• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New interview with Cerny, goes into detail about PS4 hardware

Perkel

Banned
I'm not sure it says that (although, tbh, we'd have to get on the same page about what 'HSA' means, since it's really an umbrella term for so many different things...). He talks about HSA and seems to say that an option for longer term roadmap is one language that can work on CPU and GPU, but that at the moment they're offering the regular high level APIs + full hardware access. But a good translation would be useful there...

This is HSA:

HSA Explained - How Heterogenous System Architecture will improve com...

That would be very dumb. There should at least be 1GB reserved for OS so Sony won´t have their hardware bottleneck in 3-4 years. Future proofing the OS should be really important for Sony.
It's not really necessary for all the OS to be in memory at all times. 512 MB should be enough for all the always running features.

I can balloon up when the home button or whatever is pressed.

IDK I guess I see it differently when your upgrading to a new system that has practically the same controller that's not making some SD to HD jump. I think most consumers will wonder why the should pay >$400 for something that has a small library that does practically what the old console did.

Well, the PS3's sales really took off once they removed the PS2 BC. I think that shows that most consumers really don't view BC as some make or break feature. It's nice to have, but those consumers want to buy a PS4 to play PS4 games.

This is the part that concerns me the most. As the owner of a two-job PS3, it has been one big game of playing catch-up right out of the gate. PS4-Vita remote play sounds glorious, but I'll won't give two shats about it if they take years to roll it out. I understand the need for the ability to evolve, but that doesn't excuse the removal of features from the checklist of selling points for early adopters/enthusiasts.

I think you're reading into it too much.

I'm not sure it says that (although, tbh, we'd have to get on the same page about what 'HSA' means, since it's really an umbrella term for so many different things...). He talks about HSA and seems to say that an option for longer term roadmap is one language that can work on CPU and GPU, but that at the moment they're offering the regular high level APIs + full hardware access. But a good translation would be useful there...

I'm not sure what that part says either. If anything that part was more difficult to read than others.

Zoe

They've yet to talk about installs, right? I really, really hope it's not like on the PS3...

Considering how you're supposed to be able to start playing the game before it finishes downloading, it won't be like the PS3.

DemonNite

We need to get one of those manga translating sites on this!

AWZ6Je0.jpg

snap0212

Considering how you're supposed to be able to start playing the game before it finishes downloading, it won't be like the PS3.
They also said the PSVita updates wouldn't be intrusive, though. ;)

I want to see the process before getting excited. :)

test_account

XP-39C²
[*]They also said support for CD was dropped because of how the new DVD/BD player reads the data? (speed?)
I would guess that CD support was dropped because it means one less diode in the laser head (instead of three diodes, they now have two instead, one for DVD and one for Bluray).

reson8or

Sounds nice, I hope 4k doesn't turn into a bottleneck for them. I know they're saying that 4k is the future, but they also said that about Cell and look what happened there.

By the time 4K TV's becomes common enough to warrant games support, we will be discussing the PS5.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward

Right, and PS4 uses an APU.

HSA is itself a collection of tech on a roadmap, some of which is software, some of which is hardware, not all of which is yet realised.

The article is making the point that PS4 is using some proprietary SCE optimisations (like the ACE changes, the onion+ gpu cache pass through) and not 'just' technology from the AMD HSA roadmap. It's not saying 'it doesn't use HSA'. It's saying it doesn't 'just' use off-the-shelf HSA stuff.

(I think! :))

HSA is itself a collection of tech on a roadmap, some of which is software, some of which is hardware, not all of which is yet realised.

The article is making the point that PS4 is using some proprietary SCE optimisations (like the ACE changes) and not 'just' technology from the AMD HSA roadmap. It's not saying 'it doesn't use HSA'. It's saying it doesn't 'just' use off-the-shelf HSA stuff.

(I think! :))

Good point, I'll make the correction.

Perkel

Banned

The article is making the point that PS4 is using some proprietary SCE optimisations (like the ACE changes) and not 'just' technology from the AMD HSA roadmap. It's not saying 'it doesn't use HSA'. It's saying it doesn't 'just' use off-the-shelf HSA stuff.

By that translated article Cerny said that they couldn't implement it so they had to do their own things with it. (if translation is good). This means they clearly wanted that feature in AMD fashion (since both chips are AMD)

Now they could talk a bit if there are VUs rumored. That would be really interesting.

DrPirate

Banned
IDK I guess I see it differently when your upgrading to a new system that has practically the same controller that's not making some SD to HD jump. I think most consumers will wonder why the should pay >$400 for something that has a small library that does practically what the old console did.

If they market the PS4 correctly, consumers will not have to wonder what the PS4 does that the PS3 can't. If they sell the features along with the games I think the lack of BC, realistically, is a moot point.

also no one except the people on this forum ever use BC
joking

Zoe

I would guess that CD support was dropped because it means one less diode in the laser head (instead of three diodes, they now have two instead, one for DVD and one for Bluray).

A correction was made to the article saying that the drive can read CD's--the system just won't support playback of music CD's.

ElFly

This is the part that concerns me the most. As the owner of a two-job PS3, it has been one big game of playing catch-up right out of the gate. PS4-Vita remote play sounds glorious, but I'll won't give two shats about it if they take years to roll it out. I understand the need for the ability to evolve, but that doesn't excuse the removal of features from the checklist of selling points for early adopters/enthusiasts.

Didn't they say that it'd be up to each developer to support a control scheme that works on the vita?

It means they don't have to pay licensing for the audio codec used on CDs.

Wait, I thought traditional redbook audio was not compressed. It's just more or less raw audio; what codec is involved? Even if there is one, that cost has to be trivial at this point. Even on the scope of millions of units, it's gotta be trivial.

PS3 backwards compatibility absolutely is a problem. The Cell simply isn't cheap to produce, and software emulation of the PS3 is simply impossible at this point. The PS3's hardware architecture is just a horrible pain in the ass to deal with for everyone.

Not really. Devs/Publishers want to be able to rerelease old games. HD collections, PS1/2 Classics, and XBLA is good money. If PS4/Durango had full BC it would kill any type of future business. So even though it sucks for us, Sony has their hands tied.

noobasuar

Banned
Well, the PS3's sales really took off once they removed the PS2 BC. I think that shows that most consumers really don't view BC as some make or break feature. It's nice to have, but those consumers want to buy a PS4 to play PS4 games.

Yeah well I wouldn't correlate removing BC with higher sales. I think it was the combination of cheaper price, slim model, free online that propelled the system to pick up sales.

I'd also like to say that people do care about playing things other than PS4 games when you see how many HD collections were made this gen and how favorable of a response they got.

So with the PS3 you did end up having quite a bit of the ps2 catalogue released making the PS3 into a machine that had games from the ps1, ps2, and ps3.

It's going to be way harder to get people to buy these games again though when people have already bought them and the fact there's just no as big thing you can to do with a game as take it from SD to HD.

IDK I agree that Sony is doing a ton of smart stuff with the system, but not having BC in my opinion could be something that holds back the PS4 from selling enough to succeed and with high development cost's I feel that a console needs to succeed early on for it to prosper.

R3TRODYCE

The only thing I fear is that a lot of the features that I want may not become available until quite some time after.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

That also coincided with a price drop IIRC. Also, the more multimedia functions these devices and the software applications beyond games provide the more backward compatibility matters. What happens to Netflix? What happens to the PlayTV software? Etc... Is PS4 starting from scratch on all that? How long will. It take for the platform to fill those deficiencies?

I think that BC is currently a big strength for iOS and Android as it has always been for Windows and to a limited extent MacOS/OS X... If those platforms restarted from scratch losing tons of features each time a new HW model is released you can expect developers and users to be very angry IMHO... Just imagine an Apple Maps-gate on a larger scale.

test_account

XP-39C²
They also said the PSVita updates wouldn't be intrusive, though. ;)

I want to see the process before getting excited. :)
Vita updates can easily be downloaded in the background and it doesnt take long to install them. Or how do you mean with being intrusive? The firmware updates havnt been intrusive at all in my experience. They have taken less than 5 minutes or so each time =)

A correction was made to the article saying that the drive can read CD's--the system just won't support playback of music CD's.
Oh, i see, thanks. That is strange, why not allow music playback if CDs can be read? What else are CDs used for in these days (also for backup of files i know, but that doesnt seem like something that can be used on the PS4 anyway).

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
It means they don't have to pay licensing for the audio codec used on CDs.

E3 2013. Sony's presentation. The last game was shown. Jack Tretton walks out again.

"I have a comment about persistent rumors regarding our platform.
I wanted to take this opportunity to address these." He pauses.

"Let me be crystal clear before I make my next statements: We are a games machine. We have the games."
The crowd cheers, anticipating greatness.
"Thanks. This doesn't mean we forgot about the other entertainment products that you use in your balanced life."
The crowd goes silent.
"I'm proud to announce that the Music-CD functionality has been kept and you will be able to play any music-CD you can find."

*BOOM* Sony dominates E3.

Didn't they say that it'd be up to each developer to support a control scheme that works on the vita?

Actually it is mandatory except for in the instances given in the OP. I believe that Remote Play may be limited in distance in its initial implementation and gain range as the generation moves on.

The Witcher developer talks about the PS4 and Vita interaction:

The touchpad gives us extra opportunities," he continued, "but it's too early to talk about
because it's a highly specific thing and we need more time to develop something cool." The same goes for PlayStation Vita Remote Play, which allows PS4 games to be streamed and played on the Vita screen. "There are many cool features how to communicate PS4 with Vita and how to share experience between those two platforms," he said, "but for us it's too early: the game is huge and first things first

DrPirate

Banned
Not really. Devs/Publishers want to be able to rerelease old games. HD collections, PS1/2 Classics, and XBLA is good money. If PS4/Durango had full BC it would kill any type of future business. So even though it sucks for us, Sony has their hands tied.

Perhaps not re-releases, but if you think about the way they can monetize gaikai, you pay a subscription fee that lets you access their entire library of games ala Netflix. Not having BC would make sense in this type of business plan.

I'd also like to say that people do care about playing things other than PS4 games when you see how many HD collections were made this gen and how favorable of a response they got.

Strictly my opinion, but the only HD collections I got were for games that were trying to do way too much on the consoles they originated on. God of War 1/2 on PS2 suffered terrible screen tearing that was corrected. Shadow of the Colossus was playable in a framerate that didn't give you a headache on PS3.

I regrettably bought Jak HD collection for trophies and regretted it since the game was virtually unchanged and I haven't done the same thing since.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
By that translated article Cerny said that they couldn't implement it so they had to do their own things with it. (if translation is good). This means they clearly wanted that feature in AMD fashion (since both chips are AMD)

Not sure I follow, or what translation your referring to.

But I would say that the state of the art in APU tech today does not fully realise the entire 'HSA' vision.

The roadmap extends years into the future.

The article makes the point that Sony introduced some of their own optimisations to (they hope) improve on what AMD was offering off-the-shelf from their APU tech in 2013.

(For example, something that is down on the AMD APU roadmap for the future is better context switching between graphics and compute so you can more viably mix the two types of task on one set of GPU resources. Sony's ACE changes are addressing the same problem, except today, in time for PS4)

Wait, I thought traditional redbook audio was not compressed. It's just more or less raw audio; what codec is involved? Even if there is one, that cost has to be trivial at this point. Even on the scope of millions of units, it's gotta be trivial.
DRM checks yo. Traditional redbook audio would be fine but lots of CDs these days have DRM attached that requires increased dev time to implement. It's not worth it anymore these days since people will be more likely to have MP3s of their music.

noobasuar

Banned

You see I feel the total opposite of this. There's a reason why people buy Apps from the Itunes store and it's because of customer relations.

If for every new Iphone you bought there was a new store that wouldn't let you play the games you've bought in the past, that you best believe nobody would be buying a fucking thing off the App store and it would be a wasteland.

Anyone that think's differently is delusional especially developers if they think they can get away with re-selling these games again.

Consumers rather have a system that cost 100 dollars less. Keep your PS3, it's not like they are going to stop selling it when the PS4 releases.

You see I feel the total opposite of this. There's a reason why people buy Apps from the Itunes store and it's because of customer relations.

If for every new Iphone you bought there was a new store that wouldn't let you play the games you've bought in the past, that you best believe nobody would be buying a fucking thing off the App store and it would be a wasteland.

Anyone that think's differently is delusional especially developers if they think they can get away with re-selling these games again.

There's a new iphone every year, a console releases every six. I don't want to pay the price of a new console with old hardware in it when i have it already next to my tv. Why should i have to pay more or have my new gadget compromised (same price, less new components in order to make space for the old ones) for something i already own?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
E3 2013. Sony's presentation. The last game was shown. Jack Tretton walks out again.

"I have a comment about persistent rumors regarding our platform.
I wanted to take this opportunity to address these." He pauses.

"Let me be crystal clear before I make my next statements: We are a games machine. We have the games."
The crowd cheers, anticipating greatness.
"Thanks. This doesn't mean we forgot about the other entertainment products that you use in your balanced life."
The crowd goes silent.
"I'm proud to announce that the Music-CD functionality has been kept and you will be able to play any music-CD you can find."

*BOOM* Sony dominates E3.

Yeah I would lol hard if he said that.

Either way I think they're making the right calls to keep costs in check and also have a powerful robust machine.

Zoe

DRM checks yo. Traditional redbook audio would be fine but lots of CDs these days have DRM attached that requires increased dev time to implement. It's not worth it anymore these days since people will be more likely to have MP3s of their music.

I thought CD's that used DRM couldn't be called audio CD's (couldn't carry the logo). At least that was the case with Avex's CCCD's.

jayu26

°°ToMmY°°;51584568 said:
There's a new iphone every year, a console releases every six. I don't want to pay the price of a new console with old hardware in it when i have it already next to my tv. Why should i have to pay more or have my new gadget compromised (same price, less new components in order to make space for the old ones) for something i already own?

This and if you believe that all future mobile devices will allow you use your old apps you are delusional. Technology changes, things have be sacrificed.

I think because Sony is setting the system up so theoretically they will never have to compromise on BC again people will overlook it this time. It's the next next system though that I would personally be shocked wasn't fully compatible.

noobasuar

Banned
°°ToMmY°°;51584568 said:

I'm not saying you should wan't anything. I'm just saying that in 2013 the general public, not the hardcore, are going to wonder why the hell they should buy a new console that doesn't support any of their old games when their Ipads/Iphones do.

And then when the system launches with a practically empty store that has let's say "The Witness" people will wonder why the hell they would buy a game from a company that doesn't guarantee that digital goods will transfer over to the next system when they can get that same exact game for their Ipad and feel much more comfortable that it will work on Ipads for the rest of their lives.

I thought CD's that used DRM couldn't be called audio CD's (couldn't carry the logo). At least that was the case with Avex's CCCD's.

Hmm. Is that so? I have no idea why they wouldn't implement it then unless they just didn't want to write a software music player which doesn't make sense since it's likely to support MP3s.

Top Bottom