• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New MH3G Screenshots

Pyrokai said:
Port-begging already? Jesus.....

This thread is ridiculous. Yeah, it looks like "crap" alright *super dramatic eyeroll*

ok then. Tell me what is compelling about this:

cUjv4.jpg

The UI that takes up a third of a screen and is composed of ten different aspects? The complete lack of compelling textures? The one crappy enemy on screen? The terrible texture work? Seriously, from that screenshot what makes this anything more than a third rate effort for a second rate publisher? What makes THIS compel you to want to spend $40?

wsippel

Banned
outunderthestars said:

cUjv4.jpg

The UI that takes up a third of a screen and is composed of ten different aspects? The complete lack of compelling textures? The one crappy enemy on screen? The terrible texture work? Seriously, from that screenshot what makes this anything more than a third rate effort for a second rate publisher?
Have you ever played Monster Hunter? I think not.

By the way, the HUD is customizable, as was explained several times in this very thread. You're free to move as much of it as you wish to the bottom screen.

BurntPork

Banned
outunderthestars said:
Looks like a typical bad Japanese game. Clunky, dated, low res, and with a horrible UI.

it looks like a bad Dreamcast launch game. I know GAF get a J-boner for this kind of crap, but I really don't see the appeal.

If there was made by a western developer everyone would shit all over it, but since it comes from Japan it suddenly gets a pass.

because it accurately reflects the shittiness of the final product?
And that does it for this thread.

Is every good third-party game for 3DS going to result in Vita port begging? God. I really fear what may happen if Nintendo is aggressive with Wii U and secures exclusives...

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
The UI is practical, which a skill based game like MonHun needs, with the emphasis on giving you the important information all the time (as opposed to just flashing when you get hit because when you're not it doesn't matter due to auto health regen like in other games or whatever the hell you play) and keeping it fully visible (hence the primary colors). Even so, it can all be moved to the bottom screen as has been said multiple times already. And what could have been more compelling about a screenshot of someone mining ore (no, he's not attacking an enemy, lol) from a random rock in a non descript tiny underwater part (and hence with lowered visibility/blurryness added) visible on the screen? It's not like every walking moment in Monster Hunter (or any game) has a badass monster, an epic attack pose, and a wondrous background to drool over. Especially when the dude isn't even going for a hunt in this case. How about at least watching a trailer before you spew ignorant trolling bullshit?

As for the graphics, it's Tri G. That is, an expandalone to Tri. It looks like Tri, one of the prettiest games on Wii. Some toned down (mainly the textures, weirdly, considering 3DS has more ram than Wii) some improved (proper shadows) and in 3D. That you handpick some not so great screens to whine over doesn't make the game, or even the series, which has always had great artistic qualities, fantastic animation, and incredibly satisfying, simple yet deep and challenging gameplay that isn't for ignorant fools, ugly or bad. And lol @ the Japanese developer hate on the visuals, especially Capcom which has made some of the most beautiful games of the generation, with titles like RE5 easily outclassing PC titles that require much beefier PCs, especially in terms of polish and making sure almost every element is on par, more or less the opposite of Western developers' diamonds in the very, very, very rough, as the most renowned examples, Crytek's games, so gloriously demonstrate to all.

tapedeck said:
Just put this fucking game on Vita already.

Hmm, I thought this was banned? Get rid of this nonsense.

Game looks great. Capcom's handheld team is seriously incredible. They really have a good portable engine. The art in MH Tri is incredible as I just found out not too long ago. Looking forward to this eventually coming to NA...

GaussTek

So, people is angry because this isn't for Vita... alright.

HVXZm.gif

IMO, the game looks great, even with those blurry JPEG screens.

BurntPork

Banned
outunderthestars said:

cUjv4.jpg

The UI that takes up a third of a screen and is composed of ten different aspects? The complete lack of compelling textures? The one crappy enemy on screen? The terrible texture work? Seriously, from that screenshot what makes this anything more than a third rate effort for a second rate publisher? What makes THIS compel you to want to spend $40?
You said the same thing twice.

Peru

Wow @ people not knowing the series and never having played it saying it's crap based on what they think the UI is and 'one enemy on screen' (when the player is mining). Genuinely didn't think the level of discussion here would sink this low.

Alextended said:
Eh, not in my experience in any way ever with either main control scheme.

I mean, I often happened to try and dodge a blow rolling on the right resulting to end up on the left side instead, and it was a little annoying at times, since you're fighting for your life.

Also, you cannot control your character with as much precision as you do playing Mario galaxy, sometimes I mean to talk to somebody and I have to try several times, when there's someone else in the proximities.

I am under the impression that Monster hunter Tri controls are far from being perfect, I don't mean to complain since it is one of the best games I have been playing in the recent years, but still I would like this to be fixed in the upcoming iterations.

Ah, maybe I need to mention I play it using the Classic controller Pro bundled with the game.

Poyunch

outunderthestars said:

cUjv4.jpg

There is no enemy on screen? :O

UI looks like typical MonHun. I see nothing wrong.

edit: Is he talking about the ore? What the hell is that supposed to be? What kind of monster could you possibly interpret that thing to be?

Josh7289

outunderthestars said:
Looks like a typical bad Japanese game. Clunky, dated, low res, and with a horrible UI.

it looks like a bad Dreamcast launch game. I know GAF get a J-boner for this kind of crap, but I really don't see the appeal.

If there was made by a western developer everyone would shit all over it, but since it comes from Japan it suddenly gets a pass.

Whoa, you're so blinded by your own (wrong, irrational) hate that you don't even see that most of the rest of us don't think the graphics look like they're pushing the system either. Good job.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
outunderthestars said:
Apparently the final product consists of stills choke-full of compression artifacts. Gotcha.

outunderthestars said:

cUjv4.jpg

What compels you to compel about a compel that you obviously haven't compelled?

The hell, everyone was all excited and thought it looked awesome during the reveal.

Different people in this thread, it seems.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Gianni Merryman said:
I mean, I often happened to try and dodge a blow rolling on the right resulting to end up on the left side instead, and it was a little annoying at times, since you're fighting for your life.

Also, you cannot control your character with as much precision as you do playing Mario galaxy, sometimes I mean to talk to somebody and I have to try several times, when there's someone else in the proximities.

I am under the impression that Monster hunter Tri controls are far from being perfect, I don't mean to complain since it is one of the best games I have been playing in the recent years, but still I would like this to be fixed in the upcoming iterations.

Ah, maybe I need to mention I play it using the Classic controller Pro bundled with the game.
Sounds like you don't know how all the controls work exactly. I never have such issues in any MonHun. For talking to people you can use the d-pad when you're nearby more than one to highlight a different "target". Although if you analog walk instead of run you can turn tighter and more precisely. That your character feels heavy, turns slower when running and even slower when sprinting, abruptly halts and slowly starts running in another direction if you try to turn too sharply instead of ease into it, and generally feels like carrying and using the heavy weapons required to down such beasts, is part of the gameplay's charm, not a flaw.

BurntPork said:
And that does it for this thread.

Is every good third-party game for 3DS going to result in Vita port begging? God. I really fear what may happen if Nintendo is aggressive with Wii U and secures exclusives...

That is a GOOD third party game? Fuck. Portables truly are doomed.

Peru said:
Wow @ people not knowing the series and never having played it saying it's crap based on what they think the UI is and 'one enemy on screen' (when the player is mining). Genuinely didn't think the level of discussion here would sink this low.

Sorry, it is hard to tell what the blurred low res texture is supposed to be......

Peru said:
Why do you talk about the quality of something you've never played? What is going on inside your head, what processes?

That logic would apply to everyone talking about any game not released. So by your logic people can say a game looks good without playing it but I can't say it looks bad without having played it as well?

I've never eaten dog shit but I can pretty much tell you that I probably wouldn't enjoy it.

Peru

outunderthestars said:
That is a GOOD third party game? Fuck. Portables truly are doomed.

Why do you talk about the quality of something you've never played? What is going on inside your head, what processes?

Boogybro

outunderthestars said:
That is a GOOD third party game? Fuck. Portables truly are

Have you played Monster Hunter before?

Also, what constitutes a good game in your eyes? I'd like to hear what you have in mind.

Edit: ^ Oh wait. I'm being trolled. ):

Kyon

Banned
UncleSporky said:
The hell, everyone was all excited and thought it looked awesome during the reveal.

Different people in this thread, it seems.
sadly about 75-80% of the ppl posting in the other threads never played or cared about MH, they just came in for the console war bs part because it was coming to Wii/3DS, otherwise you don't see any of them after the reveal blitz is over or when the Official threads are posted :(

Alextended said:
Sounds like you don't know how all the controls work. I never have such issues. For talking to people you can use the d-pad when you're nearby more than one to highlight a different "target".

Maybe ti's just me not being good at playing, but I don't find the controls very responsive and precise inj comparison to those in a Mario or Zelda game.

That your character feels heavy, turns slower when sprinting, and generally feels like he carries and uses the heavy weapons required to down such beasts is part of the gameplay's charm, not a flaw.

I know what you mean and I completely agree with you; running for your life when your stamina is low being and you can barely limp being chased by an enraged Barroth, as an instance, or crafting your own weapons, is what makes the game so fun and compelling altogether.

wsippel

Banned
outunderthestars said:
Sorry, it is hard to tell what the blurred low res texture is supposed to be......
I'll help you: Not a single screenshot in the OP shows an enemy. If there was one, I guarantee you wouldn't mistake it for a rock.

Boogybro said:
Have you played Monster Hunter before?

Also, what constitutes a good game in your eyes? I'd like to hear what you have in mind.

Edit: ^ Oh wait. I'm being trolled. ):

No, I'm not trolling. I just don't think this kind of game works well on the smaller screen and limited horsepower that the 3DS has.

I would say one should look at Super Mario 3D Land as a good example. Limited textures, smaller HUD, and gameplay that lends itself to the controls at hand. I thought Monster Hunter was a poor series on the PSP and I still think it is a poor series on the DS.

Wazzim

Banned
walking fiend said:
I was watching also the videos, doesn't the game in general look somewhat soft? like as if it has a blur filter or something?
That's because it has just like on the Wii. I'd like it alot more without blur.

Peru

outunderthestars said:
No, I'm not trolling. I just don't think this kind of game works well on the smaller screen and limited horsepower that the 3DS has.

I would say one should look at Super Mario 3D Land as a good example. Limited textures, smaller HUD, and gameplay that lends itself to the controls at hand. I thought Monster Hunter was a poor series on the PSP and I still think it is a poor series on the DS.

Don't try to pretend that you've played a Monster Hunter game before, you have no basis to say that it's a poor series neither here nor there.

PounchEnvy said:
There is no enemy on screen? :O

UI looks like typical MonHun. I see nothing wrong.

edit: Is he talking about the ore? What the hell is that supposed to be? What kind of monster could you possibly interpret that thing to be?

Must be some compelling J-monster we get compelling J-boners for.

Poyunch

outunderthestars said:

You know enough to understand the dangers of a monstrous protruding rock.

Please enlighten me, is this the same game as on the wii? Just started it, but might bail out if a portable option is available.

wsippel

Banned
outunderthestars said:
And what exactly would you do with this game you never played and obviously don't even understand on a system with more horsepower?

Poyunch

Supervlieg said:
Please enlighten me, is this the same game as on the wii? Just started it, but might bail out if a portable option is available.
Sort of an expansion with new content and redone mechanics. I wouldn't hold out just yet since online still doesn't seem to be mentioned at all and playing by yourself, while fun, is not as fun as a a session of great teamwork.

Cipherr

outunderthestars said:
I thought Monster Hunter was a poor series on the PSP and I still think it is a poor series on the DS.

Be sure to click on every thread named about a game you have zero interest in and post a few comments that add fuck all to the discussion, because you haven't ever played anything in the series and admittedly have no intentions to. Please do, it makes GAF a better place.

wsippel said:
And what exactly would you do with this game you never played and obviously don't even understand on a system with more horsepower?

Make the resolution and textures not look like blurry ass?

I really didn't want to thread derail, so I'm going to stop posting out of respect for those who are excited about the game. I apologize for the derailment. :)

PouchEnvy said:
Sort of an expansion with new content and redone mechanics. I wouldn't hold out just yet since online still doesn't seem to be mentioned at all and playing by yourself, while fun, is not as fun as a a session of great teamwork.

K thx. Will keep playing at a leisurly pace

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Cipherr said:
Be sure to click on every thread named about a game you have zero interest in and post a few comments that add fuck all to the discussion, because you haven't ever played anything in the series and admittedly have no intentions to. Please do, it makes GAF a better place.
He's clearly compelled to.

Wazzim

Banned
outunderthestars said:

I'd say: Go to the bathroom and wash your dirty mouth before G-rank Kirin gets you. This is blasmephy.

Boogybro

outunderthestars said:

Ah, I see. So not trolling, just subtle console-switch begging.

How does the game not work on a "limited" 3DS when Monster Hunter made a name for itself on a lesser system?

Poyunch

Boogybro said:

How does the game not work on a "limited" 3DS when Monster Hunter made a name for itself on a lesser system?
Because it's from Japan.

Gianni Merryman said:
Maybe ti's just me not being good at playing, but I don't find the controls very responsive and precise inj comparison to those in a Mario or Zelda game.
The only time I feel controls are sluggish in Tri is using the ballistas in the Jhen fight. Aiming the ballistas annoy the hell out of me since the movement is so jerky.

Boogybro said:

This is like when at least one person accused MHTri of being "stripped down" to work on the Wii's capabilities.

Top Bottom