• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS VITA LED compared to PS Vita OLED. (Screenshot)

Those shots in no way tell me anything of how these screens actually compare. Going to reserve judgment until a more accurate and comprehensive analysis is done before I decide which to buy.

phanboy4

LCD looks terrible, as expected for a TFT.

I really don't know why they didn't go with an IPS LCD or even Sony's own Triluminos LCD. Either of those would be much better than this.

Obviously it's for cost, but crippling the best feature of the Vita and bringing it down to Nintendo handheld levels, even below most current smartphones is just silly.

sega4ever

or the fact you are using an lcd monitor to view it? It's like saying 4K sucks because you saw a comparison shot on your 1080 tv.

Trust me, OLED is superior in every way.

Its is a LCD screen with backlight from LEDs.
Vitas OLED was such a beatiful thing. Only downside was the mura effect. I'm glad that I've bought the original Vita. Great colors and contrast. Blacks were nice too.

different display types have different +/-'s, pick the one that you like best. for me, i hate burn in so i would go with LCD, i still play 4:3 content (tv shows, older games) and i hate having to baby sit a screen or tv.

Is it bad I think the LED looks better?

In the end, it all comes down to personal preference.

different display types have different +/-'s, pick the one that you like best. for me, i hate burn in so i would go with LCD, i still play 4:3 content (tv shows, older games) and i hate having to baby sit a screen or tv.

Understandable. I restrict my usage of Netflix to my tablet, laptop, or TV. For games like P4G and Guacamelee, I want the most color saturation so I go with OLED.

I really don't know why they didn't go with an IPS LCD or even Sony's own Triluminos LCD. Either of those would be much better than this.

Obviously it's for cost, but crippling the best feature of the Vita and bringing it down to Nintendo handheld levels, even below most current smartphones is just silly.

They did. Look at video someone took of the new Vita. It is definitely IPS/PLS/whatever.

Minions

Of course, they're doing it for the money, but the newest version of the Vita isn't going to be remembered as fondly as the one with the OLED screen in the long run.

That would depend on how many buy the new one. Right new there are so few people that own the OLED...

They did. Look at video someone took of the new Vita. It is definitely IPS/PLS/whatever.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x14kv27_new-playstation-vita-model_videogames
This one? Looks amazing. I don't get the hate for the LCD. Can't wait to see it in person.

Azriell

I don't see the reason for the bickering in this thread over LCD vs OLED. If you like the LCD then wait for those models, and if you prefer the OLED then buy one now, or amazon/ebay/craigslist in the future. I personally greatly prefer the OLED and am glad to have that model, but the most important thing here is that Sony is getting the price down and hopefully putting the Vita in a much better light.

Assuming OLED actually does look better, this is still a worthwhile sacrifice for the overall health of the Vita. It's not even as bad as cutting BC for PS3, and that's something that most people don't even think about anymore.

In light of this news, I finally bit the bullet and bought the Walking Dead Vita bundle.

What say you Vita-GAF, did I choose wisely?

Danj

In light of this news, I finally bit the bullet and bought the Walking Dead Vita bundle.

I bought a Vita too. Maybe this was Sony's plan all along, announce a shit version of the Vita to get all the fence sitters to buy the OG version?

Sweet.

I bought a Vita too. Maybe this was Sony's plan all along, announce a shit version of the Vita to get all the fence sitters to buy the OG version?

That is exactly the catalyst for me finally getting one (I've been wanting one, but just don't have the time for even-more-games). I'd rather have the system sitting on my shelf than having to pay extra just to get the version with the better screen.

Swhalen

I've been trying to track down the instant game collection bundle in my town. May just get the Walking Dead bundle. That OLED screen is so nice.

def sim

I'm not a part of Vita-GAF but, looking at the amazon listings, your choices were: vita at $199 or vita w/ walking dead at $199.

I'll say you killed it with your choice. ;)

CmdBash

sort of a bit off topic, on the fence of deciding which vita to get, is it possible to replace the ps vita battery yourself?

~~Hasan~~

I wonder if I should buy my friend vita

It's original vita and he wants to sell it for 400 Saudi riyal. Which is about 108 US Dollars to be exact

It's a 3G model with stickers on the whole system to cover the entire external and around the buttons and the back as well

He is selling it with wipeout and 4gig of ram.

I didn't test the screen if there is a burn in it. But he heard of the new vita and thought its a good time to sell his because he didn't play it as much according to what he said.

I am honestly really wondering if I should grab that now or spend like 90 and buy new one. I don't care about wipeout as I have allot of ps plus vita games. After seeing the first screen shot comparison I thought fuck that I am buying an old vita. But the second screen show isn't showing much of a difference plus I am afraid of burn in. Usually I don't keep the static images on the screen or the same wallpaper to avoid it.

What do you guys think .

I really wish if there are more screen shots to compare sigh

here are pics of the system

BT8kWb3CMAA4Keh.jpg

BT8kTg-CEAALfrh.jpg

-SD-

Banned
http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/english/NEWS_EN/20130912/302991/

Tech-On! said:
A question was raised about the reason why SCE used a 5-inch LCD panel for the new model of the PS Vita instead of the 5-inch OLED panel used for the previous model.

"The main reason is that the LCD panel can now realize an image quality as high as that of the OLED panel," House said.

In addition, the LCD panel makes it easier to reduce the thickness of the PS Vita, he said. The new model is about 20% slimmer than the previous model.

Moreover, SCE probably employed the LCD panel to lower the cost of the PS Vita though it did not clearly say so. The LCD panel itself is cheaper than the OLED panel, and the LCD panel probably enables to improve yield rate.

Especially, the attachment process applied to the periphery of the display is difficult. For the previous model of the PS Vita, the OLED panel, touch panel and cover are attached together. But it was very difficult to establish a method that does not break the OLED panel in the manufacturing process, once said one of the SCE engineers who developed the previous model.

I don't understand who the new Vita is for :/. It's only slightly less expensive, the battery is only slightly better, and it only comes with 1gb of space which would require purchasing a memory card anyway. And the screen isn't nearly as good as the OG. Am I missing something?

Edit: Sorry, that was kind of OT. Looking at those pictures made me wonder who would buy the new one.

That clip's title says the new Vita uses Super-LCD. Is this info accurate or just a supposition on the uploader's part?

Seems like a supposition to me. Sony's own literature says 液晶ディスプレイ which means LCD. No further explanation is provided.

The title also says "@TGS 2013" which still hasn't started. In actuality, I shot the original videos in a Bic Camera store in Yokohama. Here are the links to the original videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QeHziydv4g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQc4b-UI0uE

I don't understand who the new Vita is for :/. It's only slightly less expensive, the battery is only slightly better, and it only comes with 1gb of space which would require purchasing a memory card anyway. And the screen isn't nearly as good as the OG. Am I missing something?

Edit: Sorry, that was kind of OT. Looking at those pictures made me wonder who would buy the new one.

Actually 1GB make sense (altrough i expected 2 or 4 at least) - that way any game you can buy at retail will work without spending additional money.

Cost of entry into system reduced.

User Tron

I wonder if I should buy my friend vita

It's original vita and he wants to sell it for 400 Saudi riyal. Which is about 108 US Dollars to be exact

It's a 3G model with stickers on the whole system to cover the entire external and around the buttons and the back as well

If nothing is broke that the price is more than fair imo aka I would buy it.

Tygamr

Kotaku said:
In an interview with Nikkei, House said, "The main reason is that the LCD panel can now realize an image as high quality as that of the OLED panel." House also added that the LCD panel makes it easier to slim down the PS Vita.

http://kotaku.com/sony-explains-why-it-changed-the-ps-vitas-oled-screen-1299021236

If what he says is true, it doesn't seem like switching to an LCD was necessarily a cost saving measure. Wonder how much space the LCD saved them.

Edit: lol, too late. That's what I get for skimming over the thread before posting.

mrback

So If I wanna get a japanese one on import can anybody recommend a good supplier? I am based in the UK & used to use Lik-Sang back in the day but just wondered who is best to use these days. Cheers for any suggestions.

So If I wanna get a japanese one on import can anybody recommend a good supplier? I am based in the UK & used to use Lik-Sang back in the day but just wondered who is best to use these days. Cheers for any suggestions.

White Rabbit Express has reasonable fees, I would say. It might be cheaper than buying it from Play-Asia.

http://whiterabbitexpress.com/faq/#fees

I don't know if they are the cheapest, however. I used them s couple of times in the past and they were great.

VXLbeast

So much hyperbole in this thread.

It really dosent look that bad.

As a Vita owner--and as others have tried to point out--this idea that blacks have a greenish tinge to them on the OLED display is a new one to me. I've never seen nor heard of this. Blacks are striking on the Vita's display.

a 3G vita for 100$ is cheap, buy it! :D

4 gigs of extra RAM? quite the beast-edition :D
(im sure you mean a 4 gig memory card)

homulilly

Banned

Because, as Sony discovered, when you release a high quality product instead of the cheapest thing possible, hardly anyone buys it. The unfortunate fact is that most consumers do not give a damn about quality, just cool bullet points (of which "two screens and "3d" sound better than OLED since no one knows what that means) and price.

That said I don't think comparing any handheld system to smartphones is really fair since handhelds have to shoot for under $200 now and popular smartphone models are usually 600-800 dollars when you dont include a 2 year contract.

It would be nice if they kept selling an OLED version for fans who actually care about quality though.

Tygamr

As a Vita owner--and as others have tried to point out--this idea that blacks have a greenish tinge to them on the OLED display is a new one to me. I've never seen nor heard of this. Blacks are striking on the Vita's display.

It is a thing, but it doesn't affect all Vitas. I've seen some people post comparison shots of a Vita with a green tint and the new Vita they exchanged it with. OLEDs don't exactly have a super high consistency off the production line, which is one of the perks of LCDs.

It would be nice if they kept selling an OLED version for fans who actually care about quality though.

Probably not a good idea to confuse consumers... I still know people who buy led-backlit TVs and are convinced that means oled because they just don't understand the difference

I havent kept up with this but does this mean that OLED version is gonna get phased out? So one should pick it up while its there?

Don't know about future plans. However, for the time being, Sony said they will continue selling the 3G/WiFi Vita OLED alongside the new one (which is WiFi only). The new bundle will be released on October 31st for ¥24,129.

Nikodemos

I havent kept up with this but does this mean that OLED version is gonna get phased out? So one should pick it up while its there?
Well, it wouldn't make sense to manufacture two different versions. The OLED version will most likely be discontinued some while after the worldwide launch of the LED-LCD one.

As a Vita owner--and as others have tried to point out--this idea that blacks have a greenish tinge to them on the OLED display is a new one to me. I've never seen nor heard of this.
It's actually a very common complaint. It's called mura effect.

Noctix

I am thinking of buying a vita tomorrow. Is the OLED issue really that common & secondly is it covered with warranty? Is there anything I should be aware of before buying a vita.

Jiraiza

I am thinking of buying a vita tomorrow. Is the OLED issue really that common & secondly is it covered with warranty? Is there anything I should be aware of before buying a vita.

I feel like everybody's just blowing the problems out of proportion. Just play moderately and don't leave the screen on if you're not going to use it for longer than 10-30 minutes. Take breaks if you're going for long gaming sessions.

Top Bottom