• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NEW No Man's Sky Details (GAMEPLAY, ATLAS, CRAFTING,)

Fonds

We know next to nothing about The Last Guardian and people are reacting completely different about that. For all we know it could be a set of small puzzles like in the E3 demo that can be selected from a list in the main menu, right?
Maybe the guy is a journalist and it's his job to ask questions but he's going crazy of not knowing things. Maybe the developers don't want to spoil everything or don't want to disclose features that aren't final yet. Why can't he just wait for them to talk about the things when they are ready? His reaction is like that of a spoiled child.

The thing is that The Last Guardian looks to be in a genre that we are all a lot more familiar with.

When a developer shows a game and claims that you can do just about anything and go just about anywhere, we as gamers tend to get very excited.
However there is quite a bit of precedent when it comes to these promises (Molyneux) and skepticism soon comes into play.
I think there is a very valid point in asking for more information when the developer has shown the game 4 times, and still hasn't shown us more than just the scope of the game.

If there would be nothing besides the scope of the game, that's fine. It would still be a very impressive game and some people will love it for that.
Impressive just wouldn't be enough to justify a purchase for me and many others though. If Sean Murray wants this game to sell, he should be aware of that fact since most people at this point just don't get it.

Slixshot

Banned
It's like going to the Moon. Getting there is awesome and it's quite an achievement. But once you're up there and you notice that there's really nothing for you to do other than running around, you'll get bored very, very quickly.

I think most developers understand that there's an issue with this whole thing, cause creating procedurally generated environments is nothing new - the problem has always been how to actually fit any 'design' in there that keeps players entertained. And of that, we've seen close to nothing yet. Games that are just procedurally generated that don't have any real game design / interaction tend to just grow old very, very quickly (See Proteus). The promise is great, the reality isn't.

Building a big area that you just walk around in is just not fun. On top of that, the planets we've seen so far all look completely similar, except for some of the colors. Yes, it'd be great if all the planets would look different and if there'd be new things to interact with, but what we've seen this year again has basically been the exact same demo we've seen over the last 2 years and if a developer doesn't show any gameplay, there's just a very, very good chance that there isn't any. Yes, you can tell yourself that Murray wants to keep it all mysterious and surprise everyone, but as a skeptic dev who spends almost every hour of the day on design, I just have to be critical over 'Oh, it's all procedurally generated and it'll be fun' - History told us otherwise, so it remains to be seen.

The biggest issue I see so far is that they've always just shown the same things during the demos. I don't even doubt that it should be fairly easy to put simple, yet addictive gameplay hooks in there that'd keep you going. But they haven't shown anything, so obviously people remain skeptical.

My problem with NMS so far is not with what we have seen, but with how it has been given such a large stage presence. If what you say is true, and I'm sure it is, then why has Sony given these guys so much attention? Why have they been given the stage so many times? If this is another minecraft, or another proteus (to be fair, I think there's already much more going on in NMS than proteus) then why is Sony making this such a big deal over any other indie?

Evantist

It's like going to the Moon. Getting there is awesome and it's quite an achievement. But once you're up there and you notice that there's really nothing for you to do other than running around, you'll get bored very, very quickly.

I think most developers understand that there's an issue with this whole thing, cause creating procedurally generated environments is nothing new - the problem has always been how to actually fit any 'design' in there that keeps players entertained. And of that, we've seen close to nothing yet. Games that are just procedurally generated that don't have any real game design / interaction tend to just grow old very, very quickly (See Proteus). The promise is great, the reality isn't.

Building a big area that you just walk around in is just not fun. On top of that, the planets we've seen so far all look completely similar, except for some of the colors. Yes, it'd be great if all the planets would look different and if there'd be new things to interact with, but what we've seen this year again has basically been the exact same demo we've seen over the last 2 years and if a developer doesn't show any gameplay, there's just a very, very good chance that there isn't any. Yes, you can tell yourself that Murray wants to keep it all mysterious and surprise everyone, but as a skeptic dev who spends almost every hour of the day on design, I just have to be critical over 'Oh, it's all procedurally generated and it'll be fun' - History told us otherwise, so it remains to be seen.

The biggest issue I see so far is that they've always just shown the same things during the demos. I don't even doubt that it should be fairly easy to put simple, yet addictive gameplay hooks in there that'd keep you going. But they haven't shown anything, so obviously people remain skeptical.

:D Well a true explorer wouldn't stop at the moon! If I manage to land on the moon after an awe-inspiring journey, I will ask, "What's beyond the moon?" Personally, it's quite an intimidating but exhilarating question.

From what we hear, NMS does have interesting features beyond shoot stuff for resources:
- Bounty system as risk-reward system (You need to hunt exotic wildlife to acquire resource, but this wildlife may be protected by its planet's police)
- Wanted system (Continuous defiance towards the planet's police may invite greater obstacles in the form of battlecruisers)
- Barter system at space stations (which is ripe for supply and demand mechanic)
- Space Skirmishes (presumably there are risk-reward for participation)
- Dissemination of information to other players
- Crafting of course

Maybe there will be more features down the road. As for the permutation that facilitates the uniqueness of each planet, it really comes down to the ruleset of the procedural generation. We do not know its intricacy, so for now I would give it the benefit of the doubt.

I can't believe there are folk bashing this game and suggesting that Elite has more defined content.

This game is designed like Elite in that you forge your own path, the routes you can take in game seem similar just in NMS they haven't put class names on them.

In Elite all you do is grind combat, trade goods with NPC's or explore. You can't land on planets and there is literally nothing at the centre of the galaxy.

Both NMS and Elite are technically amazing to me in that the simulate an entire galaxy, in Elite only about 1% of it has been discovered by players and when you leave the starter systems the chance of you seeing another player is so slim it's unreal.

NMS to me seems like Elite but with planet landings and a point to the actual combat/resource gathering.

If you want to play co op with friends and have a linear goal to achieve this is not the game for you.

Sean Murray wants you to work out what to do, enter the game and fly off and let your own mind decide what to do next. If he comes out and says that X resource does X job then on day 1 hundreds of people will go off and do that grind that task into oblivion and say the game is boring because that's all you do.

Sblargh

Banned
Can we all at least agree that Shawn Murray is a refreshingly unique in the sea of random people with suits and PR speaks?

He has got this arrogant thing that is like the opposite arrogance of the Fez guy. He's suave arrogant and I love it.

Alienous

i don't intend to spar with you over this. but you accused them of over promising on a thing that isn't out. that's exactly what you did. ass cheques. etc.

if you can't figure out how the game works, that's on you. there's tons of footage out there showing multiple game systems.

I haven't been able to find a video showing trading or combat yet. I'd appreciate if you could point me to one.

iosefe

I haven't been able to find a video showing trading or combat yet. I'd appreciate if you could point me to one.
We've seen him shoot sentinels, and destroy things. This year's live demo had that.

It's not organized combat in a PvP sense if that's what you're looking for.

dalin80

Banned
My most wanted feature: a radio in the ship it would be awesome to listen to say galactic news or podcasts while flying about.

Gruso

No Man's Sky just got added to Steam! :D

Still no date
http://store.steampowered.com/app/275850/

Ya5GDp7.jpg

Are you really so skeptical that you don't believe a game in 2015 can't do what a game in 1984 did?

It's a completely valid point, though. If we're told all of these features exist, give us a piece of it and allow us to see that there's more than just flying around to different generated planets.

It's foolish in this day and age to completely trust words unequivocally, regardless of how "cool" the developer is.

It's a completely valid point, though. If we're told all of these features exist, give us a piece of it and allow us to see that there's more than just flying around to different generated planets.

It's foolish in this day and age to completely trust words unequivocally, regardless of how "cool" the developer is.

I'd like to see more too, but I feel like they're showing off the part of the game most people would be skeptical about. The average gamer probably hears that you can fly from one planet to another and is skeptical since games don't do that. We have a million games with shooting, but not so many with an explorable world like NMS.

Squalor

Yes, yes, yes, I need this game. I fucking need this game.

I want Sean Murray to succeed so fucking much.

His passion and vision are infectious.

Wow, that guy Brandon is pretty short-sighted. Everything out of his mouth was just dumb.

mujun

I hope this game lives up to my own personal hype and I don't feel like it's being overhyped by the people making the game, rather by some fans.

butman

I will not play this game for the simple reason that it will not let me enjoy so many other games in my backlog.

I know that if I fall, I'll be wandering between planets for eternity.

mujun

I just watched the Gamespot live demo.

The release date discussion was funny.

This game should come out in August. I'd think it would destroy in such a dead stretch.

Helznicht

Agree and Disagree, I think it IS hard to put compelling gameplay into a fully procedural world. Base Minecraft isnt that great on its own and it gets old rather quickly playing survival. Creative changes the whole game where its not about discovery anymore, its about creating a world (Some love and some dont). But where minecraft got really popular is server worlds that use creative mode to create specific gamemaps. And what is played on these? More traditional games such as FPS vs, Platforming, Racing, etc.. These popular server games could NOT be played in a random procedural world.

Gut tells me this will change to an Early Access game within the year, where many of these gameplay elements they LIST, will still be on the "coming soon" table. Hope I am wrong.

I think the aimless nature of this game is going to be its downfall for me. Unless there are so many amazing things that keep driving me forward (and really how many unique aliens/creatures/planets can they generate?) then I'm not sure how long I'll want to just fly around going from one rock to the next...

I'd like to see more too, but I feel like they're showing off the part of the game most people would be skeptical about. The average gamer probably hears that you can fly from one planet to another and is skeptical since games don't do that. We have a million games with shooting, but not so many with an explorable world like NMS.

But that's what we've been shown for two years. Planets are procedurally generated, there is no loading as you fly from planet to planet. What my concern is, is what else can I do once I land on a planet?

What makes this procedurally generated world different from others of its ilk? Yes, the immense amount of worlds is great, but it's nothing unless there's something that we the player can actively do.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I didn't see a hissy fit, though. Everyone is happy for the keen guy to get all worked up and to give the game the benefit of the doubt for days on end despite a definite lack of concrete info but as soon as someone says they want to know more or complains that there isn't enough info out there (with a little passion) then he or she is a hater and they are throwing a hissy fit.
There's a place for healthy skepticism here; for any unreleased game, obviously. The trap that too many of those still dubious about NMS fall into though is presenting the game as a complete enigma, already pre-judging it as some kind of bait-and-switch. They're operating mostly on confirmation bias and not really conveying the notion that they're interested in understanding what the game is so much as they're interested in reinforcing what they already think it isn't.

There are certainly others who are skeptical in a more constructive fashion. Rather than pre-suppose what the game is, they're asking legitimate questions, and generally people are engaging them in good faith and trying to provide answers to the best of our knowledge.

Unfortunately the former have done a much better job of making a meme of themselves in these threads.

Im excited for NMS

I am just beyond done with endless demos and stage shows

Its beyond time to just finish and release it. They should have only shown it once and saved the next showing for a release announcement

THEN you could have devoted a ton of time detailing the game

Instead we get a media blitz every year of the same damn shit

legacyzero

Banned
I'd seen this before but not at 60fps. Did they artificially speed it up or is the game running at that framerate? All the footage I'd seen previously was 30 - I assumed that's what we were getting
Hello Games have always loved 60 FPS. We have had a HUGE amount of 60 fps content coming to Youtube since it launched, especially on Firefox.

Gamersyde has uncompressed 60 FPS vids for No Man's sky that you can download as well :D

But that's what we've been shown for two years. Planets are procedurally generated, there is no loading as you fly from planet to planet. What my concern is, is what else can I do once I land on a planet?

What makes this procedurally generated world different from others of its ilk? Yes, the immense amount of worlds is great, but it's nothing unless there's something that we the player can actively do.

People who have been following this game for two years are a minority. They have to get across the main draw of the game to people hearing about it for the first time. We're on the same page for wanting more in depth gameplay videos, it's just you're way more skeptical about the things they've promised for some reason. The stuff they're talking about isn't even really unbelievable to imagine in a game.

It's sort of unfortunate that this game has had such a long pre-release. Most games of this type are just released with very little pre-release info and put out there for people to discover what it is for themselves.

DodgerSan

Yes, yes, yes, I need this game. I fucking need this game.

I want Sean Murray to succeed so fucking much.

His passion and vision are infectious.

Wow, that guy Brandon is pretty short-sighted. Everything out of his mouth was just dumb.

Totally agree. "How do I get a bigger gun?"

It's a hallmark of the younger gamer. They've grown up with progression systems and AAA spectacle so much that they cannot imagine playing a game just for the experience and joy of discovery.

Kinsella

Banned
Can we all at least agree that Shawn Murray is a refreshingly unique in the sea of random people with suits and PR speaks?

He has got this arrogant thing that is like the opposite arrogance of the Fez guy. He's suave arrogant and I love it.

I don't find him to be suave or arrogant. He seems aloof and frazzled all the time. I find that kinda endearing though. The more I see of the game, the more I want it.

Totally agree. "How do I get a bigger gun?"

It's a hallmark of the younger gamer. They've grown up with progression systems and AAA spectacle so much that they cannot imagine playing a game just for the experience and joy of discovery.

Hallmark of the younger gamer?

I thought since the Minecraft generation the assumption is the opposite

BigDug13

My problem with NMS so far is not with what we have seen, but with how it has been given such a large stage presence. If what you say is true, and I'm sure it is, then why has Sony given these guys so much attention? Why have they been given the stage so many times? If this is another minecraft, or another proteus (to be fair, I think there's already much more going on in NMS than proteus) then why is Sony making this such a big deal over any other indie?

Minecraft is fucking huge. If you think you have the next minecraft as a timed console exclusive, wouldn't you promote that heavily?

Squalor

I don't find him to be suave or arrogant. He seems aloof and frazzled all the time. I find that kinda endearing though. The more I see of the game, the more I want it.
He's a real-life Richard Hendricks (Silicon Valley) except he can still function in life.

Steel

Banned
Not to be a cynic, but I really think this game is going to flop. It might sell well given how hard Sony has backed it, but people will be disappointed. I just think it's been hyped too much and people ate expecting it to be something it's not, by no fault of the game or the developer.

Uggg, like Minecraft, I'm out.

Maybe it's an age thing, but I do not get Minecraft, AT ALL.

I think this quote actually answers your question. A lot of gamers think there's nothing to do in Minecraft that looks fun(completely the opposite imo), yet Minecraft sells gangbusters.

Syder

I haven't been following this game, all I know is I'm interested in it, I take it this isn't a 2015 game. Do we have any idea when this will be released or will we get another demonstration at E3 2016 and no further information.

Oxymoron

You've seen the videos, right? NMS is very visually striking, and the scope of the world makes great hype points. It's a great game to demo! It even gets the core audience excited despite not having any murder in it, which I'm sure is important internally.

Slixshot

Banned
Minecraft is fucking huge. If you think you have the next minecraft as a timed console exclusive, wouldn't you promote that heavily?

That's totally a fair point!! I truly hope it IS similar in scope!! Then all of the attention will be justified. My hype for this game remains fairly high and my expectations seem to be in check.

BUT if it's not that immense, and Sony is making a huge deal out of a game made by 4/5 people, then I can see people's frustrations and I can even see the annoyance that Sean Murray has when having to continually explain what the game is. I don't even think they ASKED for as much attention as they're getting. If you listen to him talk about the game, you can tell how much passion he has for the game and what it is: Space exploration. This is where I wouldn't have a problem with NMS, but with Sony over-promoting it.

People on GAF and the general gaming community continue to purchase games like Assassins Creed, Shadow of Mordor, Dragon Age which are simply games with gigantic checklists. It's what so many games come down to at this point. Even if it's disguised behind more interesting quests and actions. For people to see such an intriguing looking game like NMS and for it not to have a clear list of things to do is upsetting to many. But for others like myself, it's so refreshing. I have a job in real life, I don't need every game to continue to tell me what I need to do in order to feel accomplished. Sometimes I just want to get lost in a world (universe) and do whatever I feel like. Directionless and disconnected from any form of guidance, but I can chart my own path and explore for hours upon hours.

I've had similar experiences with ONLY Minecraft. That's the only game that has ever just let me go and that is made up of merely cubes. If NMS is able to scratch a similar itch, then I'm all in.

Top Bottom