• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Lair screens (really)

CrushDance said:
Its only just begun you watch. This games review is going to be a heart breaker or a heart warmer lol. It looks good but can it play good? I want to see this in motion argh.

It doesnt matter.
Bungie can sneak and release Halo 3 on the PS3 with the name Bob's Batallion identical in every way at the same time it launches on the 360 and you will have asshats trolling saying that it looks bad and it sucks as well as the usual "am confirmed" "amirite" "am doomed" and other jackassery.
Nowhere in the thread title or the main post did it mention the 360, or in any other posts and still walking mental flaws cant stay away and have to troll.

Dizzy

Banned
The water looks amazing.

One complaint I have though is that some things in there look a little too "dry".....if that makes any sense >_>

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
chespace said:
The art direction in LAIR certainly is very special. You couldn't achieve this level of consistency and quality across the board without a strong aesthetic vision.

This game has vision.

visionfx9.png

xabre said:
Well looks if it offends you people so much I take it back...the 360 can never pump out these sorts of visuals...happy now?

As I've said though, I'm less interested in what the game looks like and more interested in what you actually DO in it. So please enlighten me on this.
Sorry man. I didn't mean it that way, I'm just in a bad mood today lol. Yeah Xbox could do this and probably they would look identical.

jett

D-Member
Some stuff is pretty impressive. Hopefully it keeps on improving. I think the lighting is the biggest turn off right now, it has a fake-HDR look in that SotC-kind of way.
Also...they better ****ing show scenes with hundreds of dragons on screen at the same time, soon.

kevm3

This game really has me feening for a Final Fantasy 7 remake. Imagine an Ifrit or a Bahamut summon on par with this....

Treo360

JCBossman said:
The Ocean in some of the shots looks good, the dragons are OK, but is there a game here?

watch the video clip of some gameplay here I kinda wish I hadn't though. Looks a bit boring to me. Fireballs that continue on like rockets :(

CrushDance said:
@Karma: No not this bad though or maybe I just notice it more. The PS3 launch was short(not enough systems etc). And I'm still holding off on getting one, but every damn PS3 thread "is this coming to 360?, I'll only play it on 360, PS3 sucks compared to 360 version" Its mind numbing...seriously.

Yeah I understand your frustration... and I wasn't defending the xbox fanboys... just saying thats what fanboys do.

@Dizzy: Yeah I get what you mean, the water looks nice but some of the rocks(yeha I know it sounds stupid) look like hmm...fake? I guess. The dragons look good though I think, these shots are going to improve most likely so I think we can see the dragons start looking "full" the scales are what I want to see changed.

Hmmm, I really don't know what to think.

On one hand some of the dragon models are awesome, the draw distance is great, the water looks absolutely spectacular and there's so many thing going on at once.

On the other hand, the game looks soooooo brown, there's little variety, some dragons look a bit crap and textures (such as those on the rocks) need some work.

I spent a lot of today convincing myself that it would be stupid to buy a PS3 for VF5 [I already have a 360]. But after seeing those pics, DAMN.

Treo360 said:
watch the video clip of some gameplay here I kinda wish I hadn't though. Looks a bit boring to me. Fireballs that continue on like rockets :(
Missed that video XD. Those flames do look like missiles:lol they have to do it like how Pokemon did it :p kinda a liquid type stream instead of a straight line. But hey its the art directors choice, gotta wait a bit longer :/

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
JCBossman said:
The Ocean in some of the shots looks good, the dragons are OK, but is there a game here?

Yes. There was a HUGE preview video review of this game that's in one of the threads on GAF. A story and a complete game is there.

Treo360 said:
Umm what else would fireballs do? It looks like a flight combat game with dragons, I don't understand. What did you expect? A kung fu extravaganza?

AVclub

xabre said:
Nothing you couldn't do on a 360...now what exactly is the point of this game?
The SIXAXIS says, "Hello mister troll!"

Personally, I believe the point of this game is to delight, entertain and otherwise waste the time of people with expendible income. That's generally the point of every video game.

I think it looks like tremendous fun and is a game concept that really hasn't been done before. I also think that second shot looks like Gamera's head attached to a dragon body and that alone makes me want to play it.

JCBossman

Banned
I been seeing ALOT of PS3 games that seem to suffer from, "Graphics Whorism" Case's in point: Lair, Warhawk, Afrika, it's like they came up with some wizz-bang graphics FIRST then tried to make a game out of it.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
chespace said:
The art direction in LAIR certainly is very special. You couldn't achieve this level of consistency and quality across the board without a strong aesthetic vision.

This game has vision.

How's your cousin doing?

(I was just kidding Che, no need to reply)

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
xabre said:

Sigh. We really shouldn't go there.

I are a HUGE water whore and I approve of this water.

Some of the other stuff is kinda mixed, but the water is great.

mckmas8808

Alkaliine said:
On the other hand, the game looks soooooo brown, there's little variety, some dragons look a bit crap and textures (such as those on the rocks) need some work.

Dude there's snow and jungle areas in the game also. I think this is the ocean areas.

PROOP

FREAKING OUT MAN
If the final game looks this good, it will be the most beautiful game of all time at it's release.

PS3 killer app confirmed.

Stinkles said:
Some of the other stuff is kinda mixed, but the water is great.

as i was reading through the thread, i was wondering what was the best way to throw in my two cents. stinkles beat me to the punch though...

i'm assuming there's some crazy lighting and bump-mapping going on which will make the game look much better in motion. what's in these screenshots is not that impressive though. the textures look very low-res and washed out. i'd like to see some videos of the game in motion.

mckmas8808

29febsi.jpg

Guys you can't ****ing tell me this doesn't look very comparable to Gears of War. I mean to me it looks like it uses Unreal Engine 3.0 in this one very shot. (And yes I know it doesn't).

Raistlin

xabre said:

Oh boy. :/

There are a lot of things going on that you can't see in pics (need motion) that would make me question that.

This game is making extensive using CELL ... no previous game has come close to running this many algorithms on it.

-Native full HD 1080p graphics and 7.1 uncompressed audio

-Progressive Mesh is a technique rendered by the Cell microprocessor, which allows for an intensive amount of detail to be placed upon vast amount of objects, both up-close and far away.

-High-Dynamic Range Lighting: All of the lights, shadows, reflections, and highlights in Lair are in HDR, and are rendered in real-time by the Cell and RSX, thus allowing the lighting scheme to completely change, just like the time of day does in-game, however, due to the advanced programming of the lighting system, it will be ever-changing, and rarely, if ever the same twice.

-Real-time Dynamic Physics: Every second of gameplay, Lair renders hundreds of physics effects on everything from your dragon, down to the cloak on an enemy soldier. All enemies and allies have their own physics-driven animations, and have individually programmed ragdolls.

-Real-time Fluid Dynamics: All of the water effects in Lair, such as waves, are run by real-time fluid dynamics on the Cell.

-Parallax Shaders: Parallax shaders are used on almost every object in Lair, including fire and clouds.

-Real-Time Renderings/Volumetric Effects: The fire in Lair is rendered in real-time, and has its own physics. All of the clouds, smoke, and fog effects are volumetric. Lava, rain, wind, fur, and more are also rendered in real-time.

Speevy

Banned
muramura said:
If the final game looks this good, it will be the most beautiful game of all time at it's release.

PS3 killer app confirmed.

Well, that didn't save Rogue Leader and Rebel Strike from being among the Gamecube's most forgettable, mediocre games.

Let's hope it PLAYS well and just take the visuals as a given. This is Factor 5 afterall.

Dizzy

Banned
CrushDance said:
@Dizzy: Yeah I get what you mean, the water looks nice but some of the rocks(yeha I know it sounds stupid) look like hmm...fake? I guess. The dragons look good though I think, these shots are going to improve most likely so I think we can see the dragons start looking "full" the scales are what I want to see changed.
Yeah the rocks are a little..iffy, but mainly I was talking about this...
http://www.ultimagame.com/play_station_3/foto_f154247.jpg

and this
http://www.ultimagame.com/play_station_3/foto_f154251.jpg

The dragons skin looks a little "dry" and almost rock like. I guess that's how they normally look in movies though.

woah, didn't see this pic before. It's jaw-droping.
http://www.ultimagame.com/play_station_3/foto_f154250.jpg

jett

D-Member
mckmas8808 said:
29febsi.jpg

Guys you can't ****ing tell me this doesn't look very comparable to Gears of War. I mean to me it looks like it uses Unreal Engine 3.0 in this one very shot. (And yes I know it doesn't).

I can tell you that I'm tired of you reducing every ps3 screenshot you rehost just to make it look better than it really is. :p

Speevy

Banned
mckmas8808 said:
29febsi.jpg

You can't make such a comparison. The games are too different technically.

mckmas8808

jett said:
I can tell you that I'm tired of you reducing every ps3 screenshot you rehost just to make it look better than it really is. :p

Actually I do it to post it on another website because they have limitations of screenshot sizes, but nice trying to point me out.

And actually the screenshots look better in 720p due to me being able to see more things in detail.

JCBossman

Banned
Onix said:
Oh boy. :/

There are a lot of things going on that you can't see in pics (need motion) that would make me question that.

This game is making extensive using CELL ... no previous game has come close to running this many algorithms on it.

Great, a game that crunches alot of math problems, just what I want!
I do have an Idea for Afrika though, they should cosponser it with Calebra, and make a "Afrika- Dangerous Hunts" I wanna bag me some elephants, rhinos and lions just to name a few.

Top Bottom