• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Majora's Mask 3DS vs N64 side by side graphics comparison

Rich!

Good call.

On a side note, how do you have an iPhone and yet have THAT TV?

Just for old school games?

Having a CRT is the way to play retro games. Nothing else compares. This is mine:

jfvEjWl0Kexvj.PNG

jeXtee9mwSBJX.jpg

I actually have two:

jr6rONQIscDIZ.jpg

Xun

Grezzo appear to have done a good job, much like they did with Ocarina 3D.

I actually think the models would hold up well if they were to port the games to console.

Speaking of Grezzo, I'd be intrigued to see them work on their own adventure game at some point.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Speaking of Grezzo, I'd be intrigued to see them work on their own adventure game at some point.

Interesting thought process...

Because they're good at overhauling the graphics? (Not downplaying that I'm a graphics=gameplay guy).

I mean, they didn't make the gameplay in NM. Whose to say they would be good at them? Maybe they are good at FPS games?

(Dunno of any of their work aside from OoT)

Onaco

I think the blue fog makes sense. If Termina and Hyrule operate parallel to each other, so should time. So that means that this is 5AM. By 6, he should be in Termina where the sun has risen. That means the blue light is actually just the sun starting to rise.

Oregano

Interesting thought process...

Because they're good at overhauling the graphics? (Not downplaying that I'm a graphics=gameplay guy).

I mean, they didn't make the gameplay in NM. Whose to say they would be good at them? Maybe they are good at FPS games?

(Dunno of any of their work aside from OoT)

The creator the Mana series works at Grezzo. They could easily manage an original project.

Their only other original stuff is Line Attack Heroes(never got released outside Japan) and the Flower game in the Streetpass Plaza.

Mistle

Man, most of the game looks much better, but some changes make me a bit sad. The new versions here really seem to be missing the point of the atmosphere:

BFwym2p.png

Redrop

Man, most of the game looks much better, but some changes make me a bit sad. The new versions here really seem to be missing the point of the atmosphere:

BFwym2p.png

Wait, is the purple sky shot from the second day too? Because if so, that's ridiculously silly. The sky didn't start to become super surreal until the final day, with the hints of that rosey sunset sky that feels like it's on the verge of chaos. The second day was a rainy day.

Mistle

Yeah, exactly right. MM is masterfully subtle whereas the remake sort of feels like it's slapping you across the face with "ooooo creeeepy atmosphere..!". But only in some instances... they've done a LOT right, so I can't blame them too much. The mood of the days is a big one though, which is disappointing.

I also miss the stars.

Lynd7

Yeah I've always liked and been impressed with the ambient tone of the environment. The early morning daylight, the rain on day 2 etc.

The clouds and rain on day 2 looked and felt fairly realistic, it captured that dreary rainy day.

zeldarocks

Neo Member
Hey guys, I thought it would be useful to GAF for there to be a centralized playlist with all of the MM3D footage so far.

Well:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLgxDoYgmcsLNoYkhfIIYpaabHd2nHAgr9

Enjoy.

EDIT1:

With regards to the changes in atmosphere, some of the game-play videos have shown the second day looking just as it did in the original, no weird purple sky to speak off.

The purple sky appears to be present at dawn, with the colors becoming less ominous as the day progresses.

I'm thinking that the uploader may have been at least slightly disingenuous with his comparisons.

On the North American trailer, the purple sky is present at 0:37 seconds. As Deku Link exits the clocktower after having played the song of time; clearly at dawn.

EDIT2: Prof. Bathtub is saying the same thing.

People seem to be focusing on the other graphical details. They are not fog. Fog, when used effectively adds lots of atmosphere.

Here is Link riding in deep fog. Now we have link riding away from some sort of night club while not being in fog at all.

capture37s34.png

Here is Link standing in a foggy and ominous deep forest. Now here is Link standing in the edge of a open forest while his horse inspects the nicer grass on the ground.

fog2kwkrn.png

People claiming they prefer the new version just don't seem to understand fog.
I don't know fog, but I know what I like, and that's the 3DS version. It looks great, like something out of the Fellowship of the Ring.

The stars don't seem to be visible, but the purple sky is limited to mornings. The rest of day looks to be normal as always.

In all, Grezzo has done a wonderful job with set dressing, and the biggest complaint with OoT3D, the water, is much more faithful to the original coloring. Swamp Road in particular looks very good.

Of course, it's rare that a graphical update will satisfy each and every aspect that players liked in the first game. Luckily, Majora's Mask still exists for the N64.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
This is why they shouldn't remake games that were already perfect to begin with.

There are always going to be things people aren't happy with. Such is the nature of change. For the most part, they've been very respectful of the original and added to the experience. I for one am glad not to be playing a game with a FPS in the mid-teens anymore.

zeldarocks

Neo Member
You can most definitely tell that this has been a passion project for Grezzo/Aounuma.

The fact that they've taken to small details such as the bank being embedded in the Clock Tower (because time doesn't pass in there, thus your rupees are safe) is indicative of the care that has been poured onto this project.

Not to mention that MM3D *has* been in development for 3.5 years, almost twice as long as the original, and slightly longer than OoT3D.

Anth0ny

Yeah, exactly right. MM is masterfully subtle whereas the remake sort of feels like it's slapping you across the face with "ooooo creeeepy atmosphere..!". But only in some instances... they've done a LOT right, so I can't blame them too much. The mood of the days is a big one though, which is disappointing.

I also miss the stars.

this was always my main fear regarding a MM remake. maybe it was accidental, maybe it was a result of weak hardware, but the atmosphere in that N64 game was absolute perfection.

Still looking forward to this remake, as I do like some of the changes they've made, but eh... I don't see the 3DS becoming the version I replay every year.

Why are so many people surprised about the quality of the remade textures and models?

Did nobody play Ocarina of Time 3DS?

You can most definitely tell that this has been a passion project for Grezzo/Aounuma.

The fact that they've taken to small details such as the bank being embedded in the Clock Tower (because time doesn't pass in there, thus your rupees are safe) is indicative of the care that has been poured onto this project.

Not to mention that MM3D *has* been in development for 3.5 years, almost twice as long as the original, and slightly longer than OoT3D.
Source on this remake being in development for 3.5 years? The original was made in a year, albeit both this and the original use models and textures from Ocarina of Time.

Rich!

Source on this remake being in development for 3.5 years? The original was made in a year, albeit both this and the original use models and textures from Ocarina of Time.

It was stated in an interview with the devs. they started development immediately after finishing OOT3D

sfried

Why are so many people surprised about the quality of the remade textures and models?

Did nobody play Ocarina of Time 3DS?

In an interview, Aonuma commented that development for Majora's Mask 3D started right after Ocarina of Time 3D was completed.

jaosobno

I'm suddenly hyped over a remake :/

Don't worry, you are not the only one. N3DS is my first 3DS and I originally planned to order Link Between Worlds with it. GAF hyped MM, so I went with that instead.

I should also mention that I've mostly been PC/Sony console gamer my entire life, and I missed quite a lot of legendary Nintendo games, so I'm very happy with these remasters. I plan to play OoT afterwards, and I'm also hoping for Twilight Princess/Skyward Sword remasters in 2015/2016. (if N3DS can run Wii games, I don't see why it couldn't run GC games).

Rootbeer

Banned
The game looks SOOOO much better on 3DS... it really is like night and day when looking at it side-by-side.

This is going to be awesome!

Nintendo... why can't we have a Super Mario Sunshine port to New 3DS? :3

Kinokou

People seem to be focusing on the other graphical details. They are not fog. Fog, when used effectively adds lots of atmosphere.

Here is Link riding in deep fog. Now we have link riding away from some sort of night club while not being in fog at all.

capture37s34.png

Here is Link standing in a foggy and ominous deep forest. Now here is Link standing in the edge of a open forest while his horse inspects the nicer grass on the ground.

fog2kwkrn.png

People claiming they prefer the new version just don't seem to understand fog.

I agree, the first version is what foggy weather actually looks like and has kind of (to me) "the axe murderer will come and get you" atmophere, while the remake has a much more fantasy atmosphere of "the cool protagonist looking epic on his way through the forest".

Both are good, but seeing them side to side I prefer the old version of this sequence.

f@luS

More than a member.
Never played This ONE. I dont like 3ds How Much would i lose to buy system and game then sell after ?

Tookay

I know I've said this before, but I'm fairly confident the bank stuff has nothing to do with the lore. It's just so it could be closer to the save station, which itself was moved so it wouldn't be tucked on the side of the Clock but in a prime location in the back.

Nintendo only changes shit if they think it would improve gameplay. They don't care much about plot integrity at the end of the day.

RagnarokX

I agree, the first version is what foggy weather actually looks like and has kind of (to me) "the axe murderer will come and get you" atmophere, while the remake has a much more fantasy atmosphere of "the cool protagonist looking epic on his way through the forest".

Both are good, but seeing them side to side I prefer the old version of this sequence.

Both are examples of foggy weather. The new version is just less foggy and the sky beyond the fog isn't overcast, so the bright blue sky filters through the trees and fog. The new version is more realistic since the old version was making the foreground trees unrealistically brighter. The scene doesn't need as much fog because they completely remodeled the forest and don't need to hide the flat wall of trees in the background.

3s0I4tA.jpg

Never played This ONE. I dont like 3ds How Much would i lose to buy system and game then sell after ?

Have you looked into the 3DS library? It has a fairly robust library. If your set on only this game you can probably find aused 3DS for a good price. I'd suggest checking Craigslist, Pawn Shops, Gaf's B/S/T thread, andNintendo's Online store for a refurbished unit.

Lynd7

Both are examples of foggy weather. The new version is just less foggy and the sky beyond the fog isn't overcast, so the bright blue sky filters through the trees and fog. The new version is more realistic since the old version was making the foreground trees unrealistically brighter. The scene doesn't need as much fog because they completely remodeled the forest and don't need to hide the flat wall of trees in the background.

Yeah the more I see the new one the more I kinda prefer it. Should be interesting to finally see it on the 3DS screen.

Also, like I pointed out, it seems like the new version brings it in line with the first playable area.

Most of these changes seem for the better to me. The revamped textures looks really nice, and even a good step above the OoT3D's. The lighting and toning tweaks work rather well, and I can assume their increased saturation make even more sense on a handheld. The only thing I'm a bit iffy on is the new face of the moon. It looks a bit goofy when facing directly at us, though I wonder if that's in part due to me being so used to the constipated look of the old one. Glad they are taking their time with this one either way, as the results seem to work for me. I was mostly excited to finally play this game in a nicer framerate, so all of these other changes are the cherry ontop.

What I just can't understand: Why didn't they improved the shadows? They still look exactly like the N64 ones. Nice dynamic shadows like in Luigis Mansion would definately add atmosphere.

I think the complains about Windwaker HD had a lot more legitimacy. Most of the issues mentioned here against Majora's Mask HD are personal preferences. I find the game to be a vast improvement over the original in every single aspect.

nkarafo

BFwym2p.png
Man, they totally ruined the atmosphere here.

Also, the moon's face looks more humorous than sinister/creepy. The whole scene in the new one looks like its from a ghostbusters cartoon episode. Sure, they did a lot of things right with the remake but these things they do wrong are somewhat important in Majora's Mask.

JNT

Looks nice. I've been wanting to play this game since forever.

Newbie question, will this be playable on the old 3DS?

Looks nice. I've been wanting to play this game since forever.

Newbie question, will this be playable on the old 3DS?

Yep. Xenoblade is the only exclusive n3DS game we know of so far. Anything else is just enhancements like the cstick here or the textures on the new monhun game

Tom_Cody

I am currently playing through Ocarina of Time 3D and I am continually pleased with how good that game looks. Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask were both extraordinarily ambitious for their day. The the graphical improvements, they are some of the most impressive games on the 3DS.

Top Bottom