• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey (2017) - Preview Thread: New videos and impressions

GavinUK86

Those Mimics look fucking annoying to deal with.

They're basically faster headcrabs. I love how they could be anything hidden in the environment and not just enemies standing around in plain view waiting for the player.

I was excited for this already but now I'm really hyped for it. I just hope they've got a handle on the CryEngine and it performs better than their Void Engine in Dishonored 2.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I get some similar vibes to the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games from a lot of the gameplay videos, especially with enemies like the mimic.

Thewonandonly

The previews absolutely suggest it'll be mind-bendy and unique enough from the original game. It's just different, that's all. I'm loving what I'm seeing here.
Same it looks mind blowing as fuck way more then the last game. I stopped watching the kind of funny coverage after they get the wrench becuase I have seen enough.

This is now my most hyped game of this year if god of war doesn't come out which it probley won't :(

Gumbie

I watched gameplay from a ps4 that was encoded in 60fps on youtube and it looks like it's running an unlocked framerate on ps4. Not sure if that's just for the demo they're using or if it will make it to release that way.

Sloane

Banned
Continues to sound very good. Still disappointed about Prey 2 but if we get a semi System Shock instead, fine by me.

mindatlarge

When I heard this announced, I passed it off. After seeing the progress being made, it has piqued my interest. Was reading an article where they were comparing it to the System Shock series. Sounds good to me.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Looks really awesome, expected from Arkane. I'm still not a fan of the enemy design but the gameplay and environment look excellent.

Papacheeks

Banned
I love immersive sims so I think it looks more interesting.

Also we'll probably never know if prey 2 actually was any good outside of trailers so take that as both a curse and a blessing, we'll never be dissapointed by it not reaching expectations and you can forever romantizise the thought of prey 2 actually being that dream game you have in your head about space bounty hunters :)

We did know how it played outside of trailers, there was a E3 2011 where gamespot covered the game on the floor and they were straight up playing it live.

It played really well, it was rough but it looked very promising. Zenimax fucked that game royally and the studio.

I'm sorry this to me looks more interesting than something that resembles bioshock/halflife in space.

The look of Prey compared to Prey 2 is night and day. Prey IMO looks very generic, the enemies look very generic in design. It could have Mick Gordon for the soundtrack but if the rest is up to who like the deigns choice. I for one don;'t. But nothing against people who do.

I guess it looks like something I'v played before outside of some of the mechanics like turning into a liquid which is kind of reminds me of the portal/half life mechanics with portals and gravity mixed in with Dishonored ability's.

We did know how it played outside of trailers, there was a E3 2011 where gamespot covered the game on the floor and they were straight up playing it live.

It played really well, it was rough but it looked very promising. Zenimax fucked that game royally and the studio.

It is unfortunate what happened to them, but considering how people still complain about Prey 2, I started to hate the game as a whole.

Frankly, I see half of the posts in Prey OT (Which I'm making) will be complaining about Prey 2, and I'm not looking forward to that.

Papacheeks

Banned
It is unfortunate what happened to them, but considering how people still complain about Prey 2, I started to hate the game as a whole.

Frankly, I see half of the posts in Prey OT (Which I'm making) will be complaining about Prey 2, and I'm not looking forward to that.

I hear you, I have nothing against people who like the new prey it has some cool things in it. It just doesn't grab me like Prey 2 did in it's look, design.

WOw after watching more of the new prey even the hud looks like Bioshock like.

Kind of a turn off to be honest.

Gator86

I hope mods perma-ban every motherfucker who does that. That version of Prey 2 is dead. It's gone. No one wants to hear about it. It's not related to this game. It's totally irrelevant shitposting and should be treated as such. Judge this game on its own merits and keep the discussion focused on it.

Btw OP, the aliens are called Typhon. Mimics are just one among several Typhon aliens you face in the game.

Anyways, this game has a lot of System Shock vibe into it than Bioshock, which makes it more exciting to me.

I am watching the first hour playthrough, I am CRINGING at that helicopter sequence. The music and credits were really out of place with what was on show.

I am so sick of this Bioshock style simplified inventory/interaction system. And the first person animations are way too articulated.. when she puts on the suit she is acting like she just encountered a new alien fabric for the very first time. It is a great thing to do and helps immersion, but can't we just be more subtle?

That first conversation with your dad (I think).. the awkward camera zoom during conversations...

The immersive, FPS RPG genre needs a shakedown of massive proportions. I'm guessing what will save this game is the action, so I'm still hoping to like it.

stn

As much as I miss the cancelled version of Prey 2, I'll still check this out at some point.

I am watching the first hour playthrough, I am CRINGING at that helicopter sequence. The music and credits were really out of place with what was on show.

I am so sick of this Bioshock Infinite style simplified inventory/interaction system. And the first person animations are way too articulated.. when she puts on the suit she is acting like she just encountered a new alien fabric for the very first time.

That first conversation with your dad (I think).. the awkward camera zoom during conversations...

The immersive, FPS RPG genre needs a shakedown of massive proportions.

The music is deliberately made with 80s synths and spaghetti western.

And what Bioshock Infinite style inventory? Its grid inventory and more similar to System Shock 2.

v0mitg0d

Those Mimics look fucking annoying to deal with.

I can see why you would think that. I was also skeptical, but it turns out they provide a nice degree of tension. Also, when they morph somewhere near you, the music ramps up! there were a few times where I was exploring and I hear the music score up with the Mimic SFX and I quickly began looking around--it's kind of terrifying.

Highly recommend this video where there's some Mimic discussion: https://youtu.be/WLwu2GeWDIg

I am so sick of this Bioshock Infinite style simplified inventory/interaction system. And the first person animations are way too articulated.. when she puts on the suit she is acting like she just encountered a new alien fabric for the very first time.

The immersive, FPS RPG genre needs a shakedown of massive proportions.

I was so ready for this, but honestly it looks like shit and it seems super janky. As every game in the genre, I guess all the jank will fade away when you are 20 hours in and really locked in the gameplay.

The music is deliberately made with 80s synths and spaghetti wstern.

And what Bioshock Infinite style inventory? Its grid inventory and more similar to System Shock 2.

The music itself wasn't bad, could come right out of a Hotline Miami title card. But there was huge discord with the actual sequence.

I haven't actually seen any inventory yet, so that's good to hear. From the opening it looked the same as Bioshock / Dishonored where items automatically get converted into something else (Food -> health) the moment you pick it up. Happy to be wrong.

Sliver

Didn't know this was going to be an immersive sim, actually pretty interested now. Enemies still aren't doing it for me though.

Why do I have a feeling that Prey will be the same big surprise as Wolfenstein or Doom?

Frankly, if it was developed by any other developer, I'd have doubts. But since its developed by Arkane, I was excited for it since day one.

So I don't think it'll be a big surprise as Wolfenstein or Doom 2016.

hank_tree

Nice to see that the gaming press is still doing previews for Bethesda even though they won't send then review copies before launch.

Wanderer5

I am not going to bother looking at videos anymore, but Mick Gordon working on this is pretty cool.

For those who are curious to know what kind of music Prey will be, Mick Gordon said its 80s synths and spaghetti western.

So don't expect something like DOOM.

Yeah I don't think what DOOM had is going to work with this game as much.:p

The dynamic combat music that just pops up and fades out after 2 seconds just doesn't work. And that classic horror tone that plays whenever you're supposed to be scared is about as distracting as a comedy laugh track.

The 'badass' weapon animations (every time I select the wrench you have to flip it? Really?) are at complete odds with the storytelling and tone it is seemingly trying to establish.

Sorry.

Story seems interesting. But the execution.. audio logs, audio logs, some event happening behind a glass pane, huge objective name/picture/description appearing on-screen right as you complete it... damnit, I want better from this 'genre'. I want to evolve past Deus Ex 1, not streamline it.

Denzar

There's this spoiler that every outlet's been warning us/talking about. I don't want to know what it is (reason I didn't peruse the thread) unless it's this:

Is it like groundhog day? I know practically all video games are, but, maybe, it's a certain twist on that concept?

Still shocking to me that people are only just now coming around to this. It's looked so incredibly interesting and innovative from the very beginning.

I'm very very psyched.

Mifec

There's this spoiler that every outlet's been warning us/talking about. I don't want to know what it is (reason I didn't peruse the thread) unless it's this:

Is it like groundhog day? I know practically all video games are, but, maybe, it's a certain twist on that concept?

You start by realizing you've had your memory erased at the end of each day, not really groundhog day and you go from there, it doesn't repeat.

Top Bottom