• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Halo 3 SP Campaign screenshot

Parl said:
Playing as the Arbiter was absolutely terrible. The level design on the game is mostly terrible to my tastes and there's not enough wide open spaces with stuff diving all over the place, and me in a Warthog.
Was your problem with the Arbiter's level designs? I thought he had some really cool levels toward the end of the game ("Uprising" and "Great Journey"), far more enjoyable than the close-quarters and narrow corridors of High Charity, where the Chief fought. I can't for the life of me understand why people have a problem with the Arbiter as a character. Yeah, the Chief is the consumate bad ass, but the Arbiter has reasons for his rage, there's a method to his madness and it's not just an empty avatar that follows directions. If I have to depart from the Chief to get a little bit of that in Halo, by all means - make it happen!

PnCIa

Looking at this (I guess) finalized MC model, I still prefer the very first model they showed for Halo 2 in the 2002 announcement trailer. It looked kinda "rough", more like a heavy combat suit. And the texture had a better metallic look to it.

GhaleonEB

ant1532 said:
Where did Bungie day 7.07.07 come from?
Bungie loves the number seven. 7/7 has been called Bungie Day for many years now. They always do some crazy stuff at b.net for it; one year it was a series of seven articles in one day.

ant1532 said:
Please explain :D
Seven7th Column
Seven Halo rings
343 Guilty Spark is 7^3
2401 Penitant Tangent is 7^4
There's roughly a zillion references to seven in Halo and Halo 2
It goes on.

GhaleonEB said:
Bungie loves the number seven. 7/7 has been called Bungie Day for many years now. They always do some crazy stuff at b.net for it; one year it was a series of seven articles in one day.
Plus this one only happens once every 100 years. :D

777 is my birthday. I'm hoping I'll get super powers or something tomorrow. Especially considering I'll be 21..... 7+7+7 = 21. OH JEBUS IT'S LIKE I'M A JIM CARREY FILM!

ant1532

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
Ok cool, hope there is a lot of cool stuff then. Oh yeah and does anyone wanna explain the armor in Halo while we're at it? Like is the armor in the MP. Is that Spartan 1 and 3 project armor or what? How many armor types do we know about it fromthe Halo series (including the books)

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
ant1532 said:
Ok cool, hope there is a lot of cool stuff then. Oh yeah and does anyone wanna explain the armor in Halo while we're at it? Like is the armor in the MP. Is that Spartan 1 and 3 project armor or what? How many armor types do we know about it fromthe Halo series (including the books)

You should check out the Halo wiki, the story page at halo.bungie.net, and bop around rampancy.net. Outside of the official site, there is a ton of great info compiled by fans of the series. Once you turn over a leaf, you'll soon learn that there are millions of them. Each one has a little glittering gem hidden there. Good luck with your new obsession.

ant1532 said:
Don't take this as fact, as it's wiki-cited, but the compilers do a good job of explaining the MJOLNIR Spartan armor in the Halo series here.

The version being used in Halo 3 is still Mark VI but it has certain new attributes, namely the gauntlets rivets and some of the armor plating. My guess is that all of the Spartan armor permutations will be Mark VI, simply for the fact that they are variations on the same suit. Just a guess. :D

Edit: Beaten by the URK!

Thermite

urk said:
roflcopterapocolypsenow.gif

best gif ever. :lol :lol

segarr

I felt that the Arbiter was about as good of a character as he could have been....adding another playable character could have completely ruined the game....especially when it's a character that used to be your sworn enemy. But the arbiter had an interesting personality, a cool story, great voice acting (Keith David is the ****), and played close enough to master chief not to change the gameplay much.....I personally want to continue his story in H3.

"If they came to see me beg, they'll be highly disappointed"....****in right!

If only Bungie would release a shot of the elites!

segarr said:
I felt that the Arbiter was about as good of a character as he could have been....adding another playable character could have completely ruined the game....especially when it's a character that used to be your sworn enemy. But the arbiter had an interesting personality, a cool story, great voice acting (Keith David is the ****), and played close enough to master chief not to change the gameplay much.....I personally want to continue his story in H3.

I really don't understand the people that hate on the Arbiter. I thought he added a lot to the story, and I really liked some of the levels. Can't wait to see him now, after seeing how good MC looks.:D

Last night after reading this thread and setting this screenshot as my wallpaper a thought occured to me...As we all sit here and rapidly pick over this screenshot for both things good and bad I thought about screenshots in general. How many of us actually sit close enough to our televisions to pick out some of the things we do in screenshots? I mean seriously. Of any game. We all scan over screens for jaggies, bad textures and whatnot but how many of us actually sit there and scan for them while actually playing games? The though occured to me as I walked past my monitor a few feet away and I noted how amazing Master Chief looks in the screen. Sure when you get close you can pick out a few things but...How many of us do that, or even can while actually playing games? Just a random thought I had...

tombur

segarr said:

I went through every H2 cutscene on youtube yesterday, and I know I will probably be flamed for this, but I personally hope the Arbiter plays a big part in H3.

PS: Arbitors armour in H2 looked brilliant, cant wait to see what bungie have done with it this time!

Mojovonio

Banned
tombur said:
I went through every H2 cutscene on youtube yesterday, and I know I will probably be flamed for this, but I personally hope the Arbiter plays a big part in H3.

PS: Arbitors armour in H2 looked brilliant, cant wait to see what bungie have done with it this time!

But I really hope we play alongside him, not as him.

Halo 2 was so dis-joined in that regard.

The Arbiter had awesome footstep sounds!

He was an excellent addition to the story in my opinion, just having cutscenes showing the Covenant hierarchy making decision and reacting to situations would have been pretty lame.

tombur

ToyMachine228 said:
Last night after reading this thread and setting this screenshot as my wallpaper a thought occured to me...As we all sit here and rapidly pick over this screenshot for both things good and bad I thought about screenshots in general. How many of us actually sit close enough to our televisions to pick out some of the things we do in screenshots? I mean seriously. Of any game. We all scan over screens for jaggies, bad textures and whatnot but how many of us actually sit there and scan for them while actually playing games? The though occured to me as I walked past my monitor a few feet away and I noted how amazing Master Chief looks in the screen. Sure when you get close you can pick out a few things but...How many of us do that, or even can while actually playing games? Just a random thought I had...

Exactly, take a step back from the screen when you look at a screenshot. This screeny in particular looks alot better when you look at the picture as a whole; everything matches up, the lighting is near enough spot on, the picture just works!

MaX_PL

Banned
my only hope for Halo 3 is that the multiplayer look much better than the beta.

i have a feeling bungie did it purposely, and we'll be surprised at the end.

this shot looks good though and single player campaign should be good.

Damn I am late to this party but good lord what a beautiful shot.
I love the mountains in the background and it seems like we are given a good idea at how massive in scale this game will be. Absolutely bad ass.

ralexand

100% logic failure rate
tombur said:
Exactly, take a step back from the screen when you look at a screenshot. This screeny in particular looks alot better when you look at the picture as a whole; everything matches up, the lighting is near enough spot on, the picture just works!
The screen should be judged for what is and not as a comparison piece to the cutscene chief. Alot of things change stylistically as games are developed.

TDG

Banned
urk said:
Probably has to do with the stealth elements, coupled with the weapon set. For me, the sword just isn't fun. But yeah, I agree that the mechanics are the same (aside from the cloaking).
But those were only really apparent in the first two levels as Arby.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I'm hoping that the Gravemind turns into a cyberninja in Halo 3. Hey it worked for Raiden!

Thermite

Karma Kramer said:
Nope... I am guessing todays update will suck ass... and then tomorrow (777) will be ****ing amazing!

I thought people were referring to 7/7/07 as "Bungie Day". my mistake then, I meant I think we'll get something tomorrow.

ant1532

Banned
Mr Vociferous said:
Don't take this as fact, as it's wiki-cited, but the compilers do a good job of explaining the MJOLNIR Spartan armor in the Halo series here.

The version being used in Halo 3 is still Mark VI but it has certain new attributes, namely the gauntlets rivets and some of the armor plating. My guess is that all of the Spartan armor permutations will be Mark VI, simply for the fact that they are variations on the same suit. Just a guess. :D

Edit: Beaten by the URK!
urk said:
You should check out the Halo wiki, the story page at halo.bungie.net, and bop around rampancy.net. Outside of the official site, there is a ton of great info compiled by fans of the series. Once you turn over a leaf, you'll soon learn that there are millions of them. Each one has a little glittering gem hidden there. Good luck with your new obsession.
Hmm read up about it. The only thing I have still have in my mind ponderin is what armo was used i the Spartan 1 and 3 projects? I never read the books keep in mind. And another question, was the Spartan 2 project the one attacked on Reach and only Master Chief survived? And is the Spartan 1 project the ones in Halo wars wearing the Mark V armor?

My friend was reading the new Ghosts of Onyx book and he told me there was some alive from the Spartan 3 project and they are in their early teens. And they are the ones on the cover. But isn't the armor they are wearing just like the ones in the MP beta? So does anyone know if they say what type of armor that is in the book?

Haloonyxcover.jpg

g.jpg

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Mr Vociferous said:
I think Bungie crafted an amazing story in Halo 2 - a story that a lot of people don't care for, probably because of a fixation they have with playing as the Arbiter, maybe the level design, or perhaps the ending just soured the whole batch for them - never-the-less, the story in Halo 2 was masterfully built.

One thing I absolutely love about Halo 2's ending is how they set the Gravemind diametrically against almost all other characters (Chief, Covenant, Elite insurrection) and generalized him as the head of the Flood, giving their existence as the parasite more meaning and a face - this basically makes the Gravemind the primary threat to all players in the story.

and compounding matters further, you (the MC and Arbiter) had to work alongside him to stop the firing of the ring.

"Fate had us meet as foes, but this ring will make us brothers!"

very deep story for those that look below the presented surafce

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
ant1532 said:
My friend was reading the new Ghosts of Onyx book and he told me there was some alive from the Spartan 3 project and they are in their early teens. And they are the ones on the cover. But isn't the armor they are wearing just like the ones in the MP beta? So does anyone know if they say what type of armor that is in the book?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SPARTAN-III_Project

Spoilers, ahoy.

NinSoX

Banned
rakka said:
Actual geometry, but you won't be able to go to them... I think

Knowing crazy Halo fans, they'll find a way :lol I think it mostly has to do with Bungie's coding of their games. Everything you see is there for a reason and there's always a way to get to them.

GhaleonEB

michaeld said:
Are the backgrounds static or will we be able to actually go to those mountains?
They look like geometry. Not sure if we will have anything like that kind of mobility and scale, but this exerpt from the announcement trailer news at bungie.net has been lodged in my brain for a year now:

Q: For the "level" shown in the trailer, is the massive size of the surrounding area something that is tangible? Does it really seem like you are on a huge, wide open plain?

A: The sand, dust, smoke and other effects are all from the game engine. They will be used in the game. The landscape you saw is real geometry - the mountains and city in the distance are not a skybox - they are actual geometry that you can go to.
http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&link=weeklyupdatemay1206

It is unclear if he meant that we could go to it and see the mountain geometry close up if they cut us lose and flew the camera over there, or that we could actually get there in real gameplay. But it does look like they are fullfilling the vision of having a fully realized 3d world as far as the eye can see, at the very least.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
rakka said:
Actual geometry, but you won't be able to go to them... I think

Oh, there are no walls built that can hold the Halo community. Mountain tops will be gotten. One way or another.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
michaeld said:
Is that a waste of time and resources?

Nope. A lot of the really distant stuff isn't terribly complex, and making the draw distance real is much more convincing than just putting horizon objects on a skybox. Our actual skies are a combination of paintings, atmospheric effects (like Mie and Rayliegh scattering) and "real" HDR (which is why the Banshees flew through the atmosphere and into "space" in the Beta hax.) so some smoke, some mirrors, and lots of real geometry.

NinSoX said:
Knowing crazy Halo fans, they'll find a way :lol I think it mostly has to do with Bungie's coding of their games. Everything you see is there for a reason and there's always a way to get to them.
I'm determined to be one of the first to get to the islands on Last Resort.:lol

Stinkles said:
Nope. A lot of the really distant stuff isn't terribly complex, and making the draw distance real is much more convincing than just putting horizon objects on a skybox. Our actual skies are a combination of paintings, atmospheric effects (like Mie and Rayliegh scattering) and "real" HDR (which is why the Banshees flew through the atmosphere and into "space" in the Beta hax.) so some smoke, some mirrors, and lots of real geometry.
Thanks for that. Looks good all round though. :D

GhaleonEB

Buttonbasher said:
I'm determined to be one of the first to get to the islands on Last Resort.:lol
Having just had my first sample (I almost said "taste" but considering what we saw that might not be approrpriate) of out-of-the-map exploration in Halo 2, I have to admit that was the first thing I thought of when I saw them. :lol

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Stinkles said:
Our actual skies are a combination of paintings, atmospheric effects (like Mie and Rayliegh scattering)...

No love for their inelastic brethren? No Compton scattering, no sale.

Top Bottom