• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo 3DS AUS/NZ Launch |OT| Featuring Thieving European Importers

Impotaku

People should probably avoid shopping with Nippon-Yasan as they have been known to sell bootlegs and try to pass them off as official products. There was a documented case of this happening to a Figure GAF poster earlier this year.

Not saying that any coverplates or whatnot available there are going to be counterfeit, just a friendly warning that you should probably spend your hard earned money with a more reputable seller.

I got a couple of local sources in Japan which negates the need for a forwarding service.

Never heard that about nippon-yassan, do you remember the thread it appeared in?

Yeah a lot easier if you have contacts, have a couple of friends to help with stuff off of yahoo auctions or places that don't have online stores/or will sell to forwarding addresses.

A handy thing to have access to Amazon though a lot cheaper than most other import places.

Rich!

Is the Power Adapter universal or will it fry the DS if I use it in the USA like previous Nintendo adapters?

Well, it doesn't come with a power adapter.

However - you can plug in any power adapter from any region into the New 3DS (or any 3DS for that matter). They all output the exact same voltage and are safe to use.

It's why Nintendo not including a power adapter is great for us importers - no need for it anyway, just use the one we already have in our region!

TheChaos0

no problem and I'm sure you'll love the case! Good luck with applying the screen protector, maybe you already know but I was told that applying it in a bathroom with moist air gives you the best chance of preventing dust from getting under the screen filters. I wish I knew this before I applied mine, haha.

The case looks exactly the same as my XL one. Ye my last 3 screen protectors were applied in the bathroom. :)

kubus

People should probably avoid shopping with Nippon-Yasan as they have been known to sell bootlegs and try to pass them off as official products. There was a documented case of this happening to a Figure GAF poster earlier this year.

Not saying that any coverplates or whatnot available there are going to be counterfeit, just a friendly warning that you should probably spend your hard earned money with a more reputable seller.
I heard about this before but their games hardware and software is legit or at least I haven't heard of any bootleg stories in that department. And everything I've bought from them so far has been the real deal. To me they're cheap, reliable and don't resort to ridiculous price gouging like Play-Asia does so I'll keep ordering there. I'll never buy any figurines from them however.

Tattooth

goddamnit, my 3DS has been here since late friday/yesterday morning:

jOumBbpSDzJEi.png

on the plus side, I only live a 40 minute drive away from that service centre, so I must be getting it tomorrow, right? right?!

Damn, that sucks. I got mine yesterday, but couldn't really use it until like 8pm when my bigger SD card was delivered.

Ban Puncher

Never heard that about nippon-yassan, do you remember the thread it appeared in?

Yeah a lot easier if you have contacts, have a couple of friends to help with stuff off of yahoo auctions or places that don't have online stores/or will sell to forwarding addresses.

A handy thing to have access to Amazon though a lot cheaper than most other import places.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=124875386

Post #8641 is where the fun starts.

tl;dr Nippon-Yasan initially denied it was a bootleg, situation got traction online, NY offered a refund but only if people stopped saying nasty, true things.

tl;dr turbo edition - Nippon-Yasan got Streisand'd

Melon Husk

You just got me scared here....
I thought the New 3DS was similar to pal 3DS which All countries listed ?

I'm from Belgium, so does this means that after setting my upcoming NN3DS to Belgium as country and making the data transfer between my old 3DS and my NN3DS that I will not have access to the European esShop ?

I guess it would be safe to check first that you can access the eShop before transferring. Then again it could be a server issue. You might not even get an error after transferring because you've already been to the eShop and "activated" it. I'm not a Nintendo debugger! If it becomes an issue Nintendo should fix it with a system update. The fact that I can access the €-shop I think proves that Nintendo's region settings policy hasn't changed.

As Dark posted:
Ok, update on this. I don't know what's changed but it appears to be ok now! Maybe it was just a blip or maybe they had yet to flick a switch to allow it. Anyway, system transfer being performed now with both systems set to Ireland.

dgco86

So is the clicking hinge supposed to be normal? My old XLs would make an audible click at each position while my new LL from Japan doesn't.

Rich!

So is the clicking hinge supposed to be normal? My old XLs would make an audible click at each position while my new LL from Japan doesn't.

I think there's enough reports of this now to assume that yes, it is normal.

edit: actually, I misread your post. You're saying your New LL doesn't have any clicking? Ehh, this is odd. I'll have to see when I get mine tomorrow.

can someone please post what would be a step by step way to transfer digital licenses from a uk 3ds, to the Aus new 3ds without accidentally deleting the account?

I assume you need to turn the new 3ds on and set the region/store before transfer?

Rich!

can someone please post what would be a step by step way to transfer digital licenses from a uk 3ds, to the Aus new 3ds without accidentally deleting the account?

I assume you need to turn the new 3ds on and set the region/store before transfer?

http://www.nintendo.com.au/support/files/New_Nintendo_3DS_Easy_System_Transfer_Guide.pdf

follow the instructions in that post EXACTLY. And yes, set the system as UK region when you first turn it on. Once you've done that, it's essentially a UK New Nintendo 3DS, and all you have to do then is go onto the system menu and select the system transfer option. Do not do anything else other than that.

http://www.nintendo.com.au/support/files/New_Nintendo_3DS_Easy_System_Transfer_Guide.pdf

follow the instructions in that post EXACTLY. And yes, set the system as UK region when you first turn it on. Once you've done that, it's essentially a UK New Nintendo 3DS, and all you have to do then is go onto the system menu and select the system transfer option. Do not do anything else other than that.

thanks

I assume themes and dlc transfer over too right?

oh and can anyone recommend a decent 32gb micro sd card?

dgco86

I think there's enough reports of this now to assume that yes, it is normal.

edit: actually, I misread your post. You're saying your New LL doesn't have any clicking? Ehh, this is odd. I'll have to see when I get mine tomorrow.

Nope, no clicking on mine. It just makes a dull thud at each position. Completely different from my 2 old XLs.

Taking reference from this video, my New 3DSLL sounds like the one on the right. My old 3DS XL/LL sound like the one on the left:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6K6gavnAc8s

Rich!

thanks

I assume themes and dlc transfer over too right?

oh and can anyone recommend a decent 32gb micro sd card?

yes, everything transfers over. just make sure you use the "transfer using a PC" option and then copy the SD contents over using your pc, otherwise it will literally take an entire day to transfer.

and amazon.co.uk has 32GB sd cards for dirt cheap:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00J29D62Y/

£10 for a Samsung 32GB micro SD (I have this one, works great).

Yrael

I have a new 3DS, and it doesn't make any clicking noises whatsoever - just a dull thud as dgco86 described.

Kirby102

I have a new 3DS, and it doesn't make any clicking noises whatsoever - just a dull thud as dgco86 described.

Yeah, mine is the one that makes the clicks on the 2nd position and it's loud as. Throws me off sometimes, I thought they fixed this hinge thing. Bad batch or expected at some point.

Vidal

Caved in and went to JB to buy one; they price-matched with Target so I managed to get the normal n3ds for 197. Coming from a original 3ds... wow, what a difference. Loving it so far.

yes, everything transfers over. just make sure you use the "transfer using a PC" option and then copy the SD contents over using your pc, otherwise it will literally take an entire day to transfer.

and amazon.co.uk has 32GB sd cards for dirt cheap:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00J29D62Y/

£10 for a Samsung 32GB micro SD (I have this one, works great).

I noticed there are 3 versions, would the pro actually be better in a new 3ds or would the difference be not that great?

Performance difference will be negligible afaik, but if the price isnt much more then go for it.

hmm, do we know the read/write speeds of a new 3ds?

the pro card does

Up to 90MB/s Read (UHS-I Interface)
Up to 80MB/s Write (UHS-I Interface)

if the new 3ds cant hit those speeds itself I guess it would be negligible

MilkLizard

goddamnit, my 3DS has been here since late friday/yesterday morning:

jOumBbpSDzJEi.png

on the plus side, I only live a 40 minute drive away from that service centre, so I must be getting it tomorrow, right? right?!

Lucky you. I'm still waiting for an e-mail with the tracking number. No idea where my device is at the moment.

That's actually my only complaint about Mighty Ape. Why do I have to ask for a tracking number and then wait days for an answer?

Taigerr

Lucky you. I'm still waiting for an e-mail with the tracking number. No idea where my device is at the moment.

That's actually my only complaint about Mighty Ape. Why do I have to ask for a tracking number and then days for an answer?

Man at least yours has shipped (I presume). Play Asia is still waiting for stock to arrive from Australia. I won't at all be surprised if 365games gets their stock tomorrow too if they are also being supplied by an Oz outfit. If that's the case 365games may turn out to be quicker after all.....

MilkLizard

Man at least yours has shipped (I presume). Play Asia is still waiting for stock to arrive from Australia. I won't at all be surprised if 365games gets their stock tomorrow too if they are also being supplied by an Oz outfit. If that's the case 365games may turn out to be quicker after all.....

Well yes it has shipped and I guess it will be here before I get an answer from them.

Look at the the bright side. We will have a new shiny console months before it gets released here, so there is always that. :)

ZeroX03

Banned

That's actually my only complaint about Mighty Ape. Why do I have to ask for a tracking number and then wait days for an answer?

When did you ask? NZ's the second furthest time zone ahead, it's Monday morning now and you'll get your response in a few hours. CS will have been out of the office for 60 hours.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Well, it doesn't come with a power adapter.

However - you can plug in any power adapter from any region into the New 3DS (or any 3DS for that matter). They all output the exact same voltage and are safe to use.

It's why Nintendo not including a power adapter is great for us importers - no need for it anyway, just use the one we already have in our region!

Hmm.. What I mean is that if I take the EU power adapter to USA and use it there through a travel adapter, will it work? I fried one GB Micro when doing that, I never figured Nintendo would do a portable that can't be charged plugging the power adapter to a travel adapter, but they turned out to be that cheap

Rich!

Hmm.. What I mean is that if I take the EU power adapter to USA and use it there through a travel adapter, will it work? I fried one GB Micro when doing that, I never figured Nintendo would do a portable that can't be charged plugging the power adapter to a travel adapter, but they turned out to be that cheap

Personally, I wouldn't risk it. But really, I don't know.

Just buy a USB adapter like this:

41kxSW%2BbieL.jpg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00828JXWS/

You've got no chance of frying your console with one of those. And you can then just use any USB port or USA usb mains adapter.

Rich!

Been playing on my OG 3DS for the first time since 2012 this weekend (first time I've touched a 3DS since I did a system transfer and sold my xl back in september actually)

damn, it's...not great. I played one GP in Mario Kart 7 and by the end of it, my hands were in agony. The ergonomics are terrible, the D-Pad sucks, and the paint on the buttons is cracking.

I tried to play on it as much as possible, but had to give up. Can't wait to get my N3DS XL tomorrow, fucking hell

Mistle

Nope, no clicking on mine. It just makes a dull thud at each position. Completely different from my 2 old XLs.

Taking reference from this video, my New 3DSLL sounds like the one on the right. My old 3DS XL/LL sound like the one on the left:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6K6gavnAc8s
My new XL makes the dull thuds. I much prefer it over the loud clicks of the original XL.

EDIT: Oh, watching that vid, I didn't process they were both New. I'd say mine sounds somewhere between those two. Like a dull click, haha. Must vary from console to console.

Rich!

so when is smash 3ds amiibo compatible?

Likely not before the N3DS is announced in the west.

If they patch it and include references to the N3DS before its announced in the west it will undermine NOA's current complete denial that the console exists.

WarAdept

Is anyone going with a screen protector? I always get mixed reactions to "get them they're amazing" to "it's a scam, waste of money and it looks worse" when it comes to these things.

I did have some scratches on my 3DS XL bottom screen but I'm pretty sure that was from the frantic nature some games demand (Kid Icarus: Uprising and Theatrhythm to name some) but for some reason my OG 3DS never had any problems with scratches.

Hasney

Looks like the first wave is pretty dry. All the eBay ones bar one direct from Aus is gone and Play Asia is saying 1 to 2 weeks. I'll go with them come Wednesday if nothing else comes up.

ZeroX03

Banned
Is anyone going with a screen protector? I always get mixed reactions to "get them they're amazing" to "it's a scam, waste of money and it looks worse" when it comes to these things.

I did have some scratches on my 3DS XL bottom screen but I'm pretty sure that was from the frantic nature some games demand (Kid Icarus: Uprising and Theatrhythm to name some) but for some reason my OG 3DS never had any problems with scratches.

A few pages back there's photos that show there's a visible gap inbetween the two screens on New models. They seem completely pointless.

Looks like the first wave is pretty dry. All the eBay ones bar one direct from Aus is gone and Play Asia is saying 1 to 2 weeks. I'll go with them come Wednesday if nothing else comes up.

There are heaps in stores here.

I wonder how much it would cost to ship these things? The packaging is tiny.

Yrael

I think I'd still like a screen protector for the bottom screen. I tend to press a little too hard with the stylus sometimes, particularly when I'm drawing (Colors 3D).

WarAdept

I think I'd still like a screen protector for the bottom screen. I tend to press a little too hard with the stylus sometimes, particularly when I'm drawing (Colors 3D).

Yeah I've been thinking about it and I'll go ahead with a screen protector. I've never had scratches from the actual device itself, just from the stylus as I said in my previous post. Hopefully it provides enough defence for furious swiping.

A few pages back there's photos that show there's a visible gap inbetween the two screens on New models. They seem completely pointless.

There are heaps in stores here.

I wonder how much it would cost to ship these things? The packaging is tiny.

Probs $10 - $20 via EMS or Australia Post

Ban Puncher

Went into a Big W today to look for a $17 wood coverplate. No plates at all on the shelves, asked a staff member if they had any and he stared at me like I was asking him to explain string theory whilst doing a Gilbert Gottfried impersonation.

They still had a few New 3DS consoles in stock though.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Heh, its fun posting 3DS Smash Brothers screenshot posts on Miiverse. ;) So many zomg how do u do dis???? comments.

I switched Miiverse regions on my JP New 3DS before the Aussie one came out and posted some screens and I got them deleted by Admin and a warning for it too.

Felensis

Banned
We are happy to inform you that your New Nintendo 3DS is in transit right now, and you will be receiving your console shortly. However, we apologize to inform you that we won't be able to ship until the morning of the 24th (GMT +8) as our supplier has just confirmed the arrival date.

Please understand that the Australian New Nintendo 3DS is shipping from Australia to Hong Kong; thereafter we will immediately ship your console to you so that you can get to gaming as soon as possible.

If you have any concerns or questions, please contact our Customer Service: CS@Play-Asia.com and they will be more than happy to help.

We apologize for any inconvenience caused and we look forward to your continued support.

Warmest Regards,

Your Team At Play-Asia.com
Customer Support Team

F*CK YEAH, shit gets real! :D

Top Bottom