• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Halo 3 SP Campaign screenshot

GhaleonEB said:
Having just had my first sample (I almost said "taste" but considering what we saw that might not be approrpriate) of out-of-the-map exploration in Halo 2, I have to admit that was the first thing I thought of when I saw them. :lol
Now you're thinking with Porta...Wait wrong game...

Stinkles said:
Nope. A lot of the really distant stuff isn't terribly complex, and making the draw distance real is much more convincing than just putting horizon objects on a skybox. Our actual skies are a combination of paintings, atmospheric effects (like Mie and Rayliegh scattering) and "real" HDR (which is why the Banshees flew through the atmosphere and into "space" in the Beta hax.) so some smoke, some mirrors, and lots of real geometry.

plastic mountains confirmed

Liquid

Banned
to the guys bickering "downgrade" back on page 17 i think the difference in the shots is that MC is actually properly LIT this time so the light is changing the way the armor looks. in the new shot his right hand side (our left) is lit really close to what some are claiming was cg. you see more detail on that side because light is hitting it. in the old pic he 's being hit by light head on so the armor looks "better" :D

NinSoX

Banned
The 'fish' recently hinted at the other forum that Halo Wars is going to be amazing. How big of a team at Bungie is working on this one in relation to Halo 3?

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
NinSoX said:
The 'fish' recently hinted at the other forum that Halo Wars is going to be amazing. How big of a team at Bungie is working on this one in relation to Halo 3?

Halo Wars is Ensemble Studios.

ant1532

Banned
NinSoX said:
Isn't that being made by Ensemble Studios???

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
NinSoX said:

not bungie at all (aside from overseeing). its ensemble

Karg

Stinkles said:
Our sun is a round poly and each blade of grass is a NURB.

Oh non-unibrow regional b-Spline, yes of course. Epic grass blades! Can't believe I Googled NURB.

Close to finishing Ghosts of Onyx for the second time and something that's been in the novels that I've always wanted to see in the Halo campaigns...The ability to shoot a specific part of a Grunt's methane tank and ignite it. It would be freaking awesome. It happens in the novels all the time. It's on my wish list for Halo 3!

JdFoX187

Banned
ToyMachine228 said:
Close to finishing Ghosts of Onyx for the second time and something that's been in the novels that I've always wanted to see in the Halo campaigns...The ability to shoot a specific part of a Grunt's methane tank and ignite it. It would be freaking awesome. It happens in the novels all the time. It's on my wish list for Halo 3!
Is the book any good? I read the first three but haven't decided whether to pick up this latest one or not. I've heard pros and cons.

JdFoX187 said:
Is the book any good? I read the first three but haven't decided whether to pick up this latest one or not. I've heard pros and cons.
Ghosts was my favorite of the lot. I will say that I have high hopes for Staten's book, First Contact, later this year.

TDG

Banned
armubaba said:
I think I am in the vast minority when I say I really enjoyed the Arbiter's first couple of levels.
I actually sort of liked it except for the Flood parts.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
armubaba said:
I think I am in the vast minority when I say I really enjoyed the Arbiter's first couple of levels.

me too. i loved the heretic level, especially destroying the cables and having the entire structure collapse and fall (and the ensueing mad dash back through it to get out), and the "boss fight" at the end with the heretic himself. i wonder if somehow he'll make a return appearence (not likely)?

Haunted

ant1532 said:
My friend was reading the new Ghosts of Onyx book and he told me there was some alive from the Spartan 3 project and they are in their early teens. And they are the ones on the cover. But isn't the armor they are wearing just like the ones in the MP beta? So does anyone know if they say what type of armor that is in the book?
:eek: There are books about Halo? When did that happen?

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Mr Vociferous said:
Racism! What about Brillouin or Raman?

You urk me!

Brillouin's approach was too belletristic for my taste. Raman's discovery is interesting, and he was rewarded by the Nobel Committee, but what about Krishnan? He gets no love at all and frankly, I have trouble with this particular method of molecular diffraction as a result. No, I'm afraid if one method of inelastic scattering must be chosen, Compton is where it's at. X-ray, gamma ray, hell, radiation therapy. Not to mention, Compton got a shiny Nobel of his own to polish up while looking positively dashing. Guy has a friggin' moon crater named after him. Appointed Oppenheimer to chair the Manhattan Project. You could say he single-handedly defeated the Japanese.

So, get that weaksauce scattering out of my face.

ahc.jpg

Chancellor of Wash U, I might add. I use to park in their lot when I worked in Clayton.

Karg

Falagard said:
You might have a unibrow, but personally I prefer a uniform.

Its also supposed to be rational instead of regional, thought the unibrow worked itself in there quite well though. You sir have caught me. :D

urk said:
Some smart stuff.
Aren't you the clever one? Your off-the-cuff jesting belies your genius.

PS: I agree with your take on Compton.

Looking at this thread, amongst the weekly updates, media coverage, vidocs, the ARG, and other content, it seems like there's always a persistent discussion on Halo in this forum. All of these individual discussions eventually evolve into "what do we expect next from Bungie?" and then they are dropped in favor of a brand new Halo-related topic. It's an interesting cyclical process - almost like we have a self-perpetuating dialog because of the steady stream of content.

Hopefully this continues for some time after the game's release.

Karg said:
Its also supposed to be rational instead of regional, thought the unibrow worked itself in there quite well though. You sir have caught me. :D
NURBS are so last gen anyways. It's all about Super Multi Uniform Rational F-Splines! It's got 100x the surface density of NURBS!!!

GhaleonEB

Mr Vociferous said:

PS: I agree with your take on Compton.

Looking at this thread, amongst the weekly updates, media coverage, vidocs, the ARG, and other content, it seems like there's always a persistent discussion on Halo in this forum. All of these individual discussions eventually evolve into "what do we expect next from Bungie?" and then they are dropped in favor of a brand new Halo-related topic. It's an interesting cyclical process - almost like we have a self-perpetuating dialog because of the steady stream of content.

Hopefully this continues for some time after the game's release.
When the game comes out, they will tease about DLC. When DLC has come out, teasing about the next project(s) will begin, and we'll all be back to square one. It is a neverending dance of tease and payoff.

And oh, the Halo Wars website is supposed to relaunch today with new media, BTW. :D

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Mr Vociferous said:

I'm not all beta brownouts and butthole fishhooks.

edit: Also, genius may be too strong a word. Just now I used a pair of pliers to fashion a paperclip into a hoop of sorts and I'm using it to clean the excess wax from my ear canals.

ToyMachine228 said:

Me too.......just got to the part where
the Nova bomb goes off in the hull of the Covenant super ship, destroys the moon, and wreaks havoc on the planet - beginning the Covenant Schism
. WOW!

Quick question, are any of the Covenant characters in the book supposed to be Half Jaw? (Voro?)

GhaleonEB

Random update on Halo Wars.

We’ve been working towards a mini-milestone of sorts, called the Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3). The good news for Halo Wars fans who have been hanging in there waiting for more information and or images from the game is that we will be showing a small demo of the game for select members of the press at E3. The team here at Ensemble Studios has been at work on preparing the demo for the last couple of weeks and it has come together nicely. It just shows a small slice of our game off to give the press an idea of what we’re all about.

Thanks to E3, we will likely see some first impression articles about the game appearing on the web or in magazines in the days and weeks to follow. This is also about the time that we’ll be going live with a new version of our Halo Wars website, which will largely just be a visual change, but reflect some of the new stuff revealed at E3.

E3 takes place in Los Angeles next week, so the wait is going to be relatively short!
http://forums.halowars.com/thread/72124.aspx

Muppet345

Halo Wars will have to do a lot to impress me. After reading the books and seeing how spartans work together as a team, I'll probably not be satisfied with "press A to attack this general area"

I can't imagine how horrific the hatred for the Halo brand will become from PC gamers if it manages to establish a working RTS formula for consoles as Halo did for first-person shooters, though.

Scarecrow

On the subject of armor... I seem to remember Guilty Spark pointed out that the Cheif would need a higher class of armor to deal with the Flood(something like class 10 or something) during the Library. I'm hoping we see some higher upgrades Spartan armor past VI, or, like someone mentioned earlier, some forerunner suit.

Woot! Theme/Gamerpics confirmed? http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=news&cid=12623

Lukems and the Bungie.net team have some cool things lined up for the site tomorrow but we also managed to pull a few strings to make some extra special content available on Xbox 360 Marketplace. I won't spoil the fun and tell you exactly what it is (don't get too excited, it's not Halo 3 - think something of a more decorative nature) but I did want to give you a heads-up that these commemorative goodies are ONLY available on 7/7/07 and then they are gone forever.

Log on to Marketplace any time starting at 12:01 AM PDT on July 7th and get it while you can. Once the clock strikes midnight on Saturday, this content is gone forever. Don't say we didn't warn you.

Just a heads up: Exclusive Bungie content will go up on XBL Marketplace, tomorrow only. You miss it, It's "gone forever."

Bungie Day Extravaganza

Bungie.net said:
Lukems and the Bungie.net team have some cool things lined up for the site tomorrow but we also managed to pull a few strings to make some extra special content available on Xbox 360 Marketplace. I won't spoil the fun and tell you exactly what it is (don't get too excited, it's not Halo 3 - think something of a more decorative nature) but I did want to give you a heads-up that these commemorative goodies are ONLY available on 7/7/07 and then they are gone forever.

Edit: BAH!!!!

Manp

thanks Bungie, that's great! exactly when my 360 is at the repair center and it's been there for over a month now.
oh yeah, and thanks MS for your shitty hardware.

Log on to Marketplace any time starting at 12:01 AM PDT on July 7th and get it while you can. Once the clock strikes midnight on Saturday, this content is gone forever. Don't say we didn't warn you.
like it matters for all the people in the same situation.

bha... -_-

segarr

Manp said:
thanks Bungie, that's great! exactly when my 360 is at the repair center and it's been there for over a month now.
oh yeah, and thanks MS for your shitty hardware.

bha... -_-
Yeah that is pretty crappy knowing that many 360 owners don't have access to their console at any given time to release content that is only available for one day. All content on XBL should be available for at least 2 months giving everyone time to get their 360's back.

Manp

segarr said:
Yeah that is pretty crappy knowing that many 360 owners don't have access to their console at any given time to release content that is only available for one day. All content on XBL should be available for at least 2 months giving everyone time to get their 360's back.

ask Stinkles

:°°°

traveler

Not Wario
michaeld said:
So when will game sites and mags been getting hand's on previews?

They already have. EGM has the exclusive reveal of that info in their next issue, which should land sometime late July/early August. Others will follow shortly after probably.

Top Bottom