• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS4 Details: Automatic Caching Games Not Install

I obviously won't pay these ridiculous PSN-prices.

So XB1 can install games and it has a resume-mode.
Two really important features for the year 2013 that should be standard and Sony should have seen the benefits on 360 for the first one. And only the 2nd one is confirmed to come to PS4 at a later date...

Go buy an Xbox One. No one will get angry.

Caayn

That's what hard drives or SSD are constantly doing in a PC or your current PS3. It's not going to have any more adverse affect on its life than any other form of use.
Yes it will. PC's are constantly doing it with small amounts of data. If the PS4 is going to cache 40GB+ of data every time you change your game, it will affect your hard drive.

Milennia

Dodged that ....

Good stuff, I'm happy i don't need to buy a laptop drive, sounded insane to install with those sizes.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
You all realize there's likely a choice between cache and full install right?

I don't see the relevance? People were worried their HDD would fill up quickly so this doesn't apply to those who aren't worried about installing everything.

Frumix

Suffering From Success

Two really important features for the year 2013 that should be standard and Sony should have seen the benefits on 360 for the first one. And only the 2nd one is confirmed to come to PS4 at a later date...

Nobody has bothered to read the original tweet, have they?
It isn't clear from the context if suspend Penello was talking about was low-power suspend or just regular go-to-menu suspend.

As for digital peeps... Sony should really just let us back up games onto an external HDD, Steam-style. That would solve everything.

Steroyd

matrix-dodge-o.gif

That means I can sit on the 500GB HDD until an at least 2TB HDD is avaiable or SSD's go cheaper.

MarionCB

Great news. I really prefer caching to mandatory installs. Though I can see why some people prefer to fully install. Will we still have the option to do a full install?

Portugeezer

Gold Member
Ok the more I read it the more I think this is a misunderstanding.

Yoshida probably didn't explain it well. Cerny's comments before:

"So, what we do as the game accesses the Blu-ray disc, is we take any data that was accessed and we put it on the hard drive. And if then if there is idle time, we go ahead and copy the remaining data to the hard drive. And what that means is after an hour or two, the game is on the hard drive, and you have access, you have dramatically quicker loading... And you have the ability to do some truly high-speed streaming."

That website jumped to conclusions, punctuation of article is questionable which makes me question their interpretations.

The way I see it, Yoshida is simply saying there are no mandatory installs ala PS3 style where you wait 15 - 20 minutes, it's done automatically in the background.

Until I see clear evidence saying otherwise I won't believe this article.

Jburton

Banned

You can full install also.

Venturer

Jumping the gun a bit? Did anyone say you can't full install from disc if you choose to.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I said it wasn't an install yet no one listened.

RaikuHebi

Banned
That article can't spell caching correctly and they don't know what they're talking about. You still need 100GB space to play Killzone and Ghosts.
The way I see it, Yoshida is simply saying there are no mandatory installs ala PS3 style where you wait 15 - 20 minutes, it's done automatically in the background.
Pretty much this.

Yoshida is just repeating what we've already known for months. You still need 50GB but the game will install it as you play, rather than having to wait for that full 50GB to install from the start.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Constantly deleting the cached data as you put another game in would pretty much destroy the purpose of caching anying in the first place, so I'm pretty sure this is wrong. Yoshida is just saying that this isn't "installs" as we know them on PS3, but rather a caching process that happens in the background. He doesn't say anything about whether every game needs its own cache space or not. So yeah, I'd say that first playing KZSF and then COD will result in almost 100 GB being used.

K' Dash

This is not a reliable source, there ARE complete game installs AFAIK, it has been said multiple times the games will install in the hdd as you play.

Unless there is an option where you can choose not to install them and do this, which makes no sense at all.

So the console should allocate and reserve about 50GB at all times?

If that is the case, then there is no point in pointing out that you need 50GB free space on the game box. Since your console should be reserving it automatically.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Pretty much this.

Yoshida is just repeating what we've already known for months. You still need 50GB but the game will install it as you play, rather than having to wait for that full 50GB to install from the start.

Again, no you don't. Read the OP. It's a cache, not an install. All it does (assuming every game is 50gb for arguments sake) is reduce the capacity of the 500gb HDD to 450gb, which to me is acceptable.

REV 09

50gb is a lot to cache. This doesn't make sense to me. I understood caching to be a very quick process, but even installing 50gb should take 15 minutes or more...so I don't see why you would need to cache the entire game and how they could do it quickly while playing.

zebwinz

No, in the OS you likely go to the disc section and click install....

That's how it's always worked on 360 but I think Yosp's tweet is a little vague/being misinterpreted after reading Cerny's quote above. Sounds almost like the more you play a game, the more the game installs itself instead of a full install right away.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Again, no you don't. Read the OP. It's a cache, not an install. All it does (assuming every game is 50gb for arguments sake) is reduce the capacity of the 500gb HDD to 450gb, which to me is acceptable.

That's not clear at all. Yoshida/Sony haven't said anything about there just being a single 50 GB cache used for all games or if every game needs its own space. That site is just making shit up. And as I wrote above, deleting the cache for a game as soon as you put another one in would pretty much make caching anything in the first place pointless.

Erasus

What's the difference?

I think its like this.
The games wont "claim" the space. Say you only have 50GB left on a drive, you play some KZ and it uses those last 50GB. Then you play CoDGhosts, the game wont say OH NO U HAVE NO SPACE!!! but the OS will delete the KZ cache and let the new game use that remaning 50GB. So it would re-cache everytime you play, IF you only have that little space.

Thats how I think this works...

spwolf

I always wondered what the story was with hard drive use. The very original VG leaks spec info on PS4 talked about 'automatic caching to HDD'. I'm guessing it's a shared cache, by the way, not one that simply completely flushes after you change to a different game.

games are probably designed to use this properly... also they mentioned before that they want to use both BD and HDD to actually speed up loading as it is faster to have both.

Yeah I think the article is misinterpreting, Sony has always said the games had mandatory installs but that they happened in the background. Remember English isn't this guys first language and this is just a tweet compared to the loads and loads of times I've read that the installs are mandatory.

Yes it will. PC's are constantly doing it with small amounts of data. If the PS4 is going to cache 40GB+ of data every time you change your game, it will affect your hard drive.

Hard drive spinning is a hard drive spinning. Makes no difference. But hey I'm only a hardware engineer. I don't know much

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Nothing I've said is contradictory to that.

You answered "pretty much this" to this post:

Which suggests to me that you still think it's an install and is permanent. It doesn't install, it caches.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I think its like this.
The games wont "claim" the space. Say you only have 50GB left on a drive, you play some KZ and it uses those last 50GB. Then you play CoDGhosts, the game wont say OH NO U HAVE NO SPACE!!! but the OS will delete the KZ cache and let the new game use that remaning 50GB. So it would re-cache everytime you play, IF you only have that little space.

Thats how I think this works...

Yep, this is what I'd bet on. Each game takes its own space as long as there is space available. If there's not, earlier cached data (probably the oldest or least recently accessed) gets deleted. Also, game data will probably never fill the entire HDD, but older data will start getting deleted as a certain limit is reached.

Ok the more I read it the more I think this is a misunderstanding.

Yoshida probably didn't explain it well. Cerny's comments before:

That website jumped to conclusions, punctuation of article is questionable which makes me question their interpretations.

Until I see clear evidence saying otherwise I won't believe this article.
That isn't caching, then, is it.

It is installation. He says 'no install'.

He also uses the term caching, and caching is not permanent. Installing is.

Artex

Banned
I can't believe how uninformed some of you are.

vEoccXn.jpg

This is in reference to the mandatory install noted on COD Ghosts of 50gb. Everyone was concerned that would be the norm for games this generation such as we had with mandatory installs for games this past generation. As it turns out, you do not need to do a mandatory install for these games. It is rather cached.

As for full installs not being possible, please tell me where in the fuck you read that in the OP.

You don't. It's a temporary install that is gone as soon as you switch games.

No you don't, it's just a temporary cache while you are playing the game. Once you've finished the game or replaced it with another game, the process begins again and the cache is used for that game instead.

No, you'd need 50GB of free space available to cache whenever you are playing one or there other.

Pretty much this.

I guess I'm wrong but caching your games doesn't seem like a very hardrive friendly feature to have. I guess I might also be wrong about this too.

Tratorn

Go buy an Xbox One. No one will get angry.

Why should I buy a console where I don't get many of the games I want? I'm just angry that MS probably has some features again, that're really important for me and should be an obvious task for the OS-devs at Sony.

You can full install also.

Could you please show me a good source for that?

Jumping the gun a bit? Did anyone say you can't full install from disc if you choose to.

But it's unlikely, otherwise there would be a real confirmation until now I think. I asked yosp already on twitter some weeks ago if the game could be fully installed before playing the game or if only the "installation while playing" would be possible. I didn't get an answer to that and now I probably know why.

But if I'm wrong and it is indeed possible I'll gladly post that I'm happy about that. ;)

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
That's not clear at all. Yoshida/Sony haven't said anything about there just being a single 50 GB cache used for all games or if every game needs its own space. That site is just making shit up. And as I wrote above, deleting the cache for a game as soon as you put another one in would pretty much make caching anything in the first place pointless.

Did you overlook the 'for arguments sake' comment I made? It might be 5 - 6 - 7 - 10 - 100 ... yes, yes, I know that. And why would it make it pointless, unless you are going to play 10 minutes of one game and then 10 minutes of another?

Lion

What is the benefit of a full install if you still need the disc to play the games? In both cases cache or install, the game is streamed from the HDD isn't it? so I really fail to see the difference here.

I'm assuming load times wont be a problem as most games will stream their data from the very second you hit play "X" game and will continue to do so as you play.

Is there any other reason to install a game if load times stay the same whether is caching or install?

Bailers

No, you'd need 50GB of free space available to cache whenever you are playing one or there other.

And I'm perfectly happy keeping 50 gigs free at all times to play a game. Much better than PS3 era where I was deleting and reinstalling on a regular basis, even on a 500 gb drive.

I don't like this to be honest.

I'd rather just keep the cache then delete it when I want. This makes it more of an on the fly installation.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Did you overlook the 'for arguments sake' comment I made? It might be 5 - 6 - 7 - 10 - 100 ... yes, yes, I know that. And why would it make it pointless, unless you are going to play 10 minutes of one game and then 10 minutes of another?

I just think it would be rather stupid to make an important feature like this only work if you always only play a single game from start to finish without ever putting another one in during that time. I just don't buy that. Each game requiring its own space (if there's space available) is much more likely, and would make the caching much more useful.

Top Bottom