• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS VITA LED compared to PS Vita OLED. (Screenshot)

So LCD makes it easier to play outdoors as compared to OLED screens? Just wanted to know.

Correct. I've only messed with an OG Vita in Gamestop, but even under the store's lighting the screen seems a bit dim. This was my main concern as I like to play portable games on the bus.

And hey #teamOLED (why are we using hashtags?) at least when your blue diodes go out in 20 years you'll still have that blue PS button shining in your face to make up for the warmer picture you'll be having! Teehee!! Kidding :p

krYlon

Curious, does OLED have a similar burn in rate as Plasmas?

Wiki:

"OLED is even more susceptible to burn-in than plasma."

Another con:

"In addition, the wide variation in luminance degradation with OLED [1] will cause noticeable color drift over time (where one of the red-green-blue colors becomes more prominent)"

And a poster in the Vita game thread had pictures to prove this. His old vita had red/orange tint.

-Horizon-

Yes. Though LCDs aren't great for that either.
Correct. I've only messed with an OG Vita in Gamestop, but even under the store's lighting the screen seems a bit dim. This was my main concern as I like to play portable games on the bus.

And hey #teamOLED (why are we using hashtags?) at least when your blue diodes go out in 20 years you'll still have that blue PS button shining in your face to make up for the warmer picture you'll be having! Teehee!! Kidding :p

Thanks to both of you for answering. I think I'm willing to sacrifice some color for being able to play when I travel.

But what is this about blue diodes going out?

also

Banned

I never noticed that new model's PS button isn't lit up when playing. This and what seem to be improved select and start buttons unquestionably confirm 2000's superiority. Now if only they could fix the sticks by making them bigger, concave and placing them asymmetrically...

bomblord

Banned
The orignal price for PSV in Japan was 24,980 [wifi] (~250 USD) and the 3G was 30,000 (~300 USD) and they did the price drop earlier this year to 19,980 (for both versions) (~200 USD)

Not according to what I am looking at. Even Play Asia Vita's go for $300. This could always be wrong but I consider cnet a pretty valid source.

x3sphere

But the new LCD screen is still really good, plus the hardware got a number of other improvements as well. Getting the new Vita model should be a no-brainer.

I know. Heck, the reason I bought an XL over an OG 3DS was because despite the worse screens the rest of the hardware was a major improvement over the OG 3DS. The same thing is happening now with the Vita but people are hating it.

The XL screens are not worse as far as I'm aware. The PPI is lower but that is a subjective thing - if you don't hold the XL as close to your face it looks just as good.

Ricky_R

What are the chances that OLED versions will still be in stock this christmas? Also, is there a nice bundle right now for the US? One that's no more than $250?

Metfanant

The OLED is going to offer deeper blacks and a higher contrast...there is nothing the LCD screen can do to compensate for that...however that's not to say the OLED offers the most natural colors in the world...they tend to be WAY overly saturated...

But it just so happens that humans tend to be drawn to (and like) overly saturated colors

Ricky_R

It hasn't been announced for the west yet right?

Ahh you're right. Guess I still have enough time to decide then. I'm a fan of LED/LCD's brightness, but I've read so much praise for the OLED screen that I want to be able to get it if I decide to go with it.

I plan to play this mostly at night in my apartment so screen reflections shouldn't be a problem.

why are you refusing to see the first pic?
I was offering the alternative argument. Obviously I've seen the first pic, my point was that so many people were ignoring the other one. I have already mentioned the first pic:

But then the OP's photo is the other way around, with the LCD appearing too green... I would suggest this is because that image is overall much brighter and more vibrant - something that the OLED is superb at displaying. It's only shadowy areas in games and lots of grey that highlight the OLED's issue with green.

This is my favorite thread. Nothing like fussing and fighting over blurry photos and debating display types!

I just want my pink Vita
f58a8b71.gif

No_Style

There are inherent technological benefits to OLED but poor calibration can ruin it as well. If Sony chooses a quality LCD panel and calibrate it well, it should be fine.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Screenshots only tell a fraction of the story between the two display types. The OLED will look far better in motion.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Have they announced a release for the LED Vita outside of Japan yet? I'm in the US and I'm probably going to get one early next year but I want an OLED version.

Have they announced a release for the LED Vita outside of Japan yet? I'm in the US and I'm probably going to get one early next year but I want an OLED version.

I'd assume they have a shit tonne of stock of the old ones to sell through elsewhere before launching a new model

Danj

I just bought myself an OLED Vita, seeing these screenshots it's maybe not as much of an issue as I originally thought from the previous ones but I still think the OLED one looks better, so I'm sticking by my purchase. Wikipedia says you have to use an OLED screen for 5 years at 8 hours a day for it to burn out, any truth to that?

Just went ahead and pulled the trigger. Buying an OLED Vita was the only way I was going to relieve my anxiety.

I just bought myself an OLED Vita, seeing these screenshots it's maybe not as much of an issue as I originally thought from the previous ones but I still think the OLED one looks better, so I'm sticking by my purchase. Wikipedia says you have to use an OLED screen for 5 years at 8 hours a day for it to burn out, any truth to that?

Yes, haven't noticed much change in the brightness or color of my phone's screen over time.

Burn-in is another story. Try to avoid displaying fixed screen elements for extended periods of time.

Eh, not really bothersome to me. I still play some PS1 games on my TV and the negative impact is next to nil. I'd assume it's sheer convenience and the ability to use a traditional controller, as the Vita cramps my hands.

Bring on the sub HD! ;)

My fiancee's that way also. She'll happily play Spyro the Dragon on our 1080p TV, but all I can focus on are the polygons and the textures.

KAL2006

Banned
Yes OLED screens do degrade, but that's in about 6-12 years. When it does degrade I'm sue you can find a Vita 2000 for dirt cheap by then.

The size of the current one doesn't bother me at all and the LED is quite noticeably worse. Get the OLED version while you still can.

Kagami

Yes OLED screens do degrade, but that's in about 6-12 years. When it does degrade I'm sue you can find a Vita 2000 for dirt cheap by then.

My Galaxy Note (SAMOLED display) is 1 year and 10 months old and it's easy to see the color degradation. Just pull up a full-screen image and compare the status bar area to the rest of the screen. The status bar area (which stays largely black most of the time) still looks nice, but the rest of the display has a "dirty" look to it due to use.

That said, I'm still getting an OLED Vita anyway just to experience it for a few years. But I fully expect to need to replace it in 3 or 4 years.

BigDug13

The orignal price for PSV in Japan was 24,980 [wifi] (~250 USD) and the 3G was 30,000 (~300 USD) and they did the price drop earlier this year to 19,980 (for both versions) (~200 USD)

That wasn't the exchange rate that the Vita launch. Was only getting around 77 yen per dollar during that time. Around $307 USD with conversion rate.

So yeah, the price was the same in Japan as you're quoting, but converted it seemed more expensive back then than that same price does now. So people would spout a USD converted price for Japan which was only reflective of our shitty dollar rate back then.

Top Bottom