• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Halo 3 SP Campaign screenshot

bluemax

Banned
persiannight said:
The person who photoshopped that red-ring of death on the AR should be banned. I find that truly offensive.

Please tell me you're kidding, pleeeeease.

You Halo fans are as bad as NTards.

vdo

nelsonroyale said:
not really much interesting, but it seems to look pretty good.

Definitely not as good as the original teaser if you compare models, but definitely better than multi...Amazing how people can infer this looks like the best game even just from a small screenshot. I mean it doesn't, it looks nice, but come on...

peace

I think what got me is that it passed the "I thought it was prerendered CG and found out it was an in-game and not cinematic" test. And the other games I have seen so far have failed to do that.

If I really want to inspect and analyze the pic closely, I can try to prove to myself why it wouldn't have to be prerendered (you mention comparing models, etc.). But the fact that initial impression was that and I normally don't get that impression from other screenshots, says something. And the screenshot is 720p, what the game itself will be, so I don't see why that is considered a small screenshot.

I think the biggest impact, like I posted before, comes from the lighting. I don't think the models matter as much as lighting (I think one of the COD4 guys said it's 90% lighting and I agree with him). As long as you have a decent model and textures, if you have excellent lighting it goes very far towards realism. Whatever combo of model detail, texture detail and lighting that has been put together here is just really well put together. Sure you can always have higher polys and more detailed textures, but if the lighting isn't done right, a lot of that gets wasted IMO.

Mojovonio

Banned
got2bekidding said:
"Originally Posted by megateto:
Specially after the Halo3 screenshot."

Originally Posted by AltogetherAndrews:
"Eh, if they can't match (in a Killzone style equivalent fashion) that, then they should just dissolve the studio altogether. It's nice, but it's hardly something that should be troubling for Guerrilla."

Pick a face...not two, since you seem to differ your opinion of the screen shot between threads.

:lol

NeXuSDK

Frankie, I'm gonna see you next Thursday at 11 am, killing you with questions!

And you better be ready!... to hold me

DD-11

Takuan said:
Any shot that doesn't represent how the game will actually looks 95% of the time is a bullshot in my book. That includes cutscenes, replays, photo modes. If the game doesn't look like that when I'm actually controlling my character/vehicle, the screenshot is of little value.

Well, if it's not a cutscene there's nothing to argue. My stance has not changed; the screen is still rubbish.

Your book is idiotic, but unfortunately, many people read that book in this thread.

traveler

Not Wario
Takuan said:
Any shot that doesn't represent how the game will actually looks 95% of the time is a bullshot in my book. That includes cutscenes, replays, photo modes. If the game doesn't look like that when I'm actually controlling my character/vehicle, the screenshot is of little value.

Bullshot =/= Lack of revelation

Bullshot = Doctored screenshot

Just because there is little to glean from the shot doesn't mean that it is a bullshot. Now, this isn't to say the shot can't be of little value to someone; I'm just saying this is a accurate, non-doctored shot from the campaign. What you "get" out of it is something completely different.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
Shogmaster said:
A. Beta
B. Online PvP gameplay robs resources.
C. Are you sure you are a dev?

The irony...

A) You don't really understand the meaning of the word beta in development.

B) What? No, it doesn't. There are too many factors to get into here but that really isn't true. Unless the Single Player Halo chief have been souped up to the degree that all the other characters/environments/vehicles they are showing on screen are using 1/10th of the complexity.

C) Just stop, you're not going to get anywhere with this.

Zenith

Banned
Prine said:
amazing. Bungie does it again.

Imagine the detail displayed here, with all carnage you expect from Halo games. Good god

that still doesn't even match Gears of War. what's with the orgasms, aside from over-compensating?

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
syllogism said:
If it's not a cutscene shot, it looks pretty good then. Let's see if the environments will likewise look better. That depth of field/blur looks awfully strange.

Why are you still saying if? There is no if, it is what it is - this is stuff that had been stated months ago... it's like you're purposely being dense...

And to tanod, if you were referring to me when you were talking about people getting defensive, you've got me wrong - note that I haven't responded to a single person that said that the screenshot didn't look hot to them graphically - opinions are opinions, although most are probably just trolling anyways - those comments I don't really care about...

It's the ignorant ones that don't get how a 3rd person screenshot of a FPS cannot in any shape or form be in-game... it literally boggles my mind, as if people consider it a totally separate set of code or something... or the ones calling the shot a bullshot or a cutscene when the shot has been perfectly explained in the OP and at Bungie.net...

It's like one paragraph of text for crying out loud... and for people that think Bungie are big bad liars, all they have to do is wait till September 25th - real simple... stop messing up a perfectly good thread...

got2bekidding said:
Pick a face...not two, since you seem to differ your opinion of the screen shot between threads.

Huh? How does one conflict with the other? I think it looks good, but I also don't think it looks so amazing that it should cause Guerrilla to sweat much. I might be thinking too highly of Guerrilla, but we'll see what happens there. Put some effort into it next time, then maybe you'll manage to "burn" me. This just goes to show that the trolling issue that people see here is every bit as much a matter of people painting trolls on the wall as it is a problem with people actually trolling.

Thunderbear said:
The irony...

A) You don't really understand the meaning of the word beta in development.

B) What? No, it doesn't. There are too many factors to get into here but that really isn't true. Unless the Single Player Halo chief have been souped up to the degree that all the other characters/environments/vehicles they are showing on screen are using 1/10th of the complexity.

C) Just stop, you're not going to get anywhere with this.

A) Beta means Beta. Stable enough to be considered beyond Alpha, but things are still temporary.
B) R U Serious? Multi always has limitations compared to single player.
C) Too sensitive. Lighten the hell up!

Tieno

Stinkles said:
Bish! Help!
4q4gshw.gif

NeXuSDK

Stinkles said:
Bish! Help!

There's no escaping... from my arms of ultimate heldness!

BTW Frankie, when are you taking me to that italien place again? I'm finally starting to feel hunger again and it makes my sick

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
Shogmaster said:
A) Beta means Beta. Stable enough to be considered beyond Alpha, but things are still temporary.
B) R U Serious? Multi always has limitations compared to single player.
C) Too sensitive. Lighten the hell up!

Relax, I know you love your MS/Xbox and I think this screenshot looks fantastic. It has me looking forward to this game. But as for your other comments, I won't really bother because it's obvious that you don't know what you're talking about, and that's OK.

AltogetherAndrews said:
I might be thinking too highly of Guerrilla,

... I'm just kind of confused what makes you think so highly of them given their track record? Besides maybe Liberation I don't think they've made a quality game.

tombur

Zenith said:
that still doesn't even match Gears of War. what's with the orgasms, aside from over-compensating?

gearsofwar.jpg

Its suprising how much better gears looks in motion that in screens. Personally, H3 looks better than Gears in those two screenshots. H3 also has that little thing called 'OMFG HOLY SHIT THATS HUGE' epicness.

Mojovonio

Banned
m0dus said:
I'd say you're being too presumptuous--Guerrilla hasn't done anything yet to indicate the extent of their graphical capability, engine capability, or whatnot.

BLASPHEMY!

Its their country's biggest export!

m0dus said:
I'd say you're being too presumptuous--Guerrilla hasn't done anything yet to indicate the extent of their graphical capability, engine capability, or whatnot.

Perhaps, but graphics was the least of the issue with Killzone PS2. And again, this shot isn't so amazing that it should make another developer nervous. Maybe it will be that amazing in motion, but my response (which was for some odd reason dragged into this thread, weird seeing as how I haven't even complained about this particular shot) was to someone who argued that this shot here would cause the guys at Guerrilla to nervously bite their nails. And I think that if that's the case, if they get nervous from something like this, then they should probably reconsider their positions in the industry.

Now if guys are done derailing this one, maybe you'd like to get back to talking about Halo 3.

sableholic said:
... I'm just kind of confused what makes you think so highly of them given their track record? Besides maybe Liberation I don't think they've made a quality game.

Take it into the Killzone thread, and I'll explain.

Thunderbear said:
But as for your other comments, I won't really bother because it's obvious that you don't know what you're talking about, and that's OK.

You do know that you are the one claiming that MP online does not impact resources, right? :p

Dirtbag

AltogetherAndrews said:
...Now if guys are done derailing this one, maybe you'd like to get back to talking about Halo 3.

:lol

Shogmaster said:
You do know that you are the one claiming that MP online does not impact resources, right? :p

No he didn't, your putting words into his mouth to shape your arguement.

Madman

m0dus said:
Well, there is that thing about the deffered rendering and the use of MSAA, whatever the hell that means. :lol

PleoMax

Banned
Looks awesome.

But i think i like the teaser trailer armor design a bit more...just a tiny fraction bit.

But again, the graphics look awesome from this shot, which doesn't show a great deal...

AltogetherAndrews said:
Huh? How does one conflict with the other? I think it looks good, but I also don't think it looks so amazing that it should cause Guerrilla to sweat much. I might be thinking too highly of Guerrilla, but we'll see what happens there. Put some effort into it next time, then maybe you'll manage to "burn" me. This just goes to show that the trolling issue that people see here is every bit as much a matter of people painting trolls on the wall as it is a problem with people actually trolling.

Fine, I'll humor you and argue with your denial between the conflicting responses between your two posts. Saying in one thread that one should dissolve their company if they can't match the screen shot posted in this thread's OP...then coming in this thread and saying it looks "good" is being two-faced. Sorry, your attempt has been listed as failed as I wasn't calling you a troll, but having different opinions in different threads. If I could, and I'm sure Bungie or any company out there would agree also, release a preview in-game shot like that...the last thing I would be doing is dissolving my company. End of story. :p

chase

This looks really good...but it's impossible to tell anything other than it's got a good draw distance with a nice MC model, the last of which is really irrelevant. Who knows how good that background stuff is going to look when it's what you're looking at? Kind of an overreaction on all sides if you ask me. Can't we just say it looks good and wait for some shots where you can make shit out?

f@luS

More than a member.
tombur said:
gearsofwar.jpg

Its suprising how much better gears looks in motion that in screens. Personally, H3 looks better than Gears in those two screenshots. H3 also has that little thing called 'OMFG HOLY SHIT THATS HUGE' epicness.
an official screen vs a cap screen? dude...

Dirtbag 504 said:
No he didn't, your putting words into his mouth to shape your arguement.

What? No, it doesn't. There are too many factors to get into here but that really isn't true. Unless the Single Player Halo chief have been souped up to the degree that all the other characters/environments/vehicles they are showing on screen are using 1/10th of the complexity.

Then you tell me what he's trying to tell us.

traveler

Not Wario
got2bekidding said:
Fine, I'll humor you and argue with your denial between the conflicting responses between your two posts. Saying in one thread that one should dissolve their company if they can't match the screen shot posted in this thread's OP...then coming in this thread and saying it looks "good" is being two-faced. Sorry, your attempt has been listed as failed as I wasn't calling you a troll, but having different opinions in different threads. If I could, and I'm sure Bungie or any company out there would agree also, release a preview in-game shot like that...the last thing I would be doing is dissolving my company. End of story. :p

All he is saying that he thinks the Halo 3 shot is solid (not spectacular) and if Killzone- given its importance as a graphical showcase for the PS3- can't match an OK shot, then Guerrilla had better just pack up and leave. I see no conflict of opinion there at all. It makes perfect sense. (As long as you pretend the shot is merely OK. :D )

got2bekidding said:

So I'm calling the screen "nice" is one thread and "good" in the other... and you view those as conflicting responses? By all means, keep on keeping on.

Dirtbag 504 said:
"There are too many factors to get into here..."

Gee, if all he was trying to say was that, then why did he bothered to type the rest of the stuff to disprove my simple assertion that online PvP MP demands more resources than SP? Hmm....

tegdf

looks good, but how interactive are the environments gonna be? how are the physics? destructible environments?

NeXuSDK

Everybody here raise a hand if you want to see Frankie taking it to the stage Cliffy-style...

I'll be on first row, throwing roses and taking names.

(Yes, I've gotten the E3 fever now... don't listen to me)

Top Bottom