• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Resident Evil 5 screens

Dartastic

danwarb said:
I think the opposite is true. Model detail is very high but texturing could be better. What was it with Dead Rising, 4 million polygons per frame? I'm sure RE5 will be drawing more polygons per frame than anything else on the consoles. The main characters there are incredibly detailed. So are the zombies and we know there'll always be plenty of those about.

I see your point. I'm looking at the straw (most notably in the first screen where Chris and Shiva are in the water with the crocs are around them) and the various tubes/pipes/whatever. They just seem... weak.
Like they're going to attempt to port this game to the Wii? I kid, I kid.
Maybe my taste/expectations have changed, but it seems like the detail in these newest shots has definitely lessened from when they first started showing this title. I also haven't played the demo, so take that as you will.

{Mike}

Banned
I think I've seen somewhere that Jill will be in the game, as a mansion to explore which is a tribute to the very first RE. Better still, near the end, you'll have an epilogue where you have to fight an outbreak of zombies in an american city. This part will see you (Chris) and Jill (Sheva actually dies) joining forces with Leon and Barry. You'll get to choose your teammate and eradicate running/slow/mutated zombies in a skyscrapper where Hunk deliberately unleashed a virus to try and destroy the city because his master, Wesker, dies at the hands of Chris in Kijuju. The true final boss actually is Hunk, and the virus used is a sample of the T virus he stole in RE2 special mode.

Obviously speculation lol

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
I don't have any friends so the co-op focussed element might kill this game for me. Hopefully you'll be able to just join a random person or something.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Dartastic said:
Sadly, I thought the same thing when I looked at the majority of the screens. Some of the huts and whatnot look like they've had a nice texture placed on top of something with like, 8 polis. Not really, but you get the idea. Regardless, it's gonna be one hella sweet game.
It looks so good to those who've played the demo because they realise how great it actually looks in motion.

Dot50Cal made this GIF from the demo, it shows some of the awesome effects Capcom have implemented. It isn't scripted, it's just the result of a grenade going off. There's some more from the recent insect boss-fight gameplay video, but the speed of my internet at the moment (dialup speed thanks to me exceeding my bandwidth limit) means trying to find them would take about 30 minutes, but they're also pretty good.
2mg87xj.gif

Cday

Banned
Always-honest said:
yeah, i know. some want it to be the same as RE4. i just think the dead space controls are a logical evolution. and better.

It would take out a lot of the suspense and most of all it would make the game way too easy. It would be just another action game.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Cday said:
It would take out a lot of the suspense and most of all it would make the game way too easy. It would be just another action game.
That's the simple way of putting it, and misses some key points, but at a base level I agree. It isn't, however, worth retreading this in yet another thread I feel. ;)

Morts

This just keeps looking better and better. I've been playing the hell out of the demo lately (though I had to switch back to RE4 style controls, guess I'm the minority) and I can't wait for the full game much longer. I just hope it's as replayable as 4, and that there aren't any major issues with the PS3 version.

danmaku

Wii said:
PLEASE BE ON PC, SO I CAN WIIMOTE + PIEGLOVE THIS MOFO UP

Don't worry, they'll port it. Capcom seems really interested in pc market (DMC4 port was awesome), they'll just wait for the hype to calm down after the release and then announce the port. Hope they won't screw up like they did with RE4, I really want to play this with a mouse (a Wiimote is fine too).

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
danmaku said:
Don't worry, they'll port it. Capcom seems really interested in pc market (DMC4 port was awesome), they'll just wait for the hype to calm down after the release and then announce the port. Hope they won't screw up like they did with RE4, I really want to play this with a mouse (a Wiimote is fine too).
I can't wait for the PC version. Mouse controls, community mods, the possibility of an extra mode and online gaming in general will make it awesome.

It's great to have a PC capable of running most games at max settings (I just upgraded). :D

Lakitu

st5fu
{Mike} said:
I think I've seen somewhere that Jill will be in the game, as a mansion to explore which is a tribute to the very first RE. Better still, near the end, you'll have an epilogue where you have to fight an outbreak of zombies in an american city. This part will see you (Chris) and Jill (Sheva actually dies) joining forces with Leon and Barry. You'll get to choose your teammate and eradicate running/slow/mutated zombies in a skyscrapper where Hunk deliberately unleashed a virus to try and destroy the city because his master, Wesker, dies at the hands of Chris in Kijuju. The true final boss actually is Hunk, and the virus used is a sample of the T virus he stole in RE2 special mode.

Obviously speculation lol

Holy shit now that would rule :(

davygee

Banned
It looks good, but lets not get carried away!

The games been in development for a long time and I would expect it to look the best if not one of the best multiplatform games around next year, but being totally honest. The graphics looked amazing early this year, when they were initially shown, but they haven't developed/enhanced any further since then and since the unveiling of the game, there has been quite a few great looking games on the market and with now K2 and U2 being revealed in all their glory, they don't quite stand up to those games yet.

The modelling of the main characters is brilliant, but overall the texture work is pretty sub-standard.

deepbrown

Kukuk said:
Looks incredible. I just hope Capcom does the PS3 version justice. I really don't trust Capcom when it comes to working with the PS3's hardware...
It looks the same on both consoles. Played both. Looked better on PS3 for the simple fact that it was on a huge Bravia.

Gomu Gomu

sykoex said:
I don't have any friends so the co-op focussed element might kill this game for me. Hopefully you'll be able to just join a random person or something.

I presume you haven't played the demo right?

The AI of the other character is solid, and the game is still enjoyable in single player.

Cday said:

nope. did you play dead space?
it just feels weird nowadays to be froxzen to the ground. there are better ways to make a game difficult.

edit: doesn't mean i won't play it though.. i loved RE4 so i'll be bound to like this one as well..

Thrakier

Kukuk said:
Looks incredible. I just hope Capcom does the PS3 version justice. I really don't trust Capcom when it comes to working with the PS3's hardware...

Because DMC4 looked much worse on the PS3, right?

Splatt

Cday said:

But.... isn't that what RE5 is? An action game?

Adamant

Banned
I don't know what I think about the control. I think it controls fine the way it is now, smoother control would make it easier, but it would further take away anything unique about the game. With the amount of people that complain about Resident Evil no longer being survival horror because there isn't tank controls and you can actually see where you're aiming now...

The-Switcher said:
An awesome blowjob is still a blowjob a few years later.

Not if it has someone else's sloppy seconds still leftover.

It think its a wise idea to not stray too far from the RE4 formula, but when there are levels that look very similar in design it reeks of a GRAW 2 type sequel.

Cday

Banned
Always-honest said:
nope. did you play dead space?
it just feels weird nowadays to be frozen to the ground. there are better ways to make a game difficult.

edit: doesn't mean i won't play it though.. i loved RE4 so i'll be bound to like this one as well..

Yeah, I'm on chapter 4.

I see what you're saying but they're not the same kind of survival horror at all. What I meant by "just another action game" is the same thing you mean by "there are better ways to make a game difficult". Make the enemies stronger and faster with more...gimmicks if you will.

Also what I mean by saying they're not the same kind of survival horror is. Dead Space is close quarters, shit jumps out at you and tears you apart, there's no retreat. RE5 is a run run run you get cornered you die type of deal.

I wouldn't have a problem with both control styles being in the game and letting the player choose what they want but there would have to be a lot of gameplay changes to make it practical. I don't see that happening with 3 months left to release.

Cday said:
Yeah, I'm on chapter 4.

I see what you're saying but they're not the same kind of survival horror at all. What I meant by "just another action game" is the same thing you mean by "there are better ways to make a game difficult". Make the enemies stronger and faster with more...gimmicks if you will.

Also what I mean by saying they're not the same kind of survival horror is. Dead Space is close quarters, shit jumps out at you and tears you apart, there's no retreat. RE5 is a run run run you get cornered you die type of deal.

I wouldn't have a problem with both control styles being in the game and letting the player choose what they want but there would have to be a lot of gameplay changes to make it practical. I don't see that happening with 3 months left to release.

yeah, and it has been discussed to death. i'll be more than happy to play the game with the controls as they are. but it allready felt a little weird in RE4. the slow strafing in dead space seems perfect for the job to me personally. won't happen though, i'm aware of that :p

edit: you've got some sweet chapters to go by the way!

Banned
bobbytkc said:
wth are you guys so excited about? It looks good, but not THAT good.

Apparently many of us do believe it looks THAT good. I have been saying it is the best looking game since the demo.

davygee

Banned
Karma said:
Apparently many of us do believe it looks THAT good. I have been saying it is the best looking game since the demo.

As I stated earlier...a year ago, it looked the dogs ballz, but now it looks good but not outstandingly good, in my opinion. There are too many games that looks as good as or better.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
broadwayrock said:
Not if it has someone else's sloppy seconds still leftover.

It think its a wise idea to not stray too far from the RE4 formula, but when there are levels that look very similar in design it reeks of a GRAW 2 type sequel.
Yep, you did it. You made one of the worst comparisons I've read on this board in quite a while.

Bravo!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
jett said:
The lighting can be seriously drab and just plain flat in some screens. This game has consistently failed to impress ever since real gameplay was shown this year. Capcom shouldn't have tried to bullshit us with this trailer:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/22801.html :/
You trying to live up to your tag isn't endearing, it's just annoying. :p

Rez>You said:
Yep, you did it. You made one of the worst comparisons I've read on this board in quite a while.

Bravo!

Wasn't one of the criticisms of GRAW 2 was that it was too similar to the first and not enough of an upgrade to warrant a '2' tag?

I don't doubt there will be more variety in the final game than they're showing us, but so far the wooden huts on water and the industrialized factory designs look way too similar to RE4 in design (not graphical quality)

JimiNutz

Banned
Still looks good, but pics of this game don't blow my mind like they did a year ago.
I suppose overall that's a good thing really.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
broadwayrock said:
Wasn't one of the criticisms of GRAW 2 was that it was too similar to the first and not enough of an upgrade to warrant a '2' tag?

I don't doubt there will be more variety in the final game than they're showing us, but so far the wooden huts on water and the industrialized factory designs look way too similar to RE4 in design (not graphical quality)
GRAW 2 was churned out with a bare minimum amount of development time, running on the exact same engine as the first game, using many of the same assets.

RE5, whether you like or loathe the direction Capcom have taken, has at the very least had a lot of sweat, tears and love poured into it over the past four years. The effort is there, which makes the GRAW 2 comparison a bit offensive.

But hey, I'm probably just arguing over semantics. You mightn't have meant it in that way. :lol

Count Jobula

Neo Member
I'm seeing such mixed feedback but I'd be lying if I won't at least try this. RE4 was so good, that it's almost an impossibility that I won't try it.

Always-honest said:
yeah, and it has been discussed to death. i'll be more than happy to play the game with the controls as they are. but it allready felt a little weird in RE4. the slow strafing in dead space seems perfect for the job to me personally. won't happen though, i'm aware of that :p
You can slowly strafe in the RE5 demo like you can in Dead Space. :D

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
His arms get bigger with every set of screenshots. Maybe you can buy roids during the game.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Y2Kev said:
His arms get bigger with every set of screenshots. Maybe you can buy roids during the game.
not enough cash, stranger

Adamant

Banned
Y2Kev said:

Dude, he's gotta be able to bench several tons if he can hold a croc's mouth open when it's biting down on him. I can't wait until I can pick up some trucks and throw them at zombies and punch through 2 feet of solid steel!

Rez>You said:
GRAW 2 was churned out with a bare minimum amount of development time, running on the exact same engine as the first game, using many of the same assets.

RE5, whether you like or loathe the direction Capcom have taken, has at the very least had a lot of sweat, tears and love poured into it over the past four years. The effort is there, which makes the GRAW 2 comparison a bit offensive.

But hey, I'm probably just arguing over semantics. You mightn't have meant it in that way. :lol

I know how much effort Capcom put into RE games, that is why it seems a little off to me that they would use scenarios so similar to those in RE4. Maybe they're keeping their cards close to their chests and the real wtf moments will appear later in the game.

zoukka

Y2Kev said:

Haha the "spreading wings" punch is all the more awesome with those mutant hands.

A word about Dead Space. People rave about the strafing and that makes me mad. I'm in chapter six in Dead Space and the only time I have used Strafe was when you confront the big enemies that ram towards you. I mean Dead Space gets mentioned in every RE5 thread because of this, yet the game almost never forces you to use it.

And another thing. The way to kill these monsters in DS is to wait for them to start ramming and sidestep away to blast their vulnerable back. I mean how retarded is it to praise something like that when in RE4 you had all these different kinds of enemies with different strategies and weak-points??

Please think before you flame Capgods.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Rez>You said:
You trying to live up to your tag isn't endearing, it's just annoying. :p
It hurts more when it's a game your hyped for. Don't get down, the story and gameplay is where it's at in this one. Visuals are fine but a little drab, like Jett mentioned. Now about those controls
don't shoot me

Top Bottom