• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Gunda-- Warhawk debate thread (aka DoomBringer melts)

Zaptruder

Banned
DCharlie said:
no, and neither of you - which is my point.

Ah... but my point is; without even having ascertained what you were looking at (E3 build apparently), and without taking into context the shots (poor quality cam shot off a TV, boring landscape), you and many others in this thread were ready to jump the gun and sing the downgradestation tune...

which is in direct opposition to your advice to me.

But I guess you've learned from experience.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Ah... but my point is; without even having ascertained what you were looking at (E3 build apparently), and without taking into context the shots (poor quality cam shot off a TV, boring landscape), you and many others in this thread were ready to jump the gun and sing the downgradestation tune...

okay... my outstanding bet with Vennt is the game will not match the obvious CG clips that some people thought were real time back in 05.

that included animation , physics, models the whole lot.
The models look damn close and they've done a fantastic job - i look forward to seeing how close they come, but i still maintain they'll never match the CG initially shown (the one where the gundamn pulls the other machine through the fully destructable environment ;) )

lets not forget here, you are taking these direct feed shots and making the excuses the other way, so lets not pretend this is a one way thing :) or is that a tactit admission that if the game does look like these shots in real time then i do, infact, win? ;)

DCharlie

okay... my outstanding bet with Vennt is the game will not match the obvious CG clips that some people thought were real time back in 05.

that included animation , physics, models the whole lot.
The models look damn close and they've done a fantastic job - i look forward to seeing how close they come, but i still maintain they'll never match the CG initially shown (the one where the gundamn pulls the other machine through the fully destructable environment ;) )

lets not forget here, you are taking these direct feed shots and making the excuses the other way, so lets not pretend this is a one way thing :) or is that a tactit admission that if the game does look like these shots in real time then i do, infact, win? ;)

Zaptruder

Banned
In which clip does a gundam pull another machine through a building?

I just rewatched the gundam clip from the 2005 conference, and it does look really impressive; limbs been blown off, volumetric smoke/explosions rising from missed shots, and just overall really good lighting...

but there wasn't any visible building destruction in that clip.

I think I remember a second clip where there is a unit falling through a building...

but the building destruction there looked primitive to be honest; tiled blocks for debris, which erupted from the building, as the gundam fell through it....

I wouldn't doubt something like that can be done in real time.

Anyway, given the quality of the screenshots, the jury is still out on whether the initial 'CG' can be achieved in real time or not.

But, regardless some of the detractors have jumped the gun (not necessarily you; but I'm not willing to dredge through 5 pages of madness to confirm or deny that), with ridiculously hyperbolic statements, based off some poor quality and premature to boot shots.

DCharlie

Anyway, given the quality of the screenshots, the jury is still out on whether the initial 'CG' can be achieved in real time or not.

But, regardless some of the detractors have jumped the gun (not necessarily you; but I'm not willing to dredge through 5 pages of madness to confirm or deny that), with ridiculously hyperbolic statements, based off some poor quality and premature to boot shots.

see - this is what is confusing

you are saying on one hand it's can't be ascertained whether these match the CG or not, yet you are inviting me and Ami to eat crow in the other thread. So i'm assuming these shots are good enough if you want to prove it matches the CG, but don't show anything that would support and detractors goals, and ... are also inconclusive?

that's covering all bases ! :)

Again, i think the shots look good - great infact, but whether the game matches the CG remains to be seen and _again_ i still stand by the belief they won't because of who the developer is and the quality of the initial CG. I don't think that is too crazy - but the shots DO look great so far.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
DCharlie said:
lets just wait till you see it move (as pointed out in the thread originally) before getting so cocksure, sunshine.

Oh so now it's about the animation? :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

You lost. Admit it. You mad?

Zaptruder

Banned
DCharlie said:
see - this is what is confusing

you are saying on one hand it's can't be ascertained whether these match the CG or not, yet you are inviting me and Ami to eat crow in the other thread. So i'm assuming these shots are good enough if you want to prove it matches the CG, but don't show anything that would support and detractors goals, and ... are also inconclusive?

Not so confusing if you stop referring to the animations (which of course can't be ascertained from the stills); the screens aren't totally conclusive, I'll admit that much, but they show the game far far from 'total downgradeton' hyperbole that Ami was spewing on the first page.

My mistake in this case would simply have been lumping you in with Ami, while been too lazy to go back and read what you originally wrote. Although in my defense, your jab provided a convenient segue into calling out the original detractors in this thread before it got massively derailed.

DCharlie

Oh so now it's about the animation?

You lost. Admit it. You mad?

Originally Posted by DCharlie (10-14-2005)
there is no doubt it looked good , but the thing that left me doubting is that it was running at a pretty low frame rate (15fps? that came from my ass) with little going on, the animation was okay on the main Zeon unit, but the physics calcs on the destroyed Gundam looked pretty bad and the backgrounds were not destructable .

So - it's the points to bear in mind :

: early development point
: an early development kit
: addition of some sort of game engine (AI etc)
: developers ability
: projected final quality

(seperate post- same date)
i'll bet my account that the final game doesn't move/animate anywhere near the quality shown in the video posted on Kikizo. Bishop to be final judge.

Everyone up for that?

Mckmass8808 (10-14-2005)
Damn it I'm soooo close to saying yes to your BET, because I'm like 99% that the game will at least look like that if not better. I say this because when I seen the E3 footage I felt that the graphics could look like that. In August Bandai proved me right.

wow - you were convinced nearly a year ago!

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
is anyone seriously arguing that the actual game resembles the early target footage? watch the movies again. if you've seen the movies recently and still think the game is close...i don't even know what to tell you. the modeling of the mechs isn't terribly different, but everything else is.

DCharlie

is anyone seriously arguing that the actual game resembles the early target footage? watch the movies again. if you've seen the movies recently and still think the game is close...i don't even know what to tell you. the models aren't terribly different, but everything else is.

the pictures are too inclusive to prove anything unless you think it matches the CG in which case it totally proves it! ;)

mckmas8808

DCharlie said:
wow - you were convinced nearly a year ago!

Yep sure was. After seeing the game at TGS, I didn't need to see anymore. It only made sense.

But seriously people (you included) need to jump off the "downgraded am total" hype train after seeing blurry photograph pics and bad magazine scans. The samething happened to Lair about 2 weeks ago with the Ami scans.

At least wait until you see direct feed to joke on the game.

DCharlie

But seriously people (you included) need to jump off the "downgraded am total" hype train after seeing blurry photograph pics and bad magazine scans. The samething happened to Lair about 2 weeks ago with the Ami scans.

At least wait until you see direct feed to joke on the game.

*sigh* and what does this have to do with me saying this is "downgraded am total" - i've already said i think this game looks GREAT, just not up to the CG. That's a far cry from DOWNGRADE AM TOTAL.

AND on the other hand we have people in this thread pulling this line about using blurry shots, whilst nodding to the same blurry shots as proof that people who doubted the game could match the MOVING CG should be eating crow...
After seeing the game at TGS, I didn't need to see anymore. It only made sense.

err.... you know you watched the CG reel there right?
i must admit though, if i saw the CG reel and then watched the same CG reel again a bit later, i'd think they'd totally matched it.

and again, see above - it was always about the animation and physics in the original trailer - again, something we haven't seen which is another reason i'm not on the DOWNGRADE AM TOTAL bandwagon - although i am teasingly preping Vennt for the lost of 10 quid.

Zaptruder

Banned
drohne said:
is anyone seriously arguing that the actual game resembles the early target footage? watch the movies again. if you've seen the movies recently and still think the game is close...i don't even know what to tell you. the modeling of the mechs isn't terribly different, but everything else is.

If you've been following... the only things we have to base opinion off are some low quality scans and screencaps.

In among the scans are some small shots of city environments, where things are actually looking pretty good, and more inline with the original trailer then the desert setting.

Otherwise, we don't have any new footage to say anything else.

Besides... my point of reference would be the original TGS behind doors clip, which was allegedly playable; I personally don't think the game would have become worse than that; and at the time, people were using that clip as proof of how it was still as good as the initial E3 trailer showed it would be (although admittedly, that clip was as small and grainy as these new shots).

mckmas8808

drohne said:

The scans don't show anything other than the models. You can see the lighting, physics, or animation. What do you want us to say?

DCharlie

The scans don't show anything other than the models. You can see the lighting, physics, or animation. What do you want us to say?

well, (not that you said it) people saying "you should eat crow for doubting" and then questioning that "oh so it's about the animation! OH YOU LOST" would be a start....

seriously, why do you boys want it both ways?
again, you want these scans to prove that the game matches the CG, but on the other hand you are reasonable in saying it doesn't prove anything.... you don't think that's unreasonable?!

effectively the message is : This proves that the CG is matched, but it doesn't prove that the CG was not matched because we can't see it moving.

... which registers a big fat "HUH?!"

mckmas8808

DCharlie said:
*sigh* and what does this have to do with me saying this is "downgraded am total" - i've already said i think this game looks GREAT, just not up to the CG. That's a far cry from DOWNGRADE AM TOTAL.

AND on the other hand we have people in this thread pulling this line about using blurry shots, whilst nodding to the same blurry shots as proof that people who doubted the game could match the MOVING CG should be eating crow...

err.... you know you watched the CG reel there right?
i must admit though, if i saw the CG reel and then watched the same CG reel again a bit later, i'd think they'd totally matched it.

and again, see above - it was always about the animation and physics in the original trailer - again, something we haven't seen which is another reason i'm not on the DOWNGRADE AM TOTAL bandwagon - although i am teasingly preping Vennt for the lost of 10 quid.

My bad DC I'm getting you and Ami mix up for some reason when I was thinking about the downgrade am total.

BUT the videoclips and pictures that had me conviced were from this.

0654.jpg

psm10.jpg

2521.jpg

have you never seen this video or these pictures before?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Guys, guys, I love you all. And I know the urge to force crow down each others throats is strong (so very strong). But you HAVE TO wait for final shipping product to do this right.

Zaptruder

Banned
DCharlie said:
well, (not that you said it) people saying "you should eat crow for doubting" and then questioning that "oh so it's about the animation! OH YOU LOST" would be a start....

seriously, why do you boys want it both ways?

"just try and pretend it's from the PS3 port, it'll suddenly look magical!"

My mistake in this case would simply have been lumping you in with Ami, while been too lazy to go back and read what you originally wrote. Although in my defense, your jab provided a convenient segue into calling out the original detractors in this thread before it got massively derailed.

Regardless, what we can conclude here is that the screens shown in the past couple days don't show any sort of 'downgradeton'.

To me, they still look inline with that 'playable' clip that was shown a while back.

DCharlie

My bad DC I'm getting you and Ami mix up for some reason when I was thinking about the downgrade am total.

BUT the videoclips and pictures that had me conviced were from this.

no problems Mac, i'm not meaning to vent, i'm just a little frustrated! :)

the models certainly matched in the realtime demo, but the physics, destructable environs/mechs, and (Especially) the frame rate were a long way off.

Back in 2005, my point was that i expected something to not match up because there was so much missing - i guess back then the debate for some (not me!) was (in a round about way) does the PS3 have the extra oomph to complete the game to match the CG. And given the details on the PS3 at the time, perhaps that isn't too crazy.

For me personally, i just thought the animation and physics quality in the CG was too much for a developer of Bandais quality and that i expected something to get cut back along the way - i don't think i ever mentioned that i expected the models to degrade.

Again, i think the new shots look absolute fine, so - it is true - that we need to see it in motion to see how it stands up, but i personally would get a kick out of looking at bashed up Zaku's all day :)

kaching said:
Guys, guys, I love you all. And I know the urge to force crow down each others throats is strong (so very strong). But you HAVE TO wait for final shipping product to do this right.

the irony is RICH.
and you are completely right. lots of gun-jumping

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
this game was playable at e3. we've seen it. it moves like a generic mech game. it's not going to turn into a cg film before launch. not if you were to put kojima's team on it. this "WAIT FOR THE FINISHED PRODUCT" stuff isn't just madness, it's madness masquerading as GOOD COMMON HORSE SENSE

and i don't have any interest in serving crow -- i don't remember if i participated in that whole gundam debacle, but i remember hoping that the game would look that way. i'm not trying to prove a point. i'm just a reasonably exacting graphics whore.

Oda

Isn't it more worthwhile to comment on how the game actually looks now rather than whether or not it looks as good as, better or worse than a 15 month old trailer?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
drohne said:
this "WAIT FOR THE FINISHED PRODUCT" stuff isn't just madness, it's madness masquerading as GOOD COMMON HORSE SENSE
Hey, man, I'm just trying to get people to handle their bets in a nice, orderly fashion. It doesn't matter how badly one fighter has been beating another, money shouldn't change hands until the fight is officially over.

By all accounts, this dev team is still beating any odds that people would have placed on them to even achieve this level of results in the first place.

mckmas8808

Oda said:
Isn't it more worthwhile to comment on how the game actually looks now rather than whether or not it looks as good as, better or worse than a 15 month old trailer?

No because that would mean you would have to give credit to the game. Which a few people don't want to do.

Top Bottom