• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS VITA LED compared to PS Vita OLED. (Screenshot)

gwarm01

Obviously I will stick with my launch Vita, but the differences aren't enough to fuss over. I'd gladly buy the new model if I had to.

mothball

Remember when Nintendo would IMPROVE the display with each iteration?

Oh, Sony.

Probably because there was no possible way to get worse than the shit they started with (lol original DS screens). And then they managed it anyway with the yellow 3DS XL screens.

baphomet

Do people in here honestly think that the colors are incorrect on the OLED screen? The games were designed for that screen. That's exactly how they are supposed to look. The fact that people are pointing out the color differences in the new screen is basically proving the opposite of what you're trying to.

bomblord

Banned
I guess I don't understand why people would assume Sony is going to use a super high quality LCD screen that we'd see in a phone when this thing is meant to reduce the cost.

I'm sure there are good LCD screens out there, but my experience with them is on ~200 dollar handhelds, not ~600 dollar phones. The screen on the Vita absolutely destroys any other handheld's, and I don't think this will be any different.

Indeed. The ghosting on the psp is really bad. When I go back to play Crisis Core, it's really hard for me to tolerate anymore.

Considering the PSP 3000 had an LCD screen that fixed the ghosting issues I can't see them taking a backstep on that with a new Vita.

1203.gif

Nikodemos

Looks like the new screen doesn't wash out in bright lighting like the OLED, nor does it exhibit greenblacks like the OLED. It has somewhat lower crispness. You take some, you give some...

That honestly looks terrible. I'm giving serious thought to buying a spare Vita before OLED stocks run dry...anything to avoid using that god-awful LCD screen.

The OLED is obviously superior, but I feel like this is going to be pretty hard to really get a feel for without being able to look at them in person. I have an OLED and will probably stick with it... gotta buy Vita TV so a slim's not in the cards anyway.

Should still be totally serviceable for people who want an in. If there's any way this is more playable in sunlight, I'll probably get one eventually.

OmahaG8

It is simple.

Are you the kind of person, who, will stare at their Vita 2000 and think, what if? Then get a 1000.

Do you not give a shit? Get one whenever, for whatever price you can.

soultron

Banned
I feel that if you're the type to dislike the LCD screen, you either own an original Vita already or are planning to buy one anyway as a result of the recent price drop. If the new one's not for you, at least both models are close enough in price that you're not getting a bad deal.

As someone who's about to purchase a Vita, I'd be fine with either model, personally.

bomblord

Banned
The 3000 fixed the ghosting problem? All I remember from that were the interlacing artifacts

Yea

from a link right above this post

On some occasions, scan lines may appear on scenes where brightness changes drastically, due to the hardware features of the new LCD device on PSP-3000. Installed with this new LCD device, PSP-3000 offers more natural and vibrant colors on its screen, but the scan lines have come out to be more visible as a result of improving response time to alleviate the afterimages on PSP-3000. Since this is due to hardware specification, there are no plans for a system software update concerning this issue.

DedValve

Banned
You can't really tell unless you see it on a different screen or in person.

I would like to see what UMvsC3 looks on that new vita since that is probably the most gorgeous game I have on my vita.

With the Vita's resolution blown up to fit your TV.

Eh, not really bothersome to me. I still play some PS1 games on my TV and the negative impact is next to nil. I'd assume it's sheer convenience and the ability to use a traditional controller, as the Vita cramps my hands.

Bring on the sub HD! ;)

krYlon

Wasn't this comparison done on a 3000?

I could be wrong.

That's a 3000 alright.

But no way is the VIta 2000 going to have a screen anywhere near as bad as that. Heck, people are forgetting that there were other PSP models after 3000, and LCDs have improved even further since then.

Elija2

So besides switching to LCD (which still has it's own benefits), the new Vita model is an improvement over the old one. And yet so many people are hating on it just because it doesn't have an OLED screen. I guess once you go OLED, you can't go back. Seriously, what advantages does OLED have over LCD? Blacker blacks? More saturation? Wouldn't having an LCD screen which would look better under direct sunlight and improve the battery life be better for a handheld?

If I were to get a Vita, I'd get the new model. Then again, I've got a 3DS XL so even the LCD Vita would be a huge improvement.

Jiraiza

So besides switching to LCD (which still has it's own benefits), the new Vita model is an improvement over the old one. And yet so many people are hating on it just because it doesn't have an OLED screen. I guess once you go OLED, you can't go back. Seriously, what advantages does OLED have over LCD? Blacker blacks? More saturation? Wouldn't having an LCD screen which would look better under direct sunlight and improve the battery life be better for a handheld?

If I were to get a Vita, I'd get the new model. Then again, I've got a 3DS XL so even the LCD Vita would be a huge improvement.

I imagine it's because most people who play the VITA pretty hardcore don't do so very often in direct sunlight. It's either within the comfort of their sofa, bed, or computer chair (read: indoors) which is why (at least to me) the OLED screen would be the better choice. I'm still on the fence though and I really am digging the slightly bigger screen plus new layout.

3DS XL is a damn good system though.

I will say, with the upcoming features of using your network to play PS4 games on your Vita, imagine going outside in the nice weather, playing some games on an LCD screen, where you can actually see what's going on. While with the OLED you'd really have to struggle.

diffusionx

Gold Member
That's a 3000 alright.

But no way is the VIta 2000 going to have a screen anywhere near as bad as that. Heck, people are forgetting that there were other PSP models after 3000, and LCDs have improved even further since then.

They have, but this is by definition a cost-cutting move so I wouldn't be expecting a high-end smartphone LCD in here. It will be baseline acceptability, whatever that is.

Elija2

I imagine it's because most people who play the VITA pretty hardcore don't do so very often in direct sunlight. It's either within the comfort of their sofa, bed, or computer chair (read: indoors) which is why (at least to me) the OLED screen would be the better choice. I'm still on the fence though and I really am digging the slightly bigger screen plus new layout.

But the new LCD screen is still really good, plus the hardware got a number of other improvements as well. Getting the new Vita model should be a no-brainer.

3DS XL is a damn good system though.

I know. Heck, the reason I bought an XL over an OG 3DS was because despite the worse screens the rest of the hardware was a major improvement over the OG 3DS. The same thing is happening now with the Vita but people are hating it.

But the new LCD screen is still really good, plus the hardware got a number of other improvements as well. Getting the new Vita model should be a no-brainer.

I know. Heck, the reason I bought an XL over an OG 3DS was because despite the worse screens the rest of the hardware was a major improvement over the OG 3DS. The same thing is happening now with the Vita but people are hating it.

I have friends that think the XL is too big and bulky to be portable. One of them, when he goes to conventions, he spends half the time at least doing street pass bullcrap...

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher

I despise lcd technology. That's why it bothers me. The XL solved a major problem with the original 3ds while the new Vita eliminates one of its best features.

I despise lcd technology. That's why it bothers me. The XL solved a major problem with the original 3ds while the new Vita eliminates one of its best features.

The other problem being is that some games look better on the OG while others may look better on the XL. Cinematics look way better on the XL, but fast action might be bit off considering it would have to stretch to higher pixels.

Is it IPS LCD?

Heathen.

We would always call him on it. He would always make sure to sneak in every second he could in between guests, panels, and hell, he would walk through the streets of a city looking down doing that.

krYlon

They have, but this is by definition a cost-cutting move so I wouldn't be expecting a high-end smartphone LCD in here. It will be baseline acceptability, whatever that is.

Well it looks pretty impressive in this video:

Not a cheap LCD that's for sure. And like I said, impressions from Japan have been favourable in regards to (lack of) motion blur.

So LCD makes it easier to play outdoors as compared to OLED screens? Just wanted to know.

Yes. Though LCDs aren't great for that either.

bomblord

Banned
Every Screen I own is an LCD.

I fail to have any of the issues people talk about with them. I think it's more of the placebo effect even though it looks better on paper doesn't necessarily mean the human eye can readily distinguish it unless it's set side by side.

Top Bottom