• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Halo 3 SP Campaign screenshot

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Dirtbag 504 said:
Somebody get a mod in here,
Getting 500'd left and right, and its b4 E3 week.... not a good sign.

Too much traffic on the servers.... start banning! Do it!

I know this is off topic, please forgive: where are the GAF servers? Who pays for them? Why haven't they been upgraded?

Stinkles said:
It's not a cutscene, it's a carefuly posed screenshot from Campaign. You can carefully pose and take your own screenshots in Campaign, in the game, in Sept 25th. You can recreate this pose exactly.

I wonder if coming straight from the wizard's mouth will make a difference?

Razoric

Banned
Stinkles said:
It's not a cutscene, it's a carefuly posed screenshot from Campaign. You can carefully pose and take your own screenshots in Campaign, in the game, in Sept 25th. You can recreate this pose exactly.

Uh oh, sorry sfans your fun is over.

raYne

Stinkles said:
It's only been said 87 times in the thread already. Yet people seem to want to skip that info.

Tieno

Stinkles said:
Woo! Screenshot taking in SP confirmed! :D

TheDuce22 said:
I dont think it should be considered "trolling" to state your opinion on a game. The problem with GAF is the double standard. Im pretty sure if I went into the Warhawk thread and gave my opinion on the game I would be banned shortly there after because some mod would perceive it as trolling.
Agent Icebeezy said:
This double standard has been in place for years. Pretty sad, but we all know it is here.
BS. Quit with the conspiracy/tin-hat assertions.

The only double standard apparent on Gaf is that individual posters don't hold themselves to the same "standards" to which they would hold others. Accusations of bias on the part of the mods reveals more about the accuser than it does the moderation on this forum.

More so, man-up and name names if you're going to make the accusation so at least those people may respond in kind. Drive-by accusations are bunk.

tanod said:
Some people get really defensive. If 10 people didn't feel the need to respond to every troll comment, the thread wouldn't be half troll, or about troll posts. It happens to every popular series. It doesn't matter what system it's on. Just ignore it and move on.

Needs to be reiterated as it's stated quite well.

On-topic: Halo looks excellent. At the end of the day, I don't stare at Masterchief so I couldn't care less about his graphical fidelity. The environment and atmosphere of the game are what I care for; and, given Bungie's track-record, I don't have much concern for those elements.

tanod said:
Some people get really defensive. If 10 people didn't feel the need to respond to every troll comment, the thread wouldn't be half troll, or about troll posts. It happens to every popular series. It doesn't matter what system it's on. Just ignore it and move on.
Quoted for emphasis. Agree 100%

Stinkles said:
It's not a cutscene, it's a carefuly posed screenshot from Campaign. You can carefully pose and take your own screenshots in Campaign, in the game, in Sept 25th. You can recreate this pose exactly. I'm a silky voiced tasty sailor
Great news!

vdo

Stinkles said:

WOW.

Then I will have to go with my last comment:

But if this is not a cutscene and is how the game would look when you walk up close to someone else during normal game play, then I would say that this game has the best visuals so far, IMO. I know that is saying a lot, but really this screenshot looks that good to me. Because that would mean a huge environment while still having detailed characters and AA to go along with it. And the lighting is insane - the shinyness of the metal on that gun is perfect - not too shiney, not too dull, just the right amount of depth to the texture. If this is what we can start expecting AAA games to pull off in the next few years, then I think we are finally seeing the improvement these new gen HD consoles can deliver.

I really think you guys have set a new threshold in terms of visuals for other games to aspire to. Congrats.

szaromir

Banned
Stinkles said:
I hope we won't be able to move camera completely freely - it would broke gameplay IMO. The concept that you can't move camera more than 1m (3feet) from Master Chief could work...

Amir0x

Banned
I'm not quite as high on this photo as some of the other posters in this thread, but it certainly looks nice.

tombur

vdo said:
WOW.

Then I will have to go with my last comment:

I really think you guys have set a new threshold in terms of visuals for other games to aspire to. Congrats.

This is only the beginning ;) - 5 days!

ShinAmano

Stinkles said:
In the immortal words of one that is not known: Hut huy o god dagit!

not really much interesting, but it seems to look pretty good.

Definitely not as good as the original teaser if you compare models, but definitely better than multi...Amazing how people can infer this looks like the best game even just from a small screenshot. I mean it doesn't, it looks nice, but come on...

peace

syllogism

If it's not a cutscene shot, it looks pretty good then. Let's see if the environments will likewise look better. That depth of field/blur looks awfully strange.

traveler

Not Wario
szaromir said:
I hope we won't be able to move camera completely freely - it would broke gameplay IMO. The concept that you can't move camera more than 1m (3feet) from Master Chief could work...

How so? (Moving ahead with the camera so you could spot the next batch of enemies? Stuff like that could simply be fixed by allowing you to replay the level in video form, pause it, and move the camera to wherever you like to take a picture. Sorta like Forza)

DD-11

szaromir said:

How would it break anything? If you don't want to stray more than a meter, don't. Let the rest of us take blimp shots if we want.

Takuan

Stinkles said:
Might as well be a cutscene, since it does nothing to give us an idea of how the game will really look during gameplay. The camera is zoomed in so close that it shows nothing other than a close-up of the player model and some mountains in the horizon. Give me HUD, give me enemies, give me muzzle flash, give me action with SWEET FX! Otherwise, it's all bullshots.

szaromir said:

How do you mean? During recorded sequences or paused during a photomode like in racing games?

traveler

Not Wario
Takuan said:
Might as well be a cutscene, since it does nothing to give us an idea of how the game will really look during gameplay. The camera is zoomed in so close that it shows nothing other than a close-up of the player model and some mountains in the horizon. Give me HUD, give me enemies, give me muzzle flash, give me action with SWEET FX! Otherwise, it's all bullshots.

I don't think you understand the definition of bullshot...

DD-11

Takuan said:

:lol :lol

In light of evidence, make a small shift and carry on. Your skills are legendary.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
RSTEIN said:
I know this is off topic, please forgive: where are the GAF servers? Who pays for them? Why haven't they been upgraded?

Did you pay your registration fee for the month?

I still remember crashing onto Halo (Pillar of Autumn) in the first game and just about over the crest on the first hill you could look down and see the Elites and Grunts duking it out.... that was amazing...

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Takuan said:

Sigh.

Read my lips. It is not a cutscene. Just repeating that it may as well be, does not make it so.

Anyway, you're right to a certain extent, most of the shot is Chief and a skybox. You can't tell much from the mountain and treeline.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
23372611.jpg

tombur

Francias Castiglione said:
How do you mean? During recorded sequences or paused during a photomode like in racing games?

Example, you go into level 1, and decide you cant be arsed to travel through miles of tunnels, battling brutes/grunts; you go onto photo mode, detatch camera and fly through to the end, where you can catch a glimpse of whats to come, without playing through it. I think the camera should just have a few fixed poses you can choose from (ontop, behind, side etc), and you can zoom in and out a set amount, but i dunno, we will find out soon enough ;)

Edit: Late much..

Stinkles said:
Sigh.

Read my lips. It is not a cutscene. Just repeating that it may as well be, does not make it so.

Anyway, you're right to a certain extent, most of the shot is Chief and a skybox. You can't tell much from the mountain and treeline.
Stinkles, don't waste your breath man. You were clear enough the first time around.

AltogetherAndrews said:
... you'd figure someone actually playing the game on-stage would count as pretty clear confirmation, but hey.

I still don't see the issue here. Aside from less excessive micro-bumpage, this looks about as good as expected, if not a bit better. Which is a good thing.

"Originally Posted by megateto:
Specially after the Halo3 screenshot."

Originally Posted by AltogetherAndrews:
"Eh, if they can't match (in a Killzone style equivalent fashion) that, then they should just dissolve the studio altogether. It's nice, but it's hardly something that should be troubling for Guerrilla."

Pick a face...not two, since you seem to differ your opinion of the screen shot between threads.

Stinkles said:
Sigh.

You may as well be saying it's a cutscene though.

syllogism

Stinkles said:
Sigh.

Is there some DoF or blur effect going on since the background especially on left looks odd

Well then it makes perfect sense as to why maybe the armor texture is "lesser quality". Why waste the resources on stuff you normally will not see when in 1st person perspective. It looks great Stinkles!!! Can't wait until next week.

DD-11

tombur said:
Example, you go into level 1, and decide you cant be arsed to travel through miles of tunnels, battling brutes/grunts; you go onto photo mode, detatch camera and fly through to the end, where you can catch a glimpse of whats to come, without playing through it. I think the camera should just have a few fixed poses you can choose from (ontop, behind, side etc), and you can zoom in and out a set amount, but i dunno, we will find out soon enough ;)

Again, what's the problem? Don't do that, if you don't want to. Or do you also think there shoudln't be glass because people could eat it and get a belly ache?

szaromir

Banned
traveler said:
Look what I wrote after that. Limit the photo taking mode to replays of finished missions- problem solved.
Replay meaning that someone played through a level and is playing it again or replays in a sense like in racing games? I hope there aren't the latter replays in SP, it would consume too much memory and I'm texture whore. ;)

TheDuce22

Banned
wonderkins said:
BS. Quit with the conspiracy/tin-hat assertions.

The only double standard apparent on Gaf is that individual posters don't hold themselves to the same "standards" to which they would hold others. Accusations of bias on the part of the mods reveals more about the accuser than it does the moderation on this forum.

Uhh, no. Ive been banned for less than whats going on in this thread. For example I was banned for "trolling" the PS3 version of Fight Night because I said the lighting was crap compared to the 360 version.

tombur

got2bekidding said:
"Originally Posted by megateto:
Specially after the Halo3 screenshot."

Originally Posted by AltogetherAndrews:
"Eh, if they can't match (in a Killzone style equivalent fashion) that, then they should just dissolve the studio altogether. It's nice, but it's hardly something that should be troubling for Guerrilla."

Pick a face...not two, since you seem to differ your opinion of the screen shot between threads.

:lol :lol

Stinkles, any hope of seeing a super resolution version of this screen for 7/7/7?

Thunderbear said:
Screenshot looks _awesome_. I wonder why the Multiplayer Chiefs look so much worse?
You mean, Spartans right?

There is no Master Chief in multiplayer. The Spartans in multiplayer do, in fact, look different for a variety of reasons. Graphics are different between multiplayer and campaign - some areas are big differences and others are small. From a gameplay perspective, however, the visuals of the Chief wouldn't translate well in multiplayer, where bright colors and visuals are important because of its competitive nature.

The two game modes have starkly different objectives.

Takuan

traveler said:
I don't think you understand the definition of bullshot...
Any shot that doesn't represent how the game will actually looks 95% of the time is a bullshot in my book. That includes cutscenes, replays, photo modes. If the game doesn't look like that when I'm actually controlling my character/vehicle, the screenshot is of little value.

DD-11 said:
In light of evidence, make a small shift and carry on. Your skills are legendary.
Well, if it's not a cutscene there's nothing to argue. My stance has not changed; the screen is still rubbish.

traveler

Not Wario
szaromir said:
Replay meaning that someone played through a level and is playing it again or replays in a sense like in racing games? I hope there aren't the latter replays in SP, it would consume too much memory and I'm texture whore. ;)

I'm not a techie, so I wouldn't know how difficult it would be to replicate what Bungie is doing in multiplayer (saving the data, not the actual match as a video) in single player. Were that possible in single player, that is what I would sugges. If it is not, the replay feature could simply mandate that one has the corresponding achievement for each mission before one can bring the camera out of the chief's line of sight. In other words, there are plenty of ways they can make this work without compromising the surprise of each encounter. (Which will only really matter for the first few times through anyways.)

Emiru

Banned
TheDuce22 said:
Uhh, no. Ive been banned for less than whats going on in this thread. For example I was banned for "trolling" the PS3 version of Fight Night because I said the lighting was crap compared to the 360 version.
yeah, I was banned for saying gaf had alot of japanophiles.

Top Bottom