• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New pic of Pennywise from "IT" (2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's an old leaked picture of Pennywise that I saved before it was taken down.

As somebody that hates clowns, this image doesn't freak me out at all. Tim Curry's look was amazing. It was perfect actually.

What's with this trend in Hollywood that they feel the need to over design their characters that stray too far from the original source material? Compare Leatherface, Optimus Prime, TMNT, Power Rangers etc....to their OG versions and its just too much. Some movies get it spot on like Spiderman, Deadpool and even Freddy Kruger 2009 (despite it not being played by Robert Englund) all kept the look true to the original designs.

Spoo

Another poster?

17632177_1388557637831190_3930730815628374813_o.jpg

Yeah, I was shocked when I heard of it as well. Apparently they were panicking in the sewers and so to calm them down the girl let them all...You know.

It's not really to calm them.
They were losing their special connection and "powers" after they defeat It. They aren't super heroes or anything, but they each have something special going on. It's kind of hard to explain. Once It is defeated, their bond starts to break. None of them really understand sex, but she knows it's something special that will reconnect them. It works, and afterwards the navigator of the group can find their way out of the sewers.

The idea makes sense. But, yeah, he should have thought of something other than a gang bang.

Yeah...it is odd. King says now he would do the scene in the sewer differently if he could, but I get what he was going for.
Once they "vanquished" It, the power that helped them and bound them together started to fade. This was the power that led them through the maze of the sewers, and without it they were lost trying to get out. Beth comes to the realization she needs to re-ignite those bonds, and decides sex is the best way. It is supposed to work as a metaphor, going from kids to adults from not only the horror they just fought, but through the act of sex as well.

A quote from King:

I wasn't really thinking of the sexual aspect of it. The book dealt with childhood and adulthood --1958 and Grown Ups. The grown ups don't remember their childhood. None of us remember what we did as children--we think we do, but we don't remember it as it really happened. Intuitively, the Losers knew they had to be together again. The sexual act connected childhood and adulthood. It's another version of the glass tunnel that connects the children's library and the adult library. Times have changed since I wrote that scene and there is now more sensitivity to those issues.

Yeah...it is odd. King says now he would do the scene in the sewer differently if he could, but I get what he was going for.
Once they "vanquished" It, the power that helped them and bound them together started to fade. This was the power that led them through the maze of the sewers, and without it they were lost trying to get out. Beth comes to the realization she needs to re-ignite those bonds, and decides sex is the best way. It is supposed to work as a metaphor, going from kids to adults from not only the horror they just fought, but through the act of sex as well.

The act of "becoming adult" also kind of ties the two timelines, which at this point in the book are running almost parallel to each other, together.

But yeah it's hard to justify.

Krowley

Once they "vanquished" It, the power that helped them and bound them together started to fade. This power let them through the maze of the sewers, and without it they were lost trying to get out. Beth comes to realization she needs to re-ignite those bonds, and decides sex is the best way. It is supposed to work as a metaphor, going from kids to adults from not only the horror they just fought, but through the act of sex as well.

Basically it's part of the "Magic System" that drives the fantasy elements in the story.
The act is a bonding ritual to reconnect them to the universal god-force or whatever.

The scene was genuinely shocking and somewhat disturbing, but I think that was part of the intent. These are just kids but they are caught up in a serious-business ADULT situation, and in order to survive they have to resort to extreme behaviors.

There are definitely arguments for why he shouldn't have put it in. He definitely crossed a line. But I think from a purely artistic perspective the scene works. It hits hard and communicates a huge amount of emotional and thematic subtext.

At the end of the day, I would be 100% ok with the sex scene IF King didn't go into so much detail. I'm still kind of OKay with it, but I really didn't need to read about all of their spastic thrusts and quivering.

I really hope this manages to skirt my expectations but they just fucked up Pennywise so bad. He should look like a normal clown not this weird monster goblin clown hybrid.

And casting a young guy to play him is just weird.

You know what? That little teaser was pretty nice. I like the vibe.

I don't think I like this take on Pennywise from an aesthetic perspective, but there are other ways this movie could end up being awesome.
Agreed on all points. Not a fan of design, but that teaser of a teaser was enough to get me excited. I love It, and am just excited to see him again.

Will this be in the film?

Of course not. My guess is we'll jump from them defeating It, to them outside or something. In a movie where their fight with It will surely be the end, it doesn't make much sense to have them get lost in the sewers after. It works in the book cause it isn't the end. Would be rather anti-climatic in this movie where the kids and adult stories have been completely separated.

_Isaac

As somebody that hates clowns, this image doesn't freak me out at all. Tim Curry's look was amazing. It was perfect actually.

What's with this trend in Hollywood that they feel the need to over design their characters that stray too far from the original source material? Compare Leatherface, Optimus Prime, TMNT, Power Rangers etc....to their OG versions and its just too much. Some movies get it spot on like Spiderman, Deadpool and even Freddy Kruger 2009 (despite it not being played by Robert Englund) all kept the look true to the original designs.
Isn't the newer one closer to the original design though?

Pennywise's design in this really intriguing IMO, rather than being the run-of-the-mill normal clown like in the TV movie, this one actually shows how long IT has existed.

While I'm not as interested as when Cary Fukunaga' was attached, I hope this adaption turns out well.

Pennywise's design in this really intriguing IMO, rather than being the run-of-the-mill normal clown like in the TV movie, this one actually shows how long IT has existed.

While I'm not as interested as when Cary Fukunaga' was attached, I hope this adaption turns out well.

It has existed since like the Middle Ages?

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
Hopefully we get to see glimpses of Pennywise' other forms. It would be really lame for It to stay a clown most of the time.

I thought IT predated the universe since he was rivals with The Turtle and thought it died after it coughed up the universe?
Yeah, and even if you don't go cosmic, It in Its current form on earth dates back to the prehistoric era - the two kids see it land on earth in a vision, and it's pretty clearly a Jurassic type environment.

wow, so it's a calming gangbang scene? holy shit. what the fuck. ..
The gang is lost and something something turning inward to come together by Bev banging each of the guys, and that's what leads them to be able to leave the sewers. It's really effed up. Love the book, but the young kids gangbanging was really out there.

Anung

Un Rama
Wasn't King on bucket loads of booze and cocaine back then so he thought letting the gang run a train on Bev was acceptable?

It has existed since like the Middle Ages?
Well, here be spoilers:

The thing is, it didn't interact with people in the Middle Ages, or more appropriately, people that would be familiar with that "style" of clown. It has lived in Maine since the prehistoric age, hence it would've never come in contact with medieval European folk (it s an American monster). Prior to the settlers, it probably hunted the Native Americans that inhabited the area and appeared to them in forms that would've drawn their fear out, then when the White settlers settled (hehehe) in the area and Derry was founded, it started to pick them off and used THEIR fears to take new forms.

To go back to Galactic Specter's "run-of-the-mill normal clown", that was the point. He wasn't supposed to look alien or ancient, but familiar to those in the "modern"(or, modern at the point) era. This is why Bozo, Clarabell and Ronald McDonald were referenced, as Bozo and Clarabell were familiar in the 50s (Bozo was still familiar even through the 80s) and Ronald McDonald was widely known and familiar by the 80s (especially with all those classic McDonaldland commercials).

zeemumu

Do you think this'll tie into Dark Tower at all to create the Stephen King cinematic universe? I know most of his books are connected in some form. Derry comes up a few other times elsewhere

Hopefully we get to see glimpses of Pennywise' other forms. It would be really lame for It to stay a clown most of the time.
Surely we will. In the TV movie, we at least see the werewolf...which was clearly a dude in a mask. I can't remember if we ever get a mummy...? I really hope we get some of the more outlandish stuff.

zeemumu

Surely we will. In the TV movie, we at least see the werewolf...which was clearly a dude in a mask. I can't remember if we ever get a mummy...? I really hope we get some of the more outlandish stuff.

In the miniseries we get
the clown, the werewolf, the mummy, a mass of deadlights, Belch, clown with dog head, old lady living in Bev's house, and spider

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Do you think this'll tie into Dark Tower at all to create the Stephen King cinematic universe? I know most of his books are connected in some form. Derry comes up a few other times elsewhere
That'd be interesting, but I imagine since Kings stories are all over the place, licensing wise, it'd be hard to do anything with that other than a little nod here and there. It'd be cool nonetheless, if it was just a small little thing for obsessive fans.

In the miniseries we get
the clown, the werewolf, the mummy, a mass of deadlights, Belch, clown with dog head, old lady living in Bev's house, and spider
I don't remember the
clown with dog head
at all.

I doubt they will tie in per se, but they'd have to go out of their way to have them not at least exist in the same universe. If there is mention of
the turtle or macroverse
, which surely there will be, then we could imagine they're in same universe easily enough.

zeemumu

I don't remember the
clown with dog head
at all.

I doubt they will tie in per se, but they'd have to go out of their way to have them not at least exist in the same universe. If there is mention of
the turtle or macroverse
, which surely there will be, then we could imagine they're in same universe easily enough.

It was when
IT goes to break Henry out of the mental institution by posing first as Belch's corpse and then he turns into his clown form with a dog head to kill the guard.
I think it was a mini-series only thing.

.JayZii

Banned
wait, all the kids fuck in IT the book? what?
By the end of the book, things become pretty magical and psychedelic and the kids are losing their minds and memories and are lost in the sewers in the dark. They needed to do something drastic to ground themselves, bind themselves together as a group and to seal their pact that they would come back together if the IT ever returned. It's still weird in the book –and a choice which I don't know if a modern writer would be able to pull off without being lynched– but it makes more sense in context.
If I'm remembering right, the book described Pennywise as a clown with an old-timey, baggy silvery costume with big orange buttons and white gloves. It looks like they were going for something more authentic but couldn't control themselves and decided to over design the shit out of it and make it look like something from a couture fashion show. Their desire to make the design "cool" or stylish missed the point and made it less scary.

The truth of the matter is that they design these costumes to look good in the marketing material like the "Leaked!" costume/cast photos and magazine ads more than they design them for what would work best in the movie itself. A dorkier clown costume would be scarier in the movie, but would look "worse" in promotional material.
The creature from the black lagoon scene from the book was really creepy.

Well, I was skeptical, but now I'm looking forward to this.

More interested in comparing it to what came before, and appreciating anything better we might get, but I guess we'll see. It's great to look at, so far anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom