• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS VITA LED compared to PS Vita OLED. (Screenshot)

Lumyst

Looking at those pics through an IPS monitor, the OLED does look better to me in almost all cases. But that doesn't come as a surprise, of course it's a cost saving measure to replace the OLED with an LCD for the new model, the whole purpose of OLED was to improve on other display technologies so of course OLED looks better, and I would bet that Sony wanted to use the Vita to drive forward a new display technology.

edit: Oh, and there's a lesson about what people expect out of video game hardware contained in the Vita's sales performance, perhaps it's games take precedent over premium hardware, perhaps it's price. Just like how computers are sold in all types of power levels and build qualities and such, the premium choice isn't always the one chosen by the mass consumer. But at $199 and compared to the 3DSXL, I personally see the tech as worth the price and when I do get a Vita it's going to be the OLED model. When I see the PS4 I see a damn good value in tech compared to the competition, and of course, excellent and desirable games along with that tech, they very much learned from the PS3 and Vita.

mothball

59M54GW.jpg

Might just be because it's taken with a camera, but the original seems to have an overblown red that causes some of the detail in the hair to be lost.

GYNGA

Alright, I've managed to get my hands on an AMOLED Vita so I went back to the store for another round. Here is the video. My hands were extra shaky today so I apologize in advance.

http://youtu.be/a9_dB82DmHU

It's worth mentioning that the two units were sitting at different angles due to space constraints. The top Vita is leaning forward. This may or may not have an effect on how they appear in the video.

I have also taken some stills:

*comparison pics*
Is that Vita 2000 at a maximum brightness settings?

Durante

Is this comparison valid?

On the left is the Vita and on the right is the Xperia L.

Vita has a 220ppi OLED screen and Xperia L a 222ppi LCD Screen.

Quoted for size:
That's a nice comparison, better than the others IMHO since it doesn't have lights shining (and reflecting) on the displays.

Truespeed

LCD is actually better technology if you care about accurate color reproduction. The high color saturation levels of OLED stand out and are very attractive and give the impression of superiority, but if you look at the RGB pixel arrangement of OLED panels you'll start to see their flaws.

If Sony didn't skimp out in the LCD technology they used (high end IPS panel / SLCD3) then I would take the LCD version instantly. However, given Sony's track record and their reluctance to use high grade LCD panels even on their high end phones I'm skeptical that they didn't go cheap with the Vita V2 LCD panel.

Daedardus

Static images can't even really show the biggest drawback of any LC display compared to an OLED, particularly for games (response time).

Those images also don't show the biggest drawback of any OLED display compared to an LCD, particularly for playing outside (the visibility in high light environments).

mocoworm

Am I best to pick up an OLED Vita before they disappear?

What about the burn in issue? Does that happen to all OLED screens and not on LCD?

Daedardus

But if I'm playing a game I care about input latency, switching times and contrast far more than color accuracy.

When I play a game I care far more about the quality of the game rather than a 2ms bigger delay.

The reason why the Vita is still struggling. The difference between an OLED or LCD won't make or break the Vita.

Truespeed

But if I'm playing a game I care about input latency, switching times and contrast far more than color accuracy.

Yup, no doubt OLED has LCD easily beat in response times. But, I'm okay with that if I can have better color reproduction, a longer panel lifespan and longer battery times.

Why does everything look green?

Blue is my favorite color. Seems strange but it really bothers me when things that are suppose to be blue are green.

Are we sure it's not the settings?

Might just be because it's taken with a camera, but the original seems to have an overblown red that causes some of the detail in the hair to be lost.

It's probably just the camera. I'm still learning how to use it and always seem to have trouble with its DOF. There is some blurriness in

I'm not quite sure. I haven't checked the level of brightness. Checking now, the screen brightness on the AMOLED Vita is around 80% .

Norns

This is one of the first times I've seen a hardware revision, and had zero interest in buying it. Love the OLED screen on my OG Vita.

Confiture

Banned
Why are people talking about perfect blacks when it comes to VITA's OLED screen?

To me perfect blacks would mean that in a pitch black room, if I displayed a black picture the screen would look like it's turned off, and that's definitely not the case here.

What I see instead is a greyish/greenish picture with black lines and blotches everywhere (I've gone though three Vitas before settling on an "acceptable" one).

Sure with the lights on they look great, but that's also the case with any LCD.

gogogow

Why are people talking about perfect blacks when it comes to VITA's OLED screen?

To me perfect blacks would mean that in a pitch black room, if I displayed a black picture the screen would look like it's turned off, and that's definitely not the case here.

What I see instead is a greyish/greenish picture with black lines and blotches everywhere (I've gone though three Vitas before settling on an "acceptable" one).

No it's not. OLED's black level is 0 (black is black), that's a fact. LCD panels are never 0, because it uses backlighting, that's why there's backlight bleeding.
The mura effect is caused by varying voltage, it differs per device, but will prevent all the pixels to light uniformly.

LCD is actually better technology if you care about accurate color reproduction. The high color saturation levels of OLED stand out and are very attractive and give the impression of superiority, but if you look at the RGB pixel arrangement of OLED panels you'll start to see their flaws.

This is incorrect.

OLED displays have a much larger colorspace than LCD displays, colors of source materials are oversaturated and made too contrasty to look good on the limited colorspace of LCD displays, when the same material is displayed on an OLED display it appears too saturated and contrasty. Material made especially for display on an OLED display will look better than anything an LCD display could show.

Furthermore the Vita uses a super amoled display, which has a normal RGB layout, just like LCD displays, it does not use an inferior pentile subpixel arrangement.

No it's not. OLED's black level is 0 (black is black), that's a fact. LCD panels are never 0, because it uses backlighting, that's why there's backlight bleeding.
This is not a fact. The Vita OLED displaying black does not simply look 'off'. There is clearly some current going through it, and it appears slightly green and blotchy.

Futureman

Probably because of the shallow DOF this camera has.

Yes it's out of focus.

The original image in the thread has the same issue. The image comparing Ragnarok on both models. The bottom Vita is slightly out of focus and makes the top one look sharper when it's just a camera focus error.

XOMTOR

Yea, I don't get this about the Vita either. We have an old Samsung Galaxy S phone with an OLED screen lying around so I displayed a fullscreen black photo (RGB 0,0,0) and went and stood in the pitch dark. After about a minute, I could just make out a very, very faint greyish glow. Not completely off but there was certainly no 'mura' effect, blotches or lines to be seen.

spwolf

someone needs to calibrate the brightness setting to be same on both units and then compare (not same %)... in any case, LCD VIta looks good to me... IPS panel for sure looking at those good viewing angles.

Gattsu25

Banned
Alright, I've managed to get my hands on an AMOLED Vita so I went back to the store for another round. Here is the video. My hands were extra shaky today so I apologize in advance.

It's worth mentioning that the two units were sitting at different angles due to space constraints. The top Vita is leaning forward. This may or may not have an effect on how they appear in the video.

EexDp09.jpg

E1P7kYo.jpg

W9pJQQt.jpg

QAypRVR.jpg

o5648a7.jpg

fGFa8Il.jpg

itNjy13.jpg

fwVm4fE.jpg

rjt0FZH.jpg

59M54GW.jpg

Well, that's certainly a downgrade

Twio

I wonder if someone smarter than me will find a way to transplant the OLED from the OG into the 2K.

You might be able to since the PS Vita doesn't have a uni body design but the connection from the Panel to the Vita may change so who knows. It's a different technology.

Also, I don't really think it's worth the hassle.Just buy a OG Vita.

Realistically how many games will this effect? If you care that much about input latency, you should be gaming on a PC monitor, not a vita.

I find it hard to believe that the latency is higher than the typical hdtv. Maybe a bit higher than oled but unnoticeable but all but a very small few.

ksdixon

jeeze the latest comparison pics are bad. what advantageshdid the new vita have over the original again? the screen certainly isnt one.

$h@d0w

EexDp09.jpg

E1P7kYo.jpg

W9pJQQt.jpg

QAypRVR.jpg

o5648a7.jpg

fGFa8Il.jpg

itNjy13.jpg

fwVm4fE.jpg

rjt0FZH.jpg

59M54GW.jpg

OLED looks better in the first pic, then as I scroll down the LCD looks better.

Geedorah

Makes me want to pick up an OLED Vita very soon.

You very much should my friend - I wouldn't even wait for Black Friday or anything like that, just to be sure you are able to secure an OG VITA. At first I was thinking it wasn't that big of a deal, but the viewing angle comparison is shocking.

Massa

I understand why they went with a cheaper screen but I'll never understand why they designed such an ugly system after the beauty of the original Vita.

nib95

Banned
I doubt it'll be a downgrade at all. It will just come down to age old preferences between OLED vs LCD. Or rather, deeper black levels vs better colour accuracy. Pick your poison. Based on these pics the new Vita looks a tiny bit yellower in whites, but believe it or not, that is more accurate. 6500k has whites that are very slightly warm instead of cool.

areal

Aside from better battery life, it's really looking like a downgrade. So, backup Vita in white or black? I can't decide.

Edit: or silver...

Top Bottom