• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New mainline Zelda and Final Fantasy both releases this year - Which game do you look forward to most?

New mainline Zelda and Final Fantasy this year - Which game do you look forward to most?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Drell

These are two franchises that I loved as a child in the mid to late 80s that I have no interest in their latest releases. I won't be buying either of these games.
Well I personally have interest in both but I can see how all the changes made to their respective core material can make you go away.

Teletraan1

Banned
Well I personally have interest in both but I can see how all the changes made to their respective core material can make you go away.
FF is the bigger offender to me. They changed genres. 12/16 of the main games were one genre but they kept making the turn based battle more and more simple with less control over what was going on, more automation etc and then they were left wondering why people were bored with that. It was a self fulfilling prophecy. The half assed janky action combat of 15 and VIIR was just as boring as their gutted turn based games. I will at least give them props for at least trying to do the action combat properly this time.

BotW was just underwhelming to me as I disliked the small dungeons and I have a list of gripes with the core gameplay loop of that game that I don't really feel any excitement for the next iteration that hasn't shown me anything that fixes my problems with BotW. It looks like more of the same things I didn't enjoy.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Zelda, by miles..

Final Fantasy ended permanently for me after I played FF XII. And I used to be a huge fan of the series.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

Final fantasy I guess eventho I never cared for the franchise. I just didnt like botw and totk will be more of the same.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Final fantasy is in danger of losing its fans and will be #2 to zelda.
See Ya Reaction GIF by WWE

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
After just beating BoTW the other day… it’s ToTK for me easy. I’ll suffer through sub 30fps for more of the cocaine.

Corian33

Neither. Was disappointed in the previous entry in each series, not in any hurry to pick up either one. Not that the previous games were terrible or anything, but they are off my “must buy” list.

Got a huge backlog anyway, no reason to buy games at full price. Except Diablo 4. I’m all in on that.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
FF is the bigger offender to me. They changed genres. 12/16 of the main games were one genre but they kept making the turn based battle more and more simple with less control over what was going on, more automation etc and then they were left wondering why people were bored with that. It was a self fulfilling prophecy. The half assed janky action combat of 15 and VIIR was just as boring as their gutted turn based games. I will at least give them props for at least trying to do the action combat properly this time.

BotW was just underwhelming to me as I disliked the small dungeons and I have a list of gripes with the core gameplay loop of that game that I don't really feel any excitement for the next iteration that hasn't shown me anything that fixes my problems with BotW. It looks like more of the same things I didn't enjoy.
The franchise has been a different genre longer than it was turn-based. At some point it is time to move on and stop complaining. Also "more nad more simple with less control?" You clearly never played the games as the games as, aside from 13, they kept adding more control to the player and choice.

Isn't people complaining about how FFXVI doesn't play like pervious games?
Yep. Also folks claiming we are oversaturated with FF and get one every year, despite the games differing so vastly the only thing connecting them is a few shared monsters and name. But what do you expect form console warriors?

-Zelda-

Banned
Final Fantasy because the plot story scenes will be in chronological order, the weapons wont break, and there will be actual dungeons. I will actually care about the characters also.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
FFVII Remake
Which plays nothing like XV or XVI nor even shares a similar aesthetic or setting. The only thing it shares is a few familiar monsters and names.

FFVII Remake Intergrade
A literal update to the previous game. A DLC. Try again, Mana.

Stranger in Paradise
Which plays nothing like XV, XVI, or VII Remake nor shares a similar aesthetic or setting. The only thing it shares is a few familiar monsters and names.

Crisis Core Remake
Which plays nothing any of the previous games, but shares resemblences to 7 because it is a bloody prequel. This is also a remaster of a game that released back in 2007.

Don’t give me that “mainline” BS when every game is standalone and not connected to the others.
Mainline is not "BS" anymore than you trying to use a DLC as an excuse to pad your own bullshit list. Then again, I am not surprised that you would do so given you have no room to stand on.

FFVII Remake
FFVII Remake Intergrade
Stranger in Paradise
Crisis Core Remake

Don’t give me that “mainline” BS when every game is standalone and not connected to the others.
So 3 FFVII titles and a FFI prequel? Yea okay buddy. The big hitter is the mainline.

Remake is the only one touching the production levels of this and was announced in 2015 and dropped in 2021. The mainlines are sacred bangers

Tears of the Kingdom will be a great game, technical performance aside - I have zero doubts.

I have no faith in Final Fantasy anymore.

Bond007

FF for me.
And while i do love Zelda- its a tad overrated in my eyes. Not every Zelda game resonates with me. I actually prefer the portable offerings- go figure.

Last edited:
Top Bottom