• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nvidia RTX 4000 Adola Lovelace Cards Announced | RTX 4090 (1599$) October 12th | RTX 4080 (1199$)

Ulysses 31

450W Max.
We have seen that upping the Wattage basically does nothing to performance this generation, and even on the 4x8 pins connecting just 3 works just as good.

In the event I get a 4090 or 4080Ti, I for sure will only be using 3x8 pin for 450W.
I never want the card going over that.
I did see a video where you could pump up 33% more voltage when the 4th pin was connected via OC/monitoring software.

Here:

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Oh god, we already had the 400% zoom analysis for DLSS 2 artifacts, and now we’re going to see games slowed down to 3% to see DLSS 3 frame generation artifacts…

kill me now barney stinson GIF

zcaa0g

Banned
Instability with overclocking, incredible bios issues caused from Gigabyte ineptitude, security vulnerabilities forcing people into semi-broken TPM functionality.

Maybe it’s just AM4, but then I look at their Intel forums…

Ah, I don't overclock. I'm currently using the Gigabyte Auros Master Z690 and it's been great. I really needed to have 2 free pcie slots for an extra USB 3x card and a SATA card because I run a lot of USB devices, USB hubs, and SATA drives besides the use of the onboard NVME slots.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I did see a video where you could pump up 33% more voltage when the 4th pin was connected via OC/monitoring software.

Here:

Yeah that does basically nothing for performance.
In fact.
The current general consensus is that Nvidia is basically over powering these cards for no good reason and has shipped founders editions pre-overclocked (to fuck AIBs obviously).
At 350W the card is still stable and incredibly fast, and it would probably fit into 2.x slot coolers without issue.
If AIBs had this knowledge prior, we would be seeing much much smaller 4090s with only 3x8pin purely for transience but not because the card actually needs 450W.

Can you imagine what the launch would have looked like if they released these things as 2.x slot card with "normal" coolers and a TDP of 350W?
We would still be blown away by the performance and would be praising Nvidia on finally actually being efficient.
Instead we are getting fearmongered by the 450W base TDP and 3.x slot monsters that are the size of PS2s.

DerBauers testing:
5HlMrIk.png

FSdreO2.png

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Well I scored a Zotac. I was too impatient to try waiting again for an FE and failing so I pulled the trigger on their site. Odd having it go live at 5:40 AM but it did and the order went through. Zotac now charges tax :( outside of CA but shipping was free so it came in at just under 1700.
Cancelled the Zotac because I scored on Amazon. 5% plus I can return if need be without a restocking fee or shipping. Now I have to wait a couple of weeks.

DeaDPo0L84

Available at the time of this posting, ships late November.

MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 24GB GDRR6X 384-Bit HDMI/DP Nvlink Tri-Frozr 3 Ada Lovelace Architecture Graphics Card (RTX 4090 Gaming Trio 24G) https://a.co/d/856RLAO

Last edited:

benno

Could be a CPU bottleneck. What CPU do you have?
I've just done a fresh wipe of windows and hit 90fps, slight improvement but still 10fps out.
I have a i9 10900x HEDT CPU. Will prob upgrade it though once the new ones come out later.
I don't think it's the CPU, can't be. I have quad channel mem which only goes to 3000 or 3200mhz , can't remember now, could be that.
Checked bios, I have all 4x PCIe lanes set to x16 so not that either.
Baffled.

Furmark score is about right to what's reported elsewhere, which is odd.

Last edited:

Fredrik

I’m looking at a Zotac 4090 Gaming Trinity, was up for lottery at launch but is now sitting in stock. Is it bad? Why isn’t it selling out like every other card?

Ulysses 31

Yeah that does basically nothing for performance.
In fact.
The current general consensus is that Nvidia is basically over powering these cards for no good reason and has shipped founders editions pre-overclocked (to fuck AIBs obviously).
At 350W the card is still stable and incredibly fast, and it would probably fit into 2.x slot coolers without issue.
If AIBs had this knowledge prior, we would be seeing much much smaller 4090s with only 3x8pin purely for transience but not because the card actually needs 450W.

Can you imagine what the launch would have looked like if they released these things as 2.x slot card with "normal" coolers and a TDP of 350W?
We would still be blown away by the performance and would be praising Nvidia on finally actually being efficient.
Instead we are getting fearmongered by the 450W base TDP and 3.x slot monsters that are the size of PS2s.

DerBauers testing:
5HlMrIk.png

FSdreO2.png
You know there's hardcore PCMRers out there who'd gladly pull 150W more for 15 more fps. :messenger_winking_tongue:

Last edited:

Fredrik

It's the largest card in girth so my guess many couldn't fit in their cases.
Good point 👍
But then I’m surprised, I thought it was scalpers who scooped up all the cards, not actual gamers with actual cases that might not fit the card.

Black_Stride

I’m looking at a Zotac 4090 Gaming Trinity, was up for lottery at launch but is now sitting in stock. Is it bad? Why isn’t it selling out like every other card?
Zotac are consistently the worst AIB you can buy.
Hotter, Louder, Uglier, Coil Whinier, historically inexplicably perform worse than reference boards and Quality Control is hit and miss, with miss being a big miss.
Even their review samples will sometimes go out with thermal pads misaligned, customers have opened their cards wondering why memory was throttling only to find out the pad is missing entirely.

They do have a good warranty but ive never met anyone who used their RMA process, I always just tell people if you can return it for store credit, go with another AIB.

I know its not ALL Zotac cards someone will post I bought a Zotac and it was great....yes some will come with everything intact, but statistically they are they worst card you can buy.
Others say it was great simply cuz they dont know what greatness is.
You know there's hardcore PCMRers out there who'd cladly pull 150W more for 15 more fps. :messenger_winking_tongue:
5fps for 150W+ isnt a good deal.
But, that is what overclocking is for, overclockers dont actually care about game performance, its to get the highest score in synthetics, which are very sensitive to overclocks, which is why youll see in 3DMark you can gain something like 20+fps by breaking the powerlimit.
In an actual game or pretty much any application, that amounts to near nothing.
Nvidia shipping the cards pre-overclocked is just another FU to AIBs.

FingerBang

4090 are still in stock in my country!!
Dance Party Reaction GIF

enGFWzJ.png

Sad Oh No GIF
Good luck selling them at that price.

It's now clear how the $1599 was bullshit and I don't expect to see any restock of those MSRP cards in the near future. I bet whatever you want they'll be in stock everywhere by mid November.

Fredrik

It's now clear how the $1599 was bullshit and I don't expect to see any restock of those MSRP cards in the near future. I bet whatever you want they'll be in stock everywhere by mid November.
It’s roughly the same price in my country. Sold out everywhere.
Those I’ve seen in stock is Zotac, Palit , Gainward. All the MSI, ASUS, Gigabyte are sold out. They’ve even stopped taking preorders in most cases.

Midn1ght

Well, at least scalpers won't try to rip us off this time, right?
Donald Trump GIF by reactionseditor

R1patUE.png

Bill Murray Yes GIF

Last edited:

FingerBang

Those I’ve seen in stock is Zotac, Palit , Gainward. All the MSI, ASUS, Gigabyte are sold out. They’ve even stopped taking preorders in most cases.
That's also because objectively only "hardcore" gamers are going to buy 4090s and those people are most likely not spending 2000+ euros on a Palit.

Well, at least scalpers won't try to rip us off this time, right?
Donald Trump GIF by reactionseditor

R1patUE.png

Bill Murray Yes GIF
GOOD! I hope those motherfuckers struggle to sell those and are forced to take a loss.

😂

skneogaf

I don't believe anyone needs to buy a 4090 from a scalper.

Surely it's a small percentage that wants to buy one for their pc in comparison to a 4080 variant.

Black_Stride

To add to my point earlier.
I just saw a teardown of the Zotac 4090.

Like clockwork these fuckers cant get the quality control to do their damn jobs.
And this isnt something they can fix quickly, or you could even finagle yourself.........their Vapor Chamber doesnt fit their own PCB?
HOW???!?!?!?!
memfail1.jpg

memfail2.jpg

Zotac never misses a chance to make the bottom of the barrel much much further down.

sendit

I don't like what im hearing about DLSS 3:

'60 fps feels like 30 fps'..
'DLSS 3 120 fps feels more like 60 fps'
Useless for competitive games
DLSS 3 looks worse than DLSS2 performance mode..

Ok, wtf.

That isn't really a good look for the 4000 series primary selling point. Looks bad.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Any 4090 owners interested in running a benchmark on their card at pcie 4.0 and then 3.0 to see if it makes a difference?

winjer

Gold Member
To add to my point earlier.
I just saw a teardown of the Zotac 4090.

Like clockwork these fuckers cant get the quality control to do their damn jobs.
And this isnt something they can fix quickly, or you could even finagle yourself.........their Vapor Chamber doesnt fit their own PCB?
HOW???!?!?!?!
memfail1.jpg

memfail2.jpg

Zotac never misses a chance to make the bottom of the barrel much much further down.

I only had one Zotac card. A Radeon 7970, almost 10 years ago. Had it a couple of days and sent it back for a refund.
Really bad quality product. Loud, hot and bad all around.
Curious that they maintain their quality (low) standards.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
4090 ain't lighting fires here in Aus.

Only base clocks are sold out and it appears people aren't particularly interested in paying $500 more for a 45mhz OC.
That's how it should be. Hopefully the vast majority of us don't buy the shitty oc cards and nvidia and AIBs have no option but to look at pricing.

Founders edition seems the best option but will be a unicorn. I decided to hang fire, passed on the strix and ill either not get the standard ASUS TUF or get a founders edition or nothing at all. If nvidia don't need my money they don't need it I just hope enough of us think the same lol.

Fredrik

Never gave a shit about DLSS3 before ordering mine. I only game at native 4K. Card performs pretty well at that res.
Yeah that’s a serious selling point tbh, 60+ fps without DLSS at highest visual settings. Sooner or later DLSS is a must though but afaik DLSS2 is still usable on the new card which isn’t adding latency and broken frames the same way.

Last edited:

daninthemix

That isn't really a good look for the 4000 series primary selling point. Looks bad.
It's main selling point is the insane performance uplift on both rasterised and ray traced material - 70% more than a 3090Ti, which was itself miles ahead of everything else.

DLSS3 can be refined into an essential value-add within the first couple of years, just like DLSS1 was (that looked rough at the start as well).

GymWolf

Yeah, the third AIO fan is probably going to create negative pressure. I only have 2 fans on my AIO exhaust so 3 Front intake fans and 1 rear work well with it.

That said, Ive seen vids where the side intake and exhaust dont really make a difference in overall thermals.
What case should i buy for the new build?? Possibly something with enough fans so i don't have to buy others to integrate.

I heard li lian, fractal design, phanteks and corsair are 4 good case brands but they have so many models...

I kinda want a full tower to make the parts breath a little, i never liked how crammed they are in a mid tower.

Last edited:

benno

Any 4090 owners interested in running a benchmark on their card at pcie 4.0 and then 3.0 to see if it makes a difference?

What case should i buy for the new build??
I'm going for a Thermaltake The Tower Mid, once I get a new CPU

Last edited:

GymWolf

I'm going for a Thermaltake The Tower Mid, once I get a new CPU

Wow, does it have all the fans i see in the pics included??

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
What case should i buy for the new build?? Possibly something with enough fans so i don't have to buy others to integrate.

I heard li lian, fractal design, phanteks and corsair are 4 good case brands but they have so many models...

I kinda want a full tower to make the parts breath a little, i never liked how crammed they are in a mid tower.
For air cooling, Fractal Torrent is king and it comes fully loaded with fans. Lian Li Lancool III is another good choice.

GymWolf

For air cooling, Fractal Torrent is king and it comes fully loaded with fans. Lian Li Lancool III is another good choice.
Is the name of the case fractal torrent without other numbers or letters?

Edit: ok this thing could very be my next case, finger crossed for a discount during black friday.

Is it big enough to have ZERO problem with a series 4000 and cable management?

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

I use the Cooler Master C700M and things won't have trouble fitting in there.

cooler-master-cosmos-c700m.jpg

2002232051.jpeg

Cooler-Master-COSMOS-C700M-review-rig-assembly_3.jpg

06CPEG8r2joGKUxnTxm36m8-50.v_1569469966.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom