• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo 3DS Hardware Info (Conference At 10 PST/1 EST Today)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I actually started lurking here right around the DS launch.

Was GAF this dumb with the original? I don't mean the disappointment in the graphics, I mean things like "THE PRICE BETTER GO DOWN AFTER A YEAR I WILL BE SO ANGRY IF THEY MAKE A PROFIT"?

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
richisawesome said:
Yep. It'll be the same situation as with the Wii, with Nintendo fully exploiting supply and demand. I mean, fuck - the Wii has only recently had a price drop, hasn't it?

The 3DS will likely never have a price drop, might as well buy it at launch.

ShockingAlberto said:

Was GAF this dumb with the original? I don't mean the disappointment in the graphics, I mean things like "THE PRICE BETTER GO DOWN AFTER A YEAR I WILL BE SO ANGRY IF THEY MAKE A PROFIT"?

Agreed, it is quite irritating.

For something that will have amazing battery life the 3DS will be AMAZING. I can only wish that Sony will make something with equally good battery life.

KAL2006

Banned
another thing that pisses me off is the low quality cameras on the 3DS. The cameras should at least match the resolution of the 3DS screen. But I am guessing Nintendo will include higher quality cameras on 3DS Lite, after all they need some good reasons for people to upgrade.

KAL2006

Banned
Hcoregamer00 said:
The 3DS will likely never have a price drop, might as well buy it at launch.

The clever thing to do is buy multiple 3DS's at launch. If the demand is going to be as big as the Wii then profit can be made. I bought 4 Wii's at launch and made a profit while keeping one of the Wii's.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
wsippel said:
No, the DSi also has two processors. Nintendo simply clocked the ARM9 higher, the ARM7 is exactly the same as the DS's.
Of course, by 'pretty sure' I meant 'pretty wrong!'
Woops! Haha. :)

Rich!

KAL2006 said:
The clever thing to do is buy multiple 3DS's at launch. If the demand is going to be as big as the Wii then profit can be made. I bought 4 Wii's at launch and made a profit while keeping one of the Wii's.

People like you are why consoles are so fucking hard to find at launch for genuine customers. Fucksake.

Vinci

Danish
KAL2006 said:
another thing that pisses me off is the low quality cameras on the 3DS. The cameras should at least match the resolution of the 3DS screen. But I am guessing Nintendo will include higher quality cameras on 3DS Lite, after all they need some good reasons for people to upgrade.

Yes. That's called making money. Just like Apple didn't include everything in the original iPhone, or how MS didn't include a wireless internet adapter in the 360.

ShockingAlberto said:

I wasn't on GAF at that time, but yes, I saw this sort of mentality even in Japan. Which is where I was when the DS launched. I mean, it was still really popular - but there were the crazy tech folks, going, "Why is it so expensive?!"

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
richisawesome said:
People like you are why consoles are so fucking hard to find at launch for genuine customers. Fucksake.

Well, regardless of people like him buying extra consoles, one can't deny that the 3DS will be in HEAVY demand. Preorder ASAP or you wont get one at launch.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
mrklaw said:
why would you use 2 chips at eg 250MHz instead of just one at 500MHz?

Surely there is a minimum current required for a chip even if its doing almost nothing, or does the current requirement of a chip not scale linearly with speed? (eg does a 500MHz chip require more than twice the current of the same chip running at 250MHz?)
There's a minimal _voltage_ a chip can work at. From there on, power draw still drops with clock decreases, even when supplied voltage has reached the bottom. Think of it this way - you get less transistor state switching work per unit of time. Of course, some silicon technologies also have a minimal viable clock, under which the circuits stop functioning reliably.

Vinci

Danish
Hcoregamer00 said:
Well, regardless of people like him buying extra consoles, one can't deny that the 3DS will be in HEAVY demand. Preorder ASAP or you wont get one at launch.

Oh, don't exaggerate. Launch day, any store. Go.

Vinci said:

After having to sit out in front of Target for 6 hours before the store opened to get one of the 60 Wiis they had at launch and ending up getting number 56, I'm never taking a chance on a console I want at launch ever again. I'm betting this is gonna be even worse.

Jin34

KAL2006 said:

Hey its still higher res than the Kinect camera!

Sadist

TheLastCandle said:
After having to sit out in front of Target for 6 hours before the store opened to get one of the 60 Wiis they had at launch and ending up getting number 56, I'm never taking a chance on a console I want at launch ever again. I'm betting this is gonna be even worse.
He was being sarcastic. Ye old "I'll walk in on launchday and pick one up" meme

donny2112

Vinci said:

That worked for the GameCube and DS/DSLite/DSi. A Spring launch should make the chances of that happening with the 3DS higher than with Wii, but who knows.

Vinci

Danish
TheLastCandle said:
Missed that one, I suppose. Wasn't here during the epic console launch season a few years ago. :lol

Yeah, it was pretty awesome.

"Eh, you'll be able to get one on launch day without any trouble. Just go in and grab one."

Then the damn thing was sold out for the better part of 18 months.

Portugeezer

Gold Member
Mini Gamecube with a few more capabilities.

Considering everything runs at a lower resolution, we should see good things from the 3DS, and we already have. All those pre-alpha games already look great.

KAL2006

Banned
KAL2006 said:

OK I just looked into the resolution of the 3DS cameras and screen.

Top screen - 800x240 per eye (or 1600x480 in 2D)
Bottom screen - 320x240
All cameras - 640x480

That isn't actually too bad, because the resolution of the screens are low, Nintendo get away with low camera resolution. However I hope the cameras are higher quality (resolution isn't the only factor for a quality camera).

Rich!

KAL2006 said:

Bottom screen - 320x240
All cameras - 640x480

That isn't actually too bad, because the resolution of the screens are low, Nintendo get away with low camera resolution. However I hope the cameras are higher quality (resolution isn't the only factor for a quality camera).

Wrong. It's 400x240 per eye or 800x240 put together. 1600x480 would be fucking stupid.

KAL2006

Banned
richisawesome said:
Wrong. It's 400x240 per eye or 800x240 put together. 1600x480 would be fucking stupid.

damn shame, so the iPhone has higher resolution than 3DS (iPhone 4 has even better), this is quite dissapointing for me. I was hoping to be able to have a good web browser for 3DS, web browsing on low resolutions is not very good, just look at the DSi.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
What's most shocking about these specs is how frugal & uncommon they are. I don't remember seeing any recent hardware with these types of choices taken with the design. The types of consideration taken to create a gaming device is totally different than those used to design a smartphone.

KAL2006 said:
damn shame, so the iPhone has higher resolution than 3DS (iPhone 4 has even better), this is quite dissapointing for me. I was hoping to be able to have a good web browser for 3DS, web browsing on low resolutions is not very good, just look at the DSi.
If you have an iPhone, why would you be browsing on a DS?

Portugeezer

Gold Member
Vic said:
What's most shocking about these specs is how frugal & uncommon they are. I don't remember seeing any recent hardware with these types of choices taken with the design. The types of consideration taken to create a gaming device is totally different than those used to design a smartphone.
Looks like battery life was a big importance. And we know smartphones have faster CPU's, but 90% of the time they are just in your pocket on standby. I bet you couldn't game for 8 hour straight like you could on the DS Lite (if you really wanted to).

I hope 3DS has similar battery life. Looks like it will.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
KAL2006 said:
Browse the web with 64MB RAM? Are you nuts?

Rich!

KAL2006 said:

It's a gaming handheld. If you want to browse the internet use an iPhone or a PC.

It's a games console. Not a smartphone. Not a PDA. A games console.

imthemaid

Banned
KAL2006 said:

Bottom screen - 320x240
All cameras - 640x480

So, uh, what's your interest in 3DS cameras, eh? Academic? Purely sexual?

GDGF

Soothsayer
Excellent news. Now I've got to play catchup with the thread. Bits and pieces are coming out like crazy now, though, and that's a good thing!

KAL2006

Banned
Mutagenic said:
Browse the web with 64MB RAM? Are you nuts?

The DSi used only 16MB RAM. I'm sure they could make a functional web browser on 3DS that is slightly better than DSi's web browser. Of course it won't be anyway near the level of iPhones web browser.

Rich!

KAL2006 said:
The DSi used only 16MB RAM. I'm sure they could make a functional web browser on 3DS that is slightly better than DSi's web browser. Of course it won't be anyway near the level of iPhones web browser.

So then stick to using the iPhone. I don't see the issue here.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
KAL2006 said:
Slightly better than the DSi's browser? Haha oh damn, sign me up!

richisawesome said:
It's a gaming handheld. If you want to browse the internet use an iPhone or a PC.

It's a games console. Not a smartphone. Not a PDA. A games console.

call me crazy but i feel that internet will be an integral part of the 3ds

Pseudo_Sam

Survives without air, food, or water
So I've been salivating over the 3DS, completely forgetting that I can't see stereoscopic 3D. I guess my undying love for Nintendo handhelds blinded me from my partial blindness.

I mean, I'm still salivating, but it's a little more under control now. Here's to hoping 3D isn't integral to any of the games I want to buy!

KAL2006

Banned
richisawesome said:
So then stick to using the iPhone. I don't see the issue here.

I don't have a iPhone :lol , though my mate has one, and it seems cool that you can use a web browser. Basically it saves me having to go to my computer, switch it on (shit takes ages to come on) then browse the web. Where as if the 3DS had a functional web browser, when I'm bored I can just pull out a 3DS from my pocket and start browsing straight away.

Portugeezer

Gold Member
KAL2006 said:
I don't have a iPhone :lol , though my mate has one, and it seems cool that you can use a web browser. Basically it saves me having to go to my computer, switch it on (shit takes ages to come on) then browse the web. Where as if the 3DS had a functional web browser, when I'm bored I can just pull out a 3DS from my pocket and start browsing straight away.
Get Windows 7 basic. Cheaper than a 3DS and loads up super quick.

It would be cool if 3DS made a nice web browser, but not a priority for me. I have many devices to browse the internet.

KAL2006 said:

maybe you should stay with your beloved iphone then.

edit: just read your reply above. ignore sentence above

all I read is how much better the iphone is since 10 pages.

ppl are out of their mind.

btw: the DSi cameras are pretty awesome for such low resolution. they make much better pics than the ubercrappy iphone camera. so, I'm pretty sure the 3DS cameras are just as good (in quality)

I'm seeing complaints about the power but you guys have to remember there's nothing out there to compete with right now. They're basically going to make a killing from 3DS, then spend a shit-ton on R&D for the next portable. It is what it is.

hylje

I pretty much don't give a donkey balls about the specs. Just give it to me now and have the loading times super quick.

HAL_Laboratory said:
I'm seeing complaints about the power but you guys have to remember there's nothing out there to compete with right now. They're basically going to make a killing from 3DS, then spend a shit-ton on R&D for the next portable. It is what it is.
I thought that was what the current DS was for...

I have no problem with the system's specs. We've already seen that it can produce very attractive visuals, so it makes no difference to me.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
KAL2006 said:
And worse comes to worse, you return the 2nd one saying "I didn't like the color/it was a gift and someone in my family also bought one for the same person", in the rare chance Nintendo has 20 Million of these to be shipped out the door at launch.

I also didn't think there would be so much demand for the Wii out the door, or that supply would be an issue for 2 years. It was 6 months after the system came out till I saw one in a store :lol

szaromir

Banned
iamaustrian said:
maybe you should stay with your beloved iphone then.

edit: just read your reply above. ignore sentence above

all I read is how much better the iphone is since 10 pages.

ppl are out of their mind.
FWIW, I remember a lot of complaints about original iPhone as well. But I think everyone realizes here that ultimately 3DS will be a better gaming system - iPhone's controls options compared to 3DS are (almost) like Kinect compared to dual analogue controller, plus 3DS has a 3D screen... The only question right now is how Nintendo will handle digital distribution, something akin to iPhone would be awesome.

ShockingAlberto said:
Hrm.

RAM is about in line with an original XBox. That's not shabby, really.
Specially taking into account XBOX was running a fork of windows 2000 kernel+directX API in the background at all times and specially: didn't have a dedicated framebuffer or Z-buffer for that matter and doing those took quite a few MB's of RAM at all times.

I'm sure a chip like this, optimized for integrated aplications will have those solved without drawing from the main RAM.

Sorry, I'm replying from a few pages back, but it probably hadn't been said already?

Bizzyb

Banned
brain_stew said:
An interesting point to make about the CPU choice. A lot of people are making the comment that this is a keen example of Nintendo "cheaping out" and I think that comment is a little unfair. Just because those two ARM11 cores run at a meagre clockspeed doesn't actually mean that they'll be any cheaper to manufacture, they'll have the the exact same silicon budget as standard ~600mhz AMR11s as featured in most previous generation smartphones.

They're literally the same chip, Nintendo are just clocking them lower to conserve battery life and the fact there's two of them in there actually means they've actually dedicated a fair bit of silicon to CPU resources. They'll be fully capable of running at much higher clockspeeds and that's something we might actually see further down the line just as we did with the PSP. They had plenty of cheaper options than two full ARM11 cores available and if BC really did demand a dual CPU setup then Cortex A8s really were always out of the question imo. That would have meant that Nintendo dedicated two times as much silicon to their CPU solution than even the highest end smartphone currently on the market.

No, this is all about battery life first and foremost, if 266mhz was the highest clockspeed they could get away with while maintaining a 10 hour battery life then so be it. There'd have been much more bitching if the 3DS ended up with PSP or Iphone levels of battery life when playing 3D games.

The one area they definitely did "cheap out" in is the size of the main memory pool. 128MB really wouldn't have made all that much difference to Nintendo's bottom line but if this device really isn't going to offer many "non gaming" functions and Nintendo really don't want to design a nice ingame OS then its understandable why they made the choice they did. I feel it is rather shortsighted personally but if their vision for the device is set in stone then it really isn't a choice that is going to hamper that vision as much as some assume. 64MB of RAM is still quite a lot for a dedicated portable gaming device, Xbox level textures should more than suffice for a 3" screen and I really struggle to believe that this level of hardware could have made any real efficient use of more than 128MB.

*Scared criminal voice*

What are you, man?!?

ILikeFeet

Banned
some shit about DOA:D

- Yousuke Hayashi did not know about the 3D when he was shown the 3DS kit

-
"I've thought from before that there was great potential for fighting games played on a portable game machine," said Hayashi. "However, the reality was that there was no hardware that matched this. When I first saw the 3DS, I felt that with this performance, it could be done."

- no popping out, depth. like SSF4

- "We can expect the game's stages to have more dynamic elements, said Hayahsi. This is in reference to such areas as players being able to run into objects, and objects falling off cliffs. Such areas are being strengthened for Dimensions."

- pretty much all the features from 1-4 will be here

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/09/22/doa_dimensions_interview/

wsippel

Banned
Assuming Renesas designed the CPU, I guess it's possible it contains one or two 266MHz SPXK701 DSPs as well. Renesas usually pairs ARM11 cores with those (proprietary?) DSPs, running at the same clockspeed.

brain_stew said:
Neither did the Xbox, not at 60fps anyway. So are you going to argue that the PS2 had better gaming hardware than the Xbox as well? Really?

And the PS2 doesn't have the raw specs to run RE:Revelations at even a dozen frames per second, so what exactly is your point? If you design 3DS games around pushing as many single textured polygons as possible of course they're not going to look great. If you port a high end PS2 game as is and don't add any nice lighting/shaders and you don't increase the texture resolution then its absolutely going to look worse than its original incaranation, but I have to ask why in the fuck would any sane developer do that? Kojima ported some scenes from MGS3 in a few months and despite compromising the raw vertex count somewhat the game looks lightyears better on the 3DS because the texture, the lighting and the general level of effects are prettty much an entire generation ahead.

Designing hardware with incredibly strict cost, size and power constraints is all about smart compromises. You can't make a machine that is all things to all men, that offers ridiculous throughput, all the fixed function hardware under the sun as well as incredibly flexible shaders on top of all that. You have to make a choice on which areas the system excels at and compromise those that are of lesser importance lest you make this thing cost $400+ to manufacture, be physically huge and run down a chunky battery in under 2 hours. There's no magic here, its all about smart compromise.
WTF are you talking about? The Xbox had more than enough polygon-crunching power to create games with large, complex enviornments. (In fact its GPU can handle almost twice as many raw polygons as the PS2's.) I'm not debating which graphical approach is better, I'm just skeptical about whether the 3DS will even be capable of running games such as the Jak or PS2 Ratchet games or Transformers Armada or Far Cry Instincts or Oddworld Stranger's Wrath.

Maybe the PS2 doesn't have the shader architecture to reproduce the effects used in Revelations exactly, but it can still use its own effects to come up with something which looks equally impressive. But if the 3DS' GPU is as polygon-deficient as reported, then it won't have any games which even remotely resemble the ones I listed above.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I wonder if Nintendo will allow companies at a later date turn up the CPU clock speeds.

Also, its possible these numbers are not set in stone and are still just development kits, though the only thing I see that I would think could change is more internal storage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom