• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Gunda-- Warhawk debate thread (aka DoomBringer melts)

Amir0x said:
We've seen destructable environments, we've seen screens with over 60 enemies on screen at once, and we got confirmation of the size of the world and its seamlessness from the developers - unless you're suggesting they're lying.

I agree with you that you'll see it once you have your hands on it, but Warhawk was already playable and looked at this level with just less intense battles because you're not at the largest most epic parts of the game in the demo... that would be silly.

There are videos you know!

i think i've seen all the revealed media at this point and i don't recall seeing anything that would justify any Warhawk lower end graphics comments. i thought the destructible was pure shit. i've yet to see destructible environments that really say next-gen to me in any game. i dunno. i'm obviously in the minority so im not going to argue the point. im just saying that we are, unfortunately, at a point where "wait for the final product" is ultimately what we have to do with 90% of games. so, essentially, im not willing to argue Warhawk either way until the final product is produced. far too much of the discussion rests on how the final product actually performs.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
meltpotato said:
after some of the bullshots and ridiculous claims we have gotten in the past few years, i'll believe it once i have it in my hands.
Incognito has never been known for bullshots and ridiculous claims. Making blanket statements about all PS3 projects because a few set the bar higher than they're likely to achieve isn't fair to individual dev studios who clearly have different approaches to their work. Just because Incognito and Guerilla are both Sony 1st party devs, doesn't mean they subscribe to the same approach for publicizing their game projects, nor does it mean that Sony monolithically determines exactly what they present.

kaching said:
Incognito has never been known for bullshots and ridiculous claims. Making blanket statements about all PS3 projects because a few set the bar higher than they're likely to achieve isn't fair to individual dev studios who clearly have different approaches to their work. Just because Incognito and Guerilla are both Sony 1st party devs, doesn't mean they subscribe to the same approach for publicizing their game projects, nor does it mean that Sony monolithically determines exactly what they present.

It's not a blanket PS3 statement. same thing happens with the 360.

I, personally, don't think that Warhawk is at the level of the original video we saw. there are people who disagree with me on that, i know. im not saying that warhawk wont produce what they claim. im saying, since i havent seem wait i expect based on what has been said and i will wait to see in the final product. i'd say that is being pretty reasonable.

Bebpo

Banned
I'm gonna jump in and say blasphemy by stating that from my opinion after seeing the Gundam game running at E3 that the models were on par with that Zaku trio render and while the environment was obviously lacking, you can't really compare an empty desert to a city. So personally I don't think there's any real evidence that the E3 build is a different game/engine/downgrade from that conference video...just a different area in the game. Maybe the city area was running at <1fps? So they chose to show off an empty area that got 15-20fps?

duckroll

kaching said:
Just because Incognito and Guerilla are both Sony 1st party devs, doesn't mean they subscribe to the same approach for publicizing their game projects, nor does it mean that Sony monolithically determines exactly what they present.

Actually it does. That's Harrison's job now. :p

<nu>faust

dammit ! looks like the star of the show has already left the building.... this means my "screenshot provaction to continue the funny" plan has been rendered useless also, faustus am cries : (

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
meltpotato said:
It's not a blanket PS3 statement. same thing happens with the 360.
How does that change anything about what I said? If you're not familiar with the pedigree of the developer in question, you shouldn't be trying to crucify them for the sins you feel that some other developers commit.

I, personally, don't think that Warhawk is at the level of the original video we saw.
Model and terrain geometry and texturing are absolutely no worse than the original video. From there it gets dicey to make any kind of "level" comparison since the original video and recent demos don't depict the exact same areas or scenarios. About the only thing you could hold against the interactive demos as compared to the original videos is that we haven't yet seen that the game itself will truly handle as many onscreen enemies as the original video depicts in one scene. But, at the same time, the original video didn't offer any clues that we should expect areas with volumetric clouds, procedurally generated water, HDR lighting, etc. either. It really doesn't make any sense to call it either way yet, based on what we have so far.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
My god this thread MUST be preserved... D_B's meltdown was simply awesome!

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
duckroll said:
Actually it does. That's Harrison's job now. :p
What? To tell Incognito and Guerrilla to achieve the same level of bullshot in their early game target renders? I don't see it, dude. :p

kaching said:
How does that change anything about what I said? If you're not familiar with the pedigree of the developer in question, you shouldn't be trying to crucify them for the sins you feel that some other developers commit.

uh.. i AM farmilar with the developer and i'm not even close to "crucifying" them. slow down on the religion-insipred hyperbole there. you said i was making blanket statements about PS3 developers and i wasnt. fanboy wars am serious business, huh? mellow out man. wait and see is pretty far from crucifying a developer. i'd be glad to see them succeed on the levels they are supposedly attempting. it would really push more devs to produce a more engaging experience with their gameworld.

jax (old)

Banned
<nu>faust said:
next gen:

warhwak

warhawk-9.jpg

blazing angels

blazing-angels-squadrons-of-wwii-20060323013251911-000.jpg

Round 1 Figgght !!!!!

I've seen blazing angels in motion and you sure picked a good screen for the game. In motion (from videos previously released), WH looks better. Who knows... its only a couple more months til PS3 is out, then you can have a REAL discussion. TGS first, then whatever the hell, then PS3 release.. then we can have fun. :)

and

I'm surprised it too as long for the mods to take down DB, its been pretty rampant his troll threads, but this thread, is HILARIOUS.

Pimpwerx

Ah, this thread was great. DB goes off on these wierd tirades sometimes. I have a feeling he's also MILR at E-mpire, but I could be wrong. Another person that gets stuck on one idea and won't bail out, no matter how fast the ship is sinking. DB's got heart though. You gotta give him that. ;) PEACE.

I've seen some really good quality videos and photos of gundam, and I reckon the character models are just as good as E3 last year, the environment wasn't though :(

And just to add to the conversation Warhawk will be brilliant, definately one of the more "!next gen" games in development.

Nozi

Banned
travisbickle said:
I've seen some really good quality videos and photos of gundam, and I reckon the character models are just as good as E3 last year, the environment wasn't though :(

If you see it in person it looks really bad with a lumbering framerate

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
antiloop said:
IThis game (Warhawk) will rule co-op with friends. Remember that it will have 4 player split screen too and that all 4 can join a 32 player mp game.

WHAT?!?!?! That's nice.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
meltpotato said:
uh.. i AM farmilar with the developer and i'm not even close to "crucifying" them. slow down on the religion-insipred hyperbole there. you said i was making blanket statements about PS3 developers and i wasnt. fanboy wars am serious business, huh? mellow out man. wait and see is pretty far from crucifying a developer. i'd be glad to see them succeed on the levels they are supposedly attempting. it would really push more devs to produce a more engaging experience with their gameworld.
Serious business, indeed. Look, you're not being completely straight by claiming you're simply taking a wait and see approach because you're allowing the practices of other developers to color how you approach Incognito's practices. I'm not saying you're trying to make blanket statements exclusively about PS3 developers but you *are* making blanket statements about them nonetheless by allowing doubt to be cast on one on the basis of something done by another. There's no intent on my part to imply you wouldn't make the same kind of blanket statement of 360 developers or whatver, we just happen to be in a thread solely discussing several PS3 devs.

In the end, if you really want to take a true "wait and see" approach then you don't make declarations like Warhawk is not at the level of the original video because you simply don't have the evidence to support that or even to accurately define what that means. You simply wait and see. Go figure.

mckmas8808

Bebpo said:
I'm gonna jump in and say blasphemy by stating that from my opinion after seeing the Gundam game running at E3 that the models were on par with that Zaku trio render and while the environment was obviously lacking, you can't really compare an empty desert to a city. So personally I don't think there's any real evidence that the E3 build is a different game/engine/downgrade from that conference video...just a different area in the game. Maybe the city area was running at <1fps? So they chose to show off an empty area that got 15-20fps?

Don't you write for the main NeoGaf page? Weren't you the one that said something about Motorstorm at GDC and everybody went crazy?

So we know that you went to E3. And you are well respected here too right? And I see you also say that the Gundam models are the same, so case dismissed.

duckroll

kaching said:
What? To tell Incognito and Guerrilla to achieve the same level of bullshot in their early game target renders? I don't see it, dude. :p

No, I was merely talking about the unified mentality in both publicity and perspective. The developers make whatever they want to make, but what is publically shown and said is largely determined by Sony and with a unified plan in mind.

Bebpo

Banned
mckmas8808 said:
Don't you write for the main NeoGaf page? Weren't you the one that said something about Motorstorm at GDC and everybody went crazy?

So we know that you went to E3. And you are well respected here too right? And I see you also say that the Gundam models are the same, so case dismissed.

No I don't write for GAF and most of the people here write off my opinions as "Bebpo has lost his mind".

But yeah, my first thoughts when I saw the game at E3 was HOLY SHIT THIS IS NEXT-GEN GUNDAM, then it started moving and I was like "oh it's just another crappy Bandai Gundam game...but the models are HOT". I remember telling duckroll when I got back that night that the model for the Gundam in my eyes looked on par with the really nice CG Gundams we'd see in CG intros for Gundam games this gen. To me that's what I want for next-gen mech games; CG-like models for the robots.

Chromehounds being able to handle 12 of those very detailed and intricate mechs at the same time while keeping 60fps tells me it should be possible.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
duckroll said:
but what is publically shown and said is largely determined by Sony and with a unified plan in mind.
Well, sure, but are they going to make shit up in the developer's stead, or is what they decide to show going to be determined by what the developer themselves offer? That's what I'm talking about.

duckroll

kaching said:
Well, sure, but are they going to make shit up in the developer's stead, or is what they decide to show going to be determined by what the developer themselves offer? That's what I'm talking about.

It's very likely a compromise. They tell developers what they need for an event (playable demo, trailer, etc) and obviously what features they would like highlighted if any. I mean let's be honest, do you think Incognito just suddenly came up with the idea to make the ship full-tilt and asked Sony to add the feature to the controller? :)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Chromehounds being able to handle 12 of those very detailed and intricate mechs at the same time while keeping 60fps tells me it should be possible.
That's true...

The situation is similar to CH, actually. The mechs in CH are really quite detailed, but the terrain is horrible looking (worse than what you see in these Gundam shots). Based on the latest Armored Core 4 footage, it will crush both of these games visually.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
duck, we're clearly talking about two different types of things. I'm talking about "bullshot and ridiculous claims" as referenced from one of meltpotato's earlier posts. You're talking about more normal give and take between dev and pub.

Bebpo

Banned
Honestly, I wouldn't get excited about detailed environments in AC4 or any mech game next-gen. Developers of these games have never focused on the environments and over and over again just put 99% of the polygons into the mechs and have them floating around in a big empty environment (see: outer space). At best I think will get stuff around the visual level of current-gen sandbox games with destructable square-box w/windows buildings. AC4's trailer looks a little iffy, so I won't believe the environments will look like that until the game is playable and it's confirmed.

mckmas8808

Bebpo said:
But yeah, my first thoughts when I saw the game at E3 was HOLY SHIT THIS IS NEXT-GEN GUNDAM, then it started moving and I was like "oh it's just another crappy Bandai Gundam game...but the models are HOT". I remember telling duckroll when I got back that night that the model for the Gundam in my eyes looked on par with the really nice CG Gundams we'd see in CG intros for Gundam games this gen. To me that's what I want for next-gen mech games; CG-like models for the robots..

Bolded the important parts from a person that played the game.

Bebpo

Banned
mckmas8808 said:
Bolded the important parts from a person that played the game.

played isn't really the important point here since the game played like crap and is probably just another shitty Gundam game.

Gundam model wise it looks exactly the same, the enviroment is bland but they could easily get the old one up and running.

Warhawk looks great for a game of its scale and it looks just as good, if not better than the old E3 05 video.

HD crystal clear screen

145352416_2b8f2f2f52.jpg

I don't see anything wrong with this game

Bebpo

Banned
Kittonwy said:
It's kind of sad now that Doom is gone, I had hoped that when I come back from work I can turn him around.

Yeah, I don't get why Doom_Bringer was banned. He was just stating his opinions (even if they were very wrong) as he always does. He didn't really troll anybody or any system :\ I don't even think English is his first language, so he should get some slack on coming off as a bit arrogant.

Nozi

Banned
CassidyIzABeast said:
Gundam model wise it looks exactly the same, the enviroment is bland but they could easily get the old one up and running.

Warhawk looks great for a game of its scale and it looks just as good, if not better than the old E3 05 video.

HD crystal clear screen

145352416_2b8f2f2f52.jpg

I don't see anything wrong with this game

You don't need to post photos of tv sets, there's plenty of direct feed screens available

mckmas8808

Nozi said:
You don't need to post photos of tv sets, there's plenty of direct feed screens available

Yeah but most of Sony's direct feed screens suck for various reasons.

Mrbob

Wow, what a thread. Doom isn't a horrible poster, but when he has something in his mind he defends it to a fault. Look what he did at the Heavenly Sword official forum before realizing the game is going to be awesome.

I'm not sure where the direction of this thread is at the moment!

REV 09

Doom_Bringer said:
Screw all of you seriously. I don't see what you guys see in Warhawk. It is not a huge leap over RS, Yager or Crimson Skies. It doesn't have any next gen fx like motion blur, depth of field, or any post processing effects. The physics suck, the geometry is mostly static with the exception of a few buildings and radio towers and even those are accompanied by PS2 like firecracker explosions. The on foot segment is also pathetic.

Incognito sucks at graphics. THE END
that's borderline ban worthy. I know you aren't supposed to call anyone names...maybe this was the reason.

REV 09

duckroll said:

you're kidding right?
actually no, i wasn't...i admit that i haven't been here as long as some of you, but i've recognized that a lot of posters have received bans for calling people idiots/morons/etc. I skimmed through his posts, didn't really see anything but a difference of opinion until the quote that i highlighted. So what am i missing? I'm technically not even sure if we're supposed to discuss bannings...please correct me if so.

DCharlie

Banned
The mechs in CH are really quite detailed, but the terrain is horrible looking (worse than what you see in these Gundam shots).

Not entirely true (IMO) - CH: the cities look great, some of the ruined desert settings look stunning (some of the best graphics on the x360 infact)

although i guess you just mean standard empty backgrounds? in which case, yeah, the CH ones are much of a muchness :

ch5.jpg

anyways, yes - can someone ask Vennt to send me that 10 quid from our bet? ;)

Zaptruder

Banned
DCharlie said:
Not entirely true (IMO) - CH: the cities look great, some of the ruined desert settings look stunning (some of the best graphics on the x360 infact)

although i guess you just mean standard empty backgrounds? in which case, yeah, the CH ones are much of a muchness :

ch5.jpg

Whats with the horrible mecha game screenshots in this thread?

For shame.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
DCharlie said:

ch5.jpg

That's what I'm talking about, the terrain engine. I suppose the cities can be included, but those are models placed upon the base terrain. The terrain in CH is pretty ugly and simplistic. The lighting in that shot is awesome, though. :)

DCharlie

Banned
lets just wait till you see it move (as pointed out in the thread originally) before getting so cocksure, sunshine.

Top Bottom