• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New NSMBU+NSLU Wii U Bundle incoming (?)

Taichu

Oh wow, I was set to get the Wind Waker bundle this week, but I think I'll hold off in hopes that this comes to America. The New Super Mario and Luigi games are a much bigger draw than Wind Waker (again).

Sendou

People wanted a real game because Nintendoland was not good enough for them
--> zombiU , MH3G, ZeldaWW collector bundles

People want a price drop :
--> 299$/€

Nintendo makes a new bundle with 2 games for 299$/€
--> " it's too much expensive"
--> " dont want digital copies"

Oh boy.....

You're assuming that these are all the same people. That's not the case. You're also assuming that this bundle will be priced at 299€ which might or might not be the case. We don't really know. It might not even exist.

They should have done this a long time ago. Nintendo is going to dominate the holiday season.

I think they will dominated for a different reason. The Wii U will pick up but whats really important is the 2DS/3DS combo. They need to unleash some bundles and promote the hell out of them this holiday so they can see some ludicrous sales.

Metallix87

Nintendo would be really stupid if they don't have this bundle ready for Christmas in all territories.

Christmas? They'd be stupid if they didn't have it ready in all territories before November. Especially North America, what with Black Friday and all.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
They should have done this a long time ago. Nintendo is going to dominate the holiday season.

With the special design of the gamepad in the WW bundle, I imagine that's going to be one of Nintendo's super-limited runs. This looks like a bundle to get them through the holidays.

Rvaisse

You're assuming that these are all the same people. That's not the case. You're also assuming that this bundle will be priced at 299€ which might or might not be the case. We don't really know. It might not even exist.

Whatever.. What i meant is nintendo cańt make everyone happy anyway,
i don't get how people could be picky over a few dollars for a system they'll use for many years with 60$ games.

So I'd have to buy NintendoLand separately? Yeah, I think I can do that.

Also, does this come with the discs or are these the digital versions loaded? 32GB of hard drive space is not a lot..

What's the point of all these bundles if it's still going to be $300?

I am forced to agree. I am waiting for the $250 bundle, and I think that day will come within the next 16 months.

I will have a PS4 to keep me warm at night, and Nintendo has to bite the bullet and not take that full 16 months.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
So I'd have to buy NintendoLand separately? Yeah, I think I can do that.

Also, does this come with the discs or are these the digital versions loaded? 32GB of hard drive space is not a lot..

Almost certainly digital, like Wind Waker. And the NSMB games are pretty small (probably 3GB combined? Or less) but even the 32GB WiiU isn't really intended for downloading a ton of stuff without using external storage.

Metallix87

I am forced to agree. I am waiting for the $250 bundle, and I think that day will come within the next 16 months.

I will have a PS4 to keep me warm at night, and Nintendo has to bite the bullet and not take that full 16 months.

You've made up your mind. You see a $400 system with an overall weaker lineup as more worthy of it's price than a $300 system that comes w/ two games and will have a pretty solid lineup by the Holidays. Is $50 really going to change all that much? You're basically paying $220 for the system with this bundle anyway, and you can probably get it even cheaper courtesy of Black Friday.

I swear, some people are just being absurd with their price point desires.

khaaan

--> 299$/€

Oh boy.....

It's $299 after a price drop? lawl

I'm getting one this Winter either way, already have 3D World pre-ordered. This bundle could be cool but if I can get another SKU for cheaper then I'm going to go with that.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games

Huh? Why would they do a bundle for less than they are selling the console by itself? Or are you asking for another price drop?

antonz

It's $299 after a price drop? lawl

I'm getting one this Winter either way, already have 3D World pre-ordered. This bundle could be cool but if I can get another SKU for cheaper then I'm going to go with that.

The 299 basic sold like crap so they cut the price of the deluxe to 299 and packed in some extra goodies.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Agreed. I never would have bought it on my own but I had a lot of fun with it since it was the pack in. I just wish Nintendo would offer something to the loyal few who bought day one. A price drop less than a year later is kind of messed up. Surprised there aren't more clamoring for an ambassador program. He'll, just give me ten bucks in Nintendo points and I'd be happy.

The 30 cent games were the early adopter reward. $7.70 off games like Super Metroid?! Amazing.

Calamari41

41 > 38
You've made up your mind. You see a $400 system with an overall weaker lineup as more worthy of it's price than a $300 system that comes w/ two games and will have a pretty solid lineup by the Holidays. Is $50 really going to change all that much? You're basically paying $220 for the system with this bundle anyway, and you can probably get it even cheaper courtesy of Black Friday.

Hint: most of the people saying "lol maybe at $150" never intend to buy one at any price. They are dogpiling.

HardRojo

The casuals don't give a shit about specs. Why would they buy a PS4 for 400 dollars with no game when they can buy a Wii U with Mario for under 300? You also seem to be forgetting about the 3DS, which will probably sell better than all three consoles combined.

Man, what kind of bubble do you live in? The 3DS is a beast of its own but it's not competing directly with the home consoles.
The Wii U doesn't only have to worry about PS4 and XBO (preorder numbers should tell you how much of a threat they are so I don't know how you can type that first line with a straight face) because PS3 and 360 are still selling relatively better than it, bringing up the 3DS in this discussion has no meaning, it's like mentioning how the PS4 will underperform because the Vita isn't selling well.

Metallix87

Hint: most of the people saying "lol maybe at $150" never intend to buy one at any price. They are dogpiling.

Oh, I know. It's just ridiculous that it's still such a common line of thought. $300 is not that expensive for a new game system, especially when it comes bundled with two high profile games.

Rocky

Banned

As Sendou said, we don't know if that bundle is going to sell for $300. I could definitely see them pricing a bundle with 2 games a bit higher than $300.

Metallix87

As Sendou said, we don't know if that bundle is going to sell for $300. I could definitely see them pricing a bundle with 2 games a bit higher than $300.

I'd say there's almost no chance of that happening. If this bundle is coming, it's their big Holiday bundle, and it will be $300 for sure, and possibly have a Black Friday deal with a $20 gift card or something at select retailers.

BlackJace

They're going in this fall/holiday.

No domination, but they should enjoy a nice holiday and keep up momentum until the Mario Kart 8 bomb drops.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Wow this is definitely the best next-gen gaming deal this holiday. Would buy if I didnt already own a Wii U.

HardRojo

I forgot to mention, if they release this bundle on Black Friday for $250 then I'll jump in and get this instead of the 360 I've been wanting to get for my fighting games, provided that the games are physical, WW HD coming as a DD on its bundle put me off immediately, otherwise I would've gotten it.

You're basically paying $220 for the system with this bundle anyway,

AWh6NuA.jpg

Especially if the titles in question are included digitally.

Calamari41

41 > 38
I'd say there's almost no chance of that happening. If this bundle is coming, it's their big Holiday bundle, and it will be $300 for sure, and possibly have a Black Friday deal with a $20 gift card or something at select retailers.

Especially since the games are most likely digital. It is basically free for Nintendo to include them. Yeah they are technically losing the sale of the standalone game, but if it's between that and someone just straight up not buying the system at all, I think the choice is easy.

Metallix87

Oh bundles absolutely DO work that way. Even if included digitally, you're still getting $80 worth of games with your system, and that value is evident to any consumer. Whether they're interested in the games or not is another story, but the "deal factor" is very real.

mr stroke

The 150 figure is a bit extreme, but 300 is still too much.

+1

Nintendo should lose money at $199 with the pack in, Salvage what they can at this point and gather as many new Wii U users as possible.

$299 even with the NSMBWU pack-in, it will do little to nothing IMO. You could find Basic Wii U's and NSMB for $300 on sale all of 2013 and that did nothing so I assume this will be the same.

MisterHero

--> 299$/€

Oh boy.....

New Super Mario and Luigi are special cases though. It would be disappointing to some fans after going out of their way to have uniquely colored boxes. :p

Metallix87

Nintendo should lose money at $199 with the pack in, Salvage what they can at this point and gather as many new Wii U users as possible.

$299 even with the NSMBWU pack in with doing little to nothing IMO. You could find Basic Wii U's and NSMB for $300 on sale all of 2013 and that did nothing so I assume this will be the same.

1.) These are Deluxe systems, not Basics, which nobody wanted.

2.) This isn't just NSMBU, it's that and it's expansion / follow-up.

3.) Nintendo was losing money on the system at $350. They're losing even more at $300. There's NO REASON for them to go to $199 and bleed money just to price below Xbox 360 and PS4, older systems on the decline.

Oh bundles absolutely DO work that way. Even if included digitally, you're still getting $80 worth of games with your system, and that value is evident to any consumer. Whether they're interested in the games or not is another story, but the "deal factor" is very real.
No I would not be. I'd be getting something I can't lend, trade or sell and is costing Nintendo absolutely nothing in including.

drspeedy

Bingo. If this bundle comes to America before black friday, Nintendo will move ALOT of systems.

Still a tough sell at $300, and yes, that's because there's going to be stiff competition this year- between the 2 new consoles, and their 2 old consoles being put out there as a cheaper option, Ninty has plenty to worry about.

Plus I can see more confusions here:

"why does junior want another Wii?"

"Why does this Wii come with 2 of the same game, but one is green?"

Darryl

Banned
http://i.imgur.com/AWh6NuA.jpg

If you were planning to buy the games with the console, I don't see why it shouldn't work that way. That's how I've always looked at it. A $99 GBC with Pokemon Yellow got the games discounted from the console in my mind. It was like I was buying a $70 console. I don't see how my mind could work that any other way. There's no way for me to pretend that the game included has zero value in the purchase price if I'm willing to put a price tag on it myself.

When I looked at the $350 Deluxe bundle last Holiday, I thought of it as a $300 console, $50 for the game, and a bunch of bonus shit for buying them together. I didn't value the bonus stuff (didn't even know what it was) but I knew I had value for the game and I accepted the higher price because of it.

Metallix87

No I would not be. I'd be getting something I can't lend, trade or sell and is costing Nintendo absolutely nothing in including.

The entire point of digital is not letting you trade or sell your games. They don't want to devalue their own software, but still want to give you an incentive to buy. As for lending, let's be square here: Anyone who has a Wii U will sooner or later own NSMBU, so that's a moot point.

Last, there's it not costing Nintendo anything. That's false. It's costing them the sale of those two games. You're much less likely to go out and buy retail copies of those games, since you have access to the downloads.

antonz

The entire point of digital is not letting you trade or sell your games. They don't want to devalue their own software, but still want to give you an incentive to buy. As for lending, let's be square here: Anyone who has a Wii U will sooner or later own NSMBU, so that's a moot point.

Last, there's it not costing Nintendo anything. That's false. It's costing them the sale of those two games. You're much less likely to go out and buy retail copies of those games, since you have access to the downloads.

Many Bundles these days come with a special not for resale copy of a game anyways that retailers wont take in a trade. I know when I bought my Black Ops PS3 way back my Black Ops was that way Barcode was a giant Not For Resale sign and no one would take it in for a trade. Yeah you can still trade with a person but not retail

Usobuko

Banned
I might consider to import if it's available in NA too. The Black Deluxe Wii U is ~ US $400 in my country and doesn't seem to drop any soon. 500GB PS3 Super Slim is more than $100 cheaper.

Rocky

Banned
Many Bundles these days come with a special not for resale copy of a game anyways that retailers wont take in a trade. I know when I bought my Black Ops PS3 way back my Black Ops was that way Barcode was a giant Not For Resale sign and no one would take it in for a trade. Yeah you can still trade with a person but not retail

Gamestop most certainly does take "not for resale" copies. They sell both NFR Zelda collections that were released for GCN as preorder bonuses. They go for 29.99 each.

Calamari41

41 > 38
The point is that the mother shopping for her kid isn't going to stop and worry about Nintendo's digital policy or the fact that she can't resell the bundled Mario game.

Metallix87

Are you being serious? You can definitely resell those to shops.

x-Lundz-x

Lol..no. Bundles will provide a small bump in sales but PS4 and Xbox will absolutely destroy Wii U in sales. It won't even be close.

Now if Nintendo had a new NEW Zelda game, smash bros, Mario kart, and a a new mario party type game AND they dropped the price to 249 they might have a chance.

Bundle is cool for those interested though.

TomServo

I've bitched about the price, but $299 USD for this bundle would be enough for me. NSMBU is a must-buy for me, so thus is basically a $60-$50 price drop.

Top Bottom