• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS4 Details: Automatic Caching Games Not Install

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Phew *wipes brow*

Yoshida first confirmed that Playstation 4 does automaic cashing to games, and its not the mandatory install. This is really huge news for Playstation 4, it basically mean, if you want to play CoD Ghosts and Killzone, you won't need 100GB of space (50GB each,) you'll just need 50GB to cache them. That's so cool!

Added:

KkS2d1F.png

http://www.gamepur.com/news/12566-n...ames-not-install-voice-commands-without-.html

Here's my take now we have new information:

OK, so it seems to me we're missing the obvious here. He calls it caching but perhaps he's talking about the process not the end result. If you were to install it it would transfer the data at a steady rate until the whole game was on the HDD. With this process it looks like you can just stop playing and the caching stops until you continue.

I think the reason he calls it caching is because that's what it is until it's all cached and obviously then becomes installed. What we are doing here is mixing the 'process' up with what we would consider 'installing'. They probably refer to it as caching because normally with installing, you would have to wait for the whole game to install before playing.

In Sony's terms:

Installing = waiting for it to install to play
Caching = playing it while installing.

That's what I'm taking from this. IF there is a setting we aren't aware of yet and it allows us to set an 'automatic delete' then this process is exactly the same as most of us thought. If it's a manual delete then it's clearly just the 'process' he's calling caching

SJRB

Gold Member
So how does this work exactly? If I play Killzone the game simultaneously caches 50gb to the harddrive, and when I quit playing the console deletes those files?

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
So I'm not really sure what the difference is..

Does that mean it partially plays off the disc?

it's automatic, not install but caching data

Where does it say you don't need 50 GB?
Why does CoD Ghost's box clearly says “MINIMUM 49 GB”?

What is the difference between caching, and install? Is it just words?
If it's caching, does it mean the background caching needs to be done each and every single time?

I'm just completely lost there.

Artex

Banned

I believe it would mean that reserved HDD space is not left permanent; its just required to be available while you play i.e. it is cached. Next game you play could use the same 50gb space.

Tratorn

Man, that sucks? I hope there'll be an option for full install, because I want better loading times and I don't want to hear the BR-drive.

tranciful

Where does it say you don't need 50 GB?
Why does CoD Ghost's box clearly says “MINIMUM 49 GB”?

What is the difference between caching, and install? Is it just words?
If it's caching, does it mean the background caching needs to be done each and every single time?

I'm just completely lost there.

You need 49GB free to hold the cache data, but after you're done playing some of that space can be used by other games. So CoD isn't reserving 49GB for itself at all times -- only while playing.

Squire

Banned
What's the difference?

You need a certain amount of free space on your HDD to play the games, but it just needs to be there - you're not actually going to use 50GB for CoD or 40GB for Shadowfall or whatever. Not unless you download the games.

That said: Go retail, people.

That article can't spell caching correctly and they don't know what they're talking about. You still need 100GB space to play Killzone and Ghosts.

jiggles

Banned
So how does this work exactly? If I play Killzone the game simultaneously caches 50gb to the harddrive, and when I quit playing the console deletes those files?

It probably treats game caches as "free" space on the hard drive and overwrites them when the space is needed, starting with the least most recently used cache.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital

It just uses space to cache the information as you play. Once you put another game in, it will then use that same space to cache that game. In other words you won't need to panic about space unless you fully install the game (assuming that's an option; which it probably will be)

dan2026

Download it.

Download 49GB of game?

I don't think so. Unless it is very compressed.

Also does this mean if I play CoD and it cashes its data, then play a different game, does the next time I play CoD mean it has to cash data all over again?

Caayn

Caching is not a perma install, probably takes data at the game start and remembers it until you change the game so playing game #2 will write over the same shared 50GB on the drive.
That's going to cause us to quickly burn through our SSDs and HDDs. And a lot of unnecessary noise.

I doubt that it's really caching what Yoshida means. And that he actually means automatic background installs.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
That article can't spell caching correctly and they don't know what they're talking about. You still need 100GB space to play Killzone and Ghosts.

No you don't, it's just a temporary cache while you are playing the game. Once you've finished the game or replaced it with another game, the process begins again and the cache is used for that game instead.

jwk94

It'll automatically delete it.

Caching is not a perma install, probably takes data at the game start and remembers it until you change the game so playing game #2 will write over the same shared 50GB on the drive.

You can play Killzone and then something else with the same 50GB of space for caching. Installs would mean every game has to have it's own space.

You need a certain amount of free space on your HDD to play the games, but it just needs to be there - you're not actually going to use 50GB for CoD or 40GB for Shadowfall or whatever. Not unless you download the games.

That said: Go retail, people.
Thanks guys. So this process is automatic and require no waiting like an install, right?

That's going to cause us to quickly burn through our SSDs and HDDs. And a lot of unnecessary noise.

I doubt that it's really caching what Yoshida means. And that he actually means automatic background installs.

That's what hard drives or SSD are constantly doing in a PC or your current PS3. It's not going to have any more adverse affect on its life than any other form of use.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I always wondered what the story was with hard drive use. The very original VG leaks spec info on PS4 talked about 'automatic caching to HDD'. I'm guessing it's a shared cache, by the way, not one that simply completely flushes after you change to a different game.

Tratorn

Download it.

I obviously won't pay these ridiculous PSN-prices.

So XB1 can install games and it has a resume-mode.
Two really important features for the year 2013 that should be standard and Sony should have seen the benefits on 360 for the first one. And only the 2nd one is confirmed to come to PS4 at a later date...

Top Bottom