• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New screens/artworks for Super Mario 3D World : Peach sure is hot

JordanN

Banned
I believe the current record-holder is Ayane in Ninja Gaiden 3.
She's not actually the highest.

The vehicles in Forza 4 had LOD's up to a million. The clown = cartoon clown which isn't exactly hard to smooth out.

Edit: I don't even think it's the geometry giving that appearance. It's the uniform lighting that makes it look like smoothing groups. It's the same fakery current gen has been doing (i.e normal maps).

Roo

I dunno, I think he just didn't know what he was doing. He stops trying after the rep tells him he's messing things up, then the rep solves it for them.

Didn't know that.
Doesn't change the fact that they suck at these games.
Same goes for Eurogamer and other "journalists"

Lijik

I'm seriously digging all of the new enemy designs. These cloud fellows, the metal jester, the lava rocks, the long-necked birds, the rats, the ants, the Soviet Whomps, etc. This is the huge infusion of new iconography the series needed. Something new for everything old!

I do too, they look like a modernized version of 1930s cartoons. Especially the Jester!

The fire versions should just use main character color and white, not red :(

c4osOYB.png

It's a reference to her original SMB dress.

fQryXX9.png

I'm not saying anything new, but I've come to believe that this game has the staggering creativity of Nintendo's classics including Galaxy, but within a format that they clearly think is more broadly accessible than Galaxy. I think this is going to be a ton of fun.

Seik

Banned
Holy shit this game looks soooo fucking goooooooood, my god!!!! :O

The more I see the more I'm impressed, I'm sure it'll be even better in motion.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
This is basically the sequel to my GOTY 2012, favorite game on 3DS and probably the best game Nintendo has made in the past five years. Even better than SMG2 thanks to tighetr controls / no waggle. Could not be more excited.

Rather impressed by what I'm seeing here. Maybe not enough to buy a Wii U for one game, but hats off to Nintendo for doing something fresh with SMB.

OmegaDL50

QVcO99i.jpgi

Bullet Bill train in the background with Bullet Bill cats, fuck yeah.

CAT. BULLET. BILL

I've noticed there is also Cat Goombas.

I've just wondered if this was a mechanic in which enemies could steal power ups or something but seeing how there is another cat bullet being fired out of the cannon, I guess not.

I posted about this a few pages back, you can see the SMB1 and SMB2-Japan sprites in the bottom-right of this pic.

So all that time Peach was secretly powered up, acting all damsel-in-distress-y. What a troll.

Also, has there been any art released of mini Peach? She looks damn adorable in some of the playthroughs.

RagnarokX

It's a reference to her original SMB dress.

fQryXX9.png
It's also a reference to Mario Sunshine, where she sported a very light pink dress with pink accents and a ponytail:
RtPL15d.jpg

CAT. BULLET. BILL

I've noticed there is also Cat Goombas.

I've just wondered if this was a mechanic in which enemies could steal power ups or something but seeing how there is another cat bullet being fired out of the cannon, I guess not.
Cat banzai bills, sheeeeeesh!

3D Land was full of tanooki versions of enemies, as well. They even had tanooki thwomps. They behave differently from normal versions of enemies.

There's just something I love about EAD Tokyo's enemy designs in 3D Land/World, even when compared to their work in the Galaxy games or EAD No. 4's work in the NSMB series. They remind me so much of Nintendo's early CG renders from the '90s used in promotional packaging and magazines.

For example, the Stingby from 3D Land is just a pure and classic looking bee design, with its simple geometry, expressive eyes and smooth "rendered" textures:

150px-Stingby_SM3DL.png

And yet even within the same universe (and from the same developer), you get relatively more complex and cutesy looking bee designs that suit a different purpose in Galaxy:

While the first game was working around the limitations of the 3DS, I have to think the simpler designs in the 3D Land/World games are intentionally trying to recreate that retro look from Nintendo's first foray into the 3D era.

Jaeger

The graphics are incredible. I mean, that's how you use all that polygon pushing power.

I like that brown and grey stuff but Nintendo impresses me every gen with sometimes less power at their disposal than any Halo/Gears/Dooty/etc does. It's all about how you use it.

Top Bottom