• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Kinect Star Wars footage - Oh boy...

OverHeat

« generous god »
Wow just wow this look like dog shit. If the majority of the next Xbox games play like this I'm out MS.

Feature

Banned
Meh, looks like typical NeoGaf overreaction.
The game doesn't look great, but fighting looks ok, sometimes even good (except for the "Dooku getting sliced for 5 seconds without moving" part), pod racing is the generic racing minigame, the only thing that really looked mediocre IMO is the space shooting part, but we didn't see much of it and to be honest, my 10 years old self would have been all over it.
And the video presentation is no better nor worse than any kids show.

You really think the game reacts the way they were showing it? This video made me sick. The fact that they aren't even bothering with faking the movements like they did at E3, but instead choose to not even show the hosts and teh screen in the same image, says it all. This game will suck horribly and this is the only way they can sell it... by masking all the horrible fail within the game.

Oh come on, there are tons of Star Wars games out there, and most of them are good (the old KOTOR and Republic Commando, more recently the Force Unleashed games and the latest MMO about which I only read praises).
I don't want to spend time defending a game I'm not even interested in, but you can't criticize a game for what it isn't. Imagine yourself when you were 10 and wanted to "play Star Wars" in your backyard, did you want to get into a deep background about political intrigues, jedi lore or planetary systems ? No, you wanted to deflect lasers with your saber, duel bad guys, use the force by waving your hands and go "pew pew" on space ships. Thats what this game is about, and that's exactly what it does.

It's not even about the content for me, the software essentially doesn't respond to the hardware. Even if the game is aimed at kids, the game should still respond to your actions as expected. If Kinect is unable to get that kind of precision (nothing I've seen of it suggests it can), then stick to making Dance Central and its ilk for the damn thing.

I know that if I was a kid and Mario in Super Mario Bros only responded to about 25% of my inputs (like Star Wars Kinect), then I would throw the stupid thing away, kids aren't as lenient as you suggest.

Alx

Is it 2010 again, with people claiming that kinect doesn't work ?
I have no way of knowing how that specific game responds (neither do you by the way), but after spending some time with the sensor, I know what it can do and what it can't. And there's no reason to believe it would struggle to register things like slicing directions, jumps and "push" motions.

demolitio

Oh come on, there are tons of Star Wars games out there, and most of them are good (the old KOTOR and Republic Commando, more recently the Force Unleashed games and the latest MMO about which I only read praises).
I don't want to spend time defending a game I'm not even interested in, but you can't criticize a game for what it isn't. Imagine yourself when you were 10 and wanted to "play Star Wars" in your backyard, did you want to get into a deep background about political intrigues, jedi lore or planetary systems ? No, you wanted to deflect lasers with your saber, duel bad guys, use the force by waving your hands and go "pew pew" on space ships. Thats what this game is about, and that's exactly what it does.

How can you not a criticize a game for what it isn't?
"I want more of the crazy missions from previous GTA's in GTA IV!" I guess that's invalid since that isn't GTA IV.

"Mass Effect is good but its shooting mechanics feel too dependent on stats and not skill!" Well, that wasn't what they were going for in Mass Effect 1 so I guess that criticism is invalid too even if they changed ME2 to address that very concern.

No one mentioned deep political intrigue or anything like that so I'm not sure where that even came from except from some random assumption. People want a good motion controledl Star Wars game where you feel like the character and that's where people are upset. You say the combat looks good at times when you don't even see the woman on screen doing the moves at the same time when other videos have shown a very noticeable delay and dumbed down combat. So people can't be upset with what they see?

You see an overreaction on GAF when you said this is a kids game so why would there be a decent reaction on here when it's a more hardcore crowd that expects a game with decent combat? And for a kids game, they sure did use it a lot at conferences and other media geared towards adults with even a special edition 360 that I don't think is 100% for kids.

Sure, it can be a kids game but I know I expected decent games when I was ten and wasn't going to buy anything just for the name itself. So how are people not allowed to voice their opinions on this game? Just because it isn't what the game is trying to do apparently? Because if that's the case, then the game isn't trying to do much other than milk out a popular license.

My point is people have wanted a great Star Wars game with motion controls for a very long time and yet they can't be disappointed when they see this shit? It's the one game where people actually like the idea of motion controls yet they blow it.

No one was asking for what you posted with politics or planets, they just want a good combat game and that's why people are disappointed. So if you think that's unreasonable to want decent combat then there's nothing even left to criticize. And you can think the combat is good, but read this thread and see you're in the minority and it's not just this forum. So you can say everyone else is overreacting while you tell me you can't criticize a game for what is isn't (which means no criticism at all since it is what it is) and then assume what game I want when none of that was even mentioned.

And now you assume everyone thinks Kinect can't do shit just for not liking this game...Some may not like Kinect which is fine for them, but is this not about the game itself? How many assumptions can you come up with? And we do know how it responds based on plenty of videos of actual people playing it at a convention so I guess that's another assumption. You know you can criticize a game for Kinect but still like the idea of Kinect right? It's not one side or the other...For a game you care little about, you sure are quick to defend it with points about everything EXCEPT for the game itself.

And no, I didn't bash this game in any thread and didn't post until the last page so I'm not bashing it blindly, but everyone can have an opinion on the game but to jump to all sorts of conclusions after claiming others are doing the same is ironic.

what a piece of garbage. this is why i dont like the kinect - no game can hold my attention for more than a short time, and while ive played the more popular ones (dance central 1/2, kinectamals, disneyland adventures, kinect sports 1/2, your body/fitness whatever, fruit ninja, and so on), star wars kinect is definitely not selling me on it either. in fact, it looks like the worst one, and its just more of the same crap that they showed with that dude trying to mimic the video a while back - i think some people posted the gif in this thread. that was absolutely atrocious.

the problem with that video is that they actually dont even show her playing the game in real time - a (bad) sign of things to come. is this what we really have to look forward to from microsoft? fuck off, seriously. give us the "next-gen" stuff already and dont keep delaying it with this nonsense. i wasnt sold on the move and im sure as hell not (and probably never will be) sold on the kinect.

tldr - i dont like kinect, played popular games and still dont like it, star wars kinect video was terrible, im never getting kinect.

SWK.gif

Alx

Eh, like I said I don't want to spend time discussing the game itself, but just to make something clear :
And now you assume everyone thinks Kinect can't do shit just for not liking this game...

I was just reacting to the last two posts above mine :

It's not even about the content for me, the software essentially doesn't respond to the hardware.
You really think the game reacts the way they were showing it?

Both of those doubt that the software can track the required motions for the game, I'm not assuming anything.

Eh, like I said I don't want to spend time discussing the game itself, but just to make something clear :

Both of those doubt that the software can track the required motions for the game, I'm not assuming anything.

I'm not assuming anything, every piece of footage and every hands on with the game have said the same thing, the game does not respond properly to your movements. There could be a complete 180 and everything will control precisely when it releases, but I wouldn't hold my breathe, there are only 3 months to go.

demolitio

You've assumed no one has seen gameplay when it's all over youtube with the people being shown on the same screen as the game so you can see the delay and problems. Like I said, a game's problems doesn't equal Kinect's problems all the time. Kinect could be the best thing in the world and it still wouldn't matter if this game just isn't good.

It's not like people are judging this game off of one trailer without actually seeing it in action (even though you apparently haven't). There's plenty of videos to show that it has problems hence the reaction on here and everywhere else. You call it an overreaction and I call it a normal reaction to a letdown since people want a good motion control Star Wars game.

The Star Wars universe has the best potential for a good motion control game and that's why people are disappointed. A Jedi Knight game would be perfect for motion controls and there's plenty of other SW IP's that are just sitting there like Battlefront 3 which would be huge for them (no motion controls though). People can be disappointed with what it's not...and that's a decent a game.

Foffy

Banned
I am amazed that they're trying to hide so much of this game even now...

This is going to be such an unplayable mess.

Meier

Dammit! I can't believe I missed it. I love stuff like this...

*Is this it?
http://youtu.be/zoJQornSVQI

This trailer is awesome.

Poor Chris. Hope he got paid well.

It tis not. But this link works:
https://www.youtube.com/v/nZ4wypo3vUU

It wasn't as bad as I was expecting. I'm disappointed. But then again, I just watched Troll 2.

Sigh, will there ever be a female in game media who isn't so absolutely predictable looking?

Gomu Gomu

So let me get this:
MS releases an 8 minute video advertisement for a premier Kinect game. it gets a flood of dislikes, removes it and re-uploads it on another channel, hoping for a fresh start. Gets flooded again with dislikes, then removes it again. Only this time it's for good? Yeah, those "Kinect All Access" dudes are soooo fired.

It looked bad but nowhere near as bad as i was expecting. It's a shame as i think there is definitely a lot of potential for a game like this but this just looks like the usual crappy star wars game. Will we ever actually get a decent motion control star wars game?

Also the girl was pretty hot and was definitely the best part of the video.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
In what way?

It has no games which justify its existence. (I like the gun games, but there were already guns on PS3.)
Kinect has Dance Central, and, uh... Dance Central 2.

SpokkX

Kinect does barely work in anything imo. It is killed by input lag, low res camera and 30 fps capture. Dance central is the only thing that works since it is 100% sequential the lag can be compensated for

I wouldn't call this a game is they anyway to fail is they any point in what you doing any goals or anything that can been see as gameplay and not waving

-_- god and MS was selling this as they big core game for Kinect at E3

Rapstah

I wouldn't call this a game is they anyway to fail is they any point in what you doing any goals or anything that can been see as gameplay and not waving

-_- god the MS was selling this as they big core game for Kinect at E3

Not trying to insult you personally, but was this Google Translated from Japanese to English by any chance?

It has no games which justify its existence. (I like the gun games, but there were already guns on PS3.)
Kinect has Dance Central, and, uh... Dance Central 2.

A lot of people would disagree with you with Sports Champions, Infamous 2, The Fight and the shooting games (I really don't see why you wouldn't include them)

I admit it needs more support, but the hardware itself seems very good.

Dead Man

So let me get this:
MS releases an 8 minute video advertisement for a premier Kinect game. it gets a flood of dislikes, removes it and re-uploads it on another channel, hoping for a fresh start. Gets flooded again with dislikes, then removes it again. Only this time it's for good? Yeah, those "Kinect All Access" dudes are soooo fired.

Wait, this was an official release? I thought they were deleting it becuase it was a leak. Holy shit.

Feindflug

Hahaha, not surprised to see microsoft taking down that video. They should be ashamed of themselves.

Utter shite.

Yep, even for an on rails game it looks like a really shitty game...hopefully crap like this and Fable Journey will bomb hard.

At least there are still some promising titles coming for Kinect like Steel Battalion: HA, Project Draco and Ryse in 2012...hopefully these won't be in the utter shit category.

If you want to play Star Wars now get Star Wars The Old Republic and enjoy the fantastic setting. If you want single player then get Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. My 2nd choice would be Republic Commando. The RTS games might be fun, but I've never played them. If you want be nostalgic get the original rogue squadron with a flight stick. The good one on PC. Jedi Knight and all those games previously have lost something over time and it is hard to really play them anymore.

Predictions!
Predictions!
Predictions!

Will this be worse than Star Wars: Masters of Teras Kasi?
Will it sell a butt load of units, and spawn another young generation of Star Wars Fans?
Will the less young generation say about the game, it is shitty flailing your arms around and shits all over the awesome prequel trilogy which introduced us to the essence of slick choreographed lightsaber battles?
Will an even lesser young generation of zynics say, that they don't give a fuck anymore, because the prequel trilogy already shat all over Star Wars?
Will the least young generation buy this piece of shit to their childern, and turn them into Star Wars Fans who don't understand anything about Star Wars, creating and everlasting rift of resentment between parents and their childern?

Who knows?!

Top Bottom