• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Resident Evil 5 screens

Tom Penny said:
Is it true they didn't even refine the controls and they basically suck? That's the impression I got from people who played the demo.
For the new control scheme, this is pretty much the case.

Type A controls (Resident Evil 4 type) are good, though.

Thrakier

I'm more annoyed by the fact that the gameplay feels old, without immersion. It's more like a shooting range. Run to point A, turn around, shoot. Run to point B, turn around, shoot. Run back to point A, turn around, shoot. Oh, what do we have there, a explosion barrel? Shoot. And so on and so on. I don't say that the game isn't fun in a way and I'll buy it, but that's not good game design there I think.

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
Some pics are awesome, others are shitty. So, following Shotbull's Postulate, the game will look shitty. Sorry guys.
Also, why so brown.

News Bot

Banned
Giant crocodiles = fuckwin.

Two Chainsaw Majini at the same time = fuck yeah.

Also, the controls and textures are perfectly fine. They already have two control schemes, what the christ else do you want? RAWR RUN AND SHOOT option would just break the game and take away any of it's "Survival Horror" value, which would suck ass since they're doing a better job of making it a nice blend of Survival Horror/Action than RE4 which was pure action.

These aren't PR bullshots either, the game seriously looks like this. http://www.the-horror.com/index.php?id=re5screens

And that's just a capture card, through component. HDMI will also churn out even more awesome, deeper blacks and more vibrant colours. On that note, what's with all the "lol no colour" bull? Turn up your saturation or something. From the demo, the game is more colourful than pretty much most other game's this gen.

The textures (like in the demo) won't be noticeable with the proper lighting and the game's impressive use of motion blurring. Judging a game entirely based on a few screenshots (one frame) is pretty laughable.

Thrakier

News Bot said:
Also, the controls and textures are perfectly fine. They already have two control schemes, what the christ else do you want? RAWR RUN AND SHOOT option would just break the game and take away any of it's "Survival Horror" value

Played Dead Space? I don't want to RUN and SHOOT, I just want at least to walk slowly and shoot. Or not shoot WHILE walking but at least walk while I have the gun ready. In the moment for me it breaks the immersion, it doesn't help the atmosphere, it feels clunky.

Also, I like the graphics overall, but the lighting is not that great. It looked much better in the trailers imo.

Station42

fernoca said:
"OMG Resident Evil is so awesome; it redefines everything" (directed by Mikami)
"But Resident Evil 2 plays like Resident Evil"
"But Resident Evil 3 plays like Resident Evil "
"But Resident Evil Code Veronica plays like Resident Evil"
"But Resident Evil: Remake plays like Resident Evil" (directed by Mikami)
"But Resident Evil Ø plays like Resident Evil"
"OMG Resident Evil 4 is so awesome; it redefines everything" (directed by Mikami)
"But Resident Evil 5 plays like Resident Evil 4"

Guess I missed the memo..

I think I see a pattern.

Thrakier said:
Played Dead Space? I don't want to RUN and SHOOT, I just want at least to walk slowly and shoot. Or not shoot WHILE walking but at least walk while I have the gun ready. In the moment for me it breaks the immersion, it doesn't help the atmosphere, it feels clunky.

Also, I like the graphics overall, but the lighting is not that great. It looked much better in the trailers imo.

I'm sure that someone mentioned in the demo thread that Capcom were working on another control scheme. No idea what it will be like, but I guess they might add walking while aiming.

I don't personally have any issues with the controls as they are, played through the demo dozens of times and loved it.

[Nintex]

Wow these shots looks amazing and if the demo is any indication it's going to look alot better in motion, with both Resident Evil 5 and Street Fighter IV releasing early next year 2009 starts with a bang:D

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
U K Narayan said:
It's bad because it does nothing to push the series forward. In some cases, I actually thought the demo was worse than Resident Evil 4. Granted, it is only a demo. I'll reserve my complete judgment when the game comes out.

Actually, the strafing is pretty pointless in RE5, because you can't point and shoot. Dead Space has better controls than RE5.

Dont be stupid. A great polished game is infinitely better than just innovating for the sake of it. Everyone has known it would be very close to RE4, cause RE4 was fucking amazing. If you havent come to terms with that by now, you need help

Ploid 3.0

Thrakier said:

Part of the reason I got sick of Code Veronica was the way it controlled (I had enough of it at that point. Played it on PS2, it was time for a change). The other parts were the fact the game took too long, and the gameplay wasn't interesting. I didn't play RE4 but I played Dead Space, and I liked the controls a lot and could see it being possible for a RE game. Maybe RE6 Virus Unleashed: Umbrella Chronicles.

To me RE2 is still the greatest point in the series. I was actually scared by it, and tense playing it. Darn Lickers. It sounded like RE4 was more of a action game and not scary at all.

Davey Cakes

fernoca said:
"OMG Resident Evil is so awesome; it redefines everything"
"But Resident Evil: Remake plays like Resident Evil"
"OMG Resident Evil 4 is so awesome; it redefines everything"

Yeah yeah, I've heard this many times. Hard to disagree if you look at it straight up as if Resident Evil 5 is just as unique as RE4 was three years ago.

The other Resident Evil games, while all relatively similar in how they play, were some of the only games like that which you could find. They were a series, and they had a certain audience; the kind who didn't mind getting used to the controls in order to enjoy the goodness of shooting the undead while confined in claustrophobic areas and tense situations of isolation. Other than the older series like Alone in the Dark or series that ran simulataneously like Dino Crisis, Resident Evil didn't have much competition. Not in the survival horror, not with the control schemes and rendered backgrounds.

RE5 is a different story. RE4 redefined Resident Evil and in a way the survival-horror genre. This was one of the things that made it great. However, it wasn't just the gameplay, it was the fact that the game became more action-oriented while still sticking to the Resident Evil mood quite well. Thus, the game felt new, the game felt unique, and therefore felt special. Not only that, but it felt like the beginning of an evolution, not just the evolution itself. People predicted that that other games would take RE4's methods of perspective and aiming and utilize them, and a few years later, it seems like nearly all third-person shooters and action games utilize this system. You'd expect RE5 to take what RE4 did and expand more in a way that favors the survival-horror genre, but no. What it looks like, and I hope I am jumping the gun here, is that RE5 took the locales of RE4, tweaked them a bit, implemented them, and then took all its other aspects from other action games to create the entire experience, therefore making it look to have lost its unique edge. People notice that kind of stuff.

When Capcom decides to make the game more co-op centric and decides to use the "more enemies = more tension" method, as well as recycling gameplay from RE4, I think there's certainly more reason for people to be a little more indifferent towards it than they could've been towards the other, previous Resident Evil sequels. I mean, from the looks of things, RE5 is an action game, and this time around, it has quite a good amount of competition. Therefore, while it may be a good game, it still might just look a little stale to certain people.

So, in short, I believe that the whole "if 'old RE' stuck around for so long, people shouldn't be giving 'new RE' problems" argument is a little weak.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
News Bot said:
Giant crocodiles = fuckwin.

Two Chainsaw Majini at the same time = fuck yeah.

Also, the controls and textures are perfectly fine. They already have two control schemes, what the christ else do you want? RAWR RUN AND SHOOT option would just break the game and take away any of it's "Survival Horror" value, which would suck ass since they're doing a better job of making it a nice blend of Survival Horror/Action than RE4 which was pure action.

If I was being attacked by zombies or nightmare fuel, I'd be running and shooting. It is still possible to being a scary game with good controls. Being able to avoid enemies better while limiting ammo, emphasizing both fight in some situations and flight in others is possible. Someone with the creativity to do it just needs to put the pieces together...and the Dead Space sound team

mittelos

Daayum! Giant crocs are pure win. Love the pics, love the demo, Capcom gimme the game! As far as controls, scheme D plus "fastest" aiming is perfect for me.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I was really excited for this, but now the more of it I see, the less interested I am. It seems like they're messing it up.

Shoogoo

Eaten By A Grue said:
Joseph Stalin confirmed

20zqyi1.jpg

:lol

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Oldschoolgamer said:
And you wouldn't hit the side of a barnyard and end up wasting bullets.

Says you. Maybe if it was pure nightmare fuel. Regular nightmare fuel I might graze them. In the face

Then stupidly run and hide in a closet. You are never safe in a closet

Facism

sometimes i think the controls are only an excuse for them to save having to actually redo any AI from re4.

HK-47 said:
Dont be stupid. A great polished game is infinitely better than just innovating for the sake of it.
You're absolutely right. I'm all for well planned innovation in any game. However, the inclusion of mandatory cooperation in Resident Evil 5, to me, feels like "innovating for the sake of it".

I suppose when I said: "It's bad because it does nothing to push the series forward." - I really should have said: It's bad because it does nothing to push the series forward in a positive manner.

Everyone has known it would be very close to RE4, cause RE4 was fucking amazing. If you havent come to terms with that by now, you need help
Oh, I've definitely come to terms with this. In fact, from the get-go, it's been very obvious that 98% of RE5's mechanics will derive from Resident Evil 4 - which definitely isn't a bad thing. It's just that, if the demo is representative of the final product, this game will fail in the department of quality and polish when compared to RE4. However, as I've previously stated, it is a demo, and I'm reserving my absolute judgment until I play and complete the final game.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I didn't like any of the screens shown thus far. But after playing the demo and seeing it in motion. My god.

Thrakier said:

My feelings exactly. There's no reason you shouldn't be able to move and shoot, or like Thrakier said, at least have the gun aimed and ready while walking.

Ploid 3.0

Facism said:
sometimes i think the controls are only an excuse for them to save having to actually redo any AI from re4.

I think so too. The AI seems to have a long delay on when they can attack in the videos. Like a rpg or something. You attack, they attack. This is the same in Dead Space (I'm not mentioning it for wars, but to discuss the RE5 here) but they also present challenges and tactics. It's not impossible to make it work and still tense (I doubt they're going for scary, and who'd be scared with those arms).

fernoca said:
"OMG Resident Evil is so awesome; it redefines everything"
"But Resident Evil: Remake plays like Resident Evil"
"OMG Resident Evil 4 is so awesome; it redefines everything"

Pretty much.

Code Veronica was so last gen when it debuted.

no it wasn't

*how do I put stuff in spoiler tags?*

teiresias

Vustadumas said:
My feelings exactly. There's no reason you shouldn't be able to move and shoot, or like Thrakier said, at least have the gun aimed and ready while walking.

In order for blood to get to his fingers to actually pull the trigger every ounce of it has to be drained from his legs and pumped into his hands in order to get through those arms of his - hence he can't move his legs.

These graphics will do I guess. I mean, it's no Among Thieves or Heavy Rain, but looks nice.

Great screens. I think this may end up being my least favorite RE as far as the actual environments though :(. Odd looking African looking village during darker rainy weather, fairly broken down african city, interesting cave environment, sun falling while you play on what looks like a mountain range...

Its all fairly appealing visually, and I fucking LOVE the demo, but a part of me is ready to get through this game (which again...I'm sure I'll love) and get back to anticipating another game with limitless potential (change in formula? RC environments? T-Virus? GraphiX?!).

So lets get this party started already...

RyuHayate

U K Narayan said:
Well, given what we've seen in the trailers, Wesker is still going to wreck him. :lol

Maybe at first! :D

I'm just picturing the most bad ass boss fight imaginable between those two (well, three counting Sheva).

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'm sucker for diversity in environments, so seeing these screens and comparing them to what whe have seen in previous trailers just makes me froth at the mouth.

FartOfWar

Banned
Tom Penny said:
I'm not feeling the color palette nor the textures or lack thereof. Maybe it's the art. DMC looks better IMO.

Comments in this thread are killing me. You see those screens and arrive at these conclusions? I can't wait to play it, last thing I'm sweating is a texture.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
FartOfWar said:
Comments in this thread are killing me. You see those screens and arrive at these conclusions? I can't wait to play it, last thing I'm sweating is a texture.
Sing it.

Graphics...honestly?

My only complaints there are that the gore effects are somewhat fruity and I'm used to arms and bodies literally falling apart under gunfire after playing Left 4 Dead and Gears 2.

zoukka

There's one problem here. You keep on touting to change the controls yet the formula was proven by one of the most immersive/greatest action game ever (RE4). It really isn't that complicated.

And the Dead Space card can fly, because in DS you could avoin pretty much any basic enemies by walking backwards and not hitting a wall. Those infant-enemies have in fact never hit me in that game... tells you something about the game design.

Dark FaZe said:
My only complaints there are that the gore effects are somewhat fruity and I'm used to arms and bodies literally falling apart under gunfire after playing Left 4 Dead and Gears 2.
Because gore and tits make a good game, you know.

Thrakier

zoukka said:
And the Dead Space card can fly, because in DS you could avoin pretty much any basic enemies by walking backwards and not hitting a wall. Those infant-enemies have in fact never hit me in that game... tells you something about the game design.

No you couldn't because they were faster than you. Also, you are a great player, congrats for not beeing hit once, unbelievable.

RE5 ist lazy game design through and through.

zoukka

Well I didn't mean "infinitely" dodge the enemies (poor wording), but on hard I really don't have any problems dealing with masses of enemies even without stasis. You just back away and shoot their legs and their practically dead then no matter how close or plentiful they are.

Thrakier said:
Also, you are a great player, congrats for not beeing hit once, unbelievable.

By the infant enemies. I mean they scream on the wall for 5 seconds and then blast some slo-ass projectiles you need one sidestep to evade. Yeah I'm a champ.

RE5 ist lazy game design through and through.

Like RE4 was? Yeah the complaints were massive for that game from media and gamers.

Speaking of lazy game design Dead Space is a prime example. Kinesis and stasis feel completely tacked on. Stasis is more fun, but it kills all the suspense with the bigger enemies.

Top Bottom