -doombringer, hello !- particles...)...all these go down the toilets, unnoticed by the majority, while shiny/colourful and dead environments get unlimited "WOAH !"...It's abit depressing IMO...
Industry ran by screen shots. When we have an interactive medium and judge it by a still there is something wrong. Partly due to the fact that developers are relying more on post processing and those things look much better when they are moving. Things like motion blur, grain filters, and what not have no beneficial effect in screen shots.
Justin Dailey said:
Some things (like the lighting engine and the way that skin diffuses light (which creates the plastic look)) are likely to be tweaked, but the systems, which look outdated, are unlikely to be replaced by their current gen counterparts (I don't know much about tech, I'm just going on what it looks like to me).
Isn't this due to the deferred shading? Heard it can't do skin very well. Hell it is the same exact method KZ2 uses. Not to mention I don't see where this skin is looking worse than any other game out now.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Spiegel said:
28atjk8.jpg

Yeah, GoW3 looks like PS2 GoW in HD :rollseyes:
totally random thought, but this shot reminds me of an old-school WRPG.

jmd494

Rez said:
totally random thought, but this shot reminds me of an old-school WRPG.
I just noticed that it actually reminds me a lot of Ratchet Future (the lighting and overall look of the environments).

jmd494

bdouble said:
Add in Xbox and you just described every single Xbox 360 and PS3 game I have seen this generation.

Well I guess you could say that about any game and I guess I'm not wording this very well (because I lack the technical vocabulary).

But when I turn on Uncharted, it looks in no way like anything looked on PS2. It looks like they started over from scratch with the concept of how a video game should look (probably mostly related to lighting a motion blur).

But when I look at God of War III, it looks like God of War II * x. It looks like they improved the PS2 game's systems, but didn't totally overhaul and replace them.

manueldelalas said:
Does this need it's own thread? Can't we have an official GOW3 thread, where all of this is posted?

Great idea, I have an even better one, lets have an "official thread of gaming" and put everything in there.

On topic, game will be a stunner no doubt.

bdouble

Justin Dailey said:
Well I guess you could say that about any game and I guess I'm not wording this very well (because I lack the technical vocabulary).

But when I turn on Uncharted, it looks in no way like anything looked on PS2. It looks like they started over from scratch with the concept of how a video game should look (probably mostly related to lighting a motion blur).

But when I look at God of War III, it looks like God of War II * x. It looks like they improved the PS2 game's systems, but didn't totally overhaul and replace them.

Sounds to me like its more to do with the familiarity of the assets in the game. Yeah they look similar to their PS2 counter parts but in no way does this look like a PS2 quality game. Clearly from the screen shots in this very thread there are many huge improvements. Also as I mentioned earlier all the post processing and effects you can't really see in stills.

Ledsen

Looks ok, especially since if it's 60 fps. The gameplay however got stale long ago, even in it GoW2 felt boring doing the exact same shit I was doing in the first one. I hope they add some new stuff.

What I see is something that looks consistent with the orginals but has been updated and refined in every way for PS3. It looks great and is 60fps right?

thaOwner

JB1981 said:
Gotta love Tom. After asking for comparison shots because they game looked like God of War HD and failing misserably he is going
for the next thing. At first I thought he had posted Ninja Gaiden 2 (Image wasn't loading for me) but when I saw what he had posted
I just had to lol so hard. Am excited for Bayonetta after the last trailer but dude.....just stop it.

TheListener said:
What I see is something that looks consistent with the orginals but has been updated and refined in every way for PS3. It looks great and is 60fps right?

It's 60fps, but they said that it'll drop during the more demanding scenes.

Tom Penny

thaOwner said:
Gotta love Tom. After asking for comparison shots because they game looked like God of War HD and failing misserably he is going
for the next thing. At first I thought he had posted Ninja Gaiden 2 (Image wasn't loading for me) but when I saw what he had posted
I just had to lol so hard. Am excited for Bayonetta after the last trailer but dude.....just stop it.

Your not too bright apparently....

PnCIa

This will look very good and sometimes totally awesome in motion. I´m not worried at all, and i´m a graphics whore :D

Click

Banned
Why do you guys take Tom Penny seriously?
He's such an obvious troll, always trolling PS3 exclusives, it's become comical at this point.
Just read some of his post history to get a good laugh.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Click said:
Why do you guys take Tom Penny seriously?
He's such an obvious troll, always trolling PS3 exclusives, it's become comical at this point.
Just read some of his post history to get a good laugh.
His post was a joke.

jett

D-Member
In still, it looks pretty great. In motion it's OMGWTFBBQ. We know this already. I bet GOW3's E3 videos will blow people away.

Top Bottom