• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Harry Potter game is in development, delevopers hurt by JK Rowlings comments

cormack12

Gold Member
m2CDnj.jpg

No one will give a fuck. Internet snowflakes will reeeeeee, they will get retweets and likes. They will be made fun of. Most will just eye roll at them contemptuously.

What games did you think are good examples of having black hair options?

Every game with a character creator has trans options by default, because no one asked you whether or not they were trans.

It sounds to me almost like a 4chan troll to get devs to make 'trans character creation' possible having someone in a dress with a manly voice.
Sadly not so many with full editor

Nba games, something in sims 4, maybe dark souls games iirc

I wonder what Jason's feelings are like. Does he know he works for a billionaire racist? How does he reconcile his feelings of pointing out "injustice in video game characters" while making money for a billionaire racist?

Oh, I know the answer, he hypes up Gamergate and "gamer extremism" so he seems like a real hero by comparison.

Sadly not so many with full editor

Nba games, something in sims 4, maybe dark souls games iirc
I didn't know about Dark Souls!

Animal Crossing NH eventually released a free set of afro-textured hairstyles which I thought looked really good. Not sure if that counts because it wasn't there at launch, but considering the series' history it's good progress.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i see now that the game is including transgender characters....but somehow it's not enough!! because JK Rowling will still profit!!

what you want to happen at this point really? she fucking created Harry Potter so yeah she's gonna make money from it. should we just cancel the game? scrap it? lol naaaaaah.

these people were never gonna buy the game so how bout they just STFU. they will piss and moan no matter what. there is no pleasing them.

sainraja

There's a difference here. TLOU2 pandered to that audience so they on the whole defended it.

A Harry Potter game probably isn't pandering and fair game for the woke gaming press to not defend it.
The game is being worked on by the people who were offended by her. Do you really think there won't be pandering to them in it?

TVexperto

I wonder what Jason's feelings are like. Does he know he works for a billionaire racist? How does he reconcile his feelings of pointing out "injustice in video game characters" while making money for a billionaire racist?

Oh, I know the answer, he hypes up Gamergate and "gamer extremism" so he seems like a real hero by comparison.
I seriously don’t understand how he got a job at bloomberg

Last edited:

GreyHorace

i see now that the game is including transgender characters....but somehow it's not enough!! because JK Rowling will still profit!!

what you want to happen at this point really? she fucking created Harry Potter so yeah she's gonna make money from it. should we just cancel the game? scrap it? lol naaaaaah.

these people were never gonna buy the game so how bout they just STFU. they will piss and moan no matter what. there is no pleasing them.
You'd be surprised. While it's debatable whether SJWs really do consume Star Wars or Marvel media, I do think a lot of them are genuine Potterheads. That's why it's tearing their minds out that the creator of their favorite series is a TERF. Like I said, they want their Wizarding world but don't want to support it's 'problematic' creator. It's hilarious.

I didn't know about Dark Souls!

Animal Crossing NH eventually released a free set of afro-textured hairstyles which I thought looked really good. Not sure if that counts because it wasn't there at launch, but considering the series' history it's good progress.
AC certainly has awesome options, even more considering it has a chibi style, is pretty accurate

Look at Nadine hair in Uncharted, now THAT is a curly hair texture
Not having a proper afro curly hair texture in editors is such a waste imo, I find them really cool ( as a curly person myself, too lol)

Rowling has courted controversy on Twitter in the past, but this month, she made her most inflammatory comments yet. On June 6, Rowling tweeted criticism of an article that used the phrase “people who menstruate” to differentiate between those who were born women and those who transitioned. Later, the author expanded on her thoughts in an essay on her website, writing that “the ‘inclusive’ language that calls female people ‘menstruators’ and ‘people with vulvas’ strikes many women as dehumanising and demeaning.”

So let's get this straight. JK Rowling is in trouble because she disagrees with people calling women "people who menstruate" or "people with vulvas". This is, according to Jason., "her most inflammatory comments yet". Her disagreeing with "people who menstruate".

THIS is why people have lost their shit for years? The fact that a woman does not agree with what a bunch of men in dresses want to call her? She was not happy with men calling women "people with vulvas" and that makes her a horrible person?

Effing unreal.

Last edited:

StormCell

So let's get this straight. JK Rowling is in trouble because she disagrees with people calling women "people who menstruate" or "people with vulvas". This is, according to Jason., "her most inflammatory comments yet". Her disagreeing with "people who menstruate".

THIS is why people have lost their shit for years? The fact that a woman does not agree with what a bunch of men in dresses want to call her? She was not happy with men calling women "people with vulvas" and that makes her a horrible person?

Effing unreal.

Yep. Seriously. Reading Twitter just gives me a fiery passionate desire to take that whole fucking platform down and keep it down indefinitely. That these #cancelculture tweeters have that kind of voice on there, and evidently that kind of power, emanating from such a platform is just gross. It desperately needs to be stopped.

GreyHorace

Yep. She's anti their delusional agenda. Which most people grounded in reality are.
To be fair though, she kinda had this coming to her because she entertained their delusional agenda. Remember when she revealed Dumbledore was gay all along and didn't mind a black actress playing Hermione in The Cursed Child?

It's only her statements against transpeople that made her public enemy No 1 among the woke crowd.

So this is really the same as Gina, who dared make pro-woman statements. Guilty of asserting her identity and demanding to end the dehumanization. How dare a woman be pro woman! Jason hath decreed.

Ironically aren’t these the things these activists are always doing themselves? They complain about how other mis use their identity and dehumanize them. But if JK or Gina does the exact same thing as them, they need to be removed from society.

The last bit is the scary part. It’s why “mob” and “cult” are appropriate words. They don’t just want an apology or even to remove the offending speech. They want that person to be permanently removed from society. They are fired and every trace of them existing should be removed. The mob dehumanizes these women for standing up for themselves.

Call it out when you see it folks. Jason and his ilk are women hating empty vessels

Last edited:

TexMex

The truth hurts those weirdos. She ain’t “anti trans”, they’re just tarded.

Yeah it's weird. She made a couple of comments people took exception with. The insane mental leap that has to take place to describe her "anti trans crusade" is just beyond me. Hell 99% of her trans commentary has been in the form of constant apologies for her initial (accurate) comment about trans people.

Marvel14

Banned
This is such a difficult topic and as a society we're still learning about how best to be inclusive to trans people. Which is why I want to give JKR some slack..and note that she is speaking as an abuse survivor. The vitriol and abuse that she received for sharing her admittedly trans-foggy perspective as an abuse survivor was truly something awful to behold ..

pratyush

Jason actually manufactured this story. He was going on and on about how developers must be feeling after PlayStation show in which Harry Potter game trailer was shown. Then replied to his tweet saying he will look into this story. And guess what, this story popped out in few weeks. That's how you do validation of your ideology.

tassletine

To be fair though, she kinda had this coming to her because she entertained their delusional agenda. Remember when she revealed Dumbledore was gay all along and didn't mind a black actress playing Hermione in The Cursed Child?

It's only her statements against transpeople that made her public enemy No 1 among the woke crowd.
The people who get it worst are always the ones who were seen as being on their side or pandered to them.
They're just a cult. Cults are all intolerant and rubbish their ex-members.

Cyberpunkd

The people leaking this news did it because development of the game started long before Rowling's anti-trans crusade, and because they're sad and frustrated
I'm sorry to be insensitive but are people working in a videogame industry children unable to process emotions? TF it means when grown-ups are 'sad and frustrated' because of views of someone they never met and who has no oversight on their work? Children can be 'sad and frustrated', as an adult you are supposed to learn how to deal with this shit.

Also - want to bet people will find offense with witch/wizard? Oh boy, I sure hope it will not be linked to boy / girl selection, otherwise you will get people up in arms over not being able to play 'male witches' and 'female wizards'.

Here, have a male witch(er):

Henry Cavill Witcher GIF by NETFLIX

Last edited:

Yoboman

I’m not sure why there are so many defending JK Rowling like she is some anti SJW advocate

She is Uber SJW, the thing is she is a radical feminist who sees all men as the enemy and that extends to trans people who used to be men. She literally wrote a lame ass book about sexual predator trans women and long ass essays about how they are stealing poor white women’s rights

Cob32

I'm sorry to be insensitive but are people working in a videogame industry children unable to process emotions? TF it means when grown-ups are 'sad and frustrated' because of views of someone they never met and who has no oversight on their work? Children can be 'sad and frustrated', as an adult you are supposed to learn how to deal with this shit.

Also - want to bet people will find offense with witch/wizard? Oh boy, I sure hope it will not be linked to boy / girl selection, otherwise you will get people up in arms over not being able to play 'male witches' and 'female wizards'.

Here, have a male witch(er):

Henry Cavill Witcher GIF by NETFLIX
I for one will be furious if we don’t get wizxrd and wxtch.

Herr Edgy

Effing unreal.
You got it the other way around.
"People who menstruate" was not used as a descriptor for women. The idea was that it's not just women who menstruate. As in, men menstruate, women can have penises, and men can give birth - that's what she disagreed with.
So it's much more absurd than how you understood it.

Cyberpunkd

"People who menstruate" was not used as a descriptor for women. The idea was that it's not just women who menstruate. As in, men menstruate, women can have penises, and men can give birth - that's what she disagreed with.
To be more precise - 'women' being used instead of 'people who menstruate' was considered inflammatory since trans men before transition (so in effect biological women) can menstruate as well.

It is important to note (what everyone is forgetting, but hey - let's be outraged) that UK feminism is structured differently than the US one. JK Rowling sees trans women rights as taking the spotlight from the rights of biological women, especially given that as a biological woman your life experience is different than that of a trans woman e.g. you don't have society making you critical of your weight at the age of 5 if you are a trans woman, since you are a boy at that age.

So she is not opposed to trans rights, what she is opposed to is trans rights becoming a mainstream of feminism, effectively sidelining the conversation regarding the dangers and difficulties faced by girls and young women from an early age.

Last edited:
They are so offended that they find it sickening to work on a franchise made by that witch. Therefore they decided to do.... NOTHING about it because they have no balls to resign because they know they wont get work any time soon during covid. Shout at the clouds, you tell em !

jaysius

Banned
There are also women that are post menopause and have a hysterotomy and have other disease things that inhibit vaginal bleeding, so it's not suitable at all.

What the fuck are we talking about, this is a fucking gaming forum.

I read over on REEEEE that they're putting trans into the character creator and it's pissing off JK too. She's such a meme at this point maybe we should call her "J K Rowling on the floor".

Who cares really, it's a stupid game where they definitely won't customize the story for your gender so if they put a trans option in there whatever.

What I'd really like to see is Bioware or some Scifi game creator get inventive with genders in the character creators.

Last edited:
Apparently these kind of discussion become part of our daily life and we cannot enjoy a game without some over concern people ! Who cares what are your gende pereferences ! Let us just enjoy the game ! If you want to be trans or any other things then good for you! Dont need to drag everything into these subjects !

It is just getting frustrating !

Herr Edgy

To be more precise - 'women' being used instead of 'people who menstruate' was considered inflammatory since trans men before transition (so in effect biological women) can menstruate as well.

It is important to note (what everyone is forgetting, but hey - let's be outraged) that UK feminism is structured differently than the US one. JK Rowling sees trans women rights as taking the spotlight from the rights of biological women, especially given that as a biological woman your life experience is different than that of a trans woman e.g. you don't have society making you critical of your weight at the age of 5 if you are a trans woman, since you are a boy at that age.

So she is not opposed to trans rights, what she is opposed to is trans rights becoming a mainstream of feminism, effectively sidelining the conversation regarding the dangers and difficulties faced by girls and young women from an early age.
'Trans rights' has become false flag, the term isn't used as someone who isn't part of the movement would understand it. It's not about rights, it's about mindset.

If you are in favor of trans rights (i.e. trans people should generally have the same rights as other people, to marry, adopt etc.) but you disagree with some of their views, you are against their understanding of trans rights. They will tell you and believe that you want them dead, because your mindset of not agreeing will feed actual transphobes' mindsets, so you 'actively' contribute to them being killed.

I had a private conversation with a trans person from that movement on a game's discord that asked the devs to 'say trans rights'. An honest conversation, as polite as possible. I told her I wanted to learn - as in, get my thoughts from a person like her directly rather than just the public perception. She understood it as her teaching me the correct views, which I corrected her on later. All questions that went into the direction of "what if person X generally is for trans rights but disagrees with, for example, trans women competing with biological women in sports" - she dodged answering at first by calling into question her own authority on the subject - "I am not the correct person to ask" - "I don't have the expertise required" and so on.
After insisting that I'm not asking for a 'professional opinion' but just her own (which was hard to get out of her), that hypothetical woman was deemed transphobic and against trans rights because if that hypothetical woman sees a difference in trans women and biological women, it goes against her identity and directly hurts her.

BabyYoda

Banned
She finally says something I agree with and that I believe to be correct and humane and they attack her for it, go figure with current year...

sainraja

There's a difference here. TLOU2 pandered to that audience so they on the whole defended it.

A Harry Potter game probably isn't pandering and fair game for the woke gaming press to not defend it.
To add on to what I was saying earlier, the development team has already stated that she has little to no influence on the game so....you can very well imagine what that means.

Last edited:

levyjl1988

Banned
This game is racist because you cannot play as a furry, you can play as a transgendered person, but you can't play as a sexy wolf chick. Are you fucking kidding me. Fuck those SJW those racist bastards. Fuck this game!

KungFucius

King Snowflake
But they will profit from her Property at the same time?

If they are that hurt by her Opinion , go elsewhere and don't support HP then.

Can't have it both ways.
This is so fucking ignorant. Go elsewhere? If you have a good job you can't simply go get another one like you would choose a TV program to watch. Working on a project is not supporting an IP, that would be buying it. And this asinine comment was posted during peak unemployment last year and relates to an industry where studios close quarterly kicking many people to the curb. Yeah belittle the challenges the people who work in the field that brings you to a message board face.

Rowling created HP and has a contract with businesses using the property. Her comments decrease the value of the property and harm the original agreements. She shouldn't be doubling down when it was obvious that it was creating an image problem. I suspect that many contracts for licensing properties will have clauses that protect the licensee from stupid creators blabbing off online because of this.

Boycotting the property because Rowling gets a cut is also ignorant. Let's try to damage a bunch of people's careers and lives because they are working on a game based on a property from a creator that is a shit. So thoughtful and useful.

Its not going to amount to much, but sometimes a game's success is determined by meeting some sales goal. If enough people are pissed off who would have bought the game but now don't, it could lead to layoffs and that is shitty.

tassletine

This is so fucking ignorant. Go elsewhere? If you have a good job you can't simply go get another one like you would choose a TV program to watch. Working on a project is not supporting an IP, that would be buying it. And this asinine comment was posted during peak unemployment last year and relates to an industry where studios close quarterly kicking many people to the curb. Yeah belittle the challenges the people who work in the field that brings you to a message board face.

Rowling created HP and has a contract with businesses using the property. Her comments decrease the value of the property and harm the original agreements. She shouldn't be doubling down when it was obvious that it was creating an image problem. I suspect that many contracts for licensing properties will have clauses that protect the licensee from stupid creators blabbing off online because of this.

Boycotting the property because Rowling gets a cut is also ignorant. Let's try to damage a bunch of people's careers and lives because they are working on a game based on a property from a creator that is a shit. So thoughtful and useful.

Its not going to amount to much, but sometimes a game's success is determined by meeting some sales goal. If enough people are pissed off who would have bought the game but now don't, it could lead to layoffs and that is shitty.
Her comments only decrease the value of the property if the publishers decide to act on the criticism.
What you see as doubling down, used to be called integrity. A lot of readers value integrity from an author.

The most fickle readers, the ones who are likely most swayed by what is in fashion politically at the moment, are the ones most likely to leave anyway -- So strategically speaking Rowling is playing a long game, rather than caving into peer pressure. Since her stories deal with those themes (and bullying etc) it would show a bad example to her readers to cave into such a fickle, hysterical mob. A mob that will most likely die out once people get bored of political correctness, like they did in the 80's.

So she is cancelled because she dare say men cannot give birth?

We live in a time when stating the truth is a revolutionary act.

I can understand the need for a company to distance itself from public controversy. Sadly, the wheels of capitalism will crush many people for many unjust reasons.

But she owns it. She created it. So that isn't going to happen. She is not going away.

If it offends you so much that she is involved then you need to not consume her products. This is what I don't understand, these people are saying "she is literally killing us" and yet that is not enough for them to stop consuming wizard movies for children.

No matter what happens, she is going to profit from Harry Potter, all of that money is going to her. Sacrificing a poor game dev singled out by rabid game journalists is not going to change this fact.

Last edited:

Arkam

Again this thread is bumped to the front page.... again there are no updates on the game. Just more fucking drama from dipshits who need to simply grow the fuck up and join the rest of in this amazing place called "reality".

Senua

Again this thread is bumped to the front page.... again there are no updates on the game. Just more fucking drama from dipshits who need to simply grow the fuck up and join the rest of in this amazing place called "reality".
Reality is scary! Please daddy no more

Top Bottom