• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Overwatch update filters "gg ez" into different, hilarious phrases

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
If shadder2k's broadcast today was any indication, people will spam GG EZ just to see these lines now.

Blizzard's about to get Streisanded. It's funny because they already experienced this with "Well Played!" in Hearthstone, which they switched out for "Wow!".

jediyoshi

If shadder2k's broadcast today was any indication, people will spam GG EZ just to see these lines now.

Blizzard's about to get Streisanded. It's funny because they already experienced this with "Well Played!" in Hearthstone, which they switched out for "Wow!".

Pretty sure that's why the exact messages they came up with are so much less ambiguous and largely self deprecating.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
not sure if that's how it works

8utz5AY.png
:D
Pretty sure that's why the exact messages they came up with are so much less ambiguous and largely self deprecating.

Yeah, but that doesn't account for irony. "Well played" was used ironically/sardonically as well.

TheRed

Lol this is great. I didn't know so many people took it that harshly, I always take it as a joke and it's really an admission of game was hard, get a chuckle and move on. If I did get stomped and it was ez it doesn't bother me at all.

Pineconn

Oh okay. I mean, that's fine, more power to ya. It's just that it doesn't even matter and Blizzard isn't going to take action on some dude saying ez. But whatever makes you feel better I guess.

They should. Riot takes action against people who say "EZ" constantly. They've done research and concluded that the player base doesn't like being taunted for losing. Thus, I also report people in LoL/OW for saying that.

duckroll

Why? Do people really get that bent out of shape over such a benign insult?

Why? Because it's funny. This is the laziest low effort insult people use at the end of a match, so having it filtered into random funny lines instead takes the edge off what might be an even more frustrating experience for people who just lost a game. If it makes everyone stop for a moment to have a laugh before the next game loads, instead of getting even more upset and having a worse mindset going into the next game, it's a net positive.

Vire

This is hands down the best one:

"I'm wrestling with some insecurity issues in my life but thank you all for playing with me."

pigeon

Banned
Oh okay. I mean, that's fine, more power to ya. It's just that it doesn't even matter and Blizzard isn't going to take action on some dude saying ez. But whatever makes you feel better I guess.

Reporting "ez" gets people punished in League of Legends, because the community team uses reports as a measure of what the community deems unacceptable. That's generally the principle on which I use the reporting system.

edit: Pineconn owned me.

Acerac

Banned
Lol this is great. I didn't know so many people took it that harshly, I always take it as a joke and it's really an admission of game was hard, get a chuckle and move on. If I did get stomped and it was ez it doesn't bother me at all.
It's not that it's a big deal, douchebags are everywhere. At the same time, nobody wants to deal with the annoyance of hearing them, you know?

Its like seeing somebody tossing their fast food trash outside of their car after eating. It's no big deal, just an asshole move that deserves to be made fun of.

Syntax

This is only funny if they don't realize it's there. All the same, not a bad way to do it.

It's not that it's a big deal, douchebags are everywhere. At the same time, nobody wants to deal with the annoyance of hearing them, you know?

Its like seeing somebody tossing their fast food trash outside of their car after eating. It's no big deal, just an asshole move that deserves to be made fun of.

Running into poor sports - ungraceful victors and losers - isn't uncommon. They always seem like they're throwing tantrums or otherwise crying out for attention. Similarly, the best thing I think anyone can do is ignore them, deny them any reaction to what they're saying.

I've run into troll players in Overwatch that, when actions failed, resorted to verbal or written harassment in attempts to elicit response.

duckroll

Is GG Ez a common shit post in the overwatch community? I'm guessing ggwp and similar are still okay?

I have played for over 80 hours and I see it at least once in every 3 games or so.

Gotta agree with this. Blizzard has over-reached here.

If I get stomped, a mocking "gg ez" is something I both accept and deserve.

I can't remember ever seeing a "gg ez" from being stomped in a game before. Honestly. When we get stomped, or when we stomp the other team, what I usually see is people going "lol what happened there" or "wow". Once I remember someone on the other team going "thanks for the free win" or whatever. But every single time I see "gg ez" it is from dumbasses who barely managed to win in Overtime after a hard fought match.

duckroll

That's pretty insane actually, I play a lot of CSGO and don't really see Ez spammed a lot.

No that insane. I expect the demographics to be different. CSGO's lifespan is very mature now, and it was a remake of an oldass game to begin with. Overwatch is brand new, and attractive enough to draw in tons of people including younger audiences who can't help themselves.

Does reporting actually do anything? I don't mind most stupid trash talk, though annoying, but the homophobic stuff pisses me off. I've reported players for using the f-word, which I'm a bit shocked isn't censored in the game like other curse words. Sometimes it's used over voice chat, I don't know if Blizzard even has the ability to go back and listen to the chat after a match is over. I assume that looking at a chat record of the match is relatively easier. Like I said, spamming "gg ez" and such is lame but what can you do, but homophobic language is just not something I need to incessantly hear or interact with. It's not even smarmy kids on voice chat saying this stuff, it's always very clearly grown adult men. One guy was a too-old-for-this bro trying to make a video for what he claimed was an in-gestation Youtube channel so he kept screeching "Pokemon!" and calling everyone homophobic slurs. So funny! Ah, the charmed life of a content creator™.

pigeon

Banned
Like I said, spamming "gg ez" and such is lame but what can you do

You can filter it out and replace it with insulting self-owns, or you can just chat restrict and ban those people!

Like it's not rocket science, if a behavior results in consequences people will do it less.

Skux

And then there's the Streisand Effect. Blizzard has taken this meaningless phrase that people say after games, and turned it into something that needs to be censored and suppressed. That of course will only make people spam it more, and find creative ways to get around it, and think of different ways to insult people.

You can filter it out and replace it with insulting self-owns, or you can just chat restrict and ban those people!

Like it's not rocket science, if a behavior results in consequences people will do it less.

Absolutely, I was more just talking about community "trash talk" that I personally find more upsetting and disappointing.

duckroll

Absolutely, I was more just talking about community "trash talk" that I personally find more upsetting and disappointing.

Using homophobic slurs and throwing personal insults around is not just "trash talk". That's the sort of thing people should be reported for, and people do get banned for being abusive.

Using homophobic slurs and throwing personal insults around is not just "trash talk". That's the sort of thing people should be reported for, and people do get banned for being abusive.

Yes, I definitely agree. That's why I put trash talk in quotes. Sorry if that didn't come across.

Acerac

Banned
And then there's the Streisand Effect. Blizzard has taken this meaningless phrase that people say after games, and turned it into something that needs to be censored and suppressed. That of course will only make people spam it more, and find creative ways to get around it, and think of different ways to insult people.

Douchebags are going to be douchebags either way, you're right. That said, many people think that their behavior is widely accepted, it's nice to have it publicly out there that even Blizzard employees think they are acting like unlikable jerkasses.

jediyoshi

Yeah, but that doesn't account for irony. "Well played" was used ironically/sardonically as well.

"Well Played" isn't meant ironically in Heartstone, it's meant to be genuine. That's the point. There's less ambiguity because they steep the messages in more context to lessen the "impact", it's several more steps removed, especially if it's self deprecating. Someone sarcastically saying that they're bad or that they need a hug removes the targeted aspect of communication.

This is amazing. Hope they do the same for stuff like "bg", "easy" and maybe even find a way to replace instances of "noob team" and the like.

I already put people who wrote shit like that on my mute list instantly. Show some good damn sportsmanship, man.
If the round was almost ten minutes long and you defended like shit before the last thirty seconds it sure as hell was not easy for you fucker to win that match.

I have never seen or at least taken a "well played" to be meant ironically. I actually take and give those as a genuine compliment. If someone played so bad that he might as well have been the sole reason why our team lost then I tell him, but in a way that doesn't sound like his a piece of shit, but a person with untapped talent.

I find it important in general to give players tips on how to improve themselves instead of just telling them what a shit player they are and that they should stop playing immediately. As I said: sportsmanship. Everyone was worse once than they are now.

Kent

I find it hilarious that so many people seem to have a problem with taking action on what's really just a toxic corruption of the equivalent of shaking hands after a match.

Even when that action is nothing more than making fun of the people saying it - which is one of the better ways of handling it.

Moonkeis

I think it's hilarious what Blizzard did. It's annoying to see in game but it doesn't bother me much. What does as others have mentioned is racist comments and out of line verbal abuse, I've had to report a few players because they just went too far.

Top Bottom