• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Ninja Gaiden (sigma) screenshots (Nice!)

kevm3

If these are from the TGS trailer, then I can't wait to see how it's looking now. I believe I read in an interview somewhere that it looks noticeably better...

XSamu

Banned
Tieno said:
There'll just be a ninja dog mode, like in black.
No not only that. He clearly stated that for example 'normal' in Black will be more difficult than 'normal' in Sigma. That's because too many gamers are complete weaksauce :(

0075.jpg

Dscf0905copy.jpg

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
mr_nothin said:
I love the texture work around the hand area and that weapon
It looks CG Quality

Tell me : would you buy the game for that ? I mean, yeah, it's technically impressive, but that's not the thing I will be noticing while slashing countless ninjas and demons, and neither will you, right ? I hope I'm wrong to imply that this kind of details alone would make you buy the game.

As a whole, I really can't see much difference between Sigma and the Xbox versions. I can understand that someone who didn't own an XBox is excited though.. I don't know if that says a lot about the capabilities of the XBox or the laziness of Team Ninja (or both).

Anyway, Black was essentially NG+, so that makes NG Sigma NG++... Hooray, that's interesting. Also, plastic figures am confirmed on some pics (the one with the blue female demon).

Borys

Banned
Kilrogg said:
Tell me : would you buy the game for that ? I mean, yeah, it's technically impressive, but that's not the thing I will be noticing while slashing countless ninjas and demons, and neither will you, right ? I hope I'm wrong to imply that this kind of details alone would make you buy the game.

As a whole, I really can't see much difference between Sigma and the Xbox versions. I can understand that someone who didn't own an XBox is excited though.. I don't know if that says a lot about the capabilities of the XBox or the laziness of Team Ninja (or both).

Anyway, Black was essentially NG+, so that makes NG Sigma NG++... Hooray, that's interesting. Also, plastic figures am confirmed on some pics (the one with the blue female demon).

Either you need some glasses or some... more glasses.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
When I say I don't see much difference, I'm not implying that there's no difference at all, or that I don't see what's different. Whether it means that NGB was already very impressive or that Sigma doesn't push the hardware, I don't care. I'm just saying that I really don't see enough difference to be wowed.

Most of the differences between Black and Sigma will be barely noticeable when PLAYING them. Or, at the very least, you will be wowed for, say... 2 minutes, then be accustomed to what honestly is nothing but a slightly upgraded Ninja Gaiden. I don't know about the bonuses in this version though.

In short : my eyes and my glasses are fine, thanks, I just can't help finding the graphical difference underwhelming.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Kilrogg said:
In short : my eyes and my glasses are fine, thanks, I just can't help finding the graphical difference underwhelming.

So what if NG2 only looks a little better than this game? Would that be good or bad?

rs7k

Looks awesome, but how long till US gamers get to play this? I'll probably pick up Ninja Gaiden Black on Xbox when it's cheaper if we don't get to see this remake for a while.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
mckmas8808 said:
So what if NG2 only looks a little better than this game? Would that be good or bad?

Well, NG2 will have the huge advantage of being a sequel. Now, if I were to buy NG2, I guess that would be good, since the overall difference between 2 and Black will be greater.

Now, honestly, I couldn't care less anyway since it is highly unlikely that I'll own one or the other, but I was just being sceptical here. Of all the current gen > next gen leaps (considering the leaps in hardware, so that leaves the Wii out), I find that leap to be the most underwhelming.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
mckmas8808 said:
If the graphics engine essentially produced visuals on par with what we see here, it wouldn't be a problem as this game DOES look great. NG2 would have the advantage in that the environments would have been designed from the ground up for the new engine. The environments here are still based on the XBOX game, despite the additional detail.

It will be interesting to see how NG2 turns out, though. Will visuals be sacrificed for framerate? DOAXBV2 is the first Team Ninja game to be released at a framerate other than 60 fps...and that's not a good thing. There's no way they would release NG2 at 30 fps, however...but that could have an impact on other aspects.

I'll buy this if it's $30, maybe $40. I sold my Xbox a couple of months ago and XBL doesn't work in my dorm so I can't download the update that allows me to play NG: Black. Looks great though.

Fredrik

dark10x said:
It will be interesting to see how NG2 turns out, though. Will visuals be sacrificed for framerate? DOAXBV2 is the first Team Ninja game to be released at a framerate other than 60 fps...and that's not a good thing.
I'm actually worried that NG2 might run at 30fps just because of how DOAX2 turned out. I remember Itagaki saying how proud he was of their engine and that they could basically do whatever they wanted without having performance issues. And to me it sounded like he was referring to their engine as "the Team Ninja next gen engine", the engine that they will use for all their game. And the first game to run with that engine was DOAX2. :(

But would it matter? To me it would, and maybe to you too. But the majority of the gamers don't seem to care anymore, I'm sure an amazing looking NG2 that runs at 30fps would be very popular among most people, probably more popular than a NG2 with DOA4 type of graphics that runs at 60fps.
Yes, it's really sad. But what can you do? I often find myself getting flamed just because I complain about the framerate. Even if I'm talking about racing games. :/

dark10x

segasonic said:
that must be the reason why it looks 2 hardware generations better than those other pics
It doesn't, though. It's just the use of filters mixed with the fire that is fooling you.

That IS realtime. The whole fire scene is completely realtime.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
dark10x said:
It doesn't, though. It's just the use of filters mixed with the fire that is fooling you.

That IS realtime. The whole fire scene is completely realtime.

Yeah and this is what next-gen should be about visually. Using different effects to give your game that CG feel, even though it's real-time.

Jonnyram said:
It's a sneak attack, supported by Microsoft. Get all PS3 owners to fall in love with NG Sigma, then make NG2 360-exclusive and the PS3 owners will have to buy a 360... mwahahaaaaaaaaaa.
The funny thing is, you are probably right!

dark10x

Yeah and this is what next-gen should be about visually. Using different effects to give your game that CG feel, even though it's real-time.
Exactly.

For comparison, here a shot from the original scene (CG). I don't think they would downgrade the CG for the PS3 version. ;P The fire is especially telling...

561532_20030724_screen004.jpg

0069.jpg

lachesis

I guess I'm the only one who's a bit underwhelmed by it. When I first saw the TGS shot - I was going like "OMG!!!" and got my PS3 for this game - but right now, the inzuna drop shot is a bit of "meh". The trees, and somewhat bland lighting is what's getting me - and all those excessive blurrs on the temple shots are just flattening all the details and all. (I want my screen shots nice and detailed.) The fire shots are nothing short of awesomeness, though - and I do hope in real time, it would look even better than that.

In any case, while I'm a moderate NG fan - I'll gladly re-play the game over again. It's a really good game, worthy of replaying few times. :)

lachesis

agent069

Banned
What amaze me is the lack of shitty next gen effect like normal mapping, bloom lighting, or other shit like that. It just looks clean on its own and that's great.

Ninja Gaiden Simga really looks wonderful!

Ranger X

agent069 said:
What amaze me is the lack of shitty next gen effect like normal mapping, bloom lighting, or other shit like that. It just looks clean on its own and that's great.

Ninja Gaiden Simga really looks wonderful!

They probably have some real art director... a rare job in the industry it seems...

Tieno

0066.jpg

Best ass ever! Ryu sure can compeet with Solid Snake from MGS4.

The characters look really good, so smooth, no edges, nice effects, very pleasant and consistent. The environments can probably do some more effects. Or else they're too far to appreciate it.

CPS2

KurowaSan said:

Thank you! I've had that video sitting on my comp, and no idea where I got it from. If more people just dl the video this thread would be less painful to read. Looking at old screens should help too.

And finally...

1up said:
1UP: I think what I am looking for here is a statement of intent, a declaration -- not in a way that will diminish what Hayashi is working on -- but I think 360 fans are looking for a rallying cry against the wave of all the PS3 hype that is hitting this season.

TI: First of all the chief designer, myself, is focused on Ninja Gaiden 2 and I am not thinking about any other work at this point. As soon as this DOAX2 development is over then I will have something to tell you.

Hopefully no more "looks like the xbox game, does it look that blurry in motion, what a waste of resources" comments. :D

mr_nothin

Banned
Kilrogg said:

Ummm wat?
Can't a guy admire graphics? It's not like I can comment about the gameplay from a screenshot. I havent played any version of NG.

Dali

snack said:
The funny thing is, you are probably right!

Or the reverse could happen if Sigma sells more than any Xbox iteration did. Team Ninja might have to rethink their 360 focus.

jarrod

Banned
dark10x said:
DOAXBV2 is the first Team Ninja game to be released at a framerate other than 60 fps...and that's not a good thing.
I thought DOA PS1 (and the following DOA+ on TPS) were 30fps?

jarrod

Banned
jett said:
DOA on PS1 runs at 60fps.
Really... maybe I'm thinking lowered resolution then, but I know there was some key difference between the PS1 and Saturn versions (besides added gourad shading anyway).

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I am gonna buy this. I never got very far in the Xbox version because I got distracted, and then I lost interest.

This looks wonderful. Ninja Gaiden Sigma and Heavenly Sword in the same month (hopefully)! :D

jett

D-Member
jarrod said:
Really... maybe I'm thinking lowered resolution then, but I know there was some key difference between the PS1 and Saturn versions (besides added gourad shading anyway).

Like Dark10x, it also ran in high-res.

elostyle said:
Graphics don't look too good to me for a PS3 game.

Because they are based on an Xbox game. They still look nice on their own though. NG on xbox despite some technical deficiencies was a sublime game with lush visuals.

It would be nice to see what they come up with when designing a NG game from the ground-up for a next-gen system. I can already tell looking at these screens that we should have something truly special.

jarrod

Banned
dark10x said:
No way.

Not only was it 60 fps, it ran in a higher resolution.
The saturn game ran at 720 x 480 iirc (reused the VF2 engine)... DOA PS1 ran at higher resolution than that? With added effects (gourad shading, light sourcing) and higher poly models?

dark10x

jarrod said:
The saturn game ran at 720 x 480 iirc (reused the VF2 engine)... DOA PS1 ran at higher resolution than that? With added effects (gourad shading, light sourcing) and higher poly models?
No, it didn't run at a higher resolution than that. I meant, higher resolution than your average PSX game. DOA used 640x448 interlaced (field rendered). Same deal with games like TOBOL 2, IS - internal section, and a bunch of others.

640x448 at 60 fps is pretty good for such hardware, though.

So, yeah, DOAXBV2 is the only Team Ninja game that runs at something other than 60 fps.

Top Bottom