• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Halo 3 SP Campaign screenshot

Agent Icebeezy said:
halo3ad.jpg

H3_WSJ_CHIEF.jpg
yep.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
I must not be seeing the same picture...

It's a model of a guy in a robotic suit. They could add a milliom polygons or take some aways it will always look the same. The design was specifically for lower spec systems. I personally would like it to be shaken up a bit so that we can actually see the amazing beyond what is going to look amazing for what it is no matter how good it really is.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
I guess I must be wrong... I guess the concept of a free-roaming camera really IS too hard to understand... I mean, there's no way that the GAF servers are crashing JUST for this Campaign shot, right?

...right?

Breaking news, Bungie dumbfounds the world by being able to take a screenshot of your playthoughs at any angle! The future is now!

thekad

Banned
Kabuki Waq said:
look at the bottom left of the screen in the first post.....ZELDA TP GRASS!

You cannot possibly tell from that screenshot, so I am just going to assume you're kidding.

Shompola

Banned
yep looks the same as the model from E3.. However, it is just a model. Kinda dissapointing that we still do not know the overall look of the game.

trmas

Banned
This game is an FPS, so unless I am missing something (possible), this is a cutscene type model. It still looks good - we know the 360 is a capable piece of hardware, just really crappily manufactured.

That is my problem with the 360 - it's completely unreliable. Not a fan of Halo, but can still appreciate what Bungie is trying to accomplish. Looks pretty good, and anyone who says otherwise is just a troll. But, Halo still sucks as a game ;)

Jigsaw said:
screenshot tuned

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k265/mcbain_1st/h3wsjchiefmd51.jpg[IMG]

before...

[img]http://www.clubskill.com/downloads/Halo%203/halo3new07032.JPG[img][/QUOTE]

It's like realistic movie CG (the new) vs. saturday morning cartoon CG (the announce trailer) in my opinion.

Tieno

Shompola said:
yep looks the same as the model from E3.. However, it is just a model. Kinda dissapointing that we still do not know the overall look of the game.
Most of the SP you won't be looking at the MC model, let alone from this close (let alone any enemy from this close) and the engine is probably designed for big scenes which there's a hint of in this screen. Bungie showed without really showing, hehehe

raYne

Shompola said:
It's done on purpose. They explained it with the first actual in-game shot (a long time ago) that they take the pic at that angle to hide the SP details/possible story leaks.

Shame the beta hex and Mount Kilimanjaro pretty much ended the mystery. :lol

Emiru

Banned
Shit load of detail, 13 miles of draw distance, fantastic lighting and this game still gets trolled, only gaf....

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
szaromir said:
Will there be AA in MP, too?

According to their screenshots there would be ;) But I'm not sure if I'd take that to be indicative..screens are often rendered out at many times the resolution you'll play the game at, and resized to 720p or whatever - basically enhancing AA and texturing filtering etc.

But if Stinkles can confirm that these shots were all rendered at the game's native resolution (720p) and without added AA, then you could take them as is.

Zen

Banned
The textures have definitely taken a hit, that's not even debatable. Reminds me of the Halo 2 'Halo Jump' Teaser versus what he ended up looking like. Still looks great, and it will play great if they learned from the mistakes of the Halo 2 campaign (no boring corridor levels please).

Multiplayer sounds better then ever so no worries there.

syllogism

Skilotonn said:
I guess I must be wrong... I guess the concept of a free-roaming camera really IS too hard to understand... I mean, there's no way that the GAF servers are crashing JUST for this Campaign shot, right?

...right?

Breaking news, Bungie dumbfounds the world by being able to take a screenshot of your playthoughs at any angle! The future is now!

So do you think the cutscenes will in typical halo fashion look better than the actual gameplay?

szaromir

Banned
gofreak said:
According to their screenshots there would be ;) But I'm not sure if I'd take that to be indicative..screens are often rendered out at many times the resolution you'll play the game at, and resized to 720p or whatever - basically enhancing AA and texturing filtering etc.

But if Stinkles can confirm that these shots were all rendered at the game's native resolution (720p) and without added AA, then you could take them as is.
MP screenshots are clearly bullshots.
This one looks to have actual multisampling AA.

trmas said:
This game is an FPS, so unless I am missing something (possible), this is a cutscene type model. It still looks good - we know the 360 is a capable piece of hardware, just really crappily manufactured.

Way to bring completely unrelated shit into this thread. Smooth move.

trmas said:
That is my problem with the 360 - it's completely unreliable. Not a fan of Halo, but can still appreciate what Bungie is trying to accomplish. Looks pretty good, and anyone who says otherwise is just a troll. But, Halo still sucks as a game ;)

****ing ridiculous. I want my money back.

Skilotonn said:
Really? They were giving us screenshots of the made-especially-for-E3 demo that wasn't for the final game? Can you show them to me then?

I guess you don't remember the video of the master chief standing there ready to jump out of the ship, and the video they originally showed, claiming was real time in game and how the final would look showed really good dynamic lighting, self shadowing, very high quality texture maps, a fairly dense model and a bunch of other things that weren't seen in the final version of the game. SO yes the scene was in the final of the game but the actual rendering quality of it was no wheres near the same. There are gifs out there showing the difference side to side, and they've been around for ages and that is only 1 of the many differences between the final and that video. I have more important shit to do today than run around looking for a gif that has been posted on this site plenty of times before.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Definitely liking the newer look. His armor no longer looks like it's coated in a thin layer of snot.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
szaromir said:
MP screenshots are clearly bullshots.
This one looks to have actual multisampling AA.

On closer inspection, the edges aren't universally clean, so you yeah, these may be native res.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Vehicles put you in 3rd person ever since the first Halo... people forgot this I see...

And now you'll be seeing yourself in 3rd person now more than ever, with the Mongoose and other vehicles, Missile Launcher, walking around with the turret, etc...

Halo always required to have a model around - these "cutscene model" comments are really ridiculous...

PnCIa

I really like this one, looking good :D
Now, compared to the old E3 screenshots the details look less "defined" in this one. I guess the different lighting situations makes some details to look a bit more flat than before.

Emiru

Banned
_leech_ said:
Don't even go there, unless you want to turn this Halo thread into a Lair thread :/
I didnt even mention a game, I was just talking about how 1080p sucks, but this post just tell me that you think Lair is bland.

ypo

Did Bungie forget to test the game on the retail machine again just like they did with Halo 2?

:lol yea right.

GhaleonEB

Bungie has confirmed the game is not running at 1080p a while ago. All signs point to 720p.

Also, this screen is clearly a tease. The explosion in the visor, the way the camera is tilted up just enough to show a touch of the ground in the distance....but not much. It's a hint of what's to come. The only question is when.

gofreak: Stinkles described the shot in this thread as "unmodified".

besada

Banned
Agent Icebeezy said:
comparison images

I guess you missed the part where the first picture is clearly labeled CG. Or the part where Bungie explicitly said it was CG. Unlike certain other companies who pretended their CG was real-time footage.

Kinda confused by the "touching up" WSJ have done... in fact it makes no sense at all as to why they would spend time to do it.

But I'm just a lowly halo fan and will wait patiently!

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Yeah, one of my biggest gripes with the two previous iterations is that when you play co-op, you can't see the other player. It's like the model didn't even exist. Glad to see they've fixed that up for the finale.

Tards.

I wish all game shots were taken in first person (or at least some sort of believable third person angle), but haven't we had this conversation like a hundred times already? Developers and publishers like using these angles, and then especially if the games have easily identifiable and iconic characters. It's nothing new, it's nothing unique to Halo, and it's not going to go away. So suffer in silence.

szaromir

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
Bungie has confirmed the game is not running at 1080p a while ago. All signs point to 720p.

Also, this screen is clearly a tease. The explosion in the visor, the way the camera is tilted up just enough to show a touch of the ground in the distance....but not much. It's a hint of what's to come. The only question is when.
July 10th. :D

ypo said:
Did Bungie forget to test the game on the retail machine again just like they did with Halo 2?

:lol yea right.
This thread is just as bad as the previous ones with the trolls, atleast someone got banned in the last one.

besada said:
I guess you missed the part where the first picture is clearly labeled CG. Or the part where Bungie explicitly said it was CG. Unlike certain other companies who pretended their CG was real-time footage.

He was posting that to show that the model in the CG advert was clearly based on this look for the Chief, as opposed to the bumpy version from E3 06.

Madman

Emiru said:
Shit load of detail, 13 miles of draw distance, fantastic lighting and this game still gets trolled, only gaf....
Yeah, that would be like someone saying Heavenly Sword and Lair look terrible, right?

Top Bottom