• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Pokemon Sun and Moon video in Septh 14th (Japan time 10pm)

Ultra Beasts also don't appear in the Pokemon section on the website, even though weirdos like Type: Null do.

Ooh really?? Hype!

Edit: Question!! Do version exclusives normally get revealed prior to release? I've been leaning towards Moon but Bulgingman is putting up a good..argument

Which came first, Lusamine or UB-02 Beauty?
they're both derivatives of the beauty trainer class in a way
Don't know what' up with UB-02 Sonic Boom Knuckles in Bug forme.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
I hear you, I think my argument mostly stems from the fact that the title 'Ultra Beast' seems important and a differing factor when comparing them to Pokemon.

Sure, looking different is not damming enough evidence. But, especially with how many new ideas this gen seems to be employing, I think they HAVE to be different.

Wouldn't we rather have some crazy boss fights than just another slew of, what are basically, legendary pokemon? GF MUST know we have too many legendaries. I don't think Ultra Beasts are in the cards.

Edit: I think I really am just hoping they're not wannabe legendaries. I don't know. NPC bosses just seems more exciting.

Edit 2: ugh already feeling defeated because the website's verbage makes them sound like pokemon.
I personally think they are simply this generation's Trio like we get in every Generation but either way in my case I WILL have the option to use them by force. They're a Pokemon? Cool than a Pokémon EX or Pokémon GX card. Not a Pokemon? Cool a Trainer card will eventually come so I can use it.

PSqueak

Banned
Man, cant decide which i like more, i got a preference for cute girly pokemon*, but swole mosquito looks so freaking badass.

Ooh really?? Hype!

Edit: Question!! Do version exclusives normally get revealed prior to release? I've been leaning towards Moon but Bulgingman is putting up a good..argument
Usually a few do but not all. Like we learned that Sun Rockwulf is Sun only and now these UBs. There might be some version exclusive old Pokemon and Alooan forms that aren't revealed prerelease as well.

Also I'd be fine if the UBs were catchable (hello Buffsquito), but it just doesn't seem like they will be to me. It'll also be cool to have legendary fights that amount to more than "Let's use my Master Ball and get this over with" and in the case of Black 2 "Why can't I just catch this damn thing already?"

Yeah, the UBs not appearing under the Pokemon section on the site is pretty definitive. They're boss fights. Seems like this game will be stuffed with them.

I'm surprised that so many people are disappointed at the prospect of UBs not being catch-able. I thought the fanbase would hate them too much to care.
Why's that? I think the UBs are great. If they were legendaries they'd be my favorite set of legendaries in the series.

I'm not too disappointed if they're not catchable though -- I never liked using legendaries because they are too strong. But being boss fights sounds fun.

If they're really just boss fights and not usable Pokemon at all, then I hope they go all the way with making these things actual semi-difficult battles. Have UB-02 Beauty force your Pokemon to become infatuated with it, thus making the battle difficult. I'd be very disappointed if these things were like fighting any other Legendary 'Mon, where they can go down in one hit to your lead Pokemon's best move.

Neiteio

It definitely seems like UBs are boss fights and won't be usable. Putting them in a separate category on the website is pretty telling.

I suppose there's a chance there might be a way to convert them into actual Pokemon.

Maxinas

If they're really just boss fights and not usable Pokemon at all, then I hope they go all the way with making these things actual semi-difficult battles. Have UB-02 Beauty force your Pokemon to become infatuated with it, thus making the battle difficult. I'd be very disappointed if these things were like fighting any other Legendary 'Mon, where they can go down in one hit to your lead Pokemon's best move.

That can be fixed with multiple health bars, or just extremely high defense/HP.

Kouriozan

UB-02 kept its Japanese name for the French translation, hehe.

PSmVzoK.jpg

Type:Null being Type:0 here, and now that, French localization FTW!

Forkball

I think you will have to "purify" UBs or something along those lines to reveal the actual Pokemon. Maybe they can still turn into UBs via a carry item. It just seems weird to introduce a creature that fights Pokemon that actually isn't a Pokemon and is unobtainable in the game.

Razmos

I think it's possible that they might be uncatchable boss fights during the main game and a nerfed version being catchable in the post game

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
It definitely seems like UBs are boss fights and won't be usable. Putting them in a separate category on the website is pretty telling.
That doesn't mean squad if anything in might be bolstering or highlighting their importance in the story but other than that from appearance and their own description alone they still seem to be Pokemon to me.

Yes TCP can use them as some sort of boss mechanic but at the end of the day they can still be caught,traned or knocked out just like any other Pokémon in my opinion.

That doesn't mean squad if anything in might be bolstering or highlighting their importance in the story but other than that from appearance and their own description alone they still seem to be Pokemon to me.
But it means they aren't Pokemon

Or are the Pokemon on the cover not important to the story 😒

eyesradar

Lol I don't get the reason why JPs call it "expansion" in English then the in the English version it's being called "absorption"

poor Nintendo HK dude is prolly confused as hell. The Chinese versions are based off Japanese version so the translation goes with the Japanese name, which is literally "expansion".

SXk7GQj.png

Then because HK is a bilingual region they put the English name aside, which is "absorption".

The Chinese webpage came out several hours ago so everyone in the Chinese community is confused as hell and thinks someone prolly made a mistake or even a potential leak. Turn out its another weird choice of word...Funny.

UB seems heavily related to the story and that's why I'm disappointed in this trailer. If it's related to the plot I don't care about it until I'm playing it and get up to that point.

Show me gameplay and new Pokémon.

I think you will have to "purify" UBs or something along those lines to reveal the actual Pokemon. Maybe they can still turn into UBs via a carry item. It just seems weird to introduce a creature that fights Pokemon that actually isn't a Pokemon and is unobtainable in the game.
This already sort of happened with the PokeStar Studios didn't it?

Kyuur

It'd be awesome if someone could actually update the OP so people don't have to search the thread for information.

Xion_Stellar

But it means they aren't Pokemon

Or are the Pokemon on the cover not important to the story 😒
Hard to say at this point since Game Freak is flipping alot of franchise conventions on it's head right now and for all we know the Trio might be the the main focus of the story and let's not pretend like Cover Pokemon actually ever did anything significant story wise they have always been used as a means to an end by each generation's evil team excluding Generation I & II (Because Charizard,Blastoise,Lugia and Ho-Oh have zero story involvement).

platocplx

ultra beasts seem like your team going up against a tough boss in a traditional RPG. Kinda reminds me of Dragon Quest Monsters where your party went up against boss characters.

L Thammy

You mean kind of like

250px-249lugia-shadowhsjua.png

?

CD'S BAR

God these trailers are the worst. That same damn music, that grating Pikachu cry at the beginning. Yikes.

Game looks great though.

Yeah I'm pretty sure nobody here knows what UBs are and their complete and true function. Mostly I think that because they've said next to nothing about them and they are also very important to the story, so I'm positive there's plenty of secrets about them.

In fact, I think the leading schools of thought on them (totally non-catchable; transform into human counterparts) are both wrong. Some red herrings with this generation's reveals.

Forkball

You mean kind of like

250px-249lugia-shadowhsjua.png

?

Pretty much yes. UBs are clearly some sort of fusion or doppelganger of actual people, so there must be a form separated from people. Kind of like the Zygarde cores. Also I can't imagine Nintendo making merch for some ugly as hell roach/mosquito roid freak unless there is also a cute form. Either way, UBs are definitely one of the oddest things ever included in the series.

I would love them to be straight up JRPG boss battles though. All the bosses in Pokemon basically play by your rules, but that's almost never the case in most games. Bosses in RPGs typically have unique attacks, stats, and movement. With the Totems and possibly UBs, it allows them to challenge the player in unique ways. I still doubt they will be that difficult, but it's at least some gameplay variety.

I wonder what the info will be on the 20th, we got the UBs out of the way so we'll probably get Rockruff's evo and hopefully some other good stuff.
I'm hoping for the first evos of the starters and maybe an Alolan form that isn't a Gen 1 Pokemon.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Seeing Tapu Koko and UB-02 confront each other was actually pretty cool. Seeing a "guardian deity" actually acting in that role was also cool. I'm rooting for Tapu Koko to win because I don't find much that's likable about either UB-02.

Delio

If the Ultra Beasts are catchable I wish they would go ahead and toss them in the Pokemon page with everyone else. Or give us typing or something.

Top Bottom