• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Pokemon Sun and Moon video in Septh 14th (Japan time 10pm)

Mr. Robot

If the Ultra Beasts are catchable I wish they would go ahead and toss them in the Pokemon page with everyone else. Or give us typing or something.

I think its pretty obvious that Mosquiroid UB-02 is BUG/FIGHTING

Actually, what if they have 3 types? ( ° 0 °)

AetherZX

you people continue to forget the rightfully justified bond phenomenon/"synchro" speculation that's ongoing and often claimed to be debunked

but it ain't over until release day

there are two instances in trailers where the z move symbol appears on the trainer after they do a certain pose and not on the Pokémon itself, before an odd cutaway in those instances, but it helps support the speculation

anyway

the ultra beasts adopt some physical and perhaps personality characteristics of the 3 blonde characters we can link them to the most

ash greninja does that too (not by much, but neither do they), yet it's still a separate entity as we see ash controlling it in battles

there's a catch that ash feels the pain and can even pass out in that state, but greninja seems to be able to mimic the motions of ash (hello UB-01 description??!)

we can draw an easy conclusion at this point:

yes, ultra beasts in their current form are boss fights and not catchable

but what if it's simply the result an extreme form of a currently unknown mechanic that has long been proposed

character x unknown (maybe legendary?) pokemon undergo unexplained transformation merging them into one and for the convenience of plot, said character and/or Pokémon have little to no awareness of this and perhaps enter a rampage of some nature, resulting in a face off against a totem pokemon-esque boss fight

easy crisis right there guys

the unknown pokemon in question likely can be caught post game where you could pull a controlled version of this off because reasons (see: primals) enjoy your ultra beast (mode)

the catch is it faints and you auto lose like synchro is speculated to do based on ash if greninja faints

one final hail mary in a battle seems to be a growing trend after all (Z moves, megas to an extent)

we've also seen a variant of megas (Primal Reversion) so this isn't that crazy

since when has pokemon had complicated explanations to simple stuff

aliens disguised as humans, really

the writing is on the wall and time is winding down to drop the synchro bomb. WAKE UP SHEEPLE

Sou Da

You guys are really bending over backwards to try and justify how you might catch things clearly not intended to even be Pokémon.

Just noticed something about the Ultra Beasts, they don't have cries. Every other Pokemon has had a cry when revealed but these things don't.

Maxinas

Just noticed something about the Ultra Beasts, they don't have cries. Every other Pokemon has had a cry when revealed but these things don't.

In the video the short clip we got when they made their entrance had them in a "cry" stance. Probably don't want to spoil them for some reason.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
In the video the short clip we got when they made their entrance had them in a "cry" stance. Probably don't want to spoil them for some reason.

Probably because it's the anguished scream of a human trapped inside and stretched to fill the non-verbal Pokémon's lifeless body. Gotta keep that E rating.

Mr-Joker

Banned
So I heard that they posted the trailer late.

Anyway from the trailer Sun and Moon story is shaping to be really good and I can't wait to sink my teeth into and enjoy it.

Also I don't think that the Ultra Beast are Pokémon or catchable as the trailer showed them appearing from a wormhole and compare to other Pokémon from outer space they look nothing like them.

Normally you catch powerful monsters though

Not always, you couldn't capture Black/White Kyurem you had to defeat it and then catch both Kyurem, Reshiram/Zekrom and then fuse them which was done post game.

Gengahrrr

I thought it would be fun to make move sets for when you inevitably battle the ultra beasts.

UB-2 Absorbtion
Ability: Huge Power / Pure Power
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat / Power Up Punch
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch

UB-2 Beauty
Ability: Speed Boost
- Extreme Speed
- Protect
- Psyco Boost
- Magic Coat

Comet

I love the idea of fighting something that isn't a Pokemon, I just hate their designs so much. Oh well keep changing the formula it's fun

I just don't see it likely. They wouldn't be hyping them like this, essentially with Pokédex flavour text noless.

I fully expect them to be catchable

Doesn't most evidence point to exactly the opposite? "Threat to humans and Pokémon," not in the Pokémon section of the site, looking like characters...?

Mr-Joker

Banned
Doesn't most evidence point to exactly the opposite? "Threat to humans and Pokémon," not in the Pokémon section of the site, looking like characters...?

Not exactly as technically they have done this before past mascot legendary such as Groudon, Kyogre, Dialga, Palkia and Giratina where left unchecked they would become a threat to both human and Pokémon.

Also stepping into the animé territory Mewtwo in the first movie was a threat to both human and Pokémon as he planned to wipe them both out.

And yes I am aware that Mewtwo in the animé is different from the game but I am just using it as a possible example should Game Freak take that route and have it that the Ultra beast are Pokémon from another universe one where they have evolved to the highest level that surpasses both Pokémon and Human.

Neiteio

I thought it would be fun to make move sets for when you inevitably battle the ultra beasts.

UB-2 Absorbtion
Ability: Huge Power / Pure Power
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat / Power Up Punch
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch

UB-2 Beauty
Ability: Speed Boost
- Extreme Speed
- Protect
- Psyco Boost
- Magic Coat
Thing about the Ultra Beasts is, if they're not actually Pokemon, they don't have to be limited to four moves or one ability. For all we know, they could have multiple abilities and more than four moves, like a boss in a typical JRPG.

Sesha

Thing about the Ultra Beasts is, if they're not actually Pokemon, they don't have to be limited to four moves or one ability. For all we know, they could have multiple abilities and more than four moves, like a boss in a typical JRPG.

I hope they have some crazy FF final boss-esque moves.

Phu

Banned

They could even have broken ass stats [compared to typical Pokemon] meant to be a threat to your collective team of six.

This is what I'm hoping for. I would LOVE to see these things have a shit ton of HP, a set of some basic moves typical of your average Pokémon battle but also special moves; maybe an ultra powerful attack that it can use once a meter is maxed out (hidden or otherwise). Imagine if they could change type as well and you had to regularly swap out your Pokémon to adjust to the change.

I doubt we'll get that. Even if they're not capturable (which I hope is the case), I reckon they'll still act like a Pokémon in battle. But it's fun to wonder.

Neiteio

YES

VINDICATED
Boss Doggie looking out his window as the lynch mob outside goes away:

raw

Hydrus

So just for shits and giggles, are there any cool story plot ideas flowing around on the net? I want to hear some story speculation!

Zero-ELEC

Banned
So just for shits and giggles, are there any cool story plot ideas flowing around on the net? I want to hear some story speculation!
The Aether Foundation is up to some weird shit, experimenting with alchemy and trying to replicate Arceus (Type: Null) or experimenting with otherworldly beings that may or may not masquerade as blond/e, green-eyed humans.

I do not endorse the contents of this post in any significant manner.

You start with Kukui and Hala introducing you Alola. You have the opening battle with Hau and Lilly expresses her discontent with the whole tradition shortly afterward. She runs off, you chase her and run into Team Skull. They cause trouble and cause everyone to rally against them. When you defeat them, you find out about the Aether Foundation. They explain how they exist to help the world and fight against Team Skull. Then you meet the first UB and shit goes crazy. Then you meet Gladion with Type Null and he explains the truth about Aether Foundation and the UBs. You team up with Skulls to bring down Aether Foundation.

I think thats the general story. Mix in the Trials with some hunting for certain items and Mons, and optional expanded areas with PokeRide, and I think this overworld might be pretty varied.

Only thing is we see Hala and Tapu Koko fighting a UB. I can't seem to place if this is after the trials or later in the game.

That can be fixed with multiple health bars, or just extremely high defense/HP.

I'd accept that, but I honestly want them to have unique moves and abilities that make the fights against them interesting.

If they're going to be RPG bosses, then make them RPG bosses, knowhutimean?

So Pokémon can't be threats to Pokémon?

Looking like characters isn't enough for me.

The wording of that statement suggests the Ultra Beasts are a new entity. The flavour text on the website could not make it clearer. It tells us that "mysterious creatures known as Ultra Beasts" threaten humans and Pokemon alike. Whether their appearance is similar to characters or not makes no difference.

Pokemaniac

They actually have 20 types. All the standard ones plus ??? and Bird. Better print out your type chart.

??? hasn't actually existed since Gen IV. Curse was made Ghost type and pure flying types that use roost become normal now.

Bird is very clearly just a prototype name for Flying.

Top Bottom