• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS4 Details: Automatic Caching Games Not Install

wsippel

Banned
Sony's "it can control missiles" reality distortion field is in full effect once again I see. This type of caching is an installation, no matter what Sony wants to call it. Also, you'll still have to wait a while on initial runs. Because it takes more than five seconds to read several gigabytes of data from an optical medium no matter what, and that's what the system has to do - caching, installing, whatever they call it doesn't change that fact.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Sony's "it can control missiles" reality distortion field is in full effect once again I see. This type of caching is an installation, no matter what Sony wants to call it. Also, you'll still have to wait a while on initial runs. Because it takes more than five seconds to read several gigabytes of data from an optical medium no matter what, and that's what the system has to do - caching, installing, whatever they call it doesn't change that fact.

It's definitely not because English isn't Yoshida-sans native language.

Sony's "it can control missiles" reality distortion field is in full effect once again I see. This type of caching is an installation, no matter what Sony wants to call it.
This is a very false equivalency. They're using the language they are to avoid people concluding that PS4 installs will be the same as PS3 installs, not to aggrandize themselves. Just read the most recent Yoshida tweet: he's happy to say it's an install when people are clear what they mean by that.

Also, you'll still have to wait a while on initial runs. Because it takes more than five seconds to read several gigabytes of data from an optical medium no matter what, and that's what the system has to do - caching, installing, whatever they call it doesn't change that fact.
Sure, but the Killzone devs say it's less than 3 minutes, or just over 30 seconds, depending on how you interpret their words. (They might've meant ~2:45 for the first time, ~:35 after that, or they might've meant ~:35 every time, with ~2:45 including the opening cutscenes of the campaign itself.) Either way, it's much less time than waiting on a PS3-style install to finish, despite the bigger assets.

Top Bottom