• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New mainline Zelda and Final Fantasy both releases this year - Which game do you look forward to most?

New mainline Zelda and Final Fantasy this year - Which game do you look forward to most?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GymWolf

As a long time JRPG/ Final Fantasy fan who’s tried and failed many times to get into Zelda, can someone tell me what the appeal is?

I feel like the character growth/customization is uninteresting compared to real RPGs. Same with the story. Combat is much simpler and blander than real action games/ARPGs. There’s no interesting loot to find, at best you might find a heart container or rupees (and there’s nothing really interesting to buy with those). Dungeons are mostly “get some new item then use it to solve a puzzle in exactly the way the devs wanted you to”.

Is it all just nostalgia delivered in a very polished and charming package?
You could try darksiders 1 and 2, they have way better combat and progression and loot and story.

If you don't like these 2 them the zelda genre is jist not for you, they both have remaster edition and are dirty cheap.

Stay the fuck away from botw if you don't like basic combat, shit loot, shit story etc.

Last edited:

Sentenza

Between the two Zelda and it's not even particularly close.
That aside, neither of the two is my most anticipated game this year.

That would be Baldur's Gate 3 and Armored Core 6.

ssringo

If there was new Nintendo hardware then maybe I would care about Zelda. Square has been on my shit list for a while now.

Neither really interest me.

K' Dash

On one hand we have the next game in a franchise that has not delivered an above mediocre game since 2001.

On the other hand we have the sequel to one of the best games ever made.

That’s a tough one.

Trogdor1123

If they fix the weapons breaking constantly on Zelda, I’m in.

Don’t really care about this final fantasy. Maybe once I see more but right now I don’t care at all

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
As a long time JRPG/ Final Fantasy fan who’s tried and failed many times to get into Zelda, can someone tell me what the appeal is?

I feel like the character growth/customization is uninteresting compared to real RPGs. Same with the story. Combat is much simpler and blander than real action games/ARPGs. There’s no interesting loot to find, at best you might find a heart container or rupees (and there’s nothing really interesting to buy with those). Dungeons are mostly “get some new item then use it to solve a puzzle in exactly the way the devs wanted you to”.

Reducing game mechanics to "it's just this and it's just that" is never a solid foundation for an argument.

What's the appeal of shooters? It's just pressing a button to kill things.

Last edited:

tmlDan

I think going in to Zelda thinking it’s an RPG is a mistake. It’s a puzzle/adventure game. If you don’t enjoy puzzle games you likely won’t enjoy Zelda.

The biggest complaint about BotW was a lack of more complex dungeons (i.e. people wanting even more puzzles).
No, the biggest complaint is every weapon breaks in 6 hits.

My first and second favorite franchise, so it's a great time for me. If I had to pick, it would be Zelda -- Zelda is coming off maybe it's best installment ever while FF has a lot to prove after two decades of middling to bad single player games, with the previous mainline game being the worst yet (XV). But the team working on this one gives me hope -- I just hope there's some Final Fantasy in there and it's not just a wild explosive action game like it's been made to look like so far. I'm also just more engaged with Switch gaming in general and generally pessimistic about AAA on the big boys.

But yeah, both are day zero purchases for me either way.

Gaiff

I’m not trying to make a foundation for an argument I’m trying to explain my experience with the series. No need to get all defensive.
Then why do you frame your comment as if Zelda was an RPG? "I feel like character growth/customization is uninteresting compared to real RPGs". Zelda isn't a real RPG, in fact, it's no RPG at all so of course if you get into the game thinking you're getting an RPG, you'll be disappointed.

Zelda is closer to something like God of War or as mentioned above, Darksiders. It's an adventure game with bits of action to break the monotony and spice up the pace. While it doesn't do combat as well as God of War or Darksiders, it significantly trumps them in level design and navigation.

BOTW for example has so much stuff you can do with the environment and you can get very creative with the tools you're given, something you cannot do in RPGs because well, that's not what they're going for. The physics engine is probably the best among AAA games. There are more interactions and the sandboxy nature makes it possible to do tons of experimenting and the emergent gameplay is almost unrivaled (except obviously games like Minecraft are far better at that). Enemies behavior/strategies change based on weather conditions, terrain, and other stuff.

Maybe none of these appeal to you and that's fine but saying Zelda doesn't do things that RPGs tend to do well doesn't make much sense since it's not an RPG.

Gaiff

Not even the biggest problem. The biggest problem is that weapons that break don't auto swap to the next one available. This slows down the pace of combat because you gotta fucking pause every time to switch shields/weapons/bows. I have no idea how the veteran designers at Nintendo didn't spot this glaring flaw.

Robb

Gold Member
Maybe, but I feel like that’s the biggest complaint from non-Zelda fans. I imagine most long time Zelda fans would take “real” thematic dungeons with unique bosses over removed weapon durability any day of the week.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Zelda. It's out a month earlier and FF has not really been as good since IX and I have played all the mainline ones. Still day 1 for both.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I'm more excited for Final Fantasy XVI (these Eikon battles look amazing!), but Zelda will be an excellent game, too.

Can't go wrong with either.

kunonabi

Neither. I need to see BotW's problems addressed before I give it a chance. FFXVI is another shitty Square action game so I'm not going to bother with that either.

Alebrije

Zelda because keeps its roots of gameplay and style...got tired of FF being a chameleon that changes gameplay / battle system often.

Lethal01

First of all it's indeed and extremely polished and charming package, Zelda simply consistently has some of my favourite artstyles and Breath of the wild is probably my favourite general look in gaming period.

The combat is super basic, but also just feels good, not about customization at all really, however it does have better puzzles and dungeons than 99% of games like it which is surprising cause it seems so basic to me. but I'd absolutely kill for dungeons in square games to be less straight lines with one or two side rooms that are all just nothing but pretty places filled with the usual monsters.

For breath of the wild and tears of the kingdom specifically..
The appeal there for me has a lot to the with the chemistry/physics system and this general philosophy.
r4e76od0vqia1.png

gives the entire world a tangible feeling that actually makes me wanna explore every nook and cranny and see every object I pic up as an actual object I can use as part of the game instead of just an icon with a value I can sell it for. That's further enhanced by the basic mini puzzle everywhere so the world isn't a totally meaningless place where all you do is fight things.

Slap onto that the most charming art and dialogue out there.
Makes it easily the best open world for me, and I play A LOT of em.

Lethal01

This is really an absolute non issue, Enemies are usually surround by more than enough to kill them with and always finish with more weapons and items than you started with.
Not even the biggest problem. The biggest problem is that weapons that break don't auto swap to the next one available. This slows down the pace of combat because you gotta fucking pause every time to switch shields/weapons/bows. I have no idea how the veteran designers at Nintendo didn't spot this glaring flaw.
Now this I totally and BoTW has tons of small things like this I want changed.

MiguelItUp

Honestly, probably Final Fantasy. I've loved Zelda more than FF my entire life, however Breath of the Wild didn't really grasp me like others did. A lot of the effects and mechanics were neat for the first few hours, but then I just felt pretty meh about it and noticed a bunch of things I actually didn't like about it. It was a shame.

The new FF is doing a bunch of different stuff for the FF series, and I dunno, the quality of the game just looks SO much higher than the next Zelda game. At least IMO.

Elios83

Final Fantasy.
I bought a Switch for Zelda (and Mario) but I didn't like the direction they went with, I thought the stamina system was just frustrating and the weapons breaking was just a poor design decision.
As such if the next Zelda is more of the same as it seems it won't even be for me.
About Final Fantasy I'm intrigued with the medieval mature take they took on it and the dev team did wonders with FFXIV.

I’m more hyped for FFXVI than anything else this year, even Spider-Man 2

Zelda im sure I’ll enjoy (BOTW was my GOTG) but im not looking forward to playing it on the switch hardware

Airbus Jr

Banned
Hard to decide

Most zelda game are stellar and goty winner

Final Fantasy game are hit n miss sometimes its good sometimes it bad

Based on that record i should vote for zelda tears of kingdom but this new final fantasy game look promising so id go with that

Last edited:
By default, TotK.

As someone who doesn’t own a PS5 or high-end PC, with no plans to get one anytime soon. And combine that with a little bit of wait-and-see due to the new direction of the game, we’ll see how FF XVI turns out. The combat system doesn’t seem super interesting to me, but, I’ll see how it reviews. If it ever comes to Series X, may pick it up one day.

Or maybe a PS5 slim some day.

Last edited:

RCU005

I love Zelda. I buy Nintendo consoles specifically to play Zelda games, but this time, I am more hyped for Final Fantasy XVI.

Right now I can only buy one game at a time, and I’ve been thinking about this for some time. But the gameplay that was released for FFXVI sealed the deal form me to choose it over Zelda. I guess I’ll play Zelda before the end of the year.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I have never been much into Nintendo's franchises like Mario/Zelda, so FF Is an easy pick for me.

Filben

As someone who's not into JRPGs and the last Final Fantasy I've enjoyed was VI so this is not even a question.

NahaNago

Neither right now for me. I've yet to actually play breath of the wild and I don't find this new final fantasy interesting at all outside of it having the ff name.

I need to watch the new previews of ff16.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
If I have to choose I would go with FFXVI but Thankfully I don’t have to choose, I will be getting both day one.

Same ol G

Zelda ofcourse, how much i like FF they fucked up from 10 onwards with 15 as cherry on top.
FF7 remake, let us just change the whole fucking storyline instead of just remaking the classic.
I just have no trust in SE

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Probably roughly equal, because Zelda hasn't shown anything that great at this point. Hoping they still have some surprises in store. Sequel looks very samey so far. FF looks neat, but they haven't really blown me away fully for over 10 years.

If it was a totally new Zelda, that would be far in front for me. Both are some of my favorite series though.

Top Bottom