• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Harry Potter game is in development, delevopers hurt by JK Rowlings comments

You need to check out the Era thread.

Soviet
Banned

User Banned (1 week): drive-by in a sensitive thread
Avalanche? Must be an open world then, color me interested.

Windu
Banned

please be good

DriftingSpirit
Visited by Knack
Banned

Next gen only?

Neat.

Ryuelli
Banned

Can't wait to play it. Give me a quidditch mode that's as fun as Quidditch World Cup was.

And that's just a few.

they're banning here too. it's retarded soy everywhere

Here is an idea: Quit.

Quit the studio and go make another game. Dont cash in on this supposed bigot's lifetime's work. She created this world from scratch. She is the genius. Not you.

I hate how Daniel Radcliffe and Emma Watson threw her under the bus the first chance they got. That woman made them who they are. She took them from a life of obscurity and made them all millionares. Without her there is no movies. Without her there is no game. Out of everyone involved, she is by far the smartest, most educated and most intellectual person and her opinion on this is by no means anti trans.

But if you think so, go ahead and quit. Dont sit there holding your dick bitching about how awful you feel. Put your money where you mouth is and leave. go make another game or work at walmart for all I care. I hate how they are trying to claim moral high ground by offering a trans character option. As if its their choice. Did JK Rowling ok this? She must have since this is her IP.

No they didn't need her to ok it. And that's what throws me off here. It feels a bit... rapey? that trans activists have been trying for years, fantasizing about it for years, and have now forced their ideology into her intellectual property - the world she conceived. What they've forced into her world, the product of her mind, is definitely something she is ethically opposed to. Forcing it in to spite her - look what we can do to your creation against your will, bitch! - comes off to me as taking glee at the feeling of overpowering a woman and her helplessness to stop them from non-consensually violating her creation.

I'm not talking about the devs here, to be clear. More the twitter mobs who pushed the devs into responding like this by slandering the whole team and making demands to prove they're not nazis. You know, the same ones for whom the Cyberpunk character creator just wasn't enough. And spoilers: this wasn't enough either. Nor was Troy Leavitt's resignation enough.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I think they “all the external influences” have destroyed any interest I had in this game. I just don’t understand why they want to push sexual issues on young children.

e&e

Banned
The problem here is companies have an incredible fear of these movements without realize they actually aren't movements but just a loudly minority.

To please this minority, they piss off the biggest part of their customers who have no idea why this things happen.
Expand on this sentence...

levyjl1988

Banned

They cancelled Dr. Suess.
eBay takes down listings of Dr. Suess books for offensive material meanwhile I can order Mein Kampf an autobiographical manifesto of Adolf Hitler on eBay, the times we live in.

Also, I'm starting a "Pillows are people too! movement against SJW"

This is so fucking ignorant. Go elsewhere? If you have a good job you can't simply go get another one like you would choose a TV program to watch. Working on a project is not supporting an IP, that would be buying it. And this asinine comment was posted during peak unemployment last year and relates to an industry where studios close quarterly kicking many people to the curb. Yeah belittle the challenges the people who work in the field that brings you to a message board face.

Rowling created HP and has a contract with businesses using the property. Her comments decrease the value of the property and harm the original agreements. She shouldn't be doubling down when it was obvious that it was creating an image problem. I suspect that many contracts for licensing properties will have clauses that protect the licensee from stupid creators blabbing off online because of this.

Boycotting the property because Rowling gets a cut is also ignorant. Let's try to damage a bunch of people's careers and lives because they are working on a game based on a property from a creator that is a shit. So thoughtful and useful.

Its not going to amount to much, but sometimes a game's success is determined by meeting some sales goal. If enough people are pissed off who would have bought the game but now don't, it could lead to layoffs and that is shitty.
Ignorant at hypocrisy? Okay then. I am pretty sure some of these people have other contracts in the pipeline as that is how contracts work, they can either accept the contract or not. Kind of "fucking" ignorant to ignore that little detail, eh?

Not belittling anything, I sympathise with people who lost their jobs so not taking that away from them (and good job trying to highlight when I did the comment because I obviously did it to correlate to Joblessness. i.e: I am unemployed), but maybe they should support JK if they want to make money off her IP? She can tear up the Contract if she really feels that herself or the Board are devaluing their IP.

Not claiming otherwise on layoffs either on boycotting, but if the people want to Boycott because of JK, that's their pejorative. Not my monkey, not my Circus. That is Capitalism and Freedom to purchase or not.

Last edited:

Ryu Kaiba

Oof I wasn't too hyped for the game but then the trailers started to look good, and the dollars spent were going toward woke tears so it guaranteed a purchase from me, but now I'm not so sure.

Last edited:

Ryu Kaiba

I hate how Daniel Radcliffe and Emma Watson threw her under the bus the first chance they got. That woman made them who they are. She took them from a life of obscurity and made them all millionares. Without her there is no movies. Without her there is no game. Out of everyone involved, she is by far the smartest, most educated and most intellectual person and her opinion on this is by no means anti trans.
Though I found this to be absolutely pathetic hill for JKR to die on, it was indeed quite ugly to see people she plucked from obscurity denounce her. Daniel R and Emma Watson need not agree with her and think she's a raging TERF, but my old-fashioned self thinks they at least owed her their silence. Oh well..
I can't be that mad at them as they have their own career's to protect. It's kind of like when Disney's Mulan remake actress said she sided with Communist China, you have to think about the position she's in and the absolute disaster she'd create for Disney if she said free Hong Kong or something. It's possible they may disagree with the mob but there is no way they can actually voice that.

Top Bottom