• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Quake Live Screens, Info (Carmack Interview)

1-D_FTW said:
I played the Shawn Elliot way. DC controller for movement, mouse for aiming. Online was surprisingly good assuming you didn't have a LPB join a group of 3 HPBs.
Wow I remember being so pwned with the DC pad that I even changed my name to killme once. The game was fun but hell all those bunny hoppers can fucking die.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Lol, LPBs and HPBs. It's a sign of the times that nobody uses these any more, eh? Do any of our younger readers even know what that means? :lol

God bless the 21st century!

(I was an HPB. Dammit)

SLYspyda

Banned
Phife Dawg said:
Read the interview.

Wait, you liked BOTH Quake 1 and 2 but did not like 3? I think you must be the only guy on the planet. I still remember the outcry of the Quake 1 players when Quake 2 was introduced. Quake 3 was what most could agree on (after the initial outcry of both camps) since the rl was a bit faster now, they kept the rail but re-introduced the lightning gun/shaft and the game was quicker than Q2 but not as fast as Q1. Best of both worlds.

Yawn. I still play Q2ctf almost every night. Yeah, the rl in Q2 is slower, but it's better that way. Q2 is slow? Hm, you should join a server one of these days, maybe it was slow back then when everyone was a noob, but now, skills have been pushed to the limit, and the game is extremely fast paced. Quake 2 has always been deemed as the best in the series. Why do you think they went back to a Q2 atmosphere for Quake 4?

Draft

saelz8 said:
You play fullscreen by default, I believe. Server browsing, statistics, game initiation and all that jazz is done through the browser.
If it's anything like Legions, you can run it natively full screen. I play the Legions beta at 1680x1050, no window.

1-D_FTW said:
Yeah. Just cycle through them with the mouse wheel. It's not like there wasn't a hierarchy to what you wanted to use anyway. I think you could set weapons to not auto-switch upon collection. So if you picked up a rocket launcher, then you'd just scroll to it.

I wouldn't wanna use the setup now, but it was a good starting point for someone not used to the m/k setup.
Ouch, you would've gotten eaten alive.

SLYspyda said:
Yawn. I still play Q2ctf almost every night. Yeah, the rl in Q2 is slower, but it's better that way. Q2 is slow? Hm, you should join a server one of these days, maybe it was slow back then when everyone was a noob, but now, skills have been pushed to the limit, and the game is extremely fast paced. Quake 2 has always been deemed as the best in the series. Why do you think they went back to a Q2 atmosphere for Quake 4?
Huh? The multi in Q4 resembles Q3 pretty much with the addition of crouch sliding and some tweaks here and there. If you are talking about the single player, that sucked donkey balls in Q4 even though I liked Q2 single player back in the days. It's just that the formula got old. If you are refering to "atmosphere" in the multiplayer part I don't think any competitive player would care one bit. I played Lego Quake, just like 99% of all the other competitive players.

As for the speed there's no denying that in terms of speed it's Q1>Q3>Q2 whether or not that's a good thing is up for anyone's preference. If you want to see fast paced games download some demos of SK playing Q1 - the difference to Q2 is huge.

And Q2 is most certainly not regarded as the best in the series in terms of multiplayer. Maybe that's your opinion, to which everyone is entitled but the Q1 scene is just as vocal as Q2's and Q3's. This is a question that all comes down to numbers and the Q3 scene was the biggest and competitive play made the biggest leaps with big competitions, leagues etc.

AlexM

I just hope they have a quick hide button for when the boss comes around to look over your shoulders :D

Shnookums

SLYspyda said:
Quake 2 has always been deemed as the best in the series. Why do you think they went back to a Q2 atmosphere for Quake 4?

Haha, what? By Quake 2 fans I guess. I've never seen anything approaching a consensus on which of the series was the best.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
q1 was obviously the best! best deathmatch, best ctf (e4 maps ftw), the start of teamfortress and best speed runs! man i wasted a lot of my life on that game

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I'm actually curious about running this through the Wii web browser. I can only imagine Quake 3 Arena with teh waggle. :D

Grayman

New link to the article? the one in the OP wasn't working.

Prime crotch said:
Wow I remember being so pwned with the DC pad that I even changed my name to killme once. The game was fun but hell all those bunny hoppers can fucking die.
You can strafe jump in VQ3, you cannot bunnyhop. bunny hopping is when you go faster in corners instead of a mostly straight line.

puebla said:
whatever happened to the wolfenstein game? has it been cancelled?
Wolfenstein? The next-gen one that they announced who knows when or something else?! Either way, I'm ready for more Nazi and Zombie time too.

Nizz

YES! I really only play console fps but I'm very anxious to play Q3. Had a lot of fun with the Dreamcast version. This'll be one of the only games I can play on my pos PC. Will play as soon as it releases. Mouse & keyboard, here I come ;)

Giard said:
So..that means no mods? Team Arena, Rocket Arena and Freeze Tag would be awesome for XBLA...
I doubt, Free tag, team area, rocket arena, etc. etc. practically made Quake 3 for me.

mr stroke said:
:(

so much for my chances of playing at work...
Use a flash disk.

Top Bottom